PDA

View Full Version : 90 EF main relay?HELP!!!

redciv1
06-09-2009, 01:08 PM
I picked up a 90 EF hatch for my sister in law and it seems that it has the symptoms of the main relay. I read online and the car will not start sometimes when the car sits in th sun. I bought the car from a guy that drove it to and from work back in May right as it was getting warm. I have changed the wires/plugs and oil as well. My sister in law has had the car for almost a month and today it did not want to start twice. She normally leaves the car parked under the garage port, however today was the first time the car was left out in the sun in these temperatures as well. Anybody changed one on an EF? From what I have read it is a pain. May just have to take it to a shop. HELP.

1SOL2NV
06-09-2009, 01:35 PM
they are not hard to change .. the location is a lil bit tight but they are not hard to change .. its underneath your steering wheel column on the left firewall ... should be black or grey .... i think black . pull out and replace .

Sir_Christopher
06-09-2009, 01:39 PM
mine is brown, i have a spare if needed, ill jsut have to go find it

1SOL2NV
06-09-2009, 01:42 PM
ok there ya go ... mines black ... it should be brown then ^

redciv1
06-09-2009, 01:52 PM
I love this board. Hey EF is that a new one and have you had to replace yours yet?

Sir_Christopher
06-09-2009, 01:56 PM
no, never had to replace it, but i have removed it to see if my friends crx's main relay was bad... and i have 2 ef that we can try it with though, its a 90, and a 91, which shouldnt be a problem, but i its a very easy task to do, look under your steering wheel and you will see a brown/black box that you can unplug, its about 2 inches tall and wide, ill go look outside in my parts car, ill give it you, if i can find it

Sir_Christopher
06-09-2009, 02:06 PM
found it, i had it in the driver seat of project my car! where are you located?

redciv1
06-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Cool. Normally I would just go look but my sister in law has the car now. When I was researching they made it seem like it was so hard to get to and some people mentioned taking the relay apart or something like that while it was still in the car. Didn't make a whole lot of since, but if it is that easy then the pics would definitely help. I owned a 95 EJ1 for 6 years and after driving her car down from Canton to Covington the day we bought it, I was very impressed. Car was original, so it was slow as heck. But for a $300 Civic can be made fast very easily. Actually thinking about picking me one up now. :D

1SOL2NV
06-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Cool. Normally I would just go look but my sister in law has the car now. When I was researching they made it seem like it was so hard to get to and some people mentioned taking the relay apart or something like that while it was still in the car. Didn't make a whole lot of since, but if it is that easy then the pics would definitely help. I owned a 95 EJ1 for 6 years and after driving her car down from Canton to Covington the day we bought it, I was very impressed. Car was original, so it was slow as heck. But for a $300 Civic can be made fast very easily. Actually thinking about picking me one up now. :D you must have money growing from your butcheeks !!!! .... lol :boobies:

redciv1
06-09-2009, 02:09 PM
I am in Covington however I work across from Perimeter Mall. I will be back in the office tomorrow, so I could meet you somewhere in between. How much you want for it?

redciv1
06-09-2009, 02:11 PM
you must have money growing from your butcheeks !!!! .... lol :boobies:

It's all about finding deals. Plus being fast is relative. Shoot, I had a stock D15B7, but between suspension, wheels and tires, I absolutely loved the car.lol

Sir_Christopher
06-09-2009, 02:14 PM
I am in Covington however I work across from Perimeter Mall. I will be back in the office tomorrow, so I could meet you somewhere in between. How much you want for it?

free? i dunno shit? but i dunno if ill be able to meet you, i dont have a car, and tomorrow im using my girls prelude to go to white water to pick up a si gauge cluster!, if you pm me your address ill send it you that way, but i understand if you dont want to give your info away.

or you meet me somewere, how far is covington from douglasville?

1SOL2NV
06-09-2009, 02:15 PM
It's all about finding deals. Plus being fast is relative. Shoot, I had a stock D15B7, but between suspension, wheels and tires, I absolutely loved the car.lolyea but it was slow ........ might have been a good car and a great motor for comuting .. but not FAST in stock form

Sir_Christopher
06-09-2009, 02:15 PM
im building my h22 ef... all i am missing is a rad.. and a tow dolly to get my car to my friends shhop..

redciv1
06-09-2009, 02:30 PM
EF:
depending on what time you are meeting at white water I might be able to meet you up there. Covington is about the 45 to an hour. But I can PM you the addy if you can't meet up tomorrow.

BTW,
That H22 Civic is what I thought about doing to another EJ1, I did a H22 swap on a CB7 Accord last year and loved that motor. Not to sure with the redrilling of the motor mount whole on the EJ which is why I am still up in the air.

Sir_Christopher
06-09-2009, 02:33 PM
im meeting him around 6, if you can make it there then that would be cool to, and atleast you dont have to cut the whole motor mount bracket out and then weld the conversion mount in to replace it, but i have everytihng to get the swap done!!

and pm me your number! im getting my new phone tomorrow so ill be able to call you about meeting up!

redciv1
06-09-2009, 02:44 PM
that is very true. I checked into what it would take for a EF/DA chassis and I stopped at that point. And it's only because I could have someone do the work, but I like to do it myself just for the experience, but I have too much going on right now to learn to weld.

Sir_Christopher
06-09-2009, 02:44 PM
EDIT, im meeting him at 12. cause some plans got in the way.

redciv1
06-09-2009, 02:59 PM
that's even better.

Sir_Christopher
06-09-2009, 03:26 PM
that's even better.

alright! ill be seeing you tomorrow, glad i could help!