PDA

View Full Version : General Chat May Be Purchasing an IS300??

bowdown201
06-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Just wanted to hear some feedback from people that own/owned them on what kinda of car it is as far as maintenence and what not? Any pros and cons at all? Looking at 2001 to 03 year range give or take.

Twan0690
06-14-2009, 02:41 PM
You should try clublexus.com. They have answers to all of your questions.
I say buy it. I love my SC.

bowdown201
06-14-2009, 02:50 PM
yea i was looking at some forums earlier but couldnt really find a good one..ill check it out

dvlerin41
06-14-2009, 02:55 PM
uh ohh trav! IS300 Nice :) which ones u looking at?

bowdown201
06-14-2009, 02:57 PM
around 02 to 03. someone supposed to buy the hatch either this week or next and i might sell the 240 too and get one

E30 auddie
06-14-2009, 10:00 PM
I had a friend that had one. It was pretty nice. It was an auto which was gay. If I'm not mistaken they have the n.a. version of the MKIV supra's engine.

hondakid2
06-14-2009, 10:01 PM
If u got some extra cash to play with that is one sick car.... I had a friend that did the supra internals and single turbo and he was at like 460 on pump shit was sick!!

okra1981
06-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Try to find a manual, they are much harder to get a hold of though. My girl's friend has one and I'm just waiting for her to get tired of it and want something new, then I'll be ready for a sweet ass ride.
I'm not sure of their issues, I know that I've seen some with pretty high mileage, so I guess they are pretty reliable, it's a Toyota, so it should be a pretty decent car.

carbongs
06-15-2009, 11:14 PM
not very anything negative about those cars. basically a stout motor. 2jzge so fairly common motor. found in the toyota supra, lexus is, sc, and gs. very reliable motor. a few common issues are (after 90k) alternator, starter, ball joints, camshaft position sensor, TPS sensor on throttle body and the door lock actuators. Just make sure you keep up the regular maintenance and you'll have this car for years. the 2j motors are pretty much indestructible. I've seen several cars go over 300k without major problems.

Paree4g63
06-15-2009, 11:29 PM
02 and up are manual tranny available. Nice car; wouldn't mind one at all! Definitely 5speed is a must when having one! Although it does seem to lag every shift but it's all good. Luxury and a bit of speed; I like. :goodjob:

OnURleft
06-15-2009, 11:47 PM
My first cousin who is a close friend has an 02 5 speed w/ LSD with every bolt on (headers, cam gear, flywheel, SRT intake) and I really enjoy the car. For 10k or less I would call it a unique very tunable car for a good deal. Anything more and i'd probably just hold on to my money....
Pro's
-great chassis, predictable and quick for what it is
-smooth inline 6
-tunable, very, but it's not as easy to make big power as some say
-Fun to drive, he has shocks/springs and it'll hold its own on a fun track day
-nice interior bits (gauges, knobs, speakers, Nav on some)
Con's
-Cheap quality you usually get with small japanese sporty cars
-has had lots of maintenance. I don't recall but they dumped $1400 in it right away when it only had 60k, then 2k trying to get it to stop sucking down oil. It drinks a quart like ever 1000 miles. Basically it was obvious that the only way it would stop drinking oil would be with a new motor (this is when it only had 68k).
-light almost dead shifter

If I were given 10k to mess around with, I would consider it, but call me biased there is no way in hell i'd buy one when I could get my hands on an M3/4 which is in stock form, is a much better performance car and also very easy to make a solid 300-650 whp out of.

1SICKLEX
06-16-2009, 03:59 PM
Car is a beast. Fun to drive stock, very compact. 01 was auto only, no armrest but u can add one for like $100. Main problem was the CD changer would eat CDs but most ere replaced under warranty. HIDs standard all ISs as well as Escaine seating to grip you. Odometer is pattered after a watch. Car was safest in class.
0-60 in high 6s to low 7s. L-tuned parts were available from the factory. Sportdesign adds pipping, black headlights, diff wheels.
02+ manual is available as well as LSD.

I had an IS 300 for a short time and I LOVED the car. So small and fun. It was an auto with the e-shift (can shift 2-5 from the steering wheel).

GaGen2Teg
06-16-2009, 04:02 PM
one of the best cars ive ever owned