PDA

View Full Version : army or maines

redblackfan
05-25-2009, 05:55 PM
which one gives you the better benifits. anyone know

tony
05-25-2009, 06:04 PM
All branches get the same benefits. (With the exception of signing bonuses) No disrespect to the Army folks but Marines are more hardcore, it all depends on what you're looking to get out of your time in the service.

If you're looking to join for benefits alone I think I can safely say the Marines probably don't want you.

redblackfan
05-25-2009, 06:08 PM
I think marines are hardcore but their standards are too high for me right now and I need to choose a branch to join.

BanginJimmy
05-25-2009, 06:45 PM
What standards dont you meet for the Corps?

I did 9 years AD in the Corps and now I am in the NG. I would DEFINITELY say Marines over NG. What I have heard about the army, its not much different than the NG either so my choice is obvious.

Marines have the most freedom when your in school and when you hit the fleet, but with it comes higher degrees of accountability.

Nubz
05-25-2009, 06:58 PM
if you're doing it just for the benefits dont waste your time with the marines.

choiiiiiiiii
05-25-2009, 07:37 PM
I think marines are hardcore but their standards are too high for me right now and I need to choose a branch to join.

i can see why their standards are too high for you......education requirements!:rolleyes:

army or maines?

preferredduck
05-26-2009, 07:12 PM
neither

BanginJimmy
05-26-2009, 08:55 PM
neither

go die

preferredduck
05-26-2009, 10:21 PM
go die

is that a threat or something. i kind of take it that way. calm down it's a joke. you know one thing i knoe for sure is the navy is in charge of the marine corps. lol they drive them out to the beach and let them go. i'm a military brat so get over it. hey look into disopsable battleships, it's a little something my dad got to see since he is military. it's called a floating death trap. just enough men to barely run it and if it catches fire you should just jump overboard and swim like hell, seriously look into it. the military is severly underfunded and the people at the top do not care about the men at the bottom. thats the reason my brother got out of the military is it's going to shit.

ranger250x
05-26-2009, 10:38 PM
neither

why would you post that? how did it help the threads creator make his decision? You may have heard some bad stories your father shared with you, but unless you served in the military how can you say it is not for someone?

If the OP is looking purely for benefits , the Marine Corps will not be your best choice. The best advice I can give you is to check all branches out(including Coast Guard) and see what different jobs they have to offer. Military job experience is highly respected on resumes especially if the trade is the same as your job experience.

preferredduck
05-27-2009, 02:13 AM
why would you post that? how did it help the threads creator make his decision? You may have heard some bad stories your father shared with you, but unless you served in the military how can you say it is not for someone?

If the OP is looking purely for benefits , the Marine Corps will not be your best choice. The best advice I can give you is to check all branches out(including Coast Guard) and see what different jobs they have to offer. Military job experience is highly respected on resumes especially if the trade is the same as your job experience.

my whole family is in the military or has been in except for me, and my dad currently still works for the navy but as a civilian so it's not some "bad" stories that have been told. i will say neither of those two, check out the coast guard like you said or maybe the navy. they pay for my bro to go to school BUT he does sometimes have problems with the GI bill.

If you really want to critique i will dig up some info on how WAR veterans are treated in this country, it's really fucking sad man. they go to sunny camp iraq, lose a limb and come home with no pot to piss in or little to know help from the gov't, hence alot of private arganizations that fund most of the care for these people and try to get them basic housing. seriously read up on that it is becoming a bigger issue.

Greddypacked
05-27-2009, 06:32 AM
I would say go to the Army, Coast Gaurd, or even Border Patrol. The Marines isnt a joke, and they arent looking for people to get in just for better benefits. They are looking for the guys that will go all out in the military. Hence the slogan "The few, The proud, The Marines."

BanginJimmy
05-27-2009, 06:48 AM
is that a threat or something.

I can dream cant I?

preferredduck
05-27-2009, 11:21 PM
I can dream cant I?

well your first ammendment right is freedom of speech, ohh wait they are trying to modify that. lol. if you dream of killing me then i seriously need to speak to your commanding officer about this. look at the guy on the news last week in iraq who dreamed of killing innocent people, he did.

preferredduck
05-27-2009, 11:22 PM
I would say go to the Army, Coast Gaurd, or even Border Patrol. The Marines isnt a joke, and they arent looking for people to get in just for better benefits. They are looking for the guys that will go all out in the military. Hence the slogan "The few, The proud, The Marines."

i didn't think of border patrol, but i have a friend who went the coast guard route b/c of the benefits.

Z33_kid
05-27-2009, 11:33 PM
make a good entry test score then talk about benefits

BanginJimmy
05-28-2009, 10:02 AM
well your first ammendment right is freedom of speech, ohh wait they are trying to modify that. lol. if you dream of killing me then i seriously need to speak to your commanding officer about this. look at the guy on the news last week in iraq who dreamed of killing innocent people, he did.

I didnt say I was going to kill you, I just said I hoped you died. My commander is an idiot and WILL get someone killed when they deploy.

BanginJimmy
05-28-2009, 11:12 AM
i didn't think of border patrol, but i have a friend who went the coast guard route b/c of the benefits.

All services have the exact same benefit packages. I dont know why this is so hard for people to understand.

If you are an E-4 in the Chair Force and get a x1 bonus upon re-enlistment, it is the exact same money as a Marine E-4 with a x1 bonus.

Just like Tri-Care is the same, basic pay is the same, school benefits are the same, life insurance is the same.

Greddypacked
05-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Ya I almost went into Coast Gaurd or Border Patrol, but went different route. Border Patrol seems cool.

T.C.
05-28-2009, 09:59 PM
My Dad was a marine and still says that if you are looking for benefits the Airforce is the way to go.

preferredduck
05-28-2009, 11:21 PM
I didnt say I was going to kill you, I just said I hoped you died. My commander is an idiot and WILL get someone killed when they deploy.

see thats still harsh wishing death on people, thats bad ju ju if you ask me. i hope your c/o doesn't get anyone killed though that would not be good. i support the troops of the nation, just not the cause they are being told to fight for that is purely BS in my opinion.

--certain jobs will pay a signing bonus if they need people in that field, but again i have seen this promised and never delivered, so take what you want from that.

--jimmy, don't get urself killed in iraq ok that would suck. then i would have no one to semi argue with online.

BanginJimmy
05-29-2009, 11:36 AM
see thats still harsh wishing death on people, thats bad ju ju if you ask me. i hope your c/o doesn't get anyone killed though that would not be good. i support the troops of the nation, just not the cause they are being told to fight for that is purely BS in my opinion.

The world is a harsh place.

--certain jobs will pay a signing bonus if they need people in that field, but again i have seen this promised and never delivered, so take what you want from that.

In 12 years combined service, I have yet to see or hear of a single person that did not get paid their bonus. Now I have seen several people that didnt get a bonus in their contract, but believed a recruiter. If it isnt in the contract, then it never happened.

--jimmy, don't get urself killed in iraq ok that would suck. then i would have no one to semi argue with online.

I wont be going to UIraq anytime in the near future. I will either be changing units and jobs or getting out if they cant give me what I want.

bluuuurr
05-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Air Force if you can get in.. their being uber picky right now though.. study up on your asvab.. that's gonna be one of the biggest factors (unless you have some college behind you) on how your gonna place within any branch.

preferredduck
05-29-2009, 03:47 PM
The world is a harsh place.

In 12 years combined service, I have yet to see or hear of a single person that did not get paid their bonus. Now I have seen several people that didnt get a bonus in their contract, but believed a recruiter. If it isnt in the contract, then it never happened.

I wont be going to UIraq anytime in the near future. I will either be changing units and jobs or getting out if they cant give me what I want.

i agree with the contracts, some recruiters will tell u anything to get their quota. my brother was supposed to get a bonus for reinlisting but when it came time to sign on the line it wasn' there so he jumped ship.

what is your job title at the moment, if you were in the navy my father could help out, he still has friends in high places b/c he retired as an e-9 and i think there are only a few e-10's in the navy, i forgot the title. he helped out with my brother and when my ex-wife tried check fraud while still in the military. and when she remarried she did not pay her bills like she was supposed to and somehow my dad knew her new husbands c/o in italy. it was really funny. she is on her 5th husband now and is only 27 so that was bad judgement on my part.

leobond001
05-29-2009, 04:04 PM
Air Force if you can get in.. their being uber picky right now though.. study up on your asvab.. that's gonna be one of the biggest factors (unless you have some college behind you) on how your gonna place within any branch.

The reason for that is because they're over crowded, and this is the time high schoolers usually sign on. with that and ppl joining that dont have jobs, theres a mass flooding. its the same with the navy right now. they're even dischargeing ppl who fail pt more than once at certain bases. and i heard this from more than one air foce recriuter the army is tighten down, but not as hard.

i was gonna do the navy, but they were like 9 months till i ship off, so i'm doing thae army now. got one more waiver to come back then i'm signing.

but any way, go army. get a good gt score. above 110 and you can get any job open so you can get a non-combat one.

BanginJimmy
05-29-2009, 04:54 PM
i agree with the contracts, some recruiters will tell u anything to get their quota. my brother was supposed to get a bonus for reinlisting but when it came time to sign on the line it wasn' there so he jumped ship.

Some recruiters will do that, but thankfully, the ones that do that are being weeded out and sent back to their MOS and some are even getting kicked out.

what is your job title at the moment, if you were in the navy my father could help out, he still has friends in high places b/c he retired as an e-9 and i think there are only a few e-10's in the navy, i forgot the title. he helped out with my brother and when my ex-wife tried check fraud while still in the military. and when she remarried she did not pay her bills like she was supposed to and somehow my dad knew her new husbands c/o in italy. it was really funny. she is on her 5th husband now and is only 27 so that was bad judgement on my part.

I will most likely try to get on as a Blackhawk crew chief at Dobbins. If not, maybe go back to fixing them. I tried to go navy reserve after I got out of the corps, but they were going to take a stripe so I said no thanks. Recruiter even tried to get me a waiver because of my time and the fact that I was going to go in with the exact same job.

jumpin800agl
05-31-2009, 12:11 PM
Basics:

HS Diploma preferred in all branches at minimum ( GED are accepted but there are stipulations)
Must pass physical
Army requires 31 qt or above on Asvab. Air Force is in 40's iirc.
Criminal background may be accepted pending waiver approval

preferredduck
06-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Some recruiters will do that, but thankfully, the ones that do that are being weeded out and sent back to their MOS and some are even getting kicked out.

I will most likely try to get on as a Blackhawk crew chief at Dobbins. If not, maybe go back to fixing them. I tried to go navy reserve after I got out of the corps, but they were going to take a stripe so I said no thanks. Recruiter even tried to get me a waiver because of my time and the fact that I was going to go in with the exact same job.

interesting job. i have always wanted to go for a ride in a chopper. i bet they suck working on sometimes. my brother was an MR in the navy so he can make just about anything from metal. you can get good skills in the military depending on what your good at.

b16EG-HaTcH
06-01-2009, 12:59 AM
All services have the exact same benefit packages. I dont know why this is so hard for people to understand.

If you are an E-4 in the Chair Force and get a x1 bonus upon re-enlistment, it is the exact same money as a Marine E-4 with a x1 bonus.

Just like Tri-Care is the same, basic pay is the same, school benefits are the same, life insurance is the same.

exactly :goodjob: you just have to choose the service that is right for you. but as everyone else has said, dont join the marines if your only joining for the benefits, marines want ppl that want to be challenged not some one who wants to just collect a paycheck and have benefits (not talking about you specifically just generalizing) i just signed my army contract and the job i enlisted for didnt have a signing bonus even though it is a needed job, but it was the job i wanted however i scored high enough on the ASVAB that they almos doubled my MGIB for school so thats a bonus in my opinion. but marines dont have signing bonuses period ( at least as far as i know). just do your research and dont make a hasty decision just to get benefits started.

81911SC
06-01-2009, 01:04 AM
I'm also seriously considering the Air Force or Navy if I score high enough on my asvab to do something pretty cool and will set me up for a job back in the civilian world after. I'm going Tuesday to talk to the AF guy. We'll see what happens.

b16EG-HaTcH
06-01-2009, 01:22 AM
good luck w. the ASVAB, but if you can remember anything from high school you will be o.k. they offer practice ASVAB's here ----> http://www.military.com/ i took a few of them before i took my asvab just as a refresher and it really helped. but the AF is really hard to get into right now b/c they have met their numbers for the year already so any little thing is keeping ppl out right now.

b16EG-HaTcH
06-01-2009, 01:24 AM
Basics:

HS Diploma preferred in all branches at minimum ( GED are accepted but there are stipulations)
Must pass physical
Army requires 31 qt or above on Asvab. Air Force is in 40's iirc.
Criminal background may be accepted pending waiver approval

^^^ listen to this guy, he was a recruiter at the office where i went to. BTW i signed my contract this month tim. got airborne signed in it already too :goodjob:

81911SC
06-01-2009, 01:41 AM
good luck w. the ASVAB, but if you can remember anything from high school you will be o.k. they offer practice ASVAB's here ----> http://www.military.com/ i took a few of them before i took my asvab just as a refresher and it really helped. but the AF is really hard to get into right now b/c they have met their numbers for the year already so any little thing is keeping ppl out right now.Yea, I've been checking them out. I won't be signing anything till October at least and it's still just a option. I'm pretty good with Electrical/Mechanical areas so I'll just be brushing up on Science and shit like that. Thanks for the advice. :goodjob:

b16EG-HaTcH
06-01-2009, 02:08 AM
Yea, I've been checking them out. I won't be signing anything till October at least and it's still just a option. I'm pretty good with Electrical/Mechanical areas so I'll just be brushing up on Science and shit like that. Thanks for the advice. :goodjob:

yeah the main thing that killed me was the algebra part, i suck at math, so i had to bust ass to remember that stuff but i made a good score (and good enough to get the job i wanted) so i was relieved

81911SC
06-01-2009, 02:11 AM
I'm going over some of that right now actually.

Humphrizzle
06-01-2009, 02:15 AM
navy and airforce are the most taken care of.. i am going to navy boot camp within 3-4 months

BanginJimmy
06-01-2009, 12:37 PM
navy and airforce are the most taken care of.. i am going to navy boot camp within 3-4 months

What do you have to base that on? The ONLY place that i will agree to this is that the AF have nicer barracks. After that, it is all the same. If anything, the AF has to put up with more childish BS than any other service. That was 1 of the things I miss most about the Corps. You were given the most rope of any service, but if you abused the freedom they were the most likely to string you up by it.

A couple of my experiences.

1. NAS Pensacola for A School. Navy and AF had to stay in uniform 24/7 for the first month they were there, then they were allowed to wear civilian clothes and go off base. We Marines were off abse the day we got there.

2. Afghanistan, Army and AF were required to carry their weapons with no rounds and no magazines. They called it a safety hazard. Marines (my unit) were required to carry loaded at all times except while in the chow hall or the gym.

3. Okinawa, AF had to get a signed pass to leave base for the first month they were on station. Marines could leave anytime they wanted after the first week of indoc classes. E-1 to E-4 were not allowed to stay out past midnight though without signed permission.

tony
06-01-2009, 05:56 PM
AF does have some dumb ass rules, go to Lackland AFB and you'll find out how far those rules can go. There is a laundry list of them.

Marines probably get more liberty because honestly they seem to take their training more seriously.. I really admired that about them and hated our BS because of it. Marines walked to the chow hall, we marched in formation. (as well as the Navy) We had to do facing movements in the hallways while they just laughed.. each one has its ups and downs.

redblackfan
06-01-2009, 08:05 PM
wow

81911SC
06-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Tony,
I'd really like to hear more about your experiences and some of the things you were looking into doing and info about them if you don't mind. I'm going to the AF recruiter tomorrow for the first time.

tony
06-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Reserves or Full time? Anything you want to know I'll tell you.. especially the stuff the recruiter wont tell you.

81911SC
06-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Full time, and that's exactly what I want. :goodjob:
I like to travel and want something to set me up in the civilian world making good money or something in LEO.
Thanks for the help. :D

preferredduck
06-01-2009, 09:53 PM
What do you have to base that on? The ONLY place that i will agree to this is that the AF have nicer barracks. After that, it is all the same. If anything, the AF has to put up with more childish BS than any other service. That was 1 of the things I miss most about the Corps. You were given the most rope of any service, but if you abused the freedom they were the most likely to string you up by it.

A couple of my experiences.

1. NAS Pensacola for A School. Navy and AF had to stay in uniform 24/7 for the first month they were there, then they were allowed to wear civilian clothes and go off base. We Marines were off abse the day we got there.

2. Afghanistan, Army and AF were required to carry their weapons with no rounds and no magazines. They called it a safety hazard. Marines (my unit) were required to carry loaded at all times except while in the chow hall or the gym.

3. Okinawa, AF had to get a signed pass to leave base for the first month they were on station. Marines could leave anytime they wanted after the first week of indoc classes. E-1 to E-4 were not allowed to stay out past midnight though without signed permission.

you are correct about the naavy and the uniform crap. my ex-wife was at corry field right down the road and i was like WTF? i know all abt NAS pensacola.

Reaper
06-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Air Force ftmfw. Air Force lifestyles better, and Army pay is about the same. Marines have the worst living conditions and 0 bonus'. Army bonus' are equivalent to Air Force. It really depends on what you wanna do. But I'm enlisted in the Air Force so I'm bias.

but considering you spelled MARINES wrong, thats where you belong. :goodjob:

BanginJimmy
06-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Air Force ftmfw. Air Force lifestyles better, and Army pay is about the same. Marines have the worst living conditions and 0 bonus'. Army bonus' are equivalent to Air Force. It really depends on what you wanna do. But I'm enlisted in the Air Force so I'm bias.

but considering you spelled MARINES wrong, thats where you belong. :goodjob:

Leave it to the Chair Force to bring up the intelligence thing. Personally I think you are smarter to want to be around people that know how to defend themselves with small arms if they end up in a combat situation.

Every other service has to use a bonus to get enough people to enlist, while the Marines are overbooked for bootcamp without any. So yes, it depends on if you want someone next to you that joined for school and a bonus, or someone that chose to earn their spot as member of the best fighting force in the world. You decide.

Master Shake
06-07-2009, 05:51 PM

.in order to get the full sign on bonus, you gotta do things, for instance, i'm enlisted to go, and i'm getting a 15k bonus for my job, however, if i don't make it thru the school for it, i don't get the bonus. make any sense?

so, what you seen, could have been similar to that, and the other person didn't mention it or whatever.

bluuuurr
06-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Are there any active NAVY guys on the board? I'm the guy that's waiting on the waiver to get into the Air Force. I went and showed a NAVY recruiter my asvab scores yesterday and he said that he would get the ball rolling for me immediately. (Whereas the Air Force have been seriously taking their time).

BanginJimmy
06-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Are there any active NAVY guys on the board? I'm the guy that's waiting on the waiver to get into the Air Force. I went and showed a NAVY recruiter my asvab scores yesterday and he said that he would get the ball rolling for me immediately. (Whereas the Air Force have been seriously taking their time).

What are you looking to do?

Danny
06-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Leave it to the Chair Force to bring up the intelligence thing. Personally I think you are smarter to want to be around people that know how to defend themselves with small arms if they end up in a combat situation.

Every other service has to use a bonus to get enough people to enlist, while the Marines are overbooked for bootcamp without any. So yes, it depends on if you want someone next to you that joined for school and a bonus, or someone that chose to earn their spot as member of the best fighting force in the world. You decide.

wow great post.

Reaper
06-20-2009, 11:58 AM

I was actually kidding with that comment, I have several friends that are Marines. Outside of SOF's, Marines are the first to go in for a reason. I am a firm believer that every single branch needs each other. We all have specific purposes, everyone makes fun of all the other branches, I think its stupid. Its like comparing which SOF is better..It's impossible, they all have different missions. Its all about what your looking for in life. I've always wanted to be the guy that blew stuff up, but didn't want to go eod. So I've decided to be a TACP(tactical air control party). Calling in airstrikes for the army and getting to potentially work with Rangers and Special Forces and going through Ranger school and the HALO etc.

Eventually I want to be a Pararescue and just work CSAR missions. They are opposite sides of the spectrum but thankfully Air Force offers both jobs. If I went Marines I'd want to be Force Recon, but theres no specific contract, they just take the best volunteers in your batallion and off you go to indoc. But there is no contract for that, you just have to be the best, theres no promises you'll even be allowed to tryout. I can see why, but I also think that some perservere over others in those kind of situations and if you want a shot take it. Everyone has different reasons for different branches, its all about your personality and goals. I actually just met a Force Recon Marine who's transferring into the Air Force (he's a reservist currently) and going into Combat Control. Hell I met a guy at the gym recently thats been in every branch and every SOF, started with Marines, went to Navy, Army and is now a PJ for the Air Force. Don't ask me why lol

Anyways, to all those that serve or have served, thank you. To those that are currently in, maybe I'll see ya down range.

Reaper
06-20-2009, 12:02 PM

they did the same thing for me, it sits on some captains desk while they process all the others through. 50,000 airman will go through bmt this year. :eek: just be patient, and nag your recruiter.

preferredduck
06-25-2009, 02:35 AM

my dad is retired navy but works for the navy school in athens for another two weeks if you need anything he still knows people.

tony
06-25-2009, 07:00 AM
You know who is really hard to get in touch with? The mutha*#*(& Coast Guard, I've been waiting all summer for a response.