PDA

View Full Version : gas in oil???

hondaxpurt
05-28-2009, 08:25 PM
Okay here is my problem...I changed my oil with royal purp and now I open my oil cap and it smells almost like fuel in my head??? Did not do it b4 with mobil. Its a d16z6

hondaxpurt
05-29-2009, 05:46 AM
I thought maybe there was an additive or something in royal purp to help clean your motor????

Barefoot
05-29-2009, 07:19 AM
unless u have a major internal problem i can think of 1 reason there should be gas and oil mix.

mocha latte cupcake
05-29-2009, 07:41 AM
change anything with the fuel? injector size? FMU? FPR?

how old is the engine?
oil ran thin and getting by the rings?

hondaxpurt
05-29-2009, 07:42 AM
unless u have a major internal problem i can think of 1 reason there should be gas and oil mix.

and what is that??

hondaxpurt
05-29-2009, 07:43 AM
change anything with the fuel? injector size? FMU? FPR?

how old is the engine?
oil ran thin and getting by the rings?

yes it has an FPR, the engine has relatively low miles, and is clean as hell. i have good compression. 150-155 all 4

mocha latte cupcake
05-29-2009, 07:45 AM
hmmm. i'm assuming that the oil is just too thin. what rating are you using?

the fuel shouldn't be getting in the oil unless there is a leak somewhere. if your rail is clean with no leaks, the injectors aren't soaking the cylinders, the rings have good compression and seal, and the FPR isn't set too high then i'm going with oil issues. is the oil milky or just "smell" like gas

hondaxpurt
05-29-2009, 08:05 AM
hmmm. i'm assuming that the oil is just too thin. what rating are you using?

the fuel shouldn't be getting in the oil unless there is a leak somewhere. if your rail is clean with no leaks, the injectors aren't soaking the cylinders, the rings have good compression and seal, and the FPR isn't set too high then i'm going with oil issues. is the oil milky or just "smell" like gas

its just the smell itself. i have an oil leak from the turbo tapped oil pan and when i get on it the oil drops on the exhaust and i smell what smells like running rich. im running my fuel pressure at 40lbs. im just lost....im using 10w30. maybe i should drain all 36 effing dollars of oil that i have had in there for 600 miles and go back with mobil?

mocha latte cupcake
05-29-2009, 08:10 AM
hmm... were you running rich before this?

only reason i ask (and this is a LOOOOOONG shot) is that maybe there is an oil leak in your turbo somewhere, basically the unburned gas is leaking into the oil feed/drain system on your turbo and when it goes back into the pan (and gets circulated through your engine) thats where the smell is coming from.

the other reason i asked if it was truly contaminated/milky or just smelled is b/c then you can kinda check some things off if it just smells and isn't milky. gas breaks oil down and will cause it to run extra thin, my previous swap (and the retard who put my injectors in) put 555cc injectors on a 8 psi t25.... needless to say he soaked the cylinders and ruined my oil (175 miles after the swap). i did 2 oil changes and 3 quarts straight flush to get it all out. its irritating but i would rather spend 50 bux to get it right then be wondering.

that being said, if you're worried about it and didn't have issues with the car previous to the oil and the turbo is fine etc etc etc. buy some mobil and have @ it. change the filter and what not too. its a pain. but if it gets rid of your smell and makes things right, it was worth it.

hondaxpurt
05-29-2009, 09:00 AM
hmm... were you running rich before this?

only reason i ask (and this is a LOOOOOONG shot) is that maybe there is an oil leak in your turbo somewhere, basically the unburned gas is leaking into the oil feed/drain system on your turbo and when it goes back into the pan (and gets circulated through your engine) thats where the smell is coming from.

the other reason i asked if it was truly contaminated/milky or just smelled is b/c then you can kinda check some things off if it just smells and isn't milky. gas breaks oil down and will cause it to run extra thin, my previous swap (and the retard who put my injectors in) put 555cc injectors on a 8 psi t25.... needless to say he soaked the cylinders and ruined my oil (175 miles after the swap). i did 2 oil changes and 3 quarts straight flush to get it all out. its irritating but i would rather spend 50 bux to get it right then be wondering.

that being said, if you're worried about it and didn't have issues with the car previous to the oil and the turbo is fine etc etc etc. buy some mobil and have @ it. change the filter and what not too. its a pain. but if it gets rid of your smell and makes things right, it was worth it.

problem is, my cas is no longer turbo'd. but obviously the pan is still tapped so it cant be coming from the turbo lol. i have a leak somewhere i cant figure out...

speedminded
05-29-2009, 10:01 AM
The compression sounds low, with it being even across the board it's not a head gasket and with fuel in the oil most likely burned rings. I'd do a wet test on it.

I'd check the PCV valve first anyways. Pull it out, wipe it off with a rag, and blow in one end then the other. It's a one way valve so you should not be able to blow through it in both directions. It could be clogged or not working. Also, does your engine have one of the little filters on the valve cover instead of a vacuum hose going back to the intake?

A bad O2 sensor could cause a rich mixture too.

Tech5
05-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Check your washer fluid I here this might cause it..

just kidding sounds pretty normal to me

hondaxpurt
05-29-2009, 10:56 AM
The compression sounds low, with it being even across the board it's not a head gasket and with fuel in the oil most likely burned rings. I'd do a wet test on it.

I'd check the PCV valve first anyways. Pull it out, wipe it off with a rag, and blow in one end then the other. It's a one way valve so you should not be able to blow through it in both directions. It could be clogged or not working. Also, does your engine have one of the little filters on the valve cover instead of a vacuum hose going back to the intake?

A bad O2 sensor could cause a rich mixture too.

yes it does have a filter on the VC. o2 is brand new. and i checked compression....pcv valve is clicking...

speedminded
05-29-2009, 11:05 AM
yes it does have a filter on the VC. o2 is brand new. and i checked compression....pcv valve is clicking...Do a dry compression then a wet compression or are D16's supposed to be that low?

mocha latte cupcake
05-29-2009, 11:34 AM
i'm fairly sure D16's are just that low.

is the breather filter you have clean or clogged?

and i'm agreeing with checking the PCV and wet compression just to rule it out completely

hondaxpurt
05-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Do a dry compression then a wet compression or are D16's supposed to be that low?

well...normal is about 155

Meatball546
05-29-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm kinda thinking it is normal. With good compression numbers like that, there shouldn't be excessive blow-by. Used oil has always smelled a bit like fuel to me. You could send it off for an oil analysis. They'll tell you how much contamination is in it and how much life it had left.

hondaxpurt
05-29-2009, 03:29 PM
called royal purple. they said they have a sufler-based additive that gives the oil a rich-burning smell. and they said cause it was leaking on my exhaust that it was making the smell worse. royal purple FTL!!!

hondaxpurt
05-29-2009, 04:15 PM
also they said the sulfer based additive was the same as in gasoline...

scttydb411
05-31-2009, 11:13 PM
running too rich could be causing gas in the oil=thinner oil=not good.

Barefoot
05-31-2009, 11:41 PM
running too rich could be causing gas in the oil=thinner oil=not good.
got it figured out

called royal purple. they said they have a sufler-based additive that gives the oil a rich-burning smell. and they said cause it was leaking on my exhaust that it was making the smell worse. royal purple FTL!!!
also they said the sulfer based additive was the same as in gasoline...