PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3GS/ iPhone OS 3.0

The Ninja
06-17-2009, 06:42 PM
So.... Who has updated already and what do you think of the new features??

I think the phone search feature isn't really much. I guess because I have very little need for it myself.

What do you guys think???

13Bracer
06-17-2009, 06:49 PM
downloading now...so you can now receive and send pics via iphone now?

ATLSRT8
06-17-2009, 06:51 PM

I just updated and don't see MMS, think it's not till late summer. Unless I am completely missing it, which is a possibility. I like the landscape texting

13Bracer
06-17-2009, 06:54 PM
I just updated and don't see MMS, think it's not till late summer. Unless I am completely missing it, which is a possibility. I like the landscape texting
aaah gotcha good sir....:goodjob:

The Ninja
06-17-2009, 06:55 PM

Well... on Apple's end you can, but AT&T is delaying providing the tethering and MMS service until later in the summer for undisclosed reasons...heres the response they had to the fan's outrage.

Regarding MMS:

We absolutely will offer MMS on iPhone 3G S in late summer once we complete some system upgrades that will ensure our customers have the best experience with MMS. These upgrades are unrelated to our 3G network. When MMS is ready, we will let customers know.

Regarding offering a tethering plan:

We plan to offer one but we don’t have an announcement to make at this time.

Joe Chandler
Executive Director
AT&T Corporate Communications

13Bracer
06-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Well... on Apple's end you can, but AT&T is delaying providing the tethering and MMS service until later in the summer for undisclosed reasons...heres the response they had to the fan's outrage.

lame stuff right there

The Ninja
06-17-2009, 06:58 PM

Same, but I gotta remind myself I can do it whenever I'm texting lol. I don't like the fact that it doesn't swap applications in landscape mode, it has to revert to portrait and then change to landscape.

.blank cd
06-17-2009, 07:27 PM
3.0 was a complete letdown. Especially since ATT has their heads up their ass. They are completely ready, if not, they've had YEARS to prepare. They knew it was coming.

13Bracer
06-17-2009, 07:30 PM
3.0 was a complete letdown. Especially since ATT has their heads up their ass. They are completely ready, if not, they've had YEARS to prepare. They knew it was coming.
just got it downloaded...def a let down...:(
i mean the landscape text is cool but thats about it..ha

The Ninja
06-17-2009, 07:32 PM

It wasn't a complete letdown, =/. It gave us landscape keyboard in msg'ing, and c/p, as well as a shake to shuffle feature in the iPod. Also, the voice control is supposedly awesome and works well.

.blank cd
06-17-2009, 07:34 PM
I dont even like the landscape texting. My fat ass fingers cant reach that far

.blank cd
06-17-2009, 07:36 PM
It wasn't a complete letdown, =/. It gave us landscape keyboard in msg'ing, and c/p, as well as a shake to shuffle feature in the iPod. Also, the voice control is supposedly awesome and works well.shake to shufle - not that cool, whats wrong with touching the shuffle button thats right there? voice control is 3GS only, i think the only highlight here is MMS and stereo bluetooth profile.

The Ninja
06-17-2009, 07:46 PM
shake to shufle - not that cool, whats wrong with touching the shuffle button thats right there? voice control is 3GS only, i think the only highlight here is MMS and stereo bluetooth profile.

Well... I guess the 3.0 software was a big disappointment for you, but I enjoy the landscape texting. I find it easy/fun to type on with my slender dexterous fingers. =)

Also, autofill for usernames/passwords in safari, exchange support, internet tethering (once AT&T finds out you can't see the light with your head 6ft deep in your ass), buy/rent movies with itunes from iphone, and the improved calendar.

.blank cd
06-17-2009, 07:50 PM
the iTunes thing is kinda cool. But you probably wont take advantang of tethering, as it WILL cost a premium. No doubt about that

The Ninja
06-17-2009, 07:51 PM
the iTunes thing is kinda cool. But you probably wont take advantang of tethering, as it WILL cost a premium. No doubt about that

Yeppers.

EM1toEVO
06-17-2009, 09:47 PM
What exactly is tethering? I just finished updating to 3.0, and it seems worth it to me. I like the horizontal texting.

The Ninja
06-17-2009, 09:53 PM
What exactly is tethering? I just finished updating to 3.0, and it seems worth it to me. I like the horizontal texting.

Tethering is basically using your iPhone like a modem for your laptop/pc so that your pc can browse the web.

EM1toEVO
06-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Ah, makes sense now. I had no idea the iphone was so powerful. Right now I'm downloading the NFS Undercover app. for $6.99

13Bracer
06-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Ah, makes sense now. I had no idea the iphone was so powerful. Right now I'm downloading the NFS Undercover app. for $6.99
ha that app is pretty cool...i got it when it was 9.99 ftl..lol

so im a lil confused later when they offer mms will you have to hve the new iphone 3gs?

The Ninja
06-17-2009, 10:21 PM
ha that app is pretty cool...i got it when it was 9.99 ftl..lol

so im a lil confused later when they offer mms will you have to hve the new iphone 3gs?

No. It will be available for the 3g as well, though I don't believe the first gen will support it for some odd reason, =/.

I still haven't gotten anything but free apps, I haven't found anything worth dishing out $1-$5 for. Please, enlighten me. I enjoy my free apps........

ATLSRT8
06-17-2009, 10:41 PM
No. It will be available for the 3g as well, though I don't believe the first gen will support it for some odd reason, =/.

I still haven't gotten anything but free apps, I haven't found anything worth dishing out $1-$5 for. Please, enlighten me. I enjoy my free apps........

You sure? Post #5 from AT&T only talks about the 3GS, not the 3G. That would be a bunch of bullshit if they didn't offer MMS for the 3G. Also, I only have free apps as well. Anyone got some legit apps that are worth the money?

13Bracer
06-17-2009, 10:52 PM
doodle jump and flight control are the only paid ones i really play..lol
good ones to pass a few minutes when needed

DmC
06-17-2009, 11:10 PM
I jailbreaked my iphone and I tether just fine with it. It does drain the battery as the phone as to constantly on. But not hard at all if you absolutely have to tether.

.blank cd
06-18-2009, 07:36 AM
Jailbreak FTL

Paul
06-18-2009, 07:50 AM
Cut + Copy + Paste is the feature i was waiting for... this will help me when i'm not in the office to help out my company when they need tech support over the phone. :goodjob:

collins
06-18-2009, 12:14 PM
i'm about to update mine, and this is what was on the screen where you "accept" the terms. straight up copied/pasted.

iPhone OS 3.0 Software Update

This update contains over 100 new features, including the following:

• Cut, Copy & Paste with shake to undo
• Landscape keyboard in key applications
• Enhanced Messages application
- Send and receive photos, contacts, audio files, and location via MMS*
- Forward and delete single or multiple messages
• Added search feature in Mail, Calendar, Notes and iPod
• Spotlight search across iPhone
• Support for CalDAV and subscriptions in Calendar
• Improvements to Safari
- Performance
- HTML 5 support
- HTTP Streaming audio and video
- Auto-fill usernames and passwords
• New Voice Memos application
• Sync Notes with a Mac or PC via iTunes
• Internet Tethering over USB and Bluetooth*
• Browse and download movies, TV shows, and audiobooks from the iTunes Store**
• Stereo Bluetooth***
• Wi-Fi auto login
• Enhanced Stocks application
• More Parental Control options for Apps, Music, Movies and TV Shows
• iTunes account creation and login**
• YouTube account login and access to subscriptions, ratings and favorites**
• Shake to shuffle
• New languages, dictionaries, and keyboards
• Find my iPhone and Remote Wipe via MobileMe (subscription required)**
• Support for more Exchange policies
• Create and send Exchange meeting invitations
• Search mail on server (Exchange Server 2007 and supported IMAP servers)
• Search LDAP company directory
• VPN on demand and VPN proxy support
• Encrypted configuration profiles
• Encrypted iTunes backups
• 1,000 new developer APIs, including:
- In App Purchases
- Apple Push Notification Service
- Accessories support
- Peer to Peer Connectivity
- Embedded Maps
- iPod Library Access
• Bug fixes

Products compatible with this software update:
• iPhone
• iPhone 3G
• iPhone 3G S

* Compatible only with iPhone 3G and iPhone 3G S and requires support from your wireless provider.
** Not available in all regions or in all languages.
*** Compatible only with iPhone 3G and iPhone 3G S.

For feature descriptions and complete instructions, see the user guide for your iPhone at:
<http://www.apple.com/support/manuals/iphone>

For more information about iPhone, go to:
<http://www.apple.com/iphone>

To troubleshoot your iPhone, or to view additional support information go to:
<http://www.apple.com/support/iphone>

For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website:
<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222>

1SICKLEX
06-18-2009, 10:49 PM
Apple and AT&T are responding to the uproar from current iPhone owners about the upgrade policy...

If you complain -- loudly -- Steve Jobs and friends will listen.

In response to online tirades from existing Apple iPhone owners, iPhone service provider AT&T changed its upgrade policy today to allow more users to buy new phones at introductory prices. IPhone 3G owners who would be eligible to upgrade in July, August or September can now purchase the recently released iPhone 3G S for the same $199 price as new customers. The new upgrade policy takes effect today, Thursday, June 18.

"We've been listening to our customers. And since many of our iPhone 3G customers are early adopters and literally weeks shy of being upgrade eligible due to iPhone 3G S launching 11 months after iPhone 3G, we're extending the window of upgrade eligibility for a limited time," said AT&T in a statement on the corporate Web site.

http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/topstocks/archive/2009/06/18/iphone-owners-qualify-for-discount-phone.aspx