PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods D16 turbo help/info

GaGen2Teg
06-12-2009, 03:34 AM
Alright well Im starting to piece together my turbo kit one by one. Want to boost my daily driver just looking for round 200 hp on a stock d16y8. Till I build another D.
I have a Greddy Manifold and Ebay turbo w/ internal wastegate. Its a small turbo td40/t25 looking to upgrade. I know I still have lots to get but this is what ill be looking to get soon. Tell me if I left anything out or if stuff that isnt needed.
Intercooler & Piping
BOV
Custom made Downpipe- Would 2.5 in be good enough?
Boost Controller- What do you recommend manual or electronic? Would 10 psi be safe to run on a stock motor?
Turbo Timer- Is it required?
Engine tuning- This is where I get all confused. What should I get? Should I go out and get like greddy emanage or should I just get my ecu chipped?
Turbo Size- What size turbo can I upgrade to?
Fuel-Should I get a fuel pump and injectors?

Any info is greatly appreciated and i will throw you some reps

88NaCivic
06-12-2009, 09:52 AM
I got a oil pan already bunged for a oil return if you need it?

SiRed94
06-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Alright well Im starting to piece together my turbo kit one by one. Want to boost my daily driver just looking for round 200 hp on a stock d16y8. Till I build another D.
I have a Greddy Manifold and Ebay turbo w/ internal wastegate. Its a small turbo td40/t25 looking to upgrade. I know I still have lots to get but this is what ill be looking to get soon. Tell me if I left anything out or if stuff that isnt needed.
Intercooler & Piping
BOV
Custom made Downpipe- Would 2.5 in be good enough?
Boost Controller- What do you recommend manual or electronic? Would 10 psi be safe to run on a stock motor?
Turbo Timer- Is it required?
Engine tuning- This is where I get all confused. What should I get? Should I go out and get like greddy emanage or should I just get my ecu chipped?
Turbo Size- What size turbo can I upgrade to?
Fuel-Should I get a fuel pump and injectors?

Any info is greatly appreciated and i will throw you some reps

Yeah, you would need bigger injectors. DSM 450 cc's are about the cheapest and most effective. A walbro 255lph fuel pump would be ideal as well. Then just get your ecu socketed/chipped and take the car to get it tuned. With that t25 sized turbo, 10 psi should be fine on stock internals tuned. Boost controller, doubt you will need it. That turbo probably has an adjustable wastegate or wastegate linkage. Turbo timer isn't required but it allows you to take your key out of the ignition and lets the car run until the turbo has cooled down after hard driving/boosting and then automatically shuts the car off so you don't have to sit and wait. Later you could upgrade to a GT28 without having to change manifolds because they share the same exhaust size pattern. 2.5" exhaust will be fine. You will also need an oil feed line and return line. And you'll need to tap the oil pan for the return line.

Mad Mike
06-12-2009, 10:36 AM
10psi should be safe as long as you don't push the motor to hard.
injectors yes, fuel pump yes(may not need it now but yo will later once you start upgrading and making more power)
Get the stock ECU chipped then tuned its cheaper(in most cases)
You'll need oil lines to feed the turbo plus a return line to the oil pan.
Turbo times is not necessary as long as you let the motor idle for a min after you drive it.
Boost controllers isn't necessary you can use vacuum t's but the electronic ones are way more convenient.

00CiViC00
06-12-2009, 02:31 PM
i use vacuum t's on my stock y8 and it holds 10 lbs ...

Mad Mike
06-12-2009, 02:44 PM
I'm running a vacuum t on my td05 14b with stock wastegate and it hold 9-10psi without a problem. Plus there cheap.

scttydb411
06-14-2009, 09:41 AM
vacuum t=poor man's boost controler...work very well as long as the wastegate gets its reference from the turbo or charge pipe before the throttlebody.

larger injectors
conversion harness from www.boomslang.us (96-98 is obd2a-1, 99-00 is obd2b-1).
chipped obd1 vtec ecu (i can help you there).
2.5" dp is fine for your setup.
turbo timer isn't nec unless you're blasting boost and then just shut the car off (most people drive a min or two out of boost before shutting the car off and it's fine).
oil lines and coolant lines if your turbo is water cooled.
tuning (i can help you there).
turbo from the greddy kit is fine or a small t3 (i personally like the gt25r or gt28rs, but they are fairly pricy).
intercooler, piping, and bov (stay away from the rfl-ebay copies...they leak. greddy style or hks style are fine).
walbro 255 intank fuel pump.

TheChosenOne
06-14-2009, 10:32 AM
This is the info we should sticky for all the Newb boost heads. Well done Scotty.

A Quick question: Since I plan on having you tune my motor, what would you RECOMMEND as far as boost controller/boost gauge? I wanted to try the AEM Tru-Boost
vacuum t=poor man's boost controler...work very well as long as the wastegate gets its reference from the turbo or charge pipe before the throttlebody.

larger injectors
conversion harness from www.boomslang.us (http://www.boomslang.us) (96-98 is obd2a-1, 99-00 is obd2b-1).
chipped obd1 vtec ecu (i can help you there).
2.5" dp is fine for your setup.
turbo timer isn't nec unless you're blasting boost and then just shut the car off (most people drive a min or two out of boost before shutting the car off and it's fine).
oil lines and coolant lines if your turbo is water cooled.
tuning (i can help you there).
turbo from the greddy kit is fine or a small t3 (i personally like the gt25r or gt28rs, but they are fairly pricy).
intercooler, piping, and bov (stay away from the rfl-ebay copies...they leak. greddy style or hks style are fine).
walbro 255 intank fuel pump.

scttydb411
06-15-2009, 09:07 PM
i personally like a seperate boost gauge and the greddy profec b spec 2, but if you want to save a little $ and only have one unit that does both gauge and control then the tru-boost works just fine once you figure out the setup/sequence of buttons to work it.