PDA

View Full Version : Main and Rod Bearings ???

GaGen2Teg
06-20-2009, 05:13 PM
So Im about to rebuild this b17a and ill be ordering new bearings. I was searching round and I see that they have different sizes. What size am I suppose to buy?

Barefoot
06-20-2009, 05:58 PM
2 ways to do it.

1) plastigauge with old bearing and find out
2) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/partsforsale/94723860.gifthen plastigauge again to be sure.

iam99x
06-20-2009, 06:14 PM
If the OP is asking this question, then he probably has no idea what you're talking about.

Plastigage is the cheap and easy way to go. It works just fine if your not building some high horsepower track engine that you want to be 100% perfect, but I'd rather know my clearances regardless of the purpose of the engine.

Read up on Plastigage, and understand how it is used before using it. I'm sure it will do you just fine.

Barefoot
06-20-2009, 06:24 PM
If the OP is asking this question, then he probably has no idea what you're talking about.
thats why google is there. he has to do some work. cant have all the answer handed to. no fun in that.

iam99x
06-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Indeed.

SiRed94
06-20-2009, 06:31 PM
I think he was meaning like .10, .50 oversized bearings etc. But yeah, Honda is the only company with color-coded bearings. The only way to get the exact clearances and corresponding color codes is to plasti-gauge. If you are going with aftermarket bearings like ACL or something. Just use the standard size bearings if you haven't had the crank turned or anything. Still check your clearances with the plasti-gauge though.

GaGen2Teg
06-20-2009, 07:00 PM
I think he was meaning like .10, .50 oversized bearings etc. But yeah, Honda is the only company with color-coded bearings. The only way to get the exact clearances and corresponding color codes is to plasti-gauge. If you are going with aftermarket bearings like ACL or something. Just use the standard size bearings if you haven't had the crank turned or anything. Still check your clearances with the plasti-gauge though.

yeah thats what i was trying to ask...i know about plastigauge though. so standard sized acl bearings will work since my crank has never been turned or anything...should i get the crank turned or anything?

Barefoot
06-20-2009, 07:25 PM
should i get the crank turned or anything?have it tested for out of round.