PDA

View Full Version : Gotta pull an engine... for the 1st time

jesusfreak11
05-31-2009, 08:44 PM
So like the title says, I gotta pull an engine out of my 96 accord lx (factory F22B2), and i've never done it before. I've been reading in the Haynes manual, and it looks fairly straightforward: get under the car, jack up the engine a bit, undo the 5 mounting brackets, and then... ?

Anything else I need to unplug or take off? I want to pull the tranny out with it, so where exactly do I disconnect the shifter cables?

Someone told me something about some wires, but I really don't remember what he said.

Sorry for the newb questions, but like I said, this is the first time I've pulled an engine, so I'm a little uneducated. Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated too.

'precianate it

JITB
05-31-2009, 08:49 PM
Pull axles
Disconnect the harness (id suggest to disconnect the harness from the ecu, and pull it thru the firewall, so you can put it back on the new motor.
Disconnect exhaust manifold
Drain fluids

its not too complicated.. just got to keep up with your bolts, and pay attention to what your doing.

You_Wish
05-31-2009, 08:50 PM
lol.... you need some help fool.?

jesusfreak11
05-31-2009, 08:55 PM
lol, of course ^^^

why u think i posted? :)

nah, but i gotta guy comin this weekend that wants to buy the engine outta my wrecked car, so i gotta get it ready to be pulled

Pull axles
Disconnect the harness (id suggest to disconnect the harness from the ecu, and pull it thru the firewall, so you can put it back on the new motor.
Disconnect exhaust manifold
Drain fluids

its not too complicated.. just got to keep up with your bolts, and pay attention to what your doing.

crap, didnt know i had to drop the axle. and i take it the "fluids" includes the tranny fluid too, huh? does Advance Auto/Autozone/etc. take that stuff, or do I need to take it to a shop or somethin? thanks

JITB
05-31-2009, 09:03 PM
lol, of course ^^^

why u think i posted? :)

nah, but i gotta guy comin this weekend that wants to buy the engine outta my wrecked car, so i gotta get it ready to be pulled

crap, didnt know i had to drop the axle. and i take it the "fluids" includes the tranny fluid too, huh? does Advance Auto/Autozone/etc. take that stuff, or do I need to take it to a shop or somethin? thanks

you can leave the fluids in it, just when you pull the axles out your gonna need some plastic bags to keep the fluids from coming out, but you can drain it if you want to.

They dont take that at parts stores, just oil.. BUT you could get away with putting it in the tank.. :ninja: they wont know, or prob care.

The axles arent hard, if you got a breaker bar..its easy, if you get lucky it wont make you curse too much. If your rims allow you to, you can loosen the axle nut before you jack it up..and save time.

jesusfreak11
05-31-2009, 09:06 PM
you can leave the fluids in it, just when you pull the axles out your gonna need some plastic bags to keep the fluids from coming out, but you can drain it if you want to.

They dont take that at parts stores, just oil.. BUT you could get away with putting it in the tank.. :ninja: they wont know, or prob care.

The axles arent hard, if you got a breaker bar..its easy, if you get lucky it wont make you curse too much. If your rims allow you to, you can loosen the axle nut before you jack it up..and save time.

thanks a lot man. looks like i gotta bit more reading to do before this weekend. :rolleyes:

You_Wish
05-31-2009, 09:15 PM
its not all that hard to pull a motor i can get it pulled in 20 to 30 minutes..

X-Runner
05-31-2009, 09:19 PM

15 if you cut everything (axles too) with a sawzall :yes: :lmfao:

jesusfreak11
05-31-2009, 09:24 PM

is that u offering to come help a fellow honda lover out for free?

lol, nah, if i was actually makin enough money off this thing, id pay u for gas and time so u could show me how to do it in 20 mins :D , but the dude's only givin me $100 for the engine (258xxx miles, non-VTEC, so i cant wine), so... yeah.

but thanks for lettin me know u know how to do what i dont. :???:

You_Wish
05-31-2009, 09:37 PM
lol its not that hard man.. it you didnt live far away id be there pulling it... 50 bucks would cover everything... you could sit and watch... is it an AUTO or 5 speed..

jesusfreak11
05-31-2009, 09:43 PM
its a 5 speed.

yeah i noticed u up in canton. oh well.

but i think i'll have to pass. I appreciate it, but i gotta save the dinero to buy another ride soon. $1500 aint gonna buy anything decent. but thx for the offer to help. :)

You_Wish
05-31-2009, 10:16 PM
iight man gl