PDA

View Full Version : car wouldn't start

Tensa_Zanget
05-31-2009, 04:41 AM
So I decided to clean up my car today since it been sitting in the driveway for 2 weeks. Then I tried to start the car but only hear constant clicking which I believe is coming from the starter. This is from a 96 honda civic dx stock, no mods or anything with an exception of viper alarm and installed sunroof.

Some of the methods I tried were:

1. Jumping the battery
2. Check for sparks from the spark plug wires
3. Open up the distributor cap to check for dust or rust build up.
4. Check fuses
5. Check the inside of the throttle body and found some gas inside (don know if that is the right procedure to check if gas is going in).

Anyhow, any suggestions or advice will help.:goodjob:

schia89
05-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Most likely your starter is bad. Try hitting your starter with something thats not metal like a wooden stick and it may kick on.

Barefoot
05-31-2009, 10:27 AM
auto or manual. try to spin the motor over by hand. to make sure it hasnt locked. i doubt but have to eliminate it. if all well pull the starter have it tested. replace if need be.

SUBY_RUE
05-31-2009, 10:32 AM
Most likely your starter is bad. Try hitting your starter with something thats not metal like a wooden stick and it may kick on.

^^ use a screwdriver and hit it with the handle as someone trys to start it...

Tensa_Zanget
05-31-2009, 01:29 PM
Wait if it's the starter I would hear onlyone click wouldn't I? This case I hear series of clicking

*EFilliated*
05-31-2009, 02:57 PM
are u getting gas? does the fuel pump come on? u could take out the starter if u wanted to and get it checked to start eliminating things. if u dont want to do it i can take out the starter and we can get it checked

Bus Driver J
05-31-2009, 03:04 PM
Multiple clicks sound like its not getting enough current to the starter. I know you said you tried jumping it but some jumper cables are crap. Swap the battery out of your EF and clean the terminals. I think that will work for you...

schia89
05-31-2009, 03:06 PM
How many volts are you gettin from the battery?

*EFilliated*
05-31-2009, 03:10 PM
i got a battery from my ef or my brand new from my coupe LMK u can come get it and we can fix it

Tensa_Zanget
05-31-2009, 04:16 PM
I tried starting my car again and same result; since I been doing that it sounds like my starter is getting weak. Don't think it could be the battery since all functions work and didn't sound like losing power. Then I unbolt one of the nut to the fuel filter and saw some gas in it.

Thxs for the battery offer Luis; think u can get me a hand sometimes LOL.

Also I tried the method of banging on the starter while someone turned the key but didn't work (don't know how hitting it will make it start LOL)

Tensa_Zanget
05-31-2009, 04:17 PM
How many volts are you gettin from the battery?

Don't have the tool for voltage measurement

ArK
05-31-2009, 04:31 PM
this is happening to one of my cars but after a few attempts (yes iam hearing a clicking sound ) it turns on iam thinking its my spark plugs

C-loS109
05-31-2009, 04:40 PM
I tried starting my car again and same result; since I been doing that it sounds like my starter is getting weak. Don't think it could be the battery since all functions work and didn't sound like losing power. Then I unbolt one of the nut to the fuel filter and saw some gas in it.

Thxs for the battery offer Luis; think u can get me a hand sometimes LOL.

Also I tried the method of banging on the starter while someone turned the key but didn't work (don't know how hitting it will make it start LOL)

sometimes started get stuck internally and hitting it while it tries to start the car usually helps to get it unstuck...

i had the same problem... it was the battery... even though everything worked inside. but mine would start when getting jumped.

Bus Driver J
05-31-2009, 07:07 PM
Just put another battery in it. Just cause you "think" its fine doesnt mean it isnt. It can not be fuel or ignition related cause the engine would need to spin over for this to be apparent. One solid click or no sound at all points to the starter or engine being locked up. Many small clicks point toward a weak battery.
Take it as you will but I feel it may help....

Tensa_Zanget
05-31-2009, 09:52 PM
Got it fixed! Swap with my bro's battery and it worked like a charm. Thxs for all the help guys; rep to all :)

Bus Driver J
06-01-2009, 11:46 AM
:cheers:

eg mike
06-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Beat me to it, Battery.