PDA

View Full Version : A/c issues - questions..

JITB
05-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Alright..soo my A/c compressor in the 929 i "thought" wasnt working. but i was told that i needed to jump it, because it didnt have any freon in it from the previous owner. So i doo that, and its spinning! i get freon, charge it up.. with a small can..it doesnt get cool. So i go get a big can, and crank it start to fill it, it gets ice cold, and starts to make a loud clicking noise from the compressor(lke a baseball card in a bicycle spoke).. but it stops when i rev the motor. So i empty the can... and after about 20 minutes.. i stop filling, and notice its not as cold as it was.. its just cool air..

Do i need more freon?

What was that clicking noise?

Barefoot
05-30-2009, 09:05 PM
u need to take it so somebody or some place that knows a/c the odds are u have it over filled. 1.76lbs (about 2.4 12oz cans) is what your used to be have in the system.

JITB
05-30-2009, 09:11 PM
u need to take it so somebody or some place that knows a/c the odds are u have it over filled. 1.76lbs (about 2.4 12oz cans) is what your used to be have in the system.

im gonna put my neighbors gauges on it, and see..

i dont think the 2nd big can is entirely empty tho.. i just stopped b/c it was gettin dark.. but what are the signs of it being overfilled?

JITB
05-30-2009, 09:19 PM
I made a mistake in the first post..

it got ice cold when i started to fill it up, with the 2nd can.. but after about 30 minutes it turned to cool air.. But after it sits for awhile its back ice cold..? I just went to the garage and cut the a/c on and it was ice cold..

green91
05-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Even with gauges its very difficult to discern how much freon is in the system, not to mention that the system needs to be under a vacuum at the time of adding freon, not just adding to the low side. If you have air or moisture in the system it will cause these symtpoms. Has the system sat open for a while? If so you probably need to replace the dryer also.

JITB
05-30-2009, 10:43 PM
Even with gauges its very difficult to discern how much freon is in the system, not to mention that the system needs to be under a vacuum at the time of adding freon, not just adding to the low side. If you have air or moisture in the system it will cause these symtpoms. Has the system sat open for a while? If so you probably need to replace the dryer also.

When i got the car there was no belt on the compressor, i put a belt on it. but the compressor was not spinning(due to being low on freon). So i jumped the temperature switch, to get the compressor to spin so it would take the freon, b/c it wont with the compressor not spinning i was told. I charged the a/c, than after a minute or so the compressor was spinning without being jumped. And i plugged it back in... and did in the 1st post..

what do you mean open like with no freon in it? Is the dryer the cannister up front? if its not working it will get too cold and cut wont blow cold wouldnt it?

JITB
05-31-2009, 05:09 PM
i think its fine now.. i was told the clicking was from the lack of oil in the system, but the last bottle of freon had oil in it also.. so it stopped the clicking, and lubbed it all up. So hopefully im good! preciate the help fellas..