PDA

View Full Version : General Chat 03-05 Evo 8 or 04-05 STi ! Help!!

OMG_TSX
06-07-2009, 10:16 PM
So im looking to get one of these 2 cars. Need advice, as i don't know how these perform. Been driving honda and Acura. Really need to know DEPENDABILTY!!!!

And also heard Maintenance is more complicated-??!??!! true /false?

And if i decide to get just a WRX, wat kind? wat is closest performance wise to the STi. I noticed that there are R.S, TR ect. between the years '02-'08.

I know the Evo is fastest than the STi but i heard alot ???? on dependable.

Please take time out and Help me with the decision. Thanks

hondakid2
06-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Hey man ill sell u a evo 8 with 60k miles and some work pm me if you are intrested.......

I honestly love the evo so much more. It is so much cheaper to mod! Also it is MOST deff easier to work on!!! ull be much happier with a evo trust me cams and right bolt ons and ur in 400hp area all day!

OMG_TSX
06-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Hey man ill sell u a evo 8 with 60k miles and some work pm me if you are intrested.......

I honestly love the evo so much more. It is so much cheaper to mod! Also it is MOST deff easier to work on!!! ull be much happier with a evo trust me cams and right bolt ons and ur in 400hp area all day!

i seen you posted in another thread to sum1 else you had an evo for sell. let me get a link

hondakid2
06-07-2009, 10:28 PM
huh???

OMG_TSX
06-07-2009, 10:30 PM
n/m do you hav it for sale on IA? so i can get a link to the thread

-S Double C-
06-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Get an evo hands down bro, im about to buy one here shortly ive driven 4 different sti's one had around 10k in the motor and it just didnt impress me to much. Parts are expensive and its a bitch to work on them. The spark plugs are on the side of the fucking motor lol. Ive driven 3 evos none with alot of work but my buddies 03 evo8 with bolt ons and tune walked a 410whp sti with me driving from a dig. It was almost even with him driving it.

OMG_TSX
06-07-2009, 10:36 PM
there is a really nice white one at Ed Voyles Hyundai in Smyrna. 45k $17,995. Reali clean.

hondakid2
06-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Na i dont have a link or forsale ill PM u with the info on it now!!

OMG_TSX
06-07-2009, 10:37 PM
Na i dont have a link or forsale ill PM u with the info on it now!!

koo. thanks

-S Double C-
06-07-2009, 10:40 PM
there is a really nice white one at Ed Voyles Hyundai in Smyrna. 45k $17,995. Reali clean.

yeah i saw it on autotrader, im not sure if they would finance me i got a 710 credit score but not much credit history. Im probably gonna either buy one cash or pay half of it off with my downpayment. Last one i looked at they told me i needed a co signer. :( Sad part is i bet my income was more then anyone there!

OMG_TSX
06-07-2009, 10:43 PM
i believe they will deal. just the negative money on my current car was like 6k so that sucked. so 17,999 + 6K / monthly was $418 / 1k down. So im lookin at getting rid on my current car. my credit is only 620 LoL/ interest was 13.9. check with them. ask for Peter he'll deal!!!

hondakid2
06-07-2009, 10:46 PM
toan if ur not intrested or are please dont give my mod list out thanks!:goodjob:

OMG_TSX
06-07-2009, 10:47 PM
ok no problem man

DUBSf22c
06-07-2009, 10:58 PM
HERE LET ME SHOW YOU MY LAST STI

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/Dubs03RSX/wrx/IMG_7671co.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/Dubs03RSX/wrx/IMG_7639.jpg

DRIVE BOTH.,. suby is safer, and better on insurance.. Airbags in the seats.. and SOUNDS SOO FREAKING NICE..

DUBSf22c
06-07-2009, 11:02 PM
mitsu is a lot less dependable. 4 of my friends have them. Even a 450 whp one.. dont like it at all.. the tranny licks a fat one..

the sti tranny is a getrag .. and is a beast tranny.. I NEVER HAD A ISSUE with the sti.. except a boost leak

OMG_TSX
06-07-2009, 11:06 PM
i have only driven the STi, it does have a Beastly sounds *stock* and it pulls hard. Like the suede in the evo LoL. i think STi is a lil cheaper. INsurance cost is a ++ then ! im paying $94 a month for a 04 TSX and 05 Lexus RX330. so i dont wanna payin to much for insurance!

OMG_TSX
06-08-2009, 12:14 PM
anyone else giving advice?

b16EG-HaTcH
06-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Well I have a bone stock 04 STi and it drives great. I have only driven one EVO but I just wasn't impressed. IMO the subaru is nicer inside and out and like dubs said the mitsu trans is not the best. I may be biased b/c I own one but subaru is the way to go. And anyone who says that parts are more expensive for a subaru is full of crap. U can find cheap parts for any car ( and I mean cheap price wise, not quality wise) u just gotta shop around. I found a full HKS catback for my STi for cheaper than the same exhaust for my 92 honda civic.

redblackfan
06-08-2009, 02:34 PM
EVO hands down but the STi is more fun to drive

Turbodude06
06-08-2009, 03:16 PM
STI's I thought have a much nicer interior and more of a comfort car, But the evo to me felt SO! much faster. But if I were to choose it would be hands down the EVO, just more fun I thought. Good luck..........

OMG_TSX
06-08-2009, 09:56 PM
thANKS YALL

vtec93accord
06-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Go with an STI man, driven both, STI is soo much better in different aspects. It isnt hard to work on either, everything ive done looks and has been pretty simple IMO. People are just scared because the motor design but whatever, personal preference.

hondakid2
06-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Sti trannys are good but so are Evo's. The Evo motor is way more reliable on more hp!! There are alot more wrx/stis on the road then evos. Evo with the right cams fuel pump intercooler injectors tune exhaust will put down 400ish... There are people with 550hp on stock block ul never see that as much on a sti...O ya and some one said sti is more comfortable they are both rally cars if u wanna be comfy get a bmw or lexus!

awestun
06-08-2009, 10:18 PM
sti is better quality.

hondakid2
06-08-2009, 10:23 PM
deff not tru^^^ iv owned both and a evo MR is just as nice i think better interior deff

OnURleft
06-09-2009, 10:06 AM
That would be hard for me.... I love Evo's but it's hard to take them seriously. No offense to owners but I.M.O they just scream young tuner kid, and not serious performance car despite it being a better overall performer out of the box. Then again, an STi with the big wing kind of has has the same effect....
It would be a toss up for me, but i'd probably go for a wingless (or small wing) STi for overall quality, sound and curb appeal for any age

OMG_TSX
06-09-2009, 10:43 AM
hMmm...sTiLL 50/50

black_e92
06-09-2009, 11:14 AM
You can't go wrong with either car. I was in your position like 2 years ago. Personally I think the Evo will be your better bang for the buck since it is so much cheaper for parts and maintenance. The Suby's boxer engine makes it a pain in the ass to work on.
Although the Suby has the Evo beat with that beautiful rumble sound, the Evo beats the Suby in looks. The better daily driver would be the Evo and so many people have told me that including STI owners. So to answer your question roll with an '03 Evo VIII, I picked mine up last year from the original owner. It had 38,0000 miles on the clock and bone stock, I picked it up for 15 grand.:D ;)

So best of luck to you!:goodjob:

Let me know what you decide to roll with, it's always nice to have another Suby/Evo friend! :cheers:

Also if I didn't fully answer all of your questions, check out either

www.wrxatlanta.com (http://www.wrxatlanta.com)

or

www.evoatlanta.com (http://www.evoatlanta.com)

Again best of luck to you!

Z0_o6
06-09-2009, 11:20 AM
it all depends on what you want to do with it. I've driven a Evo VIII with a 20G and meth with a built motor and it was OK but it felt like it desperately needed a 6th gear. The STi transmission is pretty much bullet-proof up to around 600hp, and the stock block can handle around 400-450 whp reliably. After that all you have to do is put forged pistons in and you're good to 500+. Either way it's all personal preference, but the general consensus is that the interior is nicer on the STi, but the Evo handles a little better stock. The STi also has more displacement, and an engine design that inherently makes a lot of midrange torque.

Me personally, if I did it all over again knowing that I would build a drag car, I would have bought the Evo since it's easier. However, I get a lot of satisfaction from my STi because there are fewer of them around here, and knowing it was the more difficult build of the two. Just get whatever pleases you, you can't really go wrong.

EM1toEVO
06-09-2009, 11:22 AM
I, too, have driven both. I went with the Evo. Although you can't go wrong with either car, the Evo is a better car IMHO. Both cars are relatively easy to maintain, but you better be ready to get your hands dirty if you don't like high maintenance bills such as synthetic oil changes, tranny/diff fluid changes every 30k(in the Evo), etc...

Z0_o6
06-09-2009, 11:26 AM
I'll never understand why people say one is "better" than the other! They both have pros and cons, it's all about which ones matter to YOU. Seems to me like everyone wants to justify their purchase by saying they went with the "better" choice!

not bashing you EM1toEVO, just talking lol.

Big Baller
06-09-2009, 11:30 AM
What are you going to do with it, street, drag, track all of the above ...etc.

I've driven both...a lot

OnURleft
06-09-2009, 11:45 AM
^^^^...

For the O.P this is the guy to listen to. 1:05 on LTDGP is enough for me to respect every post.

black_e92
06-09-2009, 11:46 AM
I'll never understand why people say one is "better" than the other! They both have pros and cons, it's all about which ones matter to YOU. Seems to me like everyone wants to justify their purchase by saying they went with the "better" choice!

not bashing you EM1toEVO, just talking lol.

x2

True can't go wrong with either car!

Sucks that we have to be rivals though!:king:

WTF?
06-09-2009, 12:07 PM
srt-4 FTW..........lol j/k i coudnt hold back IMO i say evo if i could do it all over again i would of bought an evo good luck on your purchase i think you will be happy with either

Z0_o6
06-09-2009, 12:15 PM
x2

True can't go wrong with either car!

Sucks that we have to be rivals though!:king:

we aren't rivals. mine is faster. see how easy that was? :crazy:

pilotace001
06-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Try both cars, they have a large following and plenty of parts
matter of preferance really. get some seat time in the 2 that you are deciding between and then pick what you like best

black_e92
06-09-2009, 01:05 PM
we aren't rivals. mine is faster. see how easy that was? :crazy:

LOL

I was talking about our cars in general.

But if you wanna play like that, I have some Evos that will lower that self-esteem of yours! :taun:

Z0_o6
06-09-2009, 01:16 PM
yeah but I own mine. Don't gotta call my friends in. :D

the piece of shit is down right now anyways.... :hanged:

black_e92
06-09-2009, 01:21 PM

I own mine as well player. :goodjob:

You may not have to call your friends in but you sure did have to do alot of mods to pick on a stock Evo.:lmfao:

EM1toEVO
06-09-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm not saying the Evo is the better car as a whole, I'm simply stating my personal opinion. I love both cars for their strengths and weaknesses. "Variety is the spice of life". I'm glad we all don't drive the same car. The OP should drive both and form his own opinion.

black_e92
06-09-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm not saying the Evo is the better car as a whole, I'm simply stating my personal opinion. I love both cars for their strengths and weaknesses. "Variety is the spice of life". I'm glad we all don't drive the same car. The OP should drive both and form his own opinion.

He will realize Evo>Sti all day EVERYDAY! ;)

Z0_o6
06-09-2009, 02:39 PM
A stock Evo is the least of my worries lol. I'm lookin to pick on vettes! :D

like i said though, for flat out horsepower numbers I would have gone with the Evo. I4's will always be easier to make huge numbers out of when compared to a boxer.

black_e92
06-09-2009, 03:27 PM
A stock Evo is the least of my worries lol. I'm lookin to pick on vettes! :D

like i said though, for flat out horsepower numbers I would have gone with the Evo. I4's will always be easier to make huge numbers out of when compared to a boxer.

Dude come on... Vettes?:gay:

Vettes are for old farts.

You should be going up against like bikes and Modded Evos/Stis in your HP range.

OMG_TSX
06-09-2009, 05:01 PM
damn alot to consider

Z0_o6
06-10-2009, 12:30 AM

You should be going up against like bikes and Modded Evos/Stis in your HP range.

lol you ever stepped up to a C6Z06? they're not exactly slow! but yes, i will be hunting bikes and similarly set up evos and sti's as well.

Deke
06-10-2009, 01:35 AM
And if i decide to get just a WRX, wat kind? wat is closest performance wise to the STi. I noticed that there are R.S, TR ect. between the years '02-'08.

I didn't see anyone answering this question for you.

The RS is a NA 2.5. It's the slowest Impreza. From 2002-2005 the WRX has a 2.0 turbo. From 2006-present the WRX has a 2.5 turbo. The TR is just a WRX without some of the creature comforts. If I were in the market for a WRX, I'd go with an 06+ model. The turbo 2.5 turns into a torque monster with a little tuning.

Of course, the STi is superior to all of the WRXs. It's a much better starting point if you're looking to mod. When all is said and done, my top choice between any Impreza or Lancer would be a 2005 STI (obviously I'm biased in the EVO/STI debate :))

BobbyFresco
06-10-2009, 08:49 AM
I think the best advice that has been given in this thread, multiple times I might add, is that you should spend a considerable amount of time in both cars in order to come to your own conclusion...Both cars are similar in so many respects and vastly different in others..The decision also lies in what you're trying to get out of whatever car you purchase...I love STI's so that would be MY choice.

OMG_TSX
06-10-2009, 09:10 AM
I didn't see anyone answering this question for you.

The RS is a NA 2.5. It's the slowest Impreza. From 2002-2005 the WRX has a 2.0 turbo. From 2006-present the WRX has a 2.5 turbo. The TR is just a WRX without some of the creature comforts. If I were in the market for a WRX, I'd go with an 06+ model. The turbo 2.5 turns into a torque monster with a little tuning.

Of course, the STi is superior to all of the WRXs. It's a much better starting point if you're looking to mod. When all is said and done, my top choice between any Impreza or Lancer would be a 2005 STI (obviously I'm biased in the EVO/STI debate :))

thank you. !!

AnthonyF
06-10-2009, 09:40 AM

Properly said especially from an H4 owner. The EVO makes crazy power and there are TONS of parts out there. Easier and cheaper to work on then the STi.

-Ant.

AnthonyF
06-10-2009, 09:41 AM

You should be going up against like bikes and Modded Evos/Stis in your HP range.There's no thrill in that. It's more fun owning some V8 lover with something half the size with 4 doors. :goodjob:

-Ant.

Big Baller
06-10-2009, 08:12 PM
One more time, what are you going to do with it?

OMG_TSX
07-02-2010, 06:05 AM
bump from the dead, seriously ready fundwise to get one of these, please i still need additonal help

yerrow
07-02-2010, 07:08 AM
interior wise i always thought that with the exception of the oem recaro's, the evo interior felt like i was sitting in a $10k car. it just felt like a lancer with recaro's.

the sti interior just felt and looked a ton "nicer" to me if you could get past the blue colors.

in the end the subaru maintenance is not hard, just abit more complicated for certain things (plugs/ injectors) but not a breaking point to sway one way or another.

i loooove evo's, i love the response, i love the seats, i love the super easy power, however i bought a subaru

OMG_TSX
07-02-2010, 07:51 AM
interior wise i always thought that with the exception of the oem recaro's, the evo interior felt like i was sitting in a $10k car. it just felt like a lancer with recaro's.

the sti interior just felt and looked a ton "nicer" to me if you could get past the blue colors.

in the end the subaru maintenance is not hard, just abit more complicated for certain things (plugs/ injectors) but not a breaking point to sway one way or another.

i loooove evo's, i love the response, i love the seats, i love the super easy power, however i bought a subaru

:thinking:i think i saw you yesterday turning out from plaza on lawrenceville/suwanee with hooters/staples/starbucks/shogun

if it is that soobie, it was fire!! made me sway towards soobie, but the blue interior :sigh:

yerrow
07-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Yep that was me going to the gym.

There's something intoxicating about subarus in general that make you want another. There's a reason that Subaru has one he highest owner loyalties and return buyers out of all Japanese brands. I have 2 now and am considering a 3rd as a DD. And it doesn't even need to be turboed for me.

Its very much the same as Jeep and Corvette owners where it feels like a worldwide community of Subaru owners.

alpine_aw11
07-06-2010, 01:37 PM
I've always loved the Sti. If you want better overall quality, it's the hands down choice. The evo just cannot compete in that field. But from owning DSM's the raw potential of the 4g63 is hard to ignore.

skacore
07-06-2010, 02:11 PM
I was in this same situation not long ago, but I went with an Infiniti G35 instead. It isn't as fast as both of those, but bitches love it.

Nguyen128
07-06-2010, 05:21 PM
I was in this same situation not long ago, but I went with an Infiniti G35 instead. It isn't as fast as both of those, but bitches love it.

and that's all that matters hahaha

keevo54
07-06-2010, 07:10 PM

lol at gt35r trapping 114

Z0_o6
07-06-2010, 10:13 PM
lol @ you for thinking you know something i don't.

ueyedgr8tness
07-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Put a audi s4 on the list pleae :)

97_c1vic
07-08-2010, 11:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpQXTsBku3Q&feature=related lol

MeFryRice
07-08-2010, 12:17 PM
if it is that soobie, it was fire!! made me sway towards soobie, but the blue interior :sigh:

You have to keep any mind that the '03-05 Evo came with the black/blue Recaro interior. You can always get one that has the SSL package that includes all black leather, sunroof and an infinity sound system. The '06 model came with black leather seats with suede inserts (best looking interior out of the Evos, IMO).

Many people have mentioned that you need to drive one to get a feel as to which one you like better. Have you done this yet? If not, get on it. Don't base your decision off other people's opinions. What may work for them, may not for you. Don't just drive one of each, drive multiple. Test drive at a dealership and see if you can keep it over-night to get a good feel of the car. Find an STi at a dealership will be easier than an Evo.

OMG_TSX
07-08-2010, 02:21 PM
You have to keep any mind that the '03-05 Evo came with the black/blue Recaro interior. You can always get one that has the SSL package that includes all black leather, sunroof and an infinity sound system. The '06 model came with black leather seats with suede inserts (best looking interior out of the Evos, IMO).

Many people have mentioned that you need to drive one to get a feel as to which one you like better. Have you done this yet? If not, get on it. Don't base your decision off other people's opinions. What may work for them, may not for you. Don't just drive one of each, drive multiple. Test drive at a dealership and see if you can keep it over-night to get a good feel of the car. Find an STi at a dealership will be easier than an Evo.

i have test drove an Sti but when i went to try an evo they wanted me to get prices and all that b4 i could even test drive an evo, was pretty weird, like how was i gonna start dealing prices if you dont evn let me drive it. it was odd

MeFryRice
07-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Well you have to see it from their perspective. They probably have every kid wanting to take a joy ride in the car with no intentions of buying it so they want to see how serious you are and whether you even qualify to finance it. It also has a lot to do with the way you present yourself. Be mature and respectful. Research the car before you go up there and once they see that you know what you're talking about then they will take you more serious. Don't immediately ask to take it on a test drive either.

iEvo
07-08-2010, 06:36 PM
if ur goin for power id go with an evo. it just seems easier to make power with them. BUT u cant go wrong with STI's either, just everyone that iv know that has/had one had over heating problems. just go drive both and see which u like better

iEvo
07-08-2010, 06:38 PM
i HATE when stealerships do that shit! and they will never leave u alone. its almost more of a pain in the ass to even step into one

i have test drove an Sti but when i went to try an evo they wanted me to get prices and all that b4 i could even test drive an evo, was pretty weird, like how was i gonna start dealing prices if you dont evn let me drive it. it was odd

XanRules
07-08-2010, 06:40 PM
as a WRX owner, I say get the Evo.

MeFryRice
07-08-2010, 09:13 PM
He still hasn't answered what has been asked a couple times already...

What are your intentions with the car? Will it be used simply for daily driving? Will you do any track events with it? If so, 1/4, road course, auto-x?

UpSideDownDesi
07-09-2010, 03:31 PM
If you are looking to get close to STI performance out of a WRX, buy a STI not a WRX. You'll spend butt loads more on WRX to bring it to STI level. STI's lot more refined than base line WRX and EVO 8 and 9, lot more comfy. STI/WRX are oversteer/tail happy. Subaru community is one of the greatest out there. They hold their value very well. STI's have great over all fit and feel to them. STI's are basically bullet proff off the line, given owner takes care of the car.

Want to go fast for half the price of STI Mods and get cheap parts & support, buy a EVO. Can't beat amount of parts, and tunning assistance for it. EVO's are based on FWD so they tend to understeer compared to STI. Compared to STI, evo feels like go cart, very quick responsing steering. Inside it feels cheap to me compared to a STI, no competition. Evos are known to have transfer case problem, even in stock form. At the same time you can pick up a EVO good 3-4 grand cheaper than a STI. And that 3-4 grand can go long way in a EVO.

UpSideDownDesi
07-09-2010, 03:33 PM
if ur goin for power id go with an evo. it just seems easier to make power with them. BUT u cant go wrong with STI's either, just everyone that iv know that has/had one had over heating problems. just go drive both and see which u like better

over heating is not a common issue in WRX or STI, unless corners are cut modding the car. Mine never over heated even when i went with bigger turbo and had stock WRX coolling stystem. My thermostat gave up once and that was about it.

OMG_TSX
07-10-2010, 12:38 AM
Buying for daily and power when needed!

uho
07-11-2010, 01:41 PM
how do u make those pics of ur car or where can i find them. i wanna do one for my lude