PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Accord Idle problem

FasTech
06-09-2009, 02:08 AM
Alright, I bought an Accord not long ago from a good friend of mine. Car is running good and hasn't gave me any real "BIG" problems. But to my point, when the car hasn't been ran for awhile it doesn't seem to want to idle but after a few minutes of driving it will idle, just kind of high. Around 1800-to-2000rpm. Everytime you let it idle, it stays around that area. We sprayed some brake cleaner around the carb and it idle'd alittle higher. So that gave us the impression that maybe the carb gasket was worn out. I'm going to replace that anyways just because the car sat for awhile before my buddy bought it. So with that out the way, I would like to know of some more things it could be.

Question #1: What is another reason it will simply not idle when cold?

Question #2: What is another reason it idle's so high when it will idle?

Question #3: Where can I get a chart/Diagram of all the Vacumn lines and where they're suppose to be? (I'm thinking a few vacumn lines may be in the wrong spots.)

I would greatly apperciate any help you fellow IA'ers could give me. I will reward those who give some "GOOD" inputs with +12 rep. -Thanks, Tyler.

Update: I did infact find 2 vacumn leaks and fixed them. Now it idle's around 1200-to-1500rpm. So, I'm guessing I still have plenty more.

Now, I have a new question.... I plan to ask on that 2geez.com or whatever but.... Everytime I shift it idle's up like an extra 300rpm. WTF is with that??

mushroom_toy
06-09-2009, 02:56 AM
www.3geez.com (http://www.3geez.com)
Live it. All your answers will be there if you search. (They have a 1gee and 2gee section, of course you want 2gee)

Good thread:
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64454&highlight=idle+high

FasTech
06-09-2009, 03:01 AM
www.3geez.com (http://www.3geez.com/)
Live it. All your answers will be there if you search. (They have a 1gee and 2gee section.)

Thanks, man. I'm going to look to see what I can find. +12.

j0nbunklah0m
06-09-2009, 03:01 AM
kinda sounds like a vacuum leak to me

mushroom_toy
06-09-2009, 03:08 AM
kinda sounds like a vacuum leak to me

Thats my guess too, although on these cars a common problem is the float getting sticky.

FasTech
06-09-2009, 03:15 AM
Thats my guess too, although on these cars a common problem is the float getting sticky.

I'm hoping to get some cash here soon and I'm just going to buy a Weber carb and elimnate all that vacumn shit. I'm still looking around on that site though for soemthing just to somewhat fix the problem for a little while if not fix the problem all together.

How would I fix the floats?

mushroom_toy
06-09-2009, 03:35 AM
I'm hoping to get some cash here soon and I'm just going to buy a Weber carb and elimnate all that vacumn shit. I'm still looking around on that site though for soemthing just to somewhat fix the problem for a little while if not fix the problem all together.

How would I fix the floats?

You would basically just take the carb apart and clean it really good, and check the float and clean it. That should fix anything in the carb internally, unless somethings way off or broken. As far as the emissions stuff and all the vacuum lines you can remove most all of the lines since its mostly emission crap. We can do huge vacuum removals on the 3rd gen accord which reduces our like 30 vac lines down to about 2-3, although im not super sure on the 85.

FasTech
06-09-2009, 03:43 AM
You would basically just take the carb apart and clean it really good, and check the float and clean it. That should fix anything in the carb internally, unless somethings way off or broken. As far as the emissions stuff and all the vacuum lines you can remove most all of the lines since its mostly emission crap. We can do huge vacuum removals on the 3rd gen accord which reduces our like 30 vac lines down to about 2-3, although im not super sure on the 85.

Well, if I can remove most of my vacumn lines.. Which one's would I know to remove to where it would still run? Because this is my DD now and I can't afford to screw it up. haha. I've had people tell me a Weber carb would take care of most of the vacumn lines, so I don't see why it wouldn't work with the carb on it now. Because all the vacumn lines don't run to the carb now. So, if I just took all the vacumn lines off that do not go to the carb would it still run? And, I'm not concerned with emissions because they're not required where I live.

So my question to you: Which vacumn lines could I remove?

BTW, reps for as long as I can...:goodjob:

mushroom_toy
06-09-2009, 05:01 AM
The best place to ask that question is on 3geez 2geez section. Those guys have done just about everything you can do to your model at this point. XD

On another note, if you want them I have a brand new set of brake pads for your car that I cant use. you can have them if I ever see ya at a meet or anything.

Barefoot
06-09-2009, 09:49 AM
kinda sounds like a vacuum leak to meyup yup them 85s had vac line for everything. get some brake parts cleans spray the lines 1 by 1. see if the bogs problem found.

FasTech
06-09-2009, 03:49 PM
The best place to ask that question is on 3geez 2geez section. Those guys have done just about everything you can do to your model at this point. XD

On another note, if you want them I have a brand new set of brake pads for your car that I cant use. you can have them if I ever see ya at a meet or anything.

Alright, Well I go to the V-meet. I'll more than likely have the Accord at the next one. And once again, thanks for the inputs.

yup yup them 85s had vac line for everything. get some brake parts cleans spray the lines 1 by 1. see if the bogs problem found.

I'll do that, man. +12.

MidLifeCrisis
06-09-2009, 05:59 PM
www.3geez.com (http://www.3geez.com)
Live it. All your answers will be there if you search. (They have a 1gee and 2gee section, of course you want 2gee)

Good thread:
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64454&highlight=idle+high

ahh once upon a time i was a young lad and posted on 3geez... i havent been ot that site in about 9 years... i think my buddy steve with the black LS/VTEC 89 coupe posts on there although im sure hes moved on to bigger things..

terrytowe22
06-09-2009, 06:03 PM
ha my buddy was doing the same thing sucks when u have to change the alt on those cars u have to drop the cv axel my buddy tring to sell his for like 400$ just needs a alt.

FasTech
06-09-2009, 06:59 PM
ha my buddy was doing the same thing sucks when u have to change the alt on those cars u have to drop the cv axel my buddy tring to sell his for like 400$ just needs a alt.

Does he wanna get rid of any parts? I need a dash and some other minor things. PM me.

terrytowe22
06-09-2009, 07:18 PM
also the prob with his from idiling so high was the carb gasket in some of the vacumm lines where also leaking i was ask him in let u know for sure which ones it was. does it just stay at about 2000rpm even when warm up?

FasTech
06-09-2009, 08:53 PM
also the prob with his from idiling so high was the carb gasket in some of the vacumm lines where also leaking i was ask him in let u know for sure which ones it was. does it just stay at about 2000rpm even when warm up?

Yes, even when its warm and will idle... it still idle's around 1800-to-2000rpm. Its so annoying and I just wanna get it fixed. lol. If it would idle right and idle when cold, the car would be perfect other than a few misc things I'm getting fixed tonight.

hondaxpurt
06-10-2009, 11:50 AM
yup yup them 85s had vac line for everything. get some brake parts cleans spray the lines 1 by 1. see if the bogs problem found.

yep, older accord had like 87,531 vacuum lines (just a nice round number)...good luck with that....

FasTech
06-11-2009, 02:42 AM
Up... for new question.

Tire
06-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Weak battery?

Tire
06-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Weak battery maybe? That can do it..