PDA

View Full Version : Well, i WAS gonna boost my stock motor... but..

teh_mugen18
06-13-2009, 09:13 PM
My last oil change that i did, i saw 2 or 3 microscopic flakes of metal floating in the top of the oil...:( ...So, does this mean that i need do a bottom-end rebuild before i even think of boosting on my stock engine?

Or would it be okay to boost a small amount on stock, after making sure that leakdown/compression tests are good? By small, i mean 6 - 7pounds on a t25.

jmmx258
06-13-2009, 09:19 PM
I boosted a 120K B18 on 10 and it worked fine, and it was daily driven. Never had an issue with it. The only reason I took the turbo off is because my stainless manifold broke at the collector and the chunk went into the turbo. Then I got rid of the car, its now boosted again, and still running strong.

There was miniscule particles in my oil a few times. But, a rebuild never hurts, and if your looking for any sort of longevity I would suggest some new bearings at the VERY least.

teh_mugen18
06-13-2009, 09:22 PM
I boosted a 120K B18 on 10 and it worked fine, and it was daily driven. Never had an issue with it. The only reason I took the turbo off is because my stainless manifold broke at the collector and the chunk went into the turbo. Then I got rid of the car, its now boosted again, and still running strong.

There was miniscule particles in my oil a few times. But, a rebuild never hurts, and if your looking for any sort of longevity I would suggest some new bearings at the VERY least.

Yeah, new bearings is what i was thinking because its what the particles are made from suggesting their breaking down. My motor only has ~110k on it. Its been overheated ONCE but has been repaired already.

jmmx258
06-13-2009, 09:26 PM
With an overheat, you might have tempered other parts which of course shouldn't have been as hot as they were. You might want to think of finding an extra motor to be honest with ya, or doing more than just bearings in the one your currently running. Like pistons and rings, possibly rods.

teh_mugen18
06-13-2009, 09:30 PM
With an overheat, you might have tempered other parts which of course shouldn't have been as hot as they were. You might want to think of finding an extra motor to be honest with ya, or doing more than just bearings in the one your currently running. Like pistons and rings, possibly rods.

lol, so in that case... itll just mean i need to go back to my original plan to build the block sitting in my garage with forged rods, pistons, etc. etc. then just swap the engines out, right? If im going to be going through the same trouble with the stock engine, might as well.

jmmx258
06-13-2009, 09:32 PM
If you've already got a more well to do engine sitting around you'd of course be far better off building it rather than one running on stock internals over 100K.

Repiks
06-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Go ahead and get it built. Its not what you wanna hear, but you know it's the best route.