PDA

View Full Version : Religion Bill Maher documentary...seen it?

sport_122
05-26-2009, 12:06 AM
Id like to hear some input on what some people on here think.

Personally I think he successfully found the dumbest people to represent anything to do this documentary, but it is funny as crap.

There is even a guy on here who claims to be Jesus....so sad:thinking:

Deke
05-26-2009, 12:51 AM
I'm definitely interested to see it. I often agree with Maher on a lot of topics, I just have a problem sometimes with how much of an asshole he can be.

DrivenMind
05-26-2009, 07:02 AM
The point is, he is dealing with innately irrational people. It seems like he's being an asshole because most people associate criticizing or making fun of someones religious faith as being taboo, and socially unacceptable. It's not.

sport_122
05-26-2009, 02:34 PM
The point is, he is dealing with innately irrational people. It seems like he's being an asshole because most people associate criticizing or making fun of someones religious faith as being taboo, and socially unacceptable. It's not.

thats assuming he isn't making fun of Islam. That would get him killed. But he IS being an asshole in a bunch of these cases. It doesn't seem like he was really out for a rational discussion to really pull things out of people as much as it seems that he was mocking the concept of organized religion. If you watch it you will see how he responds to people when he is in the middle east vs europe vs America. It is obvious that he was not going to make certain comments about the muslim faith while he stood in the temple. He would have been killed, no doubt about it.

I think I agree with some points he makes about the foolishness of some of the people in the way they go about their knowledge of their faith and where their religion comes from, but he makes some extremely inaccurate statements throughout the entire documentary. And takes several things out of historical and cultural context to make poorly formed points that could easily dominate a conversation with the ignorant people he interviewed.

I laughed during it because I thought some things were funny, but mostly I was sad at the actions and thoughts of some of the believers (christians mostly).

I just know I am much more grounded in why I believe what I believe and I imagine he specifically edited to get the people who seemed most extreme in the front lines when they should not be. but maybe it should be chalked up to creative editing.

SPOOLIN
05-26-2009, 04:47 PM
i thought it was pretty funny. lol

sport_122
05-26-2009, 11:26 PM
it was funny, there are now several people who are coming out saying that Bill Maher did some tricky editing to make their answers fit his intent. even though I think most of the people should never be discussing their faith in the first place.

A pastor who calls himself a Dr. he has no degree, and wears 2000$ suits with lizard skin shoes and drives a nice car, but claims its about the ministry. and to top it off, he doesn't even have the ability to quote one of the most well known parts of the bible...he needs to be punched in the face.