PDA

View Full Version : What Is A Good First Bike

#1Beaver
09-30-2005, 10:33 PM
What Is A Good First Bike for someone who has only road a dirtbike!

I would love to get a honda cbr 600 for my first bike
Thanks For Your Help

Tarzanman
09-30-2005, 11:44 PM
Even though riding a dirtbike makes you very familiar with the controls on a street bike... the riding styles are completely different. I am sure you know this already, but putting a foot down at speed for a turn isn't really a viable option on the street.... and neither is dropping your bike (unless you like to spend money on repairs and hospital bills). Unless you get a very light motorcycle, a streetbike is going to feel like lard-assed whale in comparison.

Since you didn't say how much and how long and how often you have ridden a dirtbike, I am goign to assume that you are a novice rider (as most dirtbikers are when it comes to street bikes).

It all really depends on how fast you want to learn to ride, in my opinion. Any joe-blow off the street can figure out how to accelerate and decelerate in a straight line in 10 minutes. After you have the basic operation of the bike down, it is things like cornering, leaning, obstacle voidance, risk mitigation and route/path planning that make you get better.

These things are learned faster on smaller bikes... plain and simple. Popping the clutch during a start or on a downshift on a 250cc or a 500cc will make the bike moan and complain. Doing the same thing on a 100+ hp bike might wheelie it, or dip the front fork and make it throw you. Really, it comes down to weight and hp/torque rather than displacement (even thought the two are related).

A 250cc or 500cc bike with ~40hp will be the fastest to learn on. A 500cc is preferable to a 250cc because a 250cc bike will just BARELY keep up in the slow lane on a highway (forget about passing cars... accident waiting to happen). Some smaller riders might need a 250cc bike due to their size, but don't despair... 250's are perfect for regular street traffic.

The highest amount of hp i would start off with is 80hp. 80hp is just barely enough to get you in trouble/when you make a mistake. However, in endeavoring to stay safe and right side up on the motorcycle, you will definitely encounter a steeper (slower) learning curve than a person on an easier-to-control bike.

I'll write some more tomorrow after i wake up. I'm sleepy!

#1Beaver
09-30-2005, 11:55 PM
is an older modle cb4 a good learning bike just name a few please
thanks

#1Beaver
09-30-2005, 11:59 PM
sorry im tired older model cbr 600

LordMDP
10-01-2005, 12:02 AM
older CBR's like CBR F2's are good bikes

Ninja 500's(ex500) are great
Suzuki GS500
Seca II
Katana/Bandit 600

just to name a few

---->SV650S-90 degree liquid cooled v-twin-really great bikes
makes about 70hp so it isn't slow but it won't break the rear wheel loose without warning either

#1Beaver
10-01-2005, 12:08 AM
thanx, im happy u said the cbr, cuz those are my fav bikes even the older ones!

Tarzanman
10-01-2005, 09:21 AM
An older 600 CBR is only so-so to learn to ride on. At 105hp (98 model) it definitely has enough power to hurt you/throw you/lose control if you make an error.... so you'll want to take it easy and progress very gradually.

Katanas aren't very well regarded by some riders. I think the problem is that EVERY other bike suzuki makes is better than a Katana (GS500, GSX-R, SV650, SV650s). They are heavy and about 86hp, though

LordMDP
10-01-2005, 10:53 PM
well the f2's f3 are fairly tame-
SV650 are great bikes-ver light weight and agile(i race one)

DelxxxSol
10-17-2005, 11:05 AM
Get a Busa...Thier great to start on...their nothin. =)

MyMomTookMyCivic
10-18-2005, 01:48 AM
suzuki has an sv500. you should check that out if you're looking for something new. it looks pretty much the same as a gsxr, but the rear seat is connected to the drivers seat. if you're looking for something used and want a honda, get something cheap, old, and beat up. chances are you'll drop it anyway. good luck though.

YokotaS13
10-18-2005, 01:04 PM
woot for the suzuki DR650

HiPSI
10-18-2005, 03:46 PM
suzuki has an sv500.

GS500 is what you're talking about.

ARFNSX
10-20-2005, 02:25 PM
I will probably be selling my gf EX500 within a week. She learned how to ride on it, never dropped it and now she is moving onto the R6. I will take pix tonight.

thanks

HiPSI
10-20-2005, 06:16 PM
stick it up on georgiasportbike.com at a reasonable price and you'll def have no issue in getting rid of it.

YokotaS13
10-21-2005, 12:34 AM
i keep trying to register there to list my bike, but damn it wont send me a validation email

kreedok
11-19-2005, 05:48 PM
My first bike was a cbr600rr. Had it for awhlie now.. havn't fallen even once. I do wheelies and top end pulls all the time. Get whatever you like, yes some bikes have more power but that doesn't mean you have to use it.. yet. Take it easy for a month and you'll be fine.. I could've easily bought a 1000cc bike and been fine.

Tarzanman
11-22-2005, 01:29 PM
There are countless tales and stories of people who've been in accidents and/or died that tell a different story.

I think the conventional wisdom is 'why take the risk'? You won't lose more than $500 on a 'starter bike' (lots dont' lose any money at all), and its not like bike shopping is a bad thing. A new rider should have 80hp tops.. and the lighter the bike is, the better.

Not knowing how to operate a bike is only part of the problem with tryign to start on a powerful bike... the real danger is when you *think* you have a couple of trips under your belt and *think* you have it down that you come into that corner too hot or roll that throttle too much. Yes, you can take it slow at first, but you're supposed to do that on a starter bike anyway.

The problem isn't the learning curve... the problem is the forgiveness curve for *when* (not if... when... even people who have never dropped their bikes have had close calls) you screw up.

wantboost
12-13-2005, 04:08 PM
The problem isn't the learning curve... the problem is the forgiveness curve for *when* (not if... when... even people who have never dropped their bikes have had close calls) you screw up] QUOTE / very true when my bro was learning how to ride the throtle got stuck all the way open. thank god he didnt have of a bike or he would be dead

Kathryn
12-14-2005, 06:48 PM
Start with a 600. That's what I started on and it worked out well for me. The hardest part is just "getting comfortable". Be cautious, but be confident. If you think you will drop, you probably will. Learn your positioning, slowly progress your speeds, get used to the release points on the clutch, and feel out leaning capabilities according to speed. Just don't ride beyond your ability- there is where everyone goes down- just trying to keep up with soemone else. Just remember your on 2 wheels.

qdiesel
03-07-2006, 11:23 PM
I know that you probably like the looks of the 600 bikes and up. I say that you get something that you are going to like and keep for a while. I had a boy that had never rode a bike and he went and bought a hayabusa. He has had no problem and has never wreked. Its all about how you ride....smart or stupid.

DurtySpeed
03-07-2006, 11:55 PM
I have only been riding for a couple of weeks now. I have a 94 katana 600. It is a great starter bike in my opinion. Not so powerful that it is uncontrollable but enough to keep you happy.

I agree with the whole thing of people getting bikes and saying I will be careful. That is bs. Like said above, it is the when that matters. You will mess up. The less experience you have, the more likely you are too. Take cars for instance. When you first started driving,you told your parents you were going to be careful, right? Well how many times did you push your luck? Do burnouts? Fly through the yellow lights? Speed? Almost rear end someone at a light because you weren't paying attention(everyone has done this at least 3 times, so no bs on this)? All this happened even though you were 'being careful'. Maybe nothing happened from it but on the bike, it is a lot less forgiving.

YokotaS13
03-08-2006, 05:00 AM
i have been riding my buell and bikes in general for like 7 months at most, and i am as careful as the day i started. As long as you treat a motorcycle with respect, and as a privelage, youw ill be fine

i wish some people drove like the japaneese do

HiPSI
03-08-2006, 12:36 PM
it's not about being CAREFUL it's about being SMART. a 600 is fine as long as you're comfortable with it and you aren't prone to stupidity.

1insaneR
03-08-2006, 09:25 PM
this is a good bike to start out at. http://forums.importatlanta.com/showthread.php?t=46562

EVO21
03-25-2006, 07:11 PM
yea I agree get da Busa man

DelxxxSol
04-04-2006, 09:16 AM
buy my bike

HiPSI
04-04-2006, 10:27 AM
yea I agree get da Busa man

ZX-14 is where it's at.

speedminded
04-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Aprilia RS250 :D

HiPSI
04-04-2006, 03:43 PM
motard :D. can't hurt them.

David88vert
04-04-2006, 09:27 PM
motard :D. can't hurt them.

YOU will. You just haven't had it long enough yet. :D

HiPSI
04-04-2006, 10:18 PM
YOU will. You just haven't had it long enough yet. :D

the worst i can do to this bike is bend some bars and maybe jack up some plastics ;).

lightspeed
04-05-2006, 09:41 PM
What Is A Good First Bike for someone who has only road a dirtbike!
I would love to get a honda cbr 600 for my first bike
Thanks For Your Help
If you are speed-addicted like most sportbike riders, dont waste your time or money on a slow, little bike, unless you really want a slow, little bike. In Atlanta, you need the power to get around stupid-ass SUV's who dont pay attention. I wouldnt get anything smaller than a 600. The newer 600's are so fast that you could probably be fully satisfied with that forever. I would not suggest anything smaller though.
My first bike was a cbr600f4, but within 6 months I bought a gsxr750, then a hyabusa in another 6 months (and no, not because I wrecked them...I had them at the same time, until I sold the others) I just got addicted to the speed and wanted more and more. I did get tired of the hyabusa quickly (too big, more clumsy handling,) but I stayed with liter bikes. Granted, a modern 600 is more bike than any rider can fully use, esp on the street, but you cant argue with displacement when it comes to modern sportbikes (in a straight line.)
If I was you, and you have the money, get a new gsxr750. Thats probably the best combination of speed and handling you are going to find.
The bike only goes as fast as you turn the throttle. As long as you can handle the way a sportbike feels, you dont have to haul ass all the time. Just ride it as cautiously as you want.
Take this from someone who spent a lot of f'ing money figuring this out on their own. Buy the biggest bike you can possible stand, and grow into it. Dont waste thousands of dollars trading around.

DelxxxSol
04-07-2006, 12:40 AM
If you are speed-addicted like most sportbike riders, dont waste your time or money on a slow, little bike, unless you really want a slow, little bike. In Atlanta, you need the power to get around stupid-ass SUV's who dont pay attention. I wouldnt get anything smaller than a 600. The newer 600's are so fast that you could probably be fully satisfied with that forever. I would not suggest anything smaller though.
My first bike was a cbr600f4, but within 6 months I bought a gsxr750, then a hyabusa in another 6 months (and no, not because I wrecked them...I had them at the same time, until I sold the others) I just got addicted to the speed and wanted more and more. I did get tired of the hyabusa quickly (too big, more clumsy handling,) but I stayed with liter bikes. Granted, a modern 600 is more bike than any rider can fully use, esp on the street, but you cant argue with displacement when it comes to modern sportbikes (in a straight line.)
If I was you, and you have the money, get a new gsxr750. Thats probably the best combination of speed and handling you are going to find.
The bike only goes as fast as you turn the throttle. As long as you can handle the way a sportbike feels, you dont have to haul ass all the time. Just ride it as cautiously as you want.
Take this from someone who spent a lot of f'ing money figuring this out on their own. Buy the biggest bike you can possible stand, and grow into it. Dont waste thousands of dollars trading around.

u know if you posted this on some of the motorcycle forums like georgia sport bike you would get flamed sooooooo bad right now...AKA squid.....dude if you wanna learn go take MSF and get urself a goo starter...bikes will sell fer the same price u bought em for....leanr how to ride safely and right...then come the expireience you can choose your bike that you want...you'll live longer to enjoy that you did it in steps

HiPSI
04-07-2006, 11:01 AM

while this advice will work for some, for even more it almost becomes a death sentence. i personally have had no issue riding just about any type of bike, but other people i know can barely get the idea of using the clutch and brakes properly down. without prior knowledge of a person's experience and/or level of comfort with certain things it's always best to recommend the proven way to start riding safely.

Tarzanman
04-14-2006, 07:41 AM
No offense... but if you wasted thousands dollars trading around, then you have a lot more money than you do brains.

You should buy used, used, used, until you figure out what kind of bike you want. Get a bike at a decent used price... ride it for a few months/years/whatever and then sell it for what you paid for it (or more, as in the case with me and a friend of mine). The only way you'll lose money is if you:
1.Buy a new bike or a bike under 2 years old
2.Drop your bike or don't take care of it mechanically/cosmetically.
3.Sell it during the winter (duh).

I do agree with you that a power of a 600 is useful on the highway... but a 500 has just enough power to hang in the fast lane, and it will teach you better driving habits (having a lot less torque than
all the cars around you will make you be more careful about how you ride).

Following your reasoning, all bikes below 600cc are basically useless as street bikes. Most every other country in the world disagrees with you, which is why pretty much every country except the US has
tiered licensing (meaning you have to start out with a restricted license and ride a smaller bike for a year or two before you are allowed to ride a 600cc bike).

People who give the advice you give aren't quite honest. Instead of saying "This advice isn't the safest route, but I ...", they *instead* say "Just ride it as cautiously as you want". I don't fault you for having your opinion.... but you should make it clear to the person the good and the bad of the course you are reccomending.

SleepingTalon
04-21-2006, 11:23 AM
My first bike was my 600RR, and it took some getting used to. Not everyone is the same though, and learning patterns are different. I agreee that it's probably better to get a smaller bike and work your way up, but if you've got discipline, and self control, a bigger bike can be a learner bike just as easily. Unfortunately, that's almost never the case. I was always in the frame of mind that told me to RESPECT the bike, and be very cautious, so I've been fortunate. That doesn't mean I don't have fun every now and then, but I'm pretty safe when I do it. My only piece of advice is this...GO TO THE MSF COURSE. It was the best thing I ever did, that's for damn sure.

Shyboixvt
04-25-2006, 10:44 PM
I think starting with a 600cc bike is fine as long as you ride smart. I started with a 95' Suzuki GSX 600 3 years ago and still have it today. It wasn't too powerful to learn with yet powerful enough to keep me happy when I got better at riding. I wouldn't go out and drop $5 grand on a newer bike to learn with. More than likely you are going to lay it over at least once. Why waste money on something really nice when you are just going to damage it (cosmetically and mechanically)?

By the way, I'm selling my bike now if anyone is interested. Just got a newer one.

lightspeed
05-10-2006, 11:47 PM
Wow, damn this is old. I was just cruising through the motorcycle section and I noticed that I had posted here a long time ago, and got jumped-on by the opinion police. So, I have to respond. Probably no one is reading haha, but it makes me feel better.

No offense... but if you wasted thousands dollars trading around, then you have a lot more money than you do brains.
This is a BS statement, if you knew the conditions. First of all, the bike I wanted, the 600f4, had just come out in the specific color that I fell in love with. There really werent any used ones at the time.
Secondly, the bike I traded that one on was a completely redesigned model for that year, and there also were no used ones. I got one of the first ones to hit the the dealerships.
The next bike was used, and I didnt loose much on it, if any.
The Busa was new, but I actually ended-up selling it to a friend of mine for what I paid for it, so I lost nothing.
I used to trade bikes annually, and yes, I tend to buy new ones. Yes, I am impulsive and I buy what I want, when I want it. I also like to know that Im the person to break it in right, and I like knowing how its treated since day one. If this means I might loose some money on it when I trade it, so be it. Its worth the peace of mind to me.

Following your reasoning, all bikes below 600cc are basically useless as street bikes. Most every other country in the world disagrees with you, which is why pretty much every country except the US has
tiered licensing (meaning you have to start out with a restricted license and ride a smaller bike for a year or two before you are allowed to ride a 600cc bike).
:jerkit:
There are a lot of silly, "keep you safe" laws all over the world. Just because its a law in some European countries doesnt make it right.

People who give the advice you give aren't quite honest. Instead of saying "This advice isn't the safest route, but I ...", they *instead* say "Just ride it as cautiously as you want". I don't fault you for having your opinion.... but you should make it clear to the person the good and the bad of the course you are reccomending.
This is an ignorant statement. Im being 100% honest. Opinions and recommendations stem from personal experience and personal preference. I am not his mommy, and its not my job to make sure he makes the "safest" choice in motorcycles. Youre talking about something that is inherently dangerous anyway.
I gave my opinion, but its up to him to make a choice on what he buys.

Anyway, I would LOVE for someone to give me one intelligent reason why a, lets say, a Ninja 250, is any "safer" than a cbr600f4.
Can the 250 avoid an accident better? answer:NO. As a matter of fact, I can argue its more dangerous because the f4 has better brakes, handling, and acceleration ot be able to avoid an accident to start with.
Does a 250 provide any additional protection in case of an accident? answer:NO
If you fall-off of a 250, does it hurt you less? answer:NO
The 600 is a little harder to learn to ride due to the shorter clipons and more powerful brakes, but that is easily learned with a modicum of effort. All of the controls are in the same general location.
I admit that the 600 can also get you in trouble more if you cant control it. This is the only place where someone can make any sane argument, and to them, I reiterate....its totally up to the rider. The bike only goes as fast as you turn the throttle, and it only stops as fast as you make it. If you have the self-control to take it easy for a while, I see no problem in starting with a 600.
I used to ride MX a lot, but I had never owned, or hardly ridden for that matter, a street bike. My first bike was a 600, a fast one at that, and I had no issues and no accidents.

BTW, this is probably a moot point by now, since I hope you bought something. What did buy, if anything?

jfman
05-11-2006, 06:46 AM
http://www.georgiasportbike.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28009

read up !

Tarzanman
05-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Wow, damn this is old. I was just cruising through the motorcycle section and I noticed that I had posted here a long time ago, and got jumped-on by the opinion police. So, I have to respond. Probably no one is reading haha, but it makes me feel better.

This is a BS statement, if you knew the conditions. First of all, the bike I wanted, the 600f4, had just come out in the specific color that I fell in love with. There really werent any used ones at the time.

Choosing a first bike for looks isn't the wisest way to go about learning to ride... at least not in this country where there are approximately 3 total models of good starter sportbikes.

Secondly, the bike I traded that one on was a completely redesigned model for that year, and there also were no used ones. I got one of the first ones to hit the the dealerships.[/quote]
Too bad. You made a mistake by getting a new bike as your first bike... especially with all the junk fees the dealer probably tossed on since you got one of the first. I aint been around long, but I do know that that is a bad way to go about getting a motorcycle if you are trying to keep costs down.

The next bike was used, and I didnt loose much on it, if any.
The Busa was new, but I actually ended-up selling it to a friend of mine for what I paid for it, so I lost nothing.
I used to trade bikes annually, and yes, I tend to buy new ones. Yes, I am impulsive and I buy what I want, when I want it. I also like to know that Im the person to break it in right, and I like knowing how its treated since day one. If this means I might loose some money on it when I trade it, so be it. Its worth the peace of mind to me.
I'm not hating on you. I am grateful for folks who are willing to take the financial hit and buy new (if noone did that, then there wouldnt' be any used bikes for the rest of us). Personal preference or no, it isn't the best way to go about getting a good bike... its just the easiest. (Money makes most things easier, I find). I got my first bike, and DelSolxxx got his third bike from two obsessive-compulsives that took *extremely* good care of their bikes. It is very possible to find used rides that run better than they did off the showroom floor... but you have to sit and wait till you meet the right seller with the right bike.[/quote]

:jerkit:
There are a lot of silly, "keep you safe" laws all over the world. Just because its a law in some European countries doesnt make it right.
You'll find opinions running both ways depending on who you ask. My point is that there was obviously a reason/impetus for this kind of law to be passed in so many countries over there.

A LOT more people over there ride than over here. That alone should clue you in to the fact that they have more experience with motorcyclists over there. I bet that states here in the USA would adopt a similar law if more and more bikes started appearing on the roads. It would only take one or two seasons of new riders on bikes-too-powerful-for them causing accidents for it to happen.

This is an ignorant statement. Im being 100% honest. Opinions and recommendations stem from personal experience and personal preference. I am not his mommy, and its not my job to make sure he makes the "safest" choice in motorcycles. Youre talking about something that is inherently dangerous anyway.
I gave my opinion, but its up to him to make a choice on what he buys.

Anyway, I would LOVE for someone to give me one intelligent reason why a, lets say, a Ninja 250, is any "safer" than a cbr600f4.
Can the 250 avoid an accident better? answer:NO. As a matter of fact, I can argue its more dangerous because the f4 has better brakes, handling, and acceleration ot be able to avoid an accident to start with.
Does a 250 provide any additional protection in case of an accident? answer:NO
If you fall-off of a 250, does it hurt you less? answer:NO
The 600 is a little harder to learn to ride due to the shorter clipons and more powerful brakes, but that is easily learned with a modicum of effort. All of the controls are in the same general location.
I admit that the 600 can also get you in trouble more if you cant control it. This is the only place where someone can make any sane argument, and to them, I reiterate....its totally up to the rider. The bike only goes as fast as you turn the throttle, and it only stops as fast as you make it. If you have the self-control to take it easy for a while, I see no problem in starting with a 600.
I used to ride MX a lot, but I had never owned, or hardly ridden for that matter, a street bike. My first bike was a 600, a fast one at that, and I had no issues and no accidents.

BTW, this is probably a moot point by now, since I hope you bought something. What did buy, if anything?

A ninja is safer than a 600 because it is much more feasible to correct or recover from a miscalculation/mistake due to the lighter weight, slower throttle, enhanced flickability, and more standard seating position. I'd think that a seasoned rider like yourself would be able to figure that out.

You started on a 600? Definitely not the safest path to take. What would you tell your mom to start out on? A brand new F4i?

ECMgarrett
05-11-2006, 07:20 PM
heres my opinion on it - you may think youre cautious and have control, but you have no idea until you're on the bike.

i have a buddy thats ridden for years (started on dirtbikes and then went to a 883 sportster and recently bought a RC51), plenty of experience. he wrecked his bike this past weekend. too much speed going into a curve was the first part of the problem and then too much brake...
yes, you can have too much brake, thats when people flip over the handlebars.

dude, dont get more than a 600, unless of course its like a 1985 750 or something lol.
if this is your first street bike you need to be able to handle it well, its going to be a lot different than you think.

lightspeed - you give horrible advice....

lightspeed
05-12-2006, 01:15 PM
ECMGarrett, you give wussy advice :blah:
I said 600, then you just said dont get more than a 600...hmm. Sounds the same..
The point you are making about the Harley guy getting an RC51 is moot here. There are going to be a lot of differences going from a cruiser to a sportbike. This is because he is used to riding a cruiser, and therefore his experience and skill is based on that. The CHANGE of going to a sportbike may have caused the issue....the fact that his experience taught him to expect a bike to react one way, but since he changed bikes, the new bike is reacting differently. However, if he had learned on an RC51 and the skill was built on that, it wouldnt have been an issue. By the same token, if you learn on a 600, you are going to have no pre-conceived expectation of how a cruiser was, therefore avoiding the issue.

I had an RC51 for a season. I liked it, but ironically, I thought it had incredibly sensitive brakes...probably the most powerful Ive even tried.

This is really a silly debate, since its all opinion anyway. Each person needs to make their own decision based on how comfortable they are with the situation.

lightspeed
05-12-2006, 02:58 PM
A ninja is safer than a 600 because it is much more feasible to correct or recover from a miscalculation/mistake due to the lighter weight, slower throttle, enhanced flickability, and more standard seating position.
OK...finally, here is a good point, and I agree partially, in the case of a ninja 250 and a cbr600f4. I agree about the lower weight in this exact scenario, but then again I picked an incredibly light "starter" bike for comparison. A lot of people buy more cruiser or "standard" bikes as a starter bike. A lot of those bikes actually weigh more than a cbr 600, even ones with smaller displacement and/or less power.
As for flickability and seating, I think that comes down to the rider. True, a more upright bike with longer clipons/bars is going to allow more leverage, but I think that is easy to overcome.

I'd think that a seasoned rider like yourself would be able to figure that out.
Im not sure if youre questioning my experience riding, so ill give you the skinny. First, I do not consider myself to be an expert rider. Ive only been riding for about 6 years now, which isnt a long time compared-to a lot of "seasoned" riders. I have been to a couple race school and track days, and I spend the majority of my riding time in mountains. I dont consider myself an expert rider however, and I am the first to admit I have a lot to learn before I would be viable in competition.
I have never owned a bike that wasnt a sportbike. Ironically, the bike I first rode on the street after I got my permit was a Ninja 250, but that was only because its the only thing that I had available (a friend let me borrow it.) I rode it two times before buying my cbr 600. Even more funny, I actually bought the new gsxr750, the second bike, while I still had my permit only. I actually took my motorcycle license test on a new gsxr750 LOL. That was a trip actually.
I ride motorcycles for two reasons. The first is for the adrenaline rush of acceleration and speed. The second is the desire of getting away from everything and everyone for a few hours on the weekends, without possibility of hearing my cellphone ring or having to deal with other people. I actually prefer to ride alone. I dont ride because I like to be "part of a group" or anything like that, nor do I particularly care about the scenery or other things that many other people like about riding. For these reasons, Ive never owned anything but sportbikes. I prefaced my original post with the disclaimer of "if you are speed-addicted like most riders..." Hence my opinion is based on this mindset, and I still stick to it. A sportbike can be an acceptable first-bike, if you can control it. If you like sportbikes and speed, dont waste time and money on a non-sportbike, just because someone tells you its safer.

ECMgarrett
05-12-2006, 03:22 PM
I said 600, then you just said dont get more than a 600...hmm. Sounds the same..

If I was you, and you have the money, get a new gsxr750.

Buy the biggest bike you can possible stand, and grow into it. Dont waste thousands of dollars trading around.

really? you said that, cause here youre saying get a 750....

lightspeed
05-12-2006, 05:16 PM
really? you said that, cause here youre saying get a 750....
You are correct, but I also say "If I was you." I brought up 600's prior to that, and, all the subsequent posts were discussing 600's as the starter size. Although I do think a 750 is probably just as acceptable, its more money than most people want to spend for a first one.

Damnit, speaking of 750's, I almost bought an 06 750 last weekend, although I dont want to sell my bike and I dont need two bikes. Its rediculously sweet. <drools>