PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Help--0bd1 b18c1 in a 97 ek hatch

rsxappeal
06-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Hello, before i start trying to make a harness or buy the ecu i need, i just want to hear your experiences and advice first. I have a 97 ek hatch non-vtec, just picked up an obd1 b18c1. the only harness i have is my civic one, but i can pick up the gsr harness if i need to splice the two together or something. Which ecu should i run? also is it even possible to pass emissions?

Barefoot
06-01-2009, 12:40 PM
add vtec wires to your current harness. ecu not sure. emissions is passable.

Tensa_Zanget
06-02-2009, 03:12 AM
i believe you have to use a gsr ecu cus it has the vtec features otherwise vtec wont kick in. Also u will need a jumper harness as well cus ur car is obd2 and u got a obd1 motor so it is best to convert everything to obd2. GL!

Zhu
06-02-2009, 08:26 AM
if you're going from obd2 to obd1, I think (don't quote me) but I think it's not possible to pass emissions since you're going backwards in terms of diagnostics

rsxappeal
06-02-2009, 01:52 PM
yeah i know having the obd1 ecu in my obd2 car is an automatic emissions failure when they try to hook up to my port b/c it won't read. So, Zanget you are saying to put an obd2 distributor, alternator, injectors, etc on my engine and use an obd2 gsr ecu?

Tensa_Zanget
06-02-2009, 02:57 PM
yeah i know having the obd1 ecu in my obd2 car is an automatic emissions failure when they try to hook up to my port b/c it won't read. So, Zanget you are saying to put an obd2 distributor, alternator, injectors, etc on my engine and use an obd2 gsr ecu?

yup most important is the ecu and distributor, u cant mix match it. If u gonna stick to obd2 u gotta keep it all obd2. And yes it will be better off for u to convert everything to obd2.

rsxappeal
06-02-2009, 03:51 PM
well if i have it all obd2 i guess i would use an obd2 ecu, but there not tuning friendly? Also, what if i keep all obd1 parts and just use distributor conversion harness and stuff and use obd2 ecu? Would that work?

gtikid
06-02-2009, 04:33 PM
well if i have it all obd2 i guess i would use an obd2 ecu, but there not tuning friendly? Also, what if i keep all obd1 parts and just use distributor conversion harness and stuff and use obd2 ecu? Would that work?

Use the obd1 ecu. You won't pass emissions anymore, so make a friend that works with emissions quick. You can keep obd1 parts, just gotta rewire them. Rewiring the alternator is quick (there's a write-up for it online), for the distributor, just buy the conversion harness, it's $25 and saves time, lots of it. Rewire your injectors if you wanna use the same injectors that are already in the motor. I've heard d-series and b-series injectors are the same, but i'd just rather use the ones that were already in the motor. And don't forget the ecu jumper harness. It's about $75 from rywire. And of course, wire in vtec. I believe a few other plugs are different as well, but I can't remember off the top of my head

punkr6
06-02-2009, 04:53 PM
iif your not going to be building and tunning, then keep it obd2....

rsxappeal
06-02-2009, 05:26 PM
well im going to get a nice header, intake manifold, intake, for the swap. nothing internally right now, like cams yet. So, i'll need the obd1 ecu i guess to tune it. Alright thanks.

CaTcH22
06-02-2009, 07:06 PM
You could convert your ecu and distributor to obd1 with a jumper harness, and when emissions time comes put everything back to obd2. That way when the time comes to tune it for more power, you can use obd1 and a p28, which is alot easier than obd2.