PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods To V-band or Not to V-band...I think that's the question

TheChosenOne
06-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Well, I'm finally almost done with my setup for my hatch. It's a bone stock d15b7, with a pieced together 16g turbo setup. My question is, since my 16g is a 4 bolt turbo, I couldn't just buy the typical "Ebay" 5-bolt downpipe. I came across a 3" V-band downpipe, and all I really want to know is, besides convenience, does the V-band style flange have any pros/cons?

turbomirage
06-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Try to run the v-band assembly if you can. The only pro is easy installation. There really is no con. It will save you alot of time and headaches if you go with a v-band. I had a 4-bolt outlet once and I now have a v-band outlet... I am really happy that I have the v-band now. Do it, plus it looks sick too! :goodjob:

Annihilation
06-18-2009, 02:51 PM
I have a v band on my down pipe and wastegate ..its great, never leaks, no gaskets to worry about no bolts to check besides 1 nut...

TheChosenOne
06-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Try to run the v-band assembly if you can. The only pro is easy installation. There really is no con. It will save you alot of time and headaches if you go with a v-band. I had a 4-bolt outlet once and I now have a v-band outlet... I am really happy that I have the v-band now. Do it, plus it looks sick too! :goodjob:
Sick. Well, I found a Canadian company who makes an adapter for my 4-bolt to a 3" V-band, so I ordered that today, and i think I found the perfect DP that will have 2 o2 bungs, and clear the A/C! :crazy:

Here's the 2.5" 4-bolt to 3" V-band adapter
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k292/unuselectus/downpipe2.jpg

and 3" downpipe...
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k292/unuselectus/downpipe.jpg

:D... excuse my excitement but this is my first boost build.

Z0_o6
06-18-2009, 06:55 PM
i personally run a 4-bolt on my STi, but I do like the v-band setups. they look really nice, have less complexity and less likelihood to leak.

green91
06-18-2009, 07:30 PM
I think the biggest pro is fitment and the ability to turn the the pipe etc. It sucks if you get your welds off just a little on the downpipe and its at an angle LOL. Plus if you ever change turbos etc its a much more generic flange and you can possibly get away without having to refab pipes.

Z0_o6
06-18-2009, 07:39 PM
i want a vband housing on my 35R, after using v-bands on my wastegate i've been really impressed with them, however i'm just not willing to change my up-pipe and downpipe.

Bus Driver J
06-18-2009, 08:09 PM
i want a vband housing on my 35R, after using v-bands on my wastegate i've been really impressed with them, however i'm just not willing to change my up-pipe and downpipe.
What setup are you running? Only good V-band setup thats out now is the AMS kit. Uses the Tial stainless V-band hot side. Only problem is its $5k. But its SICK. Weve done 2 now at the shop.

Z0_o6
06-18-2009, 08:11 PM
I have an old Kingpin rotated setup, with a TiAL 44mm v-band EWG. It works well enough that I see no need to change it yet. And it was relatively cheap lol

TheChosenOne
06-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm looking forward to everything getting here so I can get it all together and put on the dyno. :DThe only other thing is where I can get good bolts that will fit my turbo???

Z0_o6
06-18-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm looking forward to everything getting here so I can get it all together and put on the dyno. :DThe only other thing is where I can get good bolts that will fit my turbo???

Lowes. pretty much any stainless Grade 8 bolts will be fine provided they are the correct size and thread pitch.

TheChosenOne
06-19-2009, 02:56 AM
Lowes. pretty much any stainless Grade 8 bolts will be fine provided they are the correct size and thread pitch.Yea... it's that pitch and thread thing that i'm most concerned about. I've got a cast manifold, and some off the threads are suspect. Is there a way to fix the threads?

turbomirage
06-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Yea... it's that pitch and thread thing that i'm most concerned about. I've got a cast manifold, and some off the threads are suspect. Is there a way to fix the threads?

Yeah, you can re-tap the threads and clean them up. You can buy a kit that has all the tools and fittings you need to do it. It's easy, but take your time doing it.

scttydb411
06-19-2009, 10:57 PM
don't forget the split and flat washers.

TheChosenOne
06-20-2009, 11:13 AM
don't forget the split and flat washers.
Good call. :D

uproot
06-20-2009, 11:17 AM
oh oh.

lol.

SpooL'DGsR
06-20-2009, 08:15 PM
currently running a v band and no problems whatsoever.

TheChosenOne
06-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Does anyone know where I can buy the v-band clamp locally?

TheChosenOne
06-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Truck Pro seems to be the only source on the Northside. I'm headed out there now to pick up my clamp!

p.s. I'm in the mood for a build thread, soooo, yea. That's what's next! :cheers: :boobies::crazy::taun::goodjob:

TheChosenOne
06-28-2009, 01:57 PM
uuuuhhhh, well, as expected, I kinda ran into some shyt i can't trouble shoot myself.

When I put the V-band flange from the downpipe up to the v-band flange from the turbo, the turbo's flange is about 1mm larger in circumference. Will that matter once the clamp is on, or should I make sure it's a dead on match. Keep in mind, they both are 3' v-band flanges, but for some reason, they arent the EXACT same size. :thinking:

Z0_o6
06-28-2009, 02:03 PM
See that the clamp goes on and makes a positive engagement. If you assemble it all that it still doesn't feel right go from there. I'm pretty sure that once you get it together you'll see that it works.

chaseamundo
06-28-2009, 03:50 PM
ummmm question. whats a v-band?

turbomirage
06-28-2009, 10:34 PM
1mm in size shouldn't make a difference in whether the v-band seals correctly. Ideally, you would want the rings to be the exact same size so you get optimum seal, but in the case where one ring is 1mm bigger, I wouldn't worry about it. As stated before, try putting it all together and see if it works correctly.

A v-band assembly is connecting two circular 'ring' flanges together by using a T-bolt style 'ring' clamp. The clamp holds and seals the two ring flanges together, thus the use of a gasket is not needed. This assembly is normally used in exhaust systems. Sort of hard to explain with words... maybe someone can post up a picture of a v-band assembly.

K24cb7coupe
06-29-2009, 05:39 AM
should be running a turbo f22b2

SPOOLIN
06-29-2009, 07:49 AM
my whole setup is v banded from both turbo outlets to the wastegates dumps and the whole exhaust...everytime i work on it i thank myself.

Z0_o6
06-29-2009, 07:51 PM
my whole setup is v banded from both turbo outlets to the wastegates dumps and the whole exhaust...everytime i work on it i thank myself.

amen to that shit, I was thankful as hell when I installed my wastegate and BOV due to the V-band's. I'd like to V-band everything else. Other than cost, would there be any downside to replacing the couplers on the intercooler piping with v-bands? You couldn't pop them off that's for sure!

SPOOLIN
06-29-2009, 10:07 PM
my turbo is v banded directly to my intercooler, unless you have 85a or harder engine mounts i wouldn't recommend a full v-band setup for charge piping. I still use couplers but im sure next time around i will do v bands the rest of the way...that or hargett connectors.

Z0_o6
06-29-2009, 10:53 PM
my turbo is v banded directly to my intercooler, unless you have 85a or harder engine mounts i wouldn't recommend a full v-band setup for charge piping. I still use couplers but im sure next time around i will do v bands the rest of the way...that or hargett connectors.

link to hargett connectors for comparison? The reason I am considering the v-bands on my FMIC piping is because of the boost I'll be running in the near future I just think they would be much less prone to leaking and coming loose, but you make a valid point about NEEDING very rigid mounting to everything to keep it together. The FMIC core itself is bolted to the car well enough to literally stand on, and the mounts will be stiffened dramatically to control movement, so I think it would work out well, and you can't deny the baller factor of it and how nice and clean they look. It would still be much easier than 1-piece charge pipes as well when they require removal/installation.

SPOOLIN
06-30-2009, 07:28 AM
http://www.hargettprecision.com/index.php?cPath=50

Z0_o6
06-30-2009, 10:28 AM
http://www.hargettprecision.com/index.php?cPath=50

thanks! those look VERY interesting and easy to use, the only issue I forsee with them is having to TIG weld them, but that's still not a biggie.

TheChosenOne
06-30-2009, 10:31 AM
Don't think I haven't been soaking up all this info. But back on topic, I ordered the OBX 3" V-b and clamp and flange, but I've been reassured from your post that the downpipe and turbo should seal up no problem. :D

I'll post pix when I get my stuff in the mail and assemble everything

jadakid88
06-30-2009, 11:56 AM
im going to be running a v band as well...:ninja:

turbomirage
06-30-2009, 03:49 PM
As Spoolin has stated, I would not recommend running a full v-band set-up on your intercooler set-up without some VERY solid motor mounts. If you don't, you will end up breaking your intercooler piping and clamps, due to them having zero flex space when your engine rocks back and forth. Having silicone couplers throughout your intercooler tract helps provide that flex for your intercooler set-up when your engine rocks back and forth.

Full V-band assembly thoughout intercooler track = solid motor mounts... if you do this, then you will be alright to run all the v-bands you want! :goodjob:

TheChosenOne
07-02-2009, 05:20 PM
I just want to run a V-band on the downpipe... :rolleyes:. It's becoming a bit of a hassle because the adapter that bolts to my turbo must be a custom 3" measurement because not even the SECOND set of flanes and clamps would fit right. :(

Looks like i'm just going to order the flange and clamps for the same company who made my adapter and wait even longer for it to come it the mail. :rolleyes: