PDA

View Full Version : Outdoors Crappie fishin

deathrex
06-10-2009, 01:23 AM
Anyone know of any good places to fish for crappie? Baits you use? Plan on takin my old man on a fishin trip soon and he likes to fish for crappie. any help with be rewarded with +reps! :goodjob:

LokiSays
06-12-2009, 01:30 PM
I use to go to West point lake area and fish for crappy. Sunny point and yellow jacket is good too. Use a crappie hook and a split shot maybe 2 inches above the hook. Then maybe a foot above the split shot put the bopper. (use the bopper with a weight at the bottom of the bopper. It will balance ur bopper in the water instead of laying it on its side. Better for knowing when a fish bites.) then just put a minnow on the hook and wait. U can also use jigs. But when we went it was march to mid may. we caught like crazy (spawning time). Its hot now and out of spawn season for crappie so they go deeper into the water. Its better if u have a boat at this time of the year.

deathrex
06-12-2009, 08:36 PM
+reps. thanks for the info! any one else know of any good places?

Paree4g63
06-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Oconee Lake has tons of crappie if you know a good spot. The broken bridge seems to be the best chance you've got. I've never been there but I hear all you have to do is cast off the bridge and you'll get some in no time. I don't know the directions but i know people who do. Minnows is the way to catch them..

hondakid2
06-12-2009, 10:06 PM
the best for crappy is mr. twisters, smaller minos and bobber, rooster tails

deathrex
06-12-2009, 11:17 PM
+ reps on both. ive heard oconee has good crappie fishin as well. i might have to go soon if the weather clears up.

slostang
06-12-2009, 11:54 PM
lake altoona

GIXXERDK
06-13-2009, 01:11 AM
Any lake you go will hold crappie. Just shoot every dock you see 5-10 casts at various depths to find them if you dont find them move on. Crappie will always hit a jig going down not when you jig it up. No need to waste time trying to find structure with a fish finder. They are deeper now that it is warmer, I like to target them early morning to avoid the pleasure boaters and jet skiers. Youtube "Shooting docks".

I like to use an ultralight with 2 lb line. I'm an artificial guy so I use jigs, yellow, neon green with a pink head works well for me.

Setting the hook, crappie got the nickname papermouths because you will literally rip out there mouth when setting the hook. You dont need to set the hook, just raise your rod.

When using minnows hook them through the eye, dorsal fin, or mouth which ever you prefer. I like to use weighted corks so no need to add on additional weights. When you find the depth where they are hanging out at rearrange the cork as necessary.

GL one of the best tasting fish in freshwater!

schia89
06-13-2009, 12:33 PM
West point is a great place but its out of season to catch em. Like 'LokiSays' best way to get em is off a boat or you can go to one of the piers down in west point with some minnows as bait.

all-motorsol
06-13-2009, 01:17 PM
half bridge occonee is ass.
if your willing to fight for your spot then go for it.

best bet is west point.. hands down.
we go through when spawning season only though.
everytime we do go. each person catch their limit.

theres another spot i found in commerce near my place.
very nice. but you gotta jig to get em. catch a few decent size but you gotta your majic to get the bigger ones to bite.

all-motorsol
06-13-2009, 01:19 PM
one more thing. around sumemr time crappies likes to sit in the currents of the lake or river.
ill say 10-15 feet of flowing water. find coverage and whimp out minnows or jigs.

deathrex
06-19-2009, 05:17 PM
reps for all! great info guys

Paree4g63
06-20-2009, 12:11 PM
I've never caught a crappie before. Odd for some reason but Lanier should have some eh? Been catching bass and alot of catfish lately.