PDA

View Full Version : Outdoors Good spots for bass/stripers

Paree4g63
06-16-2009, 07:43 PM
What are some guaranteed spots where bass/stripers can be caught without going home empty-handed?

I've always fished at a certain spot on a Lanier island which has had 30ib's caught before by shore.

Other then that, what are some other spots that are hot!

I use live herring whenever possible; when their dead; i cut them up and throw it into the deep side. Weight, swivel, about over a feet of stronger line, then a 1/0 size hook(gamakatsu or lazer sharp hook) is my setup.

YoTa_BoX
06-22-2009, 09:13 AM
Right now Lanier and altoona have great fishing either first thing in the morning or right at night fall. The past few days iv been fishing Altoona at around 8pm down at the lower part of the lake near the damn. This time of year fish are going to be in deep water so on Lanier your going to want to fish around the damn as well. Mid day is going to be a tough bite and your going to have to fish deep.

Get out there around 7 or so and watch for fish busting the top of the water and throw a bucktail jig or a roostertail right in the middle of the fish and you are pretty much guaranteed to catch a fish. The fish are schoolies mainly so around 3-10lbs. There will be a few big ones in there but you just gota get lucky on those. If your going for the morning bite get out there around 6 and watch for the fish busting the top.

Trolling is another great thing this time of year, You can do this in between watching for pods of busting fish. Just get you a deep diving crank bait and troll along side the river channel, Also troll a bucktail jig for any fish that are near the top. Like i said before the Mid day bite is going to be really hard so try fishing the mornings and late afternoon.

Hope this helped you out some man!! good luck out there.

Places to try are near Cocktail cove, West bank park, youngdeer creek, ballridge also can try 3 sisters.

Paree4g63
08-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Right now Lanier and altoona have great fishing either first thing in the morning or right at night fall. The past few days iv been fishing Altoona at around 8pm down at the lower part of the lake near the damn. This time of year fish are going to be in deep water so on Lanier your going to want to fish around the damn as well. Mid day is going to be a tough bite and your going to have to fish deep.

Get out there around 7 or so and watch for fish busting the top of the water and throw a bucktail jig or a roostertail right in the middle of the fish and you are pretty much guaranteed to catch a fish. The fish are schoolies mainly so around 3-10lbs. There will be a few big ones in there but you just gota get lucky on those. If your going for the morning bite get out there around 6 and watch for the fish busting the top.

Trolling is another great thing this time of year, You can do this in between watching for pods of busting fish. Just get you a deep diving crank bait and troll along side the river channel, Also troll a bucktail jig for any fish that are near the top. Like i said before the Mid day bite is going to be really hard so try fishing the mornings and late afternoon.

Hope this helped you out some man!! good luck out there.

Places to try are near Cocktail cove, West bank park, youngdeer creek, ballridge also can try 3 sisters.

Thanks for the info mann..I rarely use lures; mainly live herring. But its worth a try someday. Thanks again

THEONE
08-07-2009, 02:13 PM
i must be a lousy fisherman cause i never have had one single hit on lures or plastic bait at lanier . i caught a catfish one time with a worm and a asston of brim or panfish (yummy)other than that nothing. and i fish right by the dam.
when i go i set up 3 or 4 poles with live bait and 1 pole for jigs and such. man i miss salt water fishing.

YoTa_BoX
08-07-2009, 02:48 PM
When i posted this, it was right at when it was just beginning to heat up. Its to hot now to really do any top water fishing like it was back then.

Now the fish are on any type of deep structure trees,rock piles exe... gotta use a fish finder and slowly move around the lake looking for fish, Then drop minnows down where the are.

Paree4g63
08-07-2009, 03:19 PM
Thats pretty dam hard to spot fish on the surface. I only see fish jump in the mornings man. haha Other then that, i see some minnows swimming fast on the surface; probably evading to be eaten. Where do you all fish @ the dam? Is it buford dam? cause the dam only has trout if we're talking about the same spot? I tried west bank; waters too shallow to bank fish! You'd have to throw really far to get into the deep. I go to this spot in gainseville; it's still lanier but its on a remote island. No one would know about this spot publicly.

YoTa_BoX
08-07-2009, 04:47 PM
A lot of the times when you see the minnows swimming fast on the surface as you said its either spots,stripes or white bass chasing them to the top.

Spots and white bass ( even stripes ) tend to push minnows towards the bank so keep a watch all around you. And fishing right off the damn you can catch big stripes, Use a slip float rig with a good amount of weight, throw as far as you can out and let the minnow go down about 20-25 feet. Fish the early mornings and late evenings. Its really to hot during the day.

Paree4g63
08-07-2009, 07:07 PM
A lot of the times when you see the minnows swimming fast on the surface as you said its either spots,stripes or white bass chasing them to the top.

Spots and white bass ( even stripes ) tend to push minnows towards the bank so keep a watch all around you. And fishing right off the damn you can catch big stripes, Use a slip float rig with a good amount of weight, throw as far as you can out and let the minnow go down about 20-25 feet. Fish the early mornings and late evenings. Its really to hot during the day.

The only dam I know is where the trouts are; the lower part entrance where the water rises and the cliff is. Gates open up and water rises letting the trout out. Where's the dam you're talking about @?

YoTa_BoX
08-07-2009, 07:18 PM
lol out on the rocks in front of the damn, out in the main body of the lake. You can climb down those rocks and fish off of them :)

Its really deep water right there and guides have been catching a ton of stripes right there the past few weeks.

Paree4g63
08-08-2009, 11:18 PM
lol out on the rocks in front of the damn, out in the main body of the lake. You can climb down those rocks and fish off of them :)

Its really deep water right there and guides have been catching a ton of stripes right there the past few weeks.

Dam, haha that pic sure helped me figure out what y'all were talking about. If y'all fish there too, then i bet alot of others would too? No space for me, eh? I thought that section was off limits to us and where would we park? Looks like a good spot but no shade. :goodjob: