PDA

View Full Version : car still overheating

98blackcivic
06-20-2009, 06:38 PM
i changed my radiator on my 98 civic about a month ago. Recently like about a week or 2 ago, i noticed that during idle when im at a red light or parked, my temperature guage starts climbing.
but when i start driving, the guage's needle plunges back and indicates normal engine operation temperature.

Last night i noticed that it was "overheating" even during the drive at low speeds.
so today i replaced my thermostat and added fresh coolant. However, the problem persists and i cant think what could be the problem.

Now this auto parts store honda mechanic advised me to bleed the air bubbles out of my cooling system or whatnot. I researched a little and did not find this bleeder valve she told me to look for.

Im sick of this problem and CANNOT turn to any shops...

What do you think could be the issue????and what do i do???

98blackcivic
06-20-2009, 07:17 PM
felt the upper radiator and it was very hot, while the lower radiator hose feels slightly warm.

:thinking:

Barefoot
06-20-2009, 07:45 PM
is your fan coming on.

98blackcivic
06-20-2009, 07:46 PM
yea the fan turns on
i realized the temp of the hoses does not matter cuz my dad's accord's radiator hoses felt the same in temp..and his car runs fine

schia89
06-20-2009, 08:25 PM
sounds like a headgasket

HMGDRFTER
06-20-2009, 08:51 PM
no i don't think it's the head gasket, i had the same problem with my s14, it is the air bubbles and the thermostats, but you have to find that air hole screw to let out all the air, then unblock that button on the bottom of your radiator to let out all the water, coolant, and then put the plug back in and tighten the air hole, then refill with water and coolant. Unless your car is smoking hella bad then it's not the head gasket. It could be your water pump too, or it could be your thermostats, sometimes autozone or advance auto parts sell bad ones.

WalkS
06-20-2009, 11:15 PM
i say replace the waterpump:.

D3UC3S
06-20-2009, 11:34 PM
or just let the car get up to normal operating temp with the rad cap off....wait to see the thermostat open(lots of bubbles and moving coolant), fill it up the rest of the way and put the cap on and ride.

Barefoot
06-21-2009, 08:44 AM
or just let the car get up to normal operating temp with the rad cap off....wait to see the thermostat open(lots of bubbles and moving coolant), fill it up the rest of the way and put the cap on and ride.:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

smokeyj
06-21-2009, 08:57 AM
I had same problem in one of my civics and it turned out it was head gasket

99jdmLs
06-21-2009, 09:03 AM
or just let the car get up to normal operating temp with the rad cap off....wait to see the thermostat open(lots of bubbles and moving coolant), fill it up the rest of the way and put the cap on and ride.
quick and easy....:goodjob:

and btw, don't open the radiator cap if the car is already hot...:doh: wait till its completely cooled down and do it..

D3UC3S
06-21-2009, 10:01 AM

and btw, don't open the radiator cap if the car is already hot...:doh: wait till its completely cooled down and do it..

NO DOUBT!!! Coolant burns are not cool...lol

98blackcivic
06-21-2009, 10:14 AM

lol i actually did that...it was a geyser and i ran when the hot coolant went airborne..lol

hey i think my problem is fixed...i did a combination of putting more fuild, doing shit wit pressure and letting it bubble...
idk how to get the air bubbles out because i read somewhere that after 1995, honda stopped making bleeder valves... but idk i messed all day with my car and i think the problem is now fixed...i let just let the car idle for 20 minutes and no over heating!!!
thanks alot guyss:cheers:

D3UC3S
06-21-2009, 10:15 AM
d'oh!!!

now you know for next time.....if you absolutely have to do that again....tae off the cap with a thick rag instead of your bare hand!

Glad to hear you are trouble free now!