PDA

View Full Version : Outdoors AR-15 Anyone own one?

tony
05-27-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm considering picking one up since its so similar to the M16 and I'm pretty familiar with it. Anyone have experience with AR-15's and what I'd be looking to pay for one?

SL65AMG
05-27-2009, 04:52 PM
I'm considering picking one up since its so similar to the M16 and I'm pretty familiar with it. Anyone have experience with AR-15's and what I'd be looking to pay for one?

i bought mine a few months ago... well maybe like 6 months ago. I paid (with 5 extra mags) about $1500. Its the Rock River Arms Entry Tactical version which is pretty freakin sweet.

look to pay an arm and a leg for one...... and you dont wanna ask what ammo prices are....

the gun is cheap compared to ammo. (if you can find it that is, and if you actually shoot the dern thing rather than having it be a closet queen)

Vteckidd
05-27-2009, 05:08 PM
I have one brand new for sale, lets make a deal

tony
05-27-2009, 05:12 PM
I have one brand new for sale, lets make a deal

Serious? Let me know the details.

Vteckidd
05-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Serious? Let me know the details.
Its in the GARAGE SALE -GUNS AN HUNTING

DPMS AR15, EOTECH Style Scope, 80 Rounds, Case, everything, never shot, brand new

DaX
05-28-2009, 07:08 AM
Good platform. I don't own one in .223, but have one in .40 S&W and one in .308 (often called an AR-10). My next one will most likely be 7.62x39mm.

VTECKIDD's gun is a fair price in today's market.

deathrex
05-29-2009, 12:58 AM
i bought mine a few months ago... well maybe like 6 months ago. I paid (with 5 extra mags) about $1500. Its the Rock River Arms Entry Tactical version which is pretty freakin sweet.

look to pay an arm and a leg for one...... and you dont wanna ask what ammo prices are....

the gun is cheap compared to ammo. (if you can find it that is, and if you actually shoot the dern thing rather than having it be a closet queen)

do the 22 long rifle conversion! i shoot all day for soooo cheap :goodjob: and it only takes like 2 seconds to swap it back to .223 rounds

ShooterMcGavin
05-29-2009, 09:29 AM
prices starting to calm down. brand new dpms sporticals on classicarms website back down to around $800 i think.

ZenMotors
05-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Its in the GARAGE SALE -GUNS AN HUNTING

DPMS AR15, EOTECH Style Scope, 80 Rounds, Case, everything, never shot, brand new

PM me a price. :)

tippatone
05-29-2009, 11:38 AM

VtecKidd got a real sweet AR, nice, clean good price

Truegiant
05-29-2009, 05:06 PM
do the 22 long rifle conversion! i shoot all day for soooo cheap :goodjob: and it only takes like 2 seconds to swap it back to .223 rounds

I call BS. There is no way to convert the uppers in a mere two seconds, haha. Its more like 4.5 haha. Anywho..

I have never shot or heeard of these ar15's. Are they any good? what do they shoot? I here there called black rifles, does that mean only black people can own them? Help a noob please.

SL65AMG
05-30-2009, 08:25 PM
a 22 round has enough power to rack the bolt back???

Truegiant
05-30-2009, 08:38 PM
most of the conversions come with a lighter
buffer or recommend you shoot the higher power rounds.

VTECking
05-31-2009, 10:17 PM
Will this AR-15 be your first rifle, because if it will I dont recomend that you get one until you have had more experience w/rifles.

tony
06-01-2009, 06:50 AM
Will this AR-15 be your first rifle, because if it will I dont recomend that you get one until you have had more experience w/rifles.

First rifle kind of.. I spent 7 weeks with a M-16 almost too intimately in basic training this year, I'm well trained and qualified on it which is why I'm interested.

DaX
06-01-2009, 07:05 AM

Why? I totally disagree with this statement.

ShooterMcGavin
06-01-2009, 08:07 AM
Why? I totally disagree with this statement.
yeah i'm curious as to the reasoning behind that statement?

Truegiant
06-01-2009, 08:48 AM
First rifle kind of.. I spent 7 weeks with a M-16 almost too intimately in basic training this year, I'm well trained and qualified on it which is why I'm interested.

7 weeks does not make for any kind of formal training. Whats your MOS? Obviously not infantry because you didnt do OSUT. I am currently in the military and have been for many years. Find your way over to the which is better ak/ar thread. there is some good info in there. start doing your research on what barrel, caliber, trigger, rifle setup you want. When you start to get an idea send me a pm or post on here what your looking to do and i am sure we can point you in the direction.

tony
06-01-2009, 09:26 AM
7 weeks does not make for any kind of formal training. Whats your MOS? Obviously not infantry because you didnt do OSUT. I am currently in the military and have been for many years. Find your way over to the which is better ak/ar thread. there is some good info in there. start doing your research on what barrel, caliber, trigger, rifle setup you want. When you start to get an idea send me a pm or post on here what your looking to do and i am sure we can point you in the direction.

lol 7 weeks doesn't make for any kind of formal training? O..kay, I'm not buying an AR to take to Afghanistan.. its just to simply keep in my home and nothing more. As I said I'm very familiar.. TRAINED, (regardless of others definition of trained is) and qual'd on this weapon. Not concerned about everything else.

And my AFSC is not combat oriented, not my cup of tea.. I prefer aviation.

Truegiant
06-01-2009, 09:34 AM
back on track of where this thread should be...

Will this be your primary home defense weapon?
How much are you looking to spend?
What caliber?
What barrel length?
How often are you planning on going to the range?
Are you going to hunt with it?
You planning on using a reflex/holographic sight?
Do you want it to shoot quarter size groups at 300+ yds?

I could go on and on but these are a few basic questions that should allowyou to narrow down what type of ar you want to start with.

VTECking
06-01-2009, 10:06 AM
yeah i'm curious as to the reasoning behind that statement? Because I definately wouldn't want to be at a range w/someone who has never shot/handled any type of gun before shooting an assault weapon of any type.

First rifle kind of.. I spent 7 weeks with a M-16 almost too intimately in basic training this year, I'm well trained and qualified on it which is why I'm interested. Well since your not a gun noob and seem to be able to handle an assault weapon from what you just said, I would recomend Rock River Arms, Bushmaster, or Stag Arms AR-15 platforms.

SL65AMG
06-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Because I definately wouldn't want to be at a range w/someone who has never shot/handled any type of gun before shooting an assault weapon of any type.

Well since your not a gun noob and seem to be able to handle an assault weapon from what you just said, I would recomend Rock River Arms, Bushmaster, or Stag Arms AR-15 platforms.

so because an ar-15 is an "assault weapon" it means that it it harder to handle or shoot??? you gotta be kidding.

VTECking
06-01-2009, 09:50 PM
so because an ar-15 is an "assault weapon" it means that it it harder to handle or shoot??? you gotta be kidding.
Just a personal opinion. I just wouldnt want anyone shooting an AR around me if they havnt had any prior experience handling any other type of gun.

Vteckidd
06-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Im pretty sure 7 weeks is enough formal training for him to be able to fire it and not blow his foot off.

I mean i NEVER shot a handgun before, i went to the range, rented a glock, and shot 1000 rounds through it. Then i went with a buddy of mine who has been to Tactical Shooting Schools and spent about a hour with him learning how to properly hold the gun and how to shoot/aim.

Ive never fired an assault rifle but i wouldnt be scared of it at all

81911SC
06-01-2009, 10:02 PM
No need, AR's are easy and very controllable. Ak's are a little more harsh.

VTECking
06-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Ive fired many assault weapons and handguns and Im not afraid of them at all, but I am afraid of people that might not know the feel of a assault weapon. Im not saying that 7 weeks dosnt make him qualified IMO it makes him more than qualified, Im just saying if he never shot or handled a gun in his life before I wouldnt recomend an AR, but thats not the case in this situation since he has had 7 weeks of training w/an M16.

Danny
06-01-2009, 11:41 PM
just like alot of guns, an ar is a great starter gun for a noob. Chamber 1 bullet, hand it to the newbie, fix thier stance, fix thier grip, fix thier trigger finger, walk them through PID, front sight, rear sight, trigger press, reset.

Load 1 more round in, repeat. Next time load 2 rounds in, so on so forth until you know they arnt gonna go ape shit with the trigger :D

ANY gun in the hands of the completely untrained/inexperienced is dangerous and should be always avoided unless under the direct supervision of some one that knows what they are doing.

In tonys case, he has a good chance of being safe when getting it. I dont know him personally, but i would say he chances are pretty high for being safe.

Jaimecbr900
06-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Guys, don't make this any more difficult than it has to be. :rolleyes:

If he is only getting one to "have", then any AR platform that fits his budget will suffice. He's not expressed interest in tactical shooting nor competition, so let's not muddy the waters. While all weapons are dangerous in the wrong hands, my 10 yr old son has shot my AR without any problems whatsoever. He shot a mighty fine group I might add. Would I let him handle the weapon by himself?.....absolutely not. Can he "shoot" it safely?.....with me there with him, absolutely yes. It's not like it's rocket science guys. It's not a .50 cal a top a military vehicle in Kosovo. It's a weapon that once the safety is off, shoots much like any other rifle. Proficiency comes from proper practice.

I'd be willing to bet that Tony is the type of guy that would go to the range with his new AR, shoot downrange, and go home and clean his weapon properly only to put it up some where safe. Nothing wrong with that. He doesn't need a $2k rig for that. An $900 DPMS Sportical with some kind of inexpenive sight would do the trick quite nicely for that. Judging by his opening posts, he's not interested in trick forearm configurations and attachments. So pick up an entry level DPMS that can be had new for a very reasonable price and get your feet wet.

Lets not make it any more complicated than it needs to be folks. :goodjob:

Truegiant
06-02-2009, 06:38 PM
not trying to make it complicated. I just hate seeing people by the base model when you actually save money buying the right ar for you the first time.

With that being said.. I saw DPMS sporticals for sale at the Florida Gun Exchange in daytona beach when i was there for $789 plus tax. I was shocked and in awe.

patrick4588
06-03-2009, 12:08 AM
damn....

VTECking
06-03-2009, 12:54 AM
not trying to make it complicated. I just hate seeing people by the base model when you actually save money buying the right ar for you the first time.

With that being said.. I saw DPMS sporticals for sale at the Florida Gun Exchange in daytona beach when i was there for $789 plus tax. I was shocked and in awe. Yea, but I have heard bad things about DPMS. For instance I heard that they have bad internals and they are more likely to jam than other AR's. Thats just what Ive heard though, Ive never shot a DPMS, only a Rock River, Bushmaster, and Stag Arms AR platforms.

tony
06-03-2009, 06:41 AM
I'd be willing to bet that Tony is the type of guy that would go to the range with his new AR, shoot downrange, and go home and clean his weapon properly only to put it up some where safe. Nothing wrong with that. He doesn't need a $2k rig for that. An $900 DPMS Sportical with some kind of inexpenive sight would do the trick quite nicely for that. Judging by his opening posts, he's not interested in trick forearm configurations and attachments. So pick up an entry level DPMS that can be had new for a very reasonable price and get your feet wet.

Lets not make it any more complicated than it needs to be folks. :goodjob:

Couldn't have said it better

Truegiant
06-03-2009, 06:46 AM
Yea, but I have heard bad things about DPMS. For instance I heard that they have bad internals and they are more likely to jam than other AR's. Thats just what Ive heard though, Ive never shot a DPMS, only a Rock River, Bushmaster, and Stag Arms AR platforms.

DPMS, Rock River, and Bushmaster all buy there parts kits from the same company. If they cannot get them from them then they outsource.

DaX
06-03-2009, 06:56 AM
Yea, but I have heard bad things about DPMS. For instance I heard that they have bad internals and they are more likely to jam than other AR's. Thats just what Ive heard though, Ive never shot a DPMS, only a Rock River, Bushmaster, and Stag Arms AR platforms.

You probably also heard that Olympic Arms is junk too, then? :rolleyes:

I have owned both DPMS and OlyArms (still have the OlyArms), and have had zero issues with the quality or reliability of either. If you want to spend your money on a "tier 1" AR-15, by all means, go ahead - those companies make good rifles and components. But this propagation of info that other companies make an inferior product has been completely disproved in my experience, and the experience of people that I personally know. To me, it seems like an internet, mine-is-better-than-yours, penis-size contest as to who can afford the best components for their safe queen. Just because I paid less than half of what a "tier-1" rifle costs, doesn't mean mine is inferior.

Truegiant
06-03-2009, 07:04 AM
We as americans have come to think that if it costs more its better. I have made this statement a million times but this is not the thread to get in to it. Back on topic.

OP HAVE you decided what your going to get?

tony
06-03-2009, 09:00 AM
We as americans have come to think that if it costs more its better. I have made this statement a million times but this is not the thread to get in to it. Back on topic.

OP HAVE you decided what your going to get?

Not specifically, I'll be going to the shop where I bought my Glock in Forest Park, I have a feeling I'm going to miss out on the one Mike has for sale.

ttman
06-03-2009, 10:43 AM
EVERY AR15 manufacturer has had its share of problems. don't believe me? go read ar15.com.

DaX
06-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Not specifically, I'll be going to the shop where I bought my Glock in Forest Park, I have a feeling I'm going to miss out on the one Mike has for sale.

JW - which shop?

tony
06-03-2009, 09:12 PM
I forget the name.. but its the gun range there in Forest Park right off of I75

Vteckidd
06-03-2009, 10:29 PM
dude if you want it let me know i know you are good for it.

ShooterMcGavin
06-04-2009, 08:56 AM
You probably also heard that Olympic Arms is junk too, then? :rolleyes:

I have owned both DPMS and OlyArms (still have the OlyArms), and have had zero issues with the quality or reliability of either. If you want to spend your money on a "tier 1" AR-15, by all means, go ahead - those companies make good rifles and components. But this propagation of info that other companies make an inferior product has been completely disproved in my experience, and the experience of people that I personally know. To me, it seems like an internet, mine-is-better-than-yours, penis-size contest as to who can afford the best components for their safe queen. Just because I paid less than half of what a "tier-1" rifle costs, doesn't mean mine is inferior.

i don't know of any AR makers that make "junk". but with that said, there are definitely better manufacturers that make better components (and as such, a better overall product) than others. it's not all about name brand, in fact it took me a while to realize that bushmaster isn't the greatest AR maker in the world. if you want an AR built "right", which means it'll still have problems that AR's have, then go buy a colt 6920, that's about as close to an m4 as any civilian will get.

Danny
06-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Tony, hey buddy saw this 6920 FS, 1350$!!!! I would seriously consider this. Backorder on 6920s was long, before the Obamanation.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=358227

ShooterMcGavin
06-05-2009, 02:07 PM
^^^that is a steal, even by prebamanation standards.

Danny
06-05-2009, 10:04 PM
^^^that is a steal, even by prebamanation standards.

EXACTLY. 6920s were easily pullin this figure with 3-4 month waits a year ago.

allmotoronly
06-05-2009, 11:13 PM
I've owned both AR15's and AR10's (.308). There are many different calibers available in these platforms. If you are looking for something to plink with and target shoot, go for the .223 (5.56). If you are looking for something more powerful, butstlll lightweight, try the 6.8 SPC, or 6.5 Grendel. If you want something really badass, go for the AR10 (.308). It is a little heavier, but much more powerful. Overall the platform itself is one of the best in my opinion (as far as assault/tactical rifles go). You will not be disappointed.

Truegiant
06-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Just incase you guys are unfamiliar. S&W offers an automatic 40% discount to all military and law enforcement. You are on the same waiting lists as everyone else but you get the discount. Just something to keep in mind if you have family or friends who are willing to put there name down and then gift it over later..

Frög
06-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Yup!

DevilK9
06-17-2009, 11:00 AM
In regard to ammunition prices, you'd be better off getting a 1:9 Twist barrel that wil handle the 55 grain ammunition since it is readily available. Try to get your hands on a chrome lined, cold hammer forged 1:7 twist barrel now while the prices are a little lower so that when the 62 grain .556 NATO rounds become a little more availble, you'll be equipped to swap out for a more powerful setup.

Rock River, Lewis Machine & Tool, and Daniel Defense are the brands I recommend. **Disclaimer, I work for Daniel Defense in Savannah***

If budget is your main consideration, a DPMS or Bushmaster will serve you fine for now.

FYI, if you want some info on the AR/M4 platform, go to www.ddaction.com

Thanks for your service.

ShooterMcGavin
06-17-2009, 12:19 PM
In regard to ammunition prices, you'd be better off getting a 1:9 Twist barrel that wil handle the 55 grain ammunition since it is readily available. Try to get your hands on a chrome lined, cold hammer forged 1:7 twist barrel now while the prices are a little lower so that when the 62 grain .556 NATO rounds become a little more availble, you'll be equipped to swap out for a more powerful setup.

Rock River, Lewis Machine & Tool, and Daniel Defense are the brands I recommend. **Disclaimer, I work for Daniel Defense in Savannah***

If budget is your main consideration, a DPMS or Bushmaster will serve you fine for now.

FYI, if you want some info on the AR/M4 platform, go to www.ddaction.com

Thanks for your service.

sweet! got any hookups? :D

DevilK9
06-17-2009, 01:54 PM
sweet! got any hookups? :D\

uh yah....washer, dryer, dishwasher, toilet and refrigerator hookups in the kitchen, and I believe my trailer hitch is a 1.75" ball. j/k.

No, in this industry, discounts only come from volume, and while I'd like to sell all everyone on IA something for less than normal, I just don't have that ability, .... unless I wanted to lose my job and then I wouldn't even have the hookups previously mentioned!

If I were you, I'd contact

Rainier Arms in WA
Spikes Tactical in Hinesville
ADCO
AIM

tony
06-17-2009, 02:47 PM
lol I got a wedding to pay for so this is on hold till I get that taken care of. A word of wisdom from me.. get ALL of your toys before you're married.

I'm still looking out for good deals though, I'll just have to hide it for a few months. :ninja:

DaX
06-18-2009, 06:58 AM
lol I got a wedding to pay for so this is on hold till I get that taken care of. A word of wisdom from me.. get ALL of your toys before you're married.

I'm still looking out for good deals though, I'll just have to hide it for a few months. :ninja:

Eh, you can get toys after you're married. You just have to buy your wife something of equal or greater value. :D A $1500 rifle is no big deal...try building an airplane and see what your wife wants you to buy them! :eek:

DevilK9
06-18-2009, 03:44 PM

Trust me....you get the rifle....get her some ammo...go to the range and let her light up some sillouhuettes....and that night will be one of the most exciting memories of your new marriage.:idb:

Put a gun in a chick's hands her endorphines will shoot through the roof. She'll have to find a release or go crazy..

Just sayin...it's worth a "shot".

Truegiant
06-18-2009, 05:48 PM
spikes tactical in hinesville? i am pretty sure there not in hinesville.

ShooterMcGavin
06-18-2009, 06:00 PM
yeah spikes is based out of fla.