PDA

View Full Version : Engine Rebuild Kits

mushroom_toy
06-13-2009, 11:33 PM
Alright so Im getting ready to rebuild the engine in the accord and cant find any info on rebuild kits.

Whats are some good brands of rebuild kits? I have seen a few different ones but mostly I find Topline kits and J.I.S kits. Anyone had any experience or luck with any of these kits? Im guessing they should be fine but reviews are mixed on the net of course. Keep in mind this is for an 86-89 accord. Anyone got any other opinions?

Barefoot
06-13-2009, 11:56 PM
86-89 topline will be fine. i dont see u doing anything major with it just a dd correct.

mushroom_toy
06-14-2009, 03:25 AM
Well eventual boost but only running about 10-12 lbs or so. Nothing a oem-like set shouldnt be able to take.

green91
06-14-2009, 08:35 AM
Luke i really like use Felpro gasket sets, acl bearings & npr rings, ive built several motors with these and NO issues ever.

mushroom_toy
06-14-2009, 01:16 PM
^ i know I can get the felpro gasket set, but as far as everything else im pretty sure acl doesnt make bearing and dont think npr makes rings for my car?

Benefit
06-14-2009, 01:27 PM
make sure ur bearing tolerances are good :) , why not swap...

mushroom_toy
06-14-2009, 02:15 PM
make sure ur bearing tolerances are good :) , why not swap...

Mounts are pretty much nonexistant and swap would cost more than rebuild+turbo.

roche
06-14-2009, 02:52 PM
I've heard good things about Topline rebuild kits. I'd just use ARP headstuds and Felpro gaskets like green91 said and you should be good to go.

mushroom_toy
06-14-2009, 05:30 PM
^Im pretty sure thats what im gonna do....now to find some arp miata headstuds. :)

Barefoot
06-14-2009, 11:56 PM
your options are going to be real limited to whatever u can find.

mushroom_toy
06-15-2009, 12:12 PM
^Knew that lol. XD

southside
06-15-2009, 12:26 PM
FUCK TOPLINE!!!! if its not hastings,or acl fuck it in the end you will end up with failure.Topline had piston rings for my b18 that were too big some how thought 81mm was 81mm but guess every so often they have defective rings.I just dont trust them and heard their bearings tend to flake after a few thousand miles.

mushroom_toy
06-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Alright got my Delta 272 on the way and ordered a lot of other parts. Got a felpro gasket set coming and unfortunately topline pistons, rings and bearings. i was told by Slack that thats all they use in their rebuild though so I guess its ok. i trust them. What do you think Chris?

MidLifeCrisis
06-15-2009, 06:56 PM
why not just use OEM stuff? i always stand by OEM over aftermarket crap. even some felpro gaskets are cheapy.

BobbyFresco
06-15-2009, 07:07 PM
This is kind of offtopic but are rebuild kits worth the money?
How reliable is an engine after being rebuilt with a rebuild kit such as the one being discussed in this thread?

I'm asking bec I found a really clean gti vr6 that's cherry except for the mileage and I'm wondering how the cost of the rebuild kit and its long term reliability compares against buying a used motor.

green91
06-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Luke its all in the assembly, measuring your bearing clearances and ring gaps, measuring bore round/taper etc. I would imagine the topline parts are probably fine. Most people who rebuild engines don't do it properly and end up with shitty results.

mushroom_toy
06-15-2009, 08:21 PM
Luke its all in the assembly, measuring your bearing clearances and ring gaps, measuring bore round/taper etc. I would imagine the topline parts are probably fine. Most people who rebuild engines don't do it properly and end up with shitty results.

You think i need to pick up a digital caliper? I dont have one yet and was figuring i would probably need it.

mushroom_toy
06-15-2009, 08:24 PM
why not just use OEM stuff? i always stand by OEM over aftermarket crap. even some felpro gaskets are cheapy.

Because I can buy another car in the money Id put in an all oem kit. Depending on the company now most older parts are usually sourced from other companies. In my case a lot of parts for the honda and my kawasaki bike are relabled aftermarket pieces.