PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Rice?

TSiFTW
05-26-2009, 08:03 AM
I am trying to understand something. Some people love working on cars. Some people love completely customized cars. So why is it when some one puts 5 grand into their engine then decides to put 5 grand into body work and paint to make their car look custom, you guys instantly flame him and call it rice. There are people who don't want there car to look like a factory Jap car with wheels. I personally don't like huge body kits and wings but a lot of people do and trust me a lot more people would have them if they were not scared they would be flamed. To me a custom car is not making it look like a stock Jap car especially if your car was not made in Japan. I say build your car how you want. But to those of you who show your cars, a stock car with a lip and wheels is not a showcar. And a full blown showcar is not a ricer, unless it has no motor work and the person is trying to depict it as being fast and race everyone. Just blabbering on here.:blah: Trying to understand this mindset though.

ArK
05-26-2009, 08:13 AM
totally agree
for me tthe first thing that comes to mind when I here the words rice or ricer is an idiot reving his engine at you in a red light
my 2Çents

MongolPup
05-26-2009, 10:05 AM
Just because you spent a ton of money doesn't make a car nice.

Theycall_Metue
05-26-2009, 10:44 AM
x2 good write up. people say buying something that wont make ur car faster exp body kit is ricer. jdm body parts, lips are consider ricer wont it? correct me if im wrong

Theycall_Metue
05-26-2009, 10:48 AM
body kits are lighter then factory body (most kits)

nreggie454
05-26-2009, 12:17 PM

Proof please. I don't see how adding a lot more material to the car makes it lighter. A lot of the time, carbon fiber hoods are heavier than stock hoods. Some bodykits may be light, but far from durable.

I am one of those "assholes" who can't rationalize buying a bodykit or wing without a known performance gain. Yes, I consider JDM shit either rice or a complete waste of money since it costs a lot more than I would consider paying for such a subtle mod. I find it especially lame/funny since a lot of people in Japan try to make their cars USDM.

The only time I would ever consider buying a body kit is if I upgraded my turbo and needed a giant intercooler. Then I would buy a new front bumper that would allow more airflow to the intercooler.

IMO, cars are made to be driven, so anybody who spends money on their car to be looked at is wasting it.

RL...
05-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Proof please. I don't see how adding a lot more material to the car makes it lighter. A lot of the time, carbon fiber hoods are heavier than stock hoods. Some bodykits may be light, but far from durable.

I am one of those "assholes" who can't rationalize buying a bodykit or wing without a known performance gain. Yes, I consider JDM shit either rice or a complete waste of money since it costs a lot more than I would consider paying for such a subtle mod. I find it especially lame/funny since a lot of people in Japan try to make their cars USDM.

The only time I would ever consider buying a body kit is if I upgraded my turbo and needed a giant intercooler. Then I would buy a new front bumper that would allow more airflow to the intercooler.

IMO, cars are made to be driven, so anybody who spends money on their car to be looked at is wasting it.

Wow, you are stupid and ignorant.

If you're carbon fiber hood is heavier than stock, you got ripped off. CF hoods are usually a lot lighter, but most ppl get them for visual effect, which there is nothing wrong with that. And bodykits can be very durable. It depends on whether or not you got a name brand kit made from quality material, whether it was installed correctly, and how you drive.

How do Japanese ppl try to make their car USDM, I would love ot hear that...

Cars are meant to be driven, but it's also an expression of the driver both aesthetically and performance wise. If that's so hard to understand then...you need a new hobby, or a new forum to waste time on, because guess what? Yes, you're a dumbass.

Frög
05-26-2009, 12:46 PM
To me a custom car is not making it look like a stock Jap car especially if your car was not made in Japan.

This is where everything you said no longer had any meaning..

But to those of you who show your cars, a stock car with a lip and wheels is not a showcar.

Nobody ever claimed otherwise.. Unless that individual is a complete idiot..

And a full blown showcar is not a ricer, unless it has no motor work and the person is trying to depict it as being fast and race everyone.

Depending on which kit he chose, it could or could not be a ricer.. Cars can be all show and no go and NOT be rice as well..

^ ie. this kid is a rice boy, with a rice car..

nreggie454
05-26-2009, 12:55 PM

If you're carbon fiber hood is heavier than stock, you got ripped off. CF hoods are usually a lot lighter, but most ppl get them for visual effect, which there is nothing wrong with that. And bodykits can be very durable. It depends on whether or not you got a name brand kit made from quality material, whether it was installed correctly, and how you drive.

Cars are meant to be driven, but it's also an expression of the driver both aesthetically and performance wise. If that's so hard to understand then...you need a new hobby, or a new forum to waste time on, because guess what? Yes, you're a dumbass.

There is a whole USDM car scene in Japan. http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/general-car-chat/521163-nice-post-about-usdm-scene-japan.html

Notice, I didn't say all carbon fiber hoods are heavier than stock, but it isn't rare for that to happen. Most people get CF hoods for the visual effect? I call that a
Race
Inspired
Cosmetic
Enhancement

I am perfectly happy with my hobby, since I actually race my car. I have been a member of the SCCA since 1998 when I started racing my go-kart in autocross and have been autocrossing ever since. I haven't been able to do it as much since I am a poor college student, but I still do it whenever I can.

Also, LOL @ you calling me a dumbass. LOLOL.

ArK
05-26-2009, 01:21 PM
so when did this era of callin ppl "rice" start ?hmm
and yes your is another way to express urself IMO
i really like ur car eclipse_boy

slimm
05-26-2009, 01:31 PM
bravo!

Deke
05-26-2009, 01:42 PM
I am trying to understand something... Trying to understand this mindset though.

Repost x9999.

I do agree that the whole anti-bodykit bandwagon has been, at times, out of control. But there certainly have been plenty of hideous reasons for it. There definitely exist many kits that look great, but at the same time there are just as many that look simply horrible and completely cheapen an already cheap car.

I find it especially lame/funny since a lot of people in Japan try to make their cars USDM.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but I don't see how this supports/disproves any point or is lame/funny. I guess since some groups of Japanese people like USDM styling, it means that Americans should leave their car stock to be JDM. But since some groups of Americans like JDM styling, it means that Japanese should leave their car stock to be more USDM. You see what I did there? :) The only thing that "a lot of people in Japan try to make their cars USDM" shows is that some people like what is rare to them.

I'm not one of the people on the hating you bandwagon. I often agree with things you post. But when you start them off like this, it certainly won't help your case.

AnthonyF
05-26-2009, 02:15 PM
This is the real world. There will ALWAYS be haters. Most people want to "FIT IN" so they don't get made fun of and follow the trends.

If you were to travel back about 8 years ago or so, Body Kits were the shit. Custom paint was where it was at. Kits cost over 1k and were made out of good quality materials. If some1 rolled in with a Home Depot made front splitter back then, or a "clean" or otherwise "stock" looking car, it would have been made fun of.

-Ant.

JITB
05-26-2009, 04:45 PM
anyone who cares what anyone else thinks is a ricer...

and people with a close mind on anything other than what they like is a ricer.

trying to be different sometimes turns people to ricers...lol

the word "rice" and worrying about other peoples opinions is whats killing this car modifying thing we do.. find what you like and run with it, it always works out in the end.

TSiFTW
05-26-2009, 06:40 PM
This is where everything you said no longer had any meaning..

Nobody ever claimed otherwise.. Unless that individual is a complete idiot..

Depending on which kit he chose, it could or could not be a ricer.. Cars can be all show and no go and NOT be rice as well..

^ ie. this kid is a rice boy, with a rice car..

I am not saying you or everyone else thinks that way. It just seems to be the common way of thinking round here thats all. Just wondering why.

90_ACCORD
05-26-2009, 06:41 PM
wheres QD when ya need him?

TSiFTW
05-26-2009, 06:46 PM
anyone who cares what anyone else thinks is a ricer...

and people with a close mind on anything other than what they like is a ricer.

trying to be different sometimes turns people to ricers...lol

the word "rice" and worrying about other peoples opinions is whats killing this car modifying thing we do.. find what you like and run with it, it always works out in the end.

That is a fine way to put it. Just drive it how you like it. Most of the people who call it rice, especially if it is very nice, wish they had something totally modified and custom.:goodjob:

x Resilience
05-26-2009, 06:52 PM
wheres QD when ya need him?

Hop off his nuts.

BKgen®
05-26-2009, 07:06 PM
I say keep it clean. Body kits belong on Buford Highway.

Turbd4DE
05-26-2009, 07:20 PM
I say fuk JDM .... USDM all the way. No No anyways look it shouldnt matter what people think about what car u have or how u wanna rock it. I mean come on I drive a NEON...

90_ACCORD
05-26-2009, 07:36 PM
Hop off his nuts.

a little hostile there... you must want him all to yourself.

XanRules
05-26-2009, 07:44 PM
rice = poorly done, cheap, tasteless, tacky, stupid modifications. It's also a mentality.

Z0_o6
05-26-2009, 10:34 PM

you have got to be the most uninformed motherfucker on the face of this planet. you make statements with no regard to facts or common sense.

Take my STi for example, the only carbon hood that is lighter than the factory ALUMINUM hood is a dry carbon hood that costs $$$$. I bought a carbon hood strictly for aesthetics. The only bodykits that are worth installing on a car are the ones with R&D put into them to improve the aerodynamics of the car. Why do aerodynamics matter? Because cars were designed to be DRIVEN.

fucking moron.

D3UC3S
05-26-2009, 10:54 PM
"what other people think and say about me is none of my business"...live that way and nothin really bothers you. ;)

"Ricer" is more played out than Nissan Tun3rs mom's puss....really.

Rednecks need to find a new word to pigeon hole every import owner. If u dont like someones taste then just be glad its not your car and move on with your life.

FasTech
05-26-2009, 11:16 PM
Can't believe this hasn't already been disscused on IA before. :rolleyes:

Some cars look alright/good with bodykits and some look like pure SHIT!!! For example, a Honda with a bodykit making it look like a spaceship. How do you figure alot of people would want to drive that? You did clearly say, "Alot more people would admit to liking them if they weren't afraid to get flammed", did you not?! And another thing, how do you think if someone puts 5k in a motor then 5k on exterior mods, we then consider it "Rice"? They're plenty of cars in Super Street, Hondatuning, and S3 that I have seen with cars well over that amount of money in their cars and they look flat awesome! Besides, half the cars we call "Rice" on here, they none have anywhere over $1200 tops, in mods. Case closed!

BB1_Luda
05-27-2009, 12:06 AM
rice = poorly done, cheap, tasteless, tacky, stupid modifications. It's also a mentality.
This is how I think the word as well.

IndianStig
05-27-2009, 12:17 AM

CF hoods are heavier then stock metal hoods? OEM design CF hood will never be as heavy as an OEM hood. TO the rest of your post......to each his own.

RL...
05-27-2009, 11:43 AM
you have got to be the most uninformed motherfucker on the face of this planet. you make statements with no regard to facts or common sense.

Take my STi for example, the only carbon hood that is lighter than the factory ALUMINUM hood is a dry carbon hood that costs $$$$. I bought a carbon hood strictly for aesthetics. The only bodykits that are worth installing on a car are the ones with R&D put into them to improve the aerodynamics of the car. Why do aerodynamics matter? Because cars were designed to be DRIVEN.

fucking moron.

Well I would say most cf hoods are lighter than stock hoods. I've popped some hoods from friends car with cf and they were all definitely lighter than stock.

Of course cars are meant to be driven. I stated this in my post, why are you arguing it with me?

kthxbye

nreggie454
05-27-2009, 12:13 PM
CF hoods are heavier then stock metal hoods? OEM design CF hood will never be as heavy as an OEM hood. TO the rest of your post......to each his own.

If your car came with an aluminum hood, there is a high possibility that it is lighter than your average CF hood unless you spend some major money on it.

1SICKLEX
05-27-2009, 12:44 PM
jdm, rice, VIP, have been thrown around so much by so many people they have bastardized what they are and what they stand for

JITB
05-27-2009, 02:19 PM
jdm, rice, VIP, have been thrown around so much by so many people they have bastardized what they are and what they stand for

i agree

choiiiiiiiii
05-27-2009, 02:49 PM

:goodjob:

LordZed
05-27-2009, 02:55 PM
So if "rice" is offensive then what new word should we use for cars that have ridiculous amounts of body modification imporperly done, and or properly done but epicly failed that have no purpose but to get attention, look flashy, and make the rest of the tunning world look like ignorant asshats? Cause Ricer just sum's it up if you ask me :D :2up:

MINI
05-27-2009, 04:04 PM
I dont give a fuck, its my car and ill do what i want with it. You arent driving it so why do you care?

I love body kits - They do absolutely nothing performance wise.

I love wings - Nothing performance wise and people often go way too big. Well may reduce drag some.

Being unique is not wrong, being the same as everyone else and targeting the ones who aren't is wrong.

MINI
05-27-2009, 04:07 PM
If your car came with an aluminum hood, there is a high possibility that it is lighter than your average CF hood unless you spend some major money on it.

Come feel how heavy my hood is, its 1/4th of the car lol :lmfao:

Really though its heavy and so is the hatch...:thinking:..and so is my whole car...:(

speedminded
05-27-2009, 05:36 PM
There is so much stupidity in this thread it would take me an hour just to quote it all lol!

Most aluminum hoods: Miata, Subaru, Z32 300zx, S2000, etc. are already lighter than the typical wet layed carbon fiber hoods you can buy for under $600-800. Expect to pay a $1,000 to $3,000 for lightweight dry carbon fiber hoods which will only have minimal benefits over those with an aluminum hood. Wet or dry carbon is generally both upgrades to steel hoods.

NissanTun3r, you're retarded. Fiberglass is HEAVY. Most aftermarket body kits are HEAVY and most are made using inexpensive methods requiring constant repairs. You hit a piece of tire tread in the road or bottom out pulling out of a driveway with a fiberglass body kit and it will crack at the point of impact and possibly break were it's attached to the fenders. There are flexible resin fiberglass kits but if you don't spend the extra money on a flexible paint, ie. urethane or gel coat then the paint will crack instantly anyways when the part flex's.

Not saying "rice" is function over form but it's a good start.

Stickers on cars when the owner A) aoesn't own the part, or B) isn't being sponsored by the company is "rice". A Tein sticker on a car when they're rocking their S-Tech springs is just humorous.

Aftermarket headlights and taillights tend to leak and discolor.

Clean OEM is not "JDM" and "JDM" is neither a style nor a trend.

Some items are strictly cosmetic but normally if you can't justify a part then it's probably "rice".

Adhesive fender vents are "rice". Non-functional side vents, even stock, is "rice".

Poor fabrication and quality is "rice".

Cars with lift kits to ride on 24-30" wheels is "rice".

I could go on for days. Ricer is a mentality too. The European dudes blasting the stereo of the yellow Eclipse Spyder with 17 speakers in each door at the Varsity one night is RICE. If they had a time machine and went back to 1996 the car would still be rice. My favorite part of it was the poorly cut out hole in the rear fiberglass bumper for the Class A tow hitch.

Pikachu
05-27-2009, 05:52 PM
I say keep it clean. Body kits belong on Buford Highway.

x2 :lmfao:

SiRed94
05-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Yeah, my hatch was RHD, but I converted it to LHD to be JDM because Japanese ppl want to be USDM ya meen?

koukis14
05-27-2009, 10:48 PM
Fuckin ricers

XanRules
05-29-2009, 10:58 AM
So if "rice" is offensive then what new word should we use for cars that have ridiculous amounts of body modification imporperly done, and or properly done but epicly failed that have no purpose but to get attention, look flashy, and make the rest of the tunning world look like ignorant asshats? Cause Ricer just sum's it up if you ask me :D :2up:
That's what it is ;)

1SICKLEX
05-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Fuckin ricers

LOL....

BTW is Clayton County the rice capital of the world?

LordZed
06-05-2009, 04:10 PM
LOL....

BTW is Clayton County the rice capital of the world?

IDK is Buford Hwy in Clayton? :lmfao:
Clayton does have more rice than a box of Uncle Ben's though

m3dic8d
06-07-2009, 10:21 PM
To me rice is doing things half assed. Cutting springs = rice, spray painting body parts on your car = rice, etc.

kaotickaozpunk
06-08-2009, 12:20 AM

you do know the carbon fiber hoods everyone gets arent 100% carbon fiber right? they are fiber glass hoods with layers of carbon fiber material on top or bottom...sometimes both...amatuers!!!!!!! your a rich bastard if you can afford a custom 100% carbon fiber hood...:yes:....but...why would you need one anyways..:no:

Turbodude06
06-08-2009, 03:23 PM
To me rice is doing things half assed. Cutting springs = rice, spray painting body parts on your car = rice, etc.

LOL I only ride on cut springs,:lmfao:but I also HATE! jdm:gay:

95LxCD5
06-08-2009, 04:44 PM
like my RICE guyz?

i made it myself?

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm31/chaos56561/ABETTERONE.jpg

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm31/chaos56561/DEFINITIONOFRICE.jpg

One_Bad_SHO
06-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Whew. I'm so glad i got one of them special carbon fiber hoods that weighs less than the stock hood. :crazy:

pilotace001
06-09-2009, 01:42 AM
Carbon: Ehh, depends on a car as well..
try to hold open the hood of a mkIII supra T...its heavy...
now a stock one on (92) Miata... ...feather

so depends on the car...

Rice: Hmm...so 17s+ on your car is "Rice" ? since there is no real function, (not the 13-17lb racing ones) but it looks a helloafa lot better than stock. (well you could be running 18s to get the BBK to fit)

In the end it comes to opinions, what YOU like, and what YOU think.... and if you have someone to agree with what you think that does not make it a definate, just that you're not the only one that thinks that.

just some thoughts

FRYLOCK
06-09-2009, 08:55 AM
Hop off his nuts.

Thank you but you must know that IA had a 80 percent QD nut swinging ratio

Ocelot
06-13-2009, 02:52 PM
when i think rice i think of cars that have no legit engine mods done, decals (when you are not sponsored) fake vents, walmart "chrome rims" oversize wings/spoilers that have no real use other than looks (not effective as a downforce at 60mph+) and that silly fad that I seen VW and honda guys rolling around with, the rusted hood (on a new, clean looking car)

m3dic8d
06-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Rice: Hmm...so 17s+ on your car is "Rice" ? since there is no real function, (not the 13-17lb racing ones) but it looks a helloafa lot better than stock. (well you could be running 18s to get the BBK to fit)

Wow. I see the logic, but some cars are made for bigger rims...