PDA

View Full Version : Religion Bible

redblackfan
06-12-2009, 09:10 PM
How many people have read the bible from beginning to end and how long you take to do it?

yerrow
06-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Old testament or new

redblackfan
06-12-2009, 09:36 PM
everything

SPOOLIN
06-12-2009, 10:04 PM
theres no pictures and it uses size 6 font, theres no way i can pay attention long enough. + its not exactly laid out in a way that it flows as a full story from what i gather.

the closest thing i an quote word for word from the bible other than, "in the beginning" is the crazy bits and pieces put together from the bible into a "verse" that is the famous quote on pulp fiction. LOL.

ageiger518
06-12-2009, 10:07 PM
The bible isnt meant to be read from cover to cover. You have to jump from story to story. Most people start with john and finish with revelations. Each story in the bible has a purpose and is to be read at different times.

Maverick
06-13-2009, 09:50 AM
ive read my friend's pop up bible when i was 9

cactusEG
06-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Cant say I have....

Frög
06-13-2009, 11:56 AM
Negative.. Rather read a playgirl magazine..

umairejaz
06-13-2009, 12:22 PM
I've read the quran... :D

Starrfire
06-13-2009, 12:42 PM
The bible isnt meant to be read from cover to cover. You have to jump from story to story. Most people start with john and finish with revelations. Each story in the bible has a purpose and is to be read at different times.

But its supposed to be the "greatest story ever told". How is one supposed to know to skip around in a book to get the story? You wouldn't do that in any ordinary book would you?

stillaneon
06-13-2009, 01:59 PM
I have read it from begging to end.

It took me about 4 weeks. Only because a lot of it you have to re-read to actually get what the text is saying.

There are plans out there that have the books broken down to read it in a year.

_Christian_
06-13-2009, 02:29 PM
Negative.. Rather read a playgirl magazine..
AHAAHAHAHA

But its supposed to be the "greatest story ever told". How is one supposed to know to skip around in a book to get the story? You wouldn't do that in any ordinary book would you?
You don't even do that with fairy tales, but they might just contain a little more logic.

One_Bad_SHO
06-13-2009, 05:21 PM
I started to, a few years back. I started with the old testament and read about rapes and bad things that you'd think would be in the Devils "bible."

Put the book down, moved on. The end.

ed_gm90
06-13-2009, 07:53 PM

the bible is no ordinary book.

redblackfan
06-13-2009, 09:09 PM
I started to, a few years back. I started with the old testament and read about rapes and bad things that you'd think would be in the Devils "bible."

yeah and Incest

sport_122
06-21-2009, 11:36 PM
:(

ummm...no. The Bible was structured so that it could be read and understood in chronological order. Please don't do what ^he said.

If the goal is to read and understand then you need to try do understand the culture and history around the OT before you move to the NT or nothing makes sense. Remember these books were not written by americans and the culture was different in traditions, thoughts, and their methodology. The first 4 books of the NT are going to be very similar b/c they are 4 different accounts of the same events (like you had four witnesses telling what they saw) after that it is mostly chronological.

But skipping around...and expecting to understand it...no. The bible should be approached as a book on culture (mostly Jewish, some Roman), history, and faith. All of those elements are studied by scholars of the Bible

man
06-22-2009, 04:19 AM

Yup because religious books are supposed to be all smiles and dancing around singing songs. /sarcasm

Kind of hard to portray something as bad/evil if you don't include it at all.

Maniacc
06-22-2009, 08:42 AM
I only read books that have pictures in it.

ShooterMcGavin
07-21-2009, 12:03 PM
I only read books that have pictures in it.
i'm surprised you read at all... :D

i've read a good part of the bible, maybe 1/10th of it?

JayL
07-21-2009, 12:44 PM
i have read the complete bible about twice, and have read about 30% of it multiple times.

Ocelot
07-21-2009, 01:33 PM
I've read the quran... :D
the entire thing?

realtwenty
07-23-2009, 09:13 PM
read Zecharia Sitchin's Earth Chronicles, start with "The 12th Planet"

Drummerboy
07-23-2009, 11:34 PM
there are some really cool books out there that are basically the Bible translated into chronological order.

I use "the message" translation as a reference.
"new international version" as my main/study bible
and a book called "The greatest words ever spoken" as a concordance. It groups everything by topic.