PDA

View Full Version : Bought my wife a new DD.

allmotoronly
06-15-2009, 10:48 PM

Brian*
06-15-2009, 10:49 PM
Hell yeah, my girl wants the same car*

allmotoronly
06-15-2009, 10:52 PM
Hell yeah, my girl wants the same car*

I was actually surprised at the available options for this car. It rides very smoothly, even with the low profile tires. On the interstate on the way home from the stealership it was averaging 48-51mpg lol.

HachiDori
06-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Wow. I like that alot actually. very nice congrats!

allmotoronly
06-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Wow. I like that alot actually. very nice congrats!

Thanks!!!

PreludeVTEC01
06-15-2009, 11:44 PM
Interior is very classy!

fat mack
06-15-2009, 11:47 PM
she must have been very happy and you must have been very happy that night too. ;) haha. good stuff man.

BITCHING
06-16-2009, 12:56 AM
its ok but looks like your go thur hell changing that cd player

allmotoronly
06-16-2009, 01:46 AM
its ok but looks like your go thur hell changing that cd player

why would I need to change the cd player? The one in it has a built in 6 disk changer, built in hard drive, plays mp3's and pretty much any other format, and interfaces directly with my iphone. The factory sound system already sounds good.

red08passat
06-16-2009, 07:16 AM
Looks good!

Elbow
06-16-2009, 07:17 AM
Hell yeah I love these.

EL-CANGRI
06-16-2009, 02:47 PM
damn nice car man

Sammich
06-16-2009, 02:52 PM
REAL NICE...

WTF?
06-16-2009, 03:07 PM
very nice i love these new VW's

VWGirl
06-16-2009, 03:16 PM
My fiance was talking about getting one of these too... I don't know why, he's not a VW guy... so I am sure it would just be to make me happy... and I am happy with my 71 fastback as my DD :)

I **thought** the new Jetta diesels got better mileage than the old mk1 models finally... I heard they got like 60? maybe that's for next years model?

G.C
06-16-2009, 03:25 PM
very nice car.. congrats.

allmotoronly
06-16-2009, 04:36 PM
My fiance was talking about getting one of these too... I don't know why, he's not a VW guy... so I am sure it would just be to make me happy... and I am happy with my 71 fastback as my DD :)

I **thought** the new Jetta diesels got better mileage than the old mk1 models finally... I heard they got like 60? maybe that's for next years model?

this is the newest model. It beat the guiness book record for highest gas mileage across the lower 48 states (58.xx mpg).

Nerdsrock22
06-16-2009, 05:04 PM
I've heard a lot of good things about these. Nice purchase.

MyTurboTegra
06-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Damn. This thing gets better gas mileage than my under powered beater. I'm going to have to take another look at VW. They're doing it right. Congrats on the sweet ride.

ShooterMcGavin
06-16-2009, 06:26 PM
nice, when you chipping it? :D

Z0_o6
06-16-2009, 06:31 PM
pretty slick man, nice car. i just bought my fiance a new car too, its a fun thing isn't it! you get the credit for getting a car you wanted anyways LOL

allmotoronly
06-16-2009, 08:08 PM
nice, when you chipping it? :D

lol, as soon as someone brings a good chip to market. Bully dog is one of the only companies who make anything for the new TDI. They have a performance module that is good for 25+whp and 30-40lb-ft torgue. The problem most are having is with the highly advanced (and complicated) high and low pressure EGR system and a new type of catalytic converter that cannot be removed. The euro spec version of this same engine produces 170hp by using larger injectors and uses a less restrictive emission control system. Sure, getting over 200hp out of this engine would be easy. The turbo is easily capable of well over 200hp. The fuel system itself would be up to the task. The problem is that most performance diesel tuners make hp by adding more fuel, which usually causes more of that black smoke that diesels are notorious for. The soot particles would quickly clog up the cat. Also, since the low pressure EGR recirculated exhaust gasses from downstream of the cat, you would pretty much be dumping sooty exhaust back into the engine.

To make true power, someone is going to have to come up with a EGR delete, complete tune, and a much less restrictive cat, and from what I've read, possibly a different injector pump. This will probably not alter fuel economy (may even increase fuel economy), but it definitely won't be a "clean diesel" anymore.

I give it a year at most before there are 2009+ TDI's on the road with over 200hp. Someone will figure it out.

Frög
06-16-2009, 08:14 PM
NICE!!

LOL @ stealership! I always say that too!!

Dville nismo
06-16-2009, 08:16 PM
damn thats a nice car.

VooDooXII
06-16-2009, 08:34 PM
NICE! I'll definitely vouch for diesel Volkswagens. My dad has a Golf TDI. The response of the car really belies its 100 bhp rating. The torque from those engines is really something.

bbuba
06-16-2009, 11:10 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/jdmludesir/DPR_0007.jpgWut does that stand for?
Diesel's
So
Gay

J/K
i like it alot
MPG is a mutha fukin PLUS+++++

allmotoronly
06-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Wut does that stand for?
Diesel's
So
Gay

J/K
i like it alot
MPG is a mutha fukin PLUS+++++

It actually stands for Dodge's Suck Gorillaballs.

from About.com

The twin-clutch transmission, also known as the Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) or dual-clutch transmission, is an automated transmission that can change gears faster than any other geared transmission. Twin-clutch transmissions deliver more power and better control than a traditional automatic transmission and faster performance than a manual transmission. Originally marketed by Volkswagen as the DSG and Audi as the S-Tronic, twin-clutch transmissions are now being offered by several automakers, including Nissan, Mitsubishi, BMW and Porsche.

Before DSG: The SMT

The twin clutch/DSG is a development of the sequential manual transmission (SMT), which is essentially a fully-automated manual transmission with a computer-controlled clutch, intended to deliver stick-shift performance with automatic convenience. The advantage of an SMT is that it uses a solid coupling (the clutch), which provides a direct connection between engine and transmission and allows 100% of the engine's power to be transmitted to the wheels. (Traditional automatics use a fluid coupling called a torque converter, which allows some slippage.) The chief drawback of the SMT is the same as that of a manual: In order to change gears, the engine and transmission must be disconnected, interrupting the flow of power.

Twin-clutch: Solving the SMT's problems

The twin-clutch transmission was designed to eliminate the lag inherent in SMTs and manuals. The twin-clutch transmission is essentially two separate transmissions with a pair of clutches between them. One transmission (or gearbox) provides odd-numbered speeds (ie first, third and fifth gear), the other provides even-numbered speeds (second, fourth and sixth). When the car starts out, the "odd" gearbox is in first gear and the "even" gearbox is in second gear. The clutch engages the odd gearbox and the car starts out in first gear. When it's time to change gears, the transmission simply uses the clutches to switch from the odd gearbox to the even gearbox, for a near-instant change to second gear. The odd gearbox immediately pre-selects third gear. At the next change the transmission swaps gearboxes again, engaging third gear, and the even gearbox pre-selects fourth gear. The twin-clutch transmission's computerized controller calculates the next likely gearchange based on speed and driver behavoior and has the "idle" gearbox pre-select that gear.

One advantage to both SMTs and twin-clutch/DSG transmissions is the ability to perform matched-rev downshifts. When a driver selects a lower gear, both types of transmission disengage the clutch(es) and rev the engine to the exact speed required by the selected gear. Not only does this make for a smoother downshift, but in the case of the twin-clutch transmission, it allows plenty of time for the proper gear to be pre-selected. Most (though not all) twin-clutch transmissions can skip gears when downshifting, i.e. shifting from 6th gear directly down to 3rd gear -- and because of their ability to match revs, they can do so without the lurching or surging typical of traditional automatic and manual transmissions.

Driving a car with a twin-clutch/DSG transmission

Twin-clutch equipped cars do not have a clutch pedal; the clutch is engaged and disengaged automatically. Most twin-clutch transmissions use an automatic-style shift selector with a traditional P-R-N-D or P-R-N-D-S (Sport) shift pattern. In Drive or Sport mode, the twin-clutch transmission operates like a regular automatic. In Drive, the transmission shifts to higher gears early in order to minimize engine noise and maximize fuel economy, while Sport mode holds the lower gears longer in order to keep the engine in its powerband. Sport mode also provides more aggressive downshifts with less accelerator pedal pressure, and in some cars, including most DSG-equipped VWs and Audis, engaging Sport mode also causes the car to react more aggressively to the accelerator pedal.

Most twin-clutch transmissions have a manual mode which allows manual shifting via the shift lever or paddles mounted on the steering wheel. When driven in manual mode, the clutch is still operated automatically, but the driver controls which gears are selected and when. The transmission will follow the driver's commands unless the selected gear would over-rev the engine (i.e. commanding first gear while driving 80 MPH).

Advantages of the twin-clutch/DSG transmission

The primary advantage of the twin-clutch/DSG is that it provides the same driving characteristics of a manual transmission (i.e. quicker throttle response and no drop in engine speed when the driver lifts off the accelerator) with the convenience of an automatic. However, the ability to perform near-instantaneous gearshifts gives the twin-clutch advantages over both manuals and SMTs. Volkswagen's DSG takes about 8 milliseconds to upshift. Compare that to the SMT in the Ferrari Enzo, which takes 150 ms to upshift. Instant gear shifts mean faster acceleration: According to Audi, the A3 runs 0-60 in 6.9 seconds with a 6-speed manual and 6.7 seconds with the 6-speed DSG.

ShooterMcGavin
06-16-2009, 11:49 PM
dsg ftmfw!

allmotoronly
06-17-2009, 12:10 AM
what other car can do 0-60 in 8 seconds when you are in a hurry and also get as much as 58mpg when you are cruising?

secondgencamaro
06-17-2009, 02:04 AM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b65/jdmludesir/DPR_0005.jpg

Silly Germans and their inability to reduce fractions.

bbuba
06-17-2009, 12:02 PM
lol

allmotoronly
06-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Silly Germans and their inability to reduce fractions.

I guess the "silly" italians can't either...

http://www.ferraris-online.com/cars/FE-F40-85034/images/P021Web.jpg