PDA

View Full Version : Outdoors NO more hunting HADJI for me - This sucks!

Truegiant
06-15-2009, 03:02 PM
I just got my Letter of Intent for my medical discharge today. I am at the house trying to print off and find all my military medical records. Now I get to start the 6 month bullshit MEB process.

I got injured twice during my last deployment to Iraq. Everything was fixed (to a certain degree) and back on the training pipeline I went. I had orders for Warrant Officer Candidate School and was awaiting that.

Then I fell at a M240/M249 automatic weapon range. I tore two ligaments in my shoulder and cracked my rotator cuff. I have had surgery and its just not getting better. I have done approx. 7 months of physical therapy total and the medical doctor told me today that she felt I was not fit for duty in my MOS. I agreed with her conclusion and received my official request for MEB.

The process is a long one. You get assigned a Physical Evaluation Board Liason Officer. PEBLO for short. The peblo puts together a list of all the things the military has done for you and not done for you for medical care. They compare your entry physical, give you a new two part physical, compile all that data and send it to the PEB board in TEXAS. The PEB board determines wether or not your fit for military service. They dont care what your restrictions within your MOS are they only determine if your eligible to stay in the military. If they determine you can stay in than you get the option of getting out or reclassing into another job.

The only disadvantage to reclassing into another job is the fact that its a needs of the army reclass. They look at what army jobs have the highest shortages and they mix that with what you can do with your profile limitations. I am going to entertain what they have to say. While your paperwork is there they also stick a percentage number on you. That is the amount of disability you will get paid when you get out.

Once all that info is decided and put into writing I get to choose my future. If I like the number they come back with and I can get a job on the outside I will more than likely just make the hop back on the civilian train and keep trucking from there. I have alot of money coming my way from the GI BILL and have decided I would like to entertain the idea of looking into other educational options aside from my already completed course of study.

I have already contacted and sent in my letters of request to several govt agencies. CIA, FBI, DEA, Border Patrol, FLETC, etc. I have been doing research and still have the long daunting task ahead of me on deciding what is going to be the best for my family. Owning two homes in GA makes me want to stay local for my family and my wife. But time will tell. I would really like to get an instructors position of some sort at one of the larger agencies. During my time in the military I have come to realize that I am a good teacher. I also have dreams of opening up my own tactical shooting store/range but getting the finances for that right now might not be as practical as i first imagined.

Enough of my ranting. Anyone got any ideas.

PS - I would love to do some contract work back in the big sandbox to get the capitol needed to open up my range but that is all depending on what happens with the new presidential administration. YES I have already been approached by some of the private security companies and qualify. The only thing about contract work is its there one day and can be gone the next. $200k a year is great money but if you only stay for 3 weeks and get pulled it sucks.

Danny
06-15-2009, 03:17 PM
sorry to hear about that brother. Maybe start your own training firm? Travel GA like some of the small time guys do and work up from there maybe? Ill be your first student, sign me up.

Any civilian jobs in mind (non agency/le)?

Truegiant
06-15-2009, 03:28 PM
I did civil engineering for about 5.5 years. I also worked for the dale jarret racing adventure, frm porsche, and rhinehardt audi racing for a total of about 1.5 years while i was at tech school. I did alot of test and tune driving, amatuer racing, etc back in the day. I enjoy working on cars and what not but its purely a hobby for me now. I wouldnt mind working back in the civil design side again but I got bored really fast working on the same projects for 5-6 months.

When I got done working on a 400 acre 4 phase subdivision in cleveland I put in my two weeks and joined the military, haha. I would hate to get back into something I wont enjoy.

patrick4588
06-23-2009, 11:15 AM
wow. good luck in the future man. hope you find something that makes you happy. being unhappy in your day to day job is the worst!

81911SC
06-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Good luck man.

SiRed94
06-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Good luck. Stay up.

Truegiant
06-24-2009, 04:36 PM
I got word that its going to be 2.5 months until i get my record review and another 5-6 months before the meb is done.

Hmm.. Not sure what I want to do now.