PDA

View Full Version : Outdoors Need a new carry knife, which one?

Danny
05-26-2009, 11:14 AM
So my Spyderco Delica 4 just got confiscated (ooppss) so I need a new one. I am going to order another Delica 4, but am considering trying another Spyderco knife, possibly another brand for around the 60 dollar mark.

Any suggestions? I think i want somthing a little skinnier for dress attire. Handle and clip needs to be black, maybe dark tan (blend in with clothing). Also must be plain edged, no combo or full serrations.

Delica 4 PLain Edge (even though combo edge is shown):

http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/spyderc/images/11psbk4.jpg

Maybe the Centrofante 3 (similar length, a little skinier, could work better with dress clothes)

http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/spyderc/images/66pbk3.jpg

n2daizo123
05-26-2009, 05:23 PM
nevermind

Turbd4DE
05-26-2009, 06:08 PM
Serration

http://i44.tinypic.com/1zwjina.jpg

I have this one. It was $80 when I got it. It is a ultimate tactical folding knife for police and military. :goodjob:

Scotsman
05-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Serration

http://i44.tinypic.com/1zwjina.jpg

I have this one. It was $80 when I got it. It is a ultimate tactical folding knife for police, military. :goodjob:that is f'n awesome , "blood grooves" FTW

81911SC
05-27-2009, 11:18 AM
I don't have any Spyderco's but I've always heard great things. I use the Mini Grip.

Truegiant
05-28-2009, 01:59 PM
I have been a hardcore fan of the vg-10 steel cold steel uses in there knives. There reliable and have given me better customer service than benchmade. With that being said spyderco has some neat looking knives i just dont have alot of first hand experience.

eraser4g63
05-29-2009, 04:47 PM
I personally carry a Gerber its about 4.5 inches long and is a half serrated. tanto

slostang
05-29-2009, 04:50 PM
i carry a Columbia river knife & tool co. m16-10kz. very good knives for the price.

Truegiant
05-29-2009, 05:08 PM
i carry a Columbia river knife & tool co. m16-10kz. very good knives for the price.

IMO one of the worst knives you can buy for the price. I broke three in IRAQ before I bought my cold steel. They rust super quick and there warranty sucks balls. I want a company to stand behind its product. Check out topps knives for tactical knives. I carry two and LOVE THEM - On my rack for work that is.

THE CRKT LIMITED LIFETIME KNIFE WARRANTY.

This warranty covers any defects in materials or workmanship. If one of our knives ever breaks or fails because of material or manufacturing defect, we’ll replace the knife.

This warranty runs as long as you own your knife. Coverage ends if you sell or otherwise transfer the knife to someone else, or if your CRKT knife is modified in any way.

This warranty does not cover breakage or failure due to misuse of the knife. Knives as good as ours rarely break or fail because of a defect. Usually they break or fail from what we call “tool abuse”—using them for unsuitable tasks like prying or pounding. Therefore, blade tip breakage is not covered by our warranty. Use of a knife for any purpose other than cutting voids the warranty. (The exceptions to this caution are the A.B.C. Aqua and MAK-1 Multiple Access Knife which have tips designed specifically for prying.) So please match the tool to the task, and use your knife only for cutting. The knife will last longer, and you’ll be safer too. This warranty does not cover failure of mechanisms due to your failure to properly maintain them.

Also, consequential and incidental damages are not recoverable under this warranty. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of consequential damages, so this exclusion or limitation may not apply to you.

Misuse of your knife can cause serious injury or even death. It can also cause your knife to break or fail and the CRKT limited lifetime warranty will not apply. Failure to properly maintain your knife also may cause its mechanisms to not function properly, which could result in injury to you or damage to the knife. Follow the do’s and don’ts which are included in your CRKT knife package and the knife will last longer and you’ll be safer too.

THE CRKT ACCESSORY WARRANTY.

CRKT accessories, including deployment systems, carry systems, and sharpeners, have a one-year limited warranty against defects in material or manufacturing.

THE CRKT LED LIGHT WARRANTY.

On those CRKT products which contain an LED flashlight, the light mechanism has a 90-day limited warranty to the original purchaser against defects in material or manufacturing. Proof of purchase may be required for warranty claims.

MISSING PARTS

If you are missing parts such as a screw or clip, click here for free replacement parts.

HOW TO SEND YOUR CRKT PRODUCT TO US.

If you have a problem with a CRKT knife or accessory which is the result of a defect in materials or workmanship per the warranty statements above, here is how to return it to us.

• Package your knife securely and insure it for your own protection.
• Include a note with a brief description of the problem and how it occurred.
• Include your name, street address, telephone number and email address if available.
• Send your knife or accessory to:

Warranty Claims
Columbia River Knife & Tool
18348 SW 126th Place
Tualatin, OR 97062 USA

slostang
05-29-2009, 05:29 PM
ive never had a problem out of them. :dunno:

On_Her_Face
05-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Kersaw or Gerber.

VTECking
05-30-2009, 04:50 PM
I like the carry the kershaw blur

http://www.cgwgun.com/images/products/K1670BLKS.gif

Truegiant
06-03-2009, 06:55 AM
you never did mention how it got confiscated.

Danny
06-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Atl Sheriffs took it down at Atlanta courthouse. I ASSumed they check knifes (like cobb magistrate/public safety).

Slomaro Z28
06-03-2009, 07:31 PM
I say the centrofante

Truegiant
06-03-2009, 07:39 PM
they are supposed to. They cannot confiscate your weapon unless it was for a specific purpose. They also have to have it posted on the door that they do not check them they confiscate.. I will look up the law today or ask about it tomorrow and let you know. Did you ask for it back? Could you not go back to your car? Some cop has your knive now for free. wow..

Danny
06-03-2009, 08:42 PM
they are supposed to. They cannot confiscate your weapon unless it was for a specific purpose. They also have to have it posted on the door that they do not check them they confiscate.. I will look up the law today or ask about it tomorrow and let you know. Did you ask for it back? Could you not go back to your car? Some cop has your knive now for free. wow..

ya its BS, but I checked around a little. Each courthouse is responsble for thier own security plan, and they file it with the sheriffs. From what i understand this allows them to pretty much do whatever they please. effin police, yes i asked for it back.

Danny
06-03-2009, 10:20 PM
pretty sure im about to pull the trigger on a spyderco centrofante 3, and a kabar shorty (something affordable to beat around with outside).

Danny
06-04-2009, 06:27 PM
the ka-bar shorty is on back order. Estimated to ship in 1-2 weeks. Ohh well, i guess I will wait.

Truegiant
06-04-2009, 06:43 PM
What kind of price are you looking at and from where are you ordering? I have a shorty that I use on my vest. I bought my TOPPS knives and am waiting for them to come in. I had one before and I had it stolen at a carbine course I attended in North Carolina. Anywho.. Let me know. Imight be interested in selling my shorty since I have two other combat knives in the mail.

Truegiant
06-04-2009, 06:44 PM
oh how much for the syperdco also? I am trying to gauge the knive market so i can figure out who to ask for dealer info.

green91
06-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Ive actually had a cold steel for the last 6 years, its a fantastic knife. the serrated edge is still sharp after cutting everything from stone, to hoses to apples.

Danny
06-04-2009, 10:02 PM
THe spyderco was 54 and the shorty was 53 (with kydex sheath). Plus 8 for shipping, total was 115.

Got both from thebladeshop.com http://www.thebladeshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=KB1259&CartID=2

knifecenter.com was another dealer i was considering. The prices between the two were real similar, i think the knife center may be a couple bucks cheaper now that I look at it again.

I looked at cold steel, and actually have thier dvd sitting on my desk right next to me. Havent watched it yet. It came with a watch my girlfriend bought me :)

I decided to go back to spyderco because of a few personal reasons:

- hole thumb deployment with locking back
- price, at under 60 bucks, it seems great
- PDT knife course was based around the delica 4, a very similar layout to the centrofante 3 i purchased. Plus i have a tiny bit of training on it, might as well not change something i am somewhat used to.

Danny
06-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Oh and John I would buy your shorty off of you, especially if it has been to the sandbox and back.

Truegiant
06-05-2009, 07:02 AM
What did you learn from the PDT knife course? I have heard highs and lows about it. We dont do alot of formal knife/bayonet training besides basic unless you go to places like ranger school, special forces, etc. With that being said during my combatives level 3 course you learn more about defending yourself with a knife than you do attacking with one. Anywho..

I am trying to get a job down at fletc in brunswick if I end up getting medically retired from the military. THATS A LONG STORY IN ITSELF.

Danny
06-05-2009, 08:26 AM
The course was pretty good. Would I recomend it for you, probably not. First thing you should note about the course is it is NOT a knife fighting course, its a defensive knife course.

The course is comprised of all levels of experience, from an 18 year old girl to a mid 50s woman, with a few of us firearms guys scattered around the middle.

It focuses on a couple key topics:

1. anatomy: basic run down on the human body, and what is the weakest links
2. mindset and reality: some typical mindset lecture, with an emphasis that if you resort to knife fighting you will get hurt. No one wins in a knife fight, best case scenario one person manages to live.
3. force on force: practiced the drawl stroke equivalent for a knife carrying both strong, weak, and both sided. 2 training dummy spyderco delica 4's were provided to everyone for this. this part mostly centered around putting the victim in very a bad position and letting the BG get the jump on you. PRimary focus here was to demostrate how effective 2 knife carry can be in the real world, thus prooving that many times you cannot access your strong side carry knife. This part of the course goes at your own pase, team up with someone that will be as rough/kind as you want to be. I teamed up with some martial arts dude, so we were able to put each other in realistic chokes and holds, compared to most others. Expect a couple bruises and carpet burns lol, but like i said its self paced really.

I think its a great course for the average person, for the experience military person it would probably be just a refresher.

Danny
06-05-2009, 08:28 AM
Oh we also got "cut" by this electric knife. Supposedly it feels like a real knife cut, but the pain lasts only for a couple seconds. Pretty neat.

Also we learned that in a ground fight the presence of a knife will not be known untill its too late, when ground fighting assume the other person will be trying to access his knife if he hasnt allready.

Danny
06-05-2009, 08:32 AM
With that being said during my combatives level 3 course you learn more about defending yourself with a knife than you do attacking with one. Anywho..

exactly, its a defensive weapon. It takes hours to become proficent at a level to defend yourself (compared to the general population) and decades to be able to attack with it. Thats why the blade is so neat. You can literally overnight become more skilled than 80% of the population, but it will take you decades to be able to stand a chance in an actual knife fight.

UNlike firearms. Firearms take dozens of hours just to get half decent, a much harder longer learning curve.

ShooterMcGavin
06-05-2009, 08:52 AM
what do y'all think of the s&w m&p knife?

Danny
06-05-2009, 10:06 AM
I only have experience with thier extreme ops line of knifes. They are cheap but are massivly crappy. If thier MP line is anywhere near the same quality i would say "hell no" as defensive carry folder. A quick glance suggests the MP line is in the same price range, i wouldnt get my hopes up.

Also, i have handle quite a few S&W knifes at gun shows, all of which sucked baddd. But they were all under 40 bucks.

Truegiant
06-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Dont waste your money on the M&P series. They were made to be sold as a free add on kit that came with the purchase of there pistols. Once they realized how massivly shitty there product was they opted not to even give them away as they were afraid they would receive warranty issues, etc. They sold there knive line to a sister company and they run that side of the house. Knives can be extremely profitable as there are so many blanks out there you can buy. I am actually looking into getting a few made, logos on the grips and blade, but they will be just cheap advertizing not actual useful carry knives

Danny,

I was hoping that you would touch on the fact that a knife fight is one of your worst possible scenarios as neither party usually comes out unscathed. I have had to use my knife in a combat scenario and lets just say that I ended up getting more hurt that I would of liked.

green91
06-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Ive carried one of these:

http://www.coldsteel.com/voyagerseries.html

the one on the far right, serrated blade. not much of a tactical knifle but for day to day use ive never been so impressed with a knife

Truegiant
06-06-2009, 06:42 PM
I dont know about you chris but i have been really impressed with there zytel (SP) grips. The material is great and very rugid.

green91
06-06-2009, 07:05 PM
I have absolutely 0 complaints. Ive literally use it to cut stone before, car rubber hoses, cardboard, and even fruit lol. The blade is still as sharp as it was new. The grip has been fantastic, the clip is actually very strong and surprisingly hasnt broken.

Danny
06-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Danny,

I was hoping that you would touch on the fact that a knife fight is one of your worst possible scenarios as neither party usually comes out unscathed. I have had to use my knife in a combat scenario and lets just say that I ended up getting more hurt that I would of liked.

Did you use it over in the sandbox, or out on the streets here? Care to share some details/lessons learned? Ill understand if u dont.

Truegiant
06-06-2009, 10:23 PM
I will take the details to the pms. Not for fear of clouding up the thread but just dont want everyone knowing my personal business.

Truegiant
06-06-2009, 10:51 PM
pm sent

Frög
06-09-2009, 07:28 PM
for defense:

http://www.tomarskabars.com/TDI_USAGE.html

but seems like you are looking for a knife knife..

n00bsrus
06-09-2009, 07:31 PM
all of 'em look like pretty good choices ... i'm with the ole' scotsman on this one though... i'm diggin the blood grooves

Danny
06-09-2009, 08:34 PM
for defense:

http://www.tomarskabars.com/TDI_USAGE.html

but seems like you are looking for a knife knife..

krambits are cool but my last name isnt Tarani :D lol im stickin with folders for now. if i was mil or le i would consider somthing different.

but those TDI knives look appealing, but i have no experience with them. Thier marketing is good haha.

Truegiant
06-12-2009, 11:16 AM
I am not a big fan of the tdi series of knives. I have one but I never use it. It feels akward in my hands. I tried using it to cut some materials and the angle it creates actually causes whatever it is your cutting to hit your hand. I just didnt like it.

Knives of Alaska makes a great 100% made in america knife. I actually use alot of there knives for hunting (skinning, gut hook, etc). I am hoping to get a new set for my birthday from the wife this year.

Danny
07-24-2009, 09:22 PM
KNifes finally came in today, holy crap that took FOREVER!

Not very impressed with the Centrofante 3, the grip on it is way smoother than expected. Think i will be ordering another Delica 4 and calling it a day.

The kabar on the other hand is very nice.

Truegiant
07-24-2009, 09:28 PM
just checker the grip, haha.

Truegiant
07-24-2009, 09:29 PM
oh and pics with the 1911, m4, and a beer or fail, haha

Danny
07-24-2009, 10:02 PM
oh and pics with the 1911, m4, and a beer or fail, haha

shatty photo. im loosing my photography touch, too much playing with guns and other toys haha....

possibly a deadly mix. lol

http://dannykay.net/photography/misc/spyderco.jpg

Truegiant
07-24-2009, 10:34 PM
classic.

big crunch22
07-24-2009, 10:46 PM
shatty photo. im loosing my photography touch, too much playing with guns and other toys haha....

possibly a deadly mix. lol

http://dannykay.net/photography/misc/spyderco.jpg

i like it

Truegiant
07-24-2009, 10:51 PM
flashlight... but i like the pic regardless

Danny
07-24-2009, 11:06 PM
John whats the best way to present a kabar from the sheath? Do you carry with both snaps done or just one?

Truegiant
07-24-2009, 11:20 PM
did you get the kydex double button sheath or the canvas eagle?

My fighting knives are positioned on my OTV (Outer tactical vest) in different positions for different reasons. Thats more of a hands on situation based thing. Always ensure that the blade is drawn away from the body. I will look through my videos at the house and if i can find one of the best fighting knife videos i have it will be in the mail to you.

Danny
07-24-2009, 11:41 PM
I have the double button kydex, as barley seen in the pic above. Just doesnt seem feasible to me to be able to present it in a fast manner with both buttons done. Anyways im gonna crash out.

Truegiant
07-24-2009, 11:42 PM
dueces..

Danny
07-24-2009, 11:46 PM
dueces..

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2345/2514209084_5edb4f760b.jpg?v=0