PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP ASAP! 1997 Eclipse RS

Blazer11213
05-26-2009, 10:45 AM
I dont know why the dam thing wont start but ill give you guys the symptoms.

It makes a click sound, just one, then nothing.
The dash lights, radio and everything comes on but when i turn the key they dim out but slowly come back on.
I tried doing it with the Headlights on and the same dimming happened with them.
The battery is fine i can run the radio turn the lights on and mess with the air but when i turn the key nothing happens.

I thought it would be the alternator but i just want to see what other options it could be before i start pulling things out.

XanRules
05-26-2009, 07:43 PM
more likely than not the alternator.

b19wheels
05-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Its your battery terminals or a bad ground!!

koi
05-28-2009, 11:11 PM
Starter could be bad
Lose/broken or bad Battery Terminal
Bad Alternator.

it could be a combo of a few above.

Are you able to get it jumped and running at all?

TSiFTW
05-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Did you actually check the voltage at the battery. You either have corroded terminals, dead cell in the battery, or your alternator isn't charging it. Check the voltage first cause 9 or 10 volts can make your accessories work but not crank your car.

redciv1
07-01-2009, 07:47 AM
I know from personal experience, Honda's are notorious for making the clicking sound, lights on and everything all because the cable are not tight enough on the terminals. Matter of fact, I replaced the alternator on the Legend on Thursday night, test drove for about 10 minutes, then pulled back in the garage. I cleaned up the garage and then some minutes later went back to see if car started and it was fine. Next morning came out turned the key and car started fine again. I needed to put the battery tray back in the car so I took the battery out again, put the tray in and when I went to start the car, it was the clicking noise, all lights on but no start. I popped the hood, tightened the cables on the terminals, mind you they were already pretty tight, or so it seemed, and the car started. No problems since.
CHECK YOUR BATTERY CABLES AND TERMINALS. Even if they look tight, tighten them some more.