PDA

View Full Version : Racist

Hulud
09-30-2005, 10:19 PM
Bennett under fire for remarks on blacks, crime

Friday, September 30, 2005; Posted: 1:08 p.m. EDT (17:08 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Congressional Democrats blasted former Education Secretary William Bennett on Thursday for saying that aborting "every black baby in this country" would reduce the crime rate, and demanded their Republican counterparts do the same.

"This is precisely the kind of insensitive, hurtful and ignorant rhetoric that Americans have grown tired of," said Rep. Bobby Rush, D-Illinois.

More (http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/30/bennett.comments/index.html)

EX-Svic
09-30-2005, 10:20 PM
I saw that on tv something related they were going at it like dogs.........Peace

Cliff
09-30-2005, 11:07 PM
i started cracking up laughing...couldn't believe someone of that high of a position would publicly say that....

RandomGuy
10-01-2005, 01:38 AM
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NO WAY DID HE SAY THAT... that reminds me of something from tshirthell.com

Marta Mike
10-01-2005, 01:40 AM
DAMN, he got some big cahunas to say that!!!

JITB
10-01-2005, 03:29 AM
lol wow...makes u think

David88vert
10-01-2005, 06:02 AM
Listen to the complete interview. Not just what the media wanted to portray.

tony
10-01-2005, 07:20 AM
Listen to the complete interview. Not just what the media wanted to portray.

Usually I'm one to get the whole story but I just dont understand how that can be portrayed wrong? I know he was trying to make the point that aborted children would likely have grown up in a lower class single parent household but there is not a drop of intelligence in his statement.

I take the statement personally being black and having grown up in a single parent household.. not to say I'm offended because everyone has an opinion and I don't care for the guy, its just plain dumb.

JoeCoolinATL
10-02-2005, 01:36 AM
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Congressional Democrats blasted former Education Secretary William Bennett on Thursday for saying that aborting "every black baby in this country" would reduce the crime rate, and demanded their Republican counterparts do the same.

"This is precisely the kind of insensitive, hurtful and ignorant rhetoric that Americans have grown tired of," said Rep. Bobby Rush, D-Illinois.

White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan told reporters on Friday that President Bush "believes the comments were not appropriate."

Bennett, who held prominent posts in the administrations of former presidents Ronald Reagan and George Bush, told a caller to his syndicated radio talk show Wednesday: "If you wanted to reduce crime, you could -- if that were your sole purpose -- you could abort every black baby in this country and your crime rate would go down.

"That would be an impossibly ridiculous and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down," he said.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-California, had called on President Bush to condemn the comments by Bennett, who was anti-drug chief in Bush's father's administration.

"What could possibly have possessed Secretary Bennett to say those words, especially at this time?" Pelosi asked. "What could he possibly have been thinking? This is what is so alarming about his words."

Bennett stood by his comments Thursday night.

"I was putting forward a hypothetical proposition. Put that forward. Examined it. And then said about it that it's morally reprehensible. To recommend abortion of an entire group of people in order to lower your crime rate is morally reprehensible. But this is what happens when you argue that the ends can justify the means," he told CNN.

"I'm not racist, and I'll put my record up against theirs," referring to Pelosi and other critics. "I've been a champion of the real civil rights issue of our times -- equal educational opportunities for kids."

"We've got to have candor and talk about these things while we reject wild hypotheses," Bennett said.

"I don't think people have the right to be angry, if they look at the whole thing. But if they get a selective part of my comment, I can see why they would be angry. If somebody thought I was advocating that, they ought to be angry. I would be angry."

"But that's not what I advocate."

Asked if he owed people an apology, Bennett replied, "I don't think I do. I think people who misrepresented my view owe me an apology."

Bennett served as Reagan's chairman of the National Endowment for the Humanities from 1981-1985 and secretary of education from 1985-1988. From 1989-1990, he served as "drug czar" in the administration of the elder Bush.

Rush called on "my friends, the responsible Republicans" to rebuke the former Cabinet official by backing a House resolution condemning his remarks as "outrageous racism of the most bigoted and ignorant kind."

"Where is the indignation from the GOP, as one of their prominent members talk about aborting an entire race of Americans as a way of ridding this country of crime?" asked Rush, a former Black Panther. "How ridiculous! How asinine! How insane can one be?"

He called instead for "aborting" Republican policies "which have hurt the disadvantaged, the poor, average Americans for the benefit of large corporations."

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid said he was "appalled" by Bennett's remarks.

"The Republican Party has recently taken great pains to reach out to the African-American community, and I hope that they will be swift in condemning Mr. Bennett's comments as nothing short of callous and ignorant," said Reid, D-Nevada.

And Bruce Gordon, president and CEO of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, demanded an apology from Bennett and the Salem Radio Network, which airs his radio program.

"In 2005, there is no place for the kind of racist statement made by Bennett," Gordon said in a written statement. "While the entire nation is trying to help survivors, black and white, to recover from the damage caused by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, it is unconscionable for Bennett to make such ignorant and insensitive comments."

A man who answered the phone at the network said no one would be available to comment until Friday.

Bennett's 1993 repackaging of traditional morality tales, "The Book of Virtues," became a bestseller, and Bennett became a popular lecturer on moral issues. But in 2003, stung by news reports that he had lost millions of dollars in Las Vegas and Atlantic City over the last decade, he publicly renounced gambling and vowed to stay away from the slots from then on.

He is a Fox News contributor and chairman of "Americans for Victory over Terrorism," which his Web site calls "a project dedicated to sustaining and strengthening public opinion as the war on terrorism moves forward."

SniperJoe
10-02-2005, 08:39 AM
Here is a copy of the whole conversation, just for posterity's sake:

CALLER: I noticed the national media, you know, they talk a lot about the loss of revenue, or the inability of the government to fund Social Security, and I was curious, and I've read articles in recent months here, that the abortions that have happened since Roe v. Wade, the lost revenue from the people who have been aborted in the last 30-something years, could fund Social Security as we know it today. And the media just doesn't -- never touches this at all.

BENNETT: Assuming they're all productive citizens?

CALLER: Assuming that they are. Even if only a portion of them were, it would be an enormous amount of revenue.

BENNETT: Maybe, maybe, but we don't know what the costs would be, too. I think as -- abortion disproportionately occur among single women? No.

CALLER: I don't know the exact statistics, but quite a bit are, yeah.

BENNETT: All right, well, I mean, I just don't know. I would not argue for the pro-life position based on this, because you don't know. I mean, it cuts both -- you know, one of the arguments in this book Freakonomics that they make is that the declining crime rate, you know, they deal with this hypothesis, that one of the reasons crime is down is that abortion is up. Well --

CALLER: Well, I don't think that statistic is accurate.

BENNETT: Well, I don't think it is either, I don't think it is either, because first of all, there is just too much that you don't know. But I do know that it's true that if you wanted to reduce crime, you could -- if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down. That would be an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible thing to do, but your crime rate would go down. So these far-out, these far-reaching, extensive extrapolations are, I think, tricky.

tatodotcom
10-02-2005, 04:16 PM
now im not racist at all so dont take this wrong.....but the crime rate would go down...i know that he shouldnt of said that but he is right...if u aborted every white, black or w/e color baby crime rate would go down....

quickdodgeŽ
10-02-2005, 04:18 PM
...if u aborted every white, black or w/e color baby crime rate would go down....

But he made no mention of any color baby except for black. He's still a fuck-up. Later, QD.

HEATON
10-02-2005, 05:24 PM
If this is exactly what he said, then i believe he was taken the wrong way..

Look at it.

Well, I don't think it is either, I don't think it is either, because first of all, there is just too much that you don't know. But I do know that it's truethat if you wanted to reduce crime, you could -- if that were your sole purpose, you could abort every black baby in this country, and your crime rate would go down.

-It is true.. (the first 3#s are Victims, the second set is Offenders. In order of White, blacks, Others.) For Actual Page with Charts (http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/race.htm)

Homicide Type by Race, 1976-2002
Victims Offenders
White Black Other White Black Other
All homicides 51.1% 46.8% 2.1% 45.9% 52.1% 2.0%
Victim/offender relationship
Intimate 56.2% 41.7% 2.2% 54.0% 43.9% 2.1%
Family 60.2% 37.4% 2.3% 58.8% 38.9% 2.2%
Infanticide 55.6% 41.9% 2.5% 55.0% 42.5% 2.5%
Eldercide 68.9% 29.6% 1.5% 53.9% 44.6% 1.6%
Circumstances
Felony murder 55.0% 42.4% 2.5% 39.2% 59.2% 1.6%
Sex related 67.1% 30.5% 2.4% 55.2% 42.9% 1.9%
Drug related 37.0% 62.1% .9% 33.5% 65.5% 1.1%
Gang related 57.9% 38.7% 3.4% 54.3% 41.5% 4.2%
Argument 48.3% 49.7% 2.0% 46.5% 51.4% 2.1%
Workplace 85.2% 11.6% 3.2% 69.7% 27.3% 3.0%
Weapon
Gun homicide 47.6% 50.6% 1.8% 42.3% 56.0% 1.7%
Arson 59.3% 37.8% 2.9% 55.5% 42.3% 2.2%
Poison 80.6% 17.1% 2.4% 78.8% 19.3% 1.9%
Multiple victims or offenders
Multiple victims 64.1% 32.5% 3.3% 56.6% 40.1% 3.3%
Multiple offenders 55.3% 42.0% 2.7% 45.0% 52.6% 2.3%

That would be an impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible thing to do,

-He isnt saying its the RIGHT thing to do, nor is he saying thats what we SHOULD do. He was stating a fact.

BUT THEN AGAIN, Yes its true, for any race, if you abort all the children then no will be alive to commit the crimes. His statement was based on who has the highest crime rate.

b18hb
10-02-2005, 09:16 PM
but, the media won't tell you anything like that^ definitely a good illustration of how easily the media can manipulate the american public. the funny thing is that even though it is an accurate statement and the statistics are right in front of them, people would still be offended, despite the truth in the statement.

quickdodgeŽ
10-02-2005, 09:27 PM
So. THere are some things you don't just shout out to the public. Later, QD.

b18hb
10-03-2005, 02:23 AM
his postition has been misrepresented to the public. of course you don't say something like that outright, however in the context he used it and in its full form, used in order to make a point about how rediculous a concept is, i don't think there was anything wrong with saying what he said. i do, however, think it is wrong to take a statement like that, and twist it around in order to stir up more turmoil in a nation that needs to be more united in its state of recovery.

punkr6
10-03-2005, 03:12 AM
save the world kill yourself........oh yea john rocker for president.hehe

JITB
10-03-2005, 03:44 AM
now if kanye West would have said

"we could save alot of abortion clinics and crazy maniac serial killers if we abort allt he white babies"

it would be a problem. When your ina position like that point or no point u have to wathc what you say...cnat just say stuff like that and expect it to just fly by..

punkr6
10-03-2005, 03:48 AM
that has to be the worst spelling i've ever seen

JITB
10-03-2005, 03:52 AM
*says the guy with the screenname "punkr"*

just spacing errors...and bad timing...

quickdodgeŽ
10-03-2005, 04:16 AM
*says the guy with the screenname "punkr"*

just spacing errors...and bad timing...

Don't sweat him, dude. He has the worst case of common sense ever. Later, QD.

HEATON
10-03-2005, 05:53 AM
now if kanye West would have said

"we could save alot of abortion clinics and crazy maniac serial killers if we abort allt he white babies"

it would be a problem. When your ina position like that point or no point u have to wathc what you say...cnat just say stuff like that and expect it to just fly by..

Why does someone's position, lessen their Freedom of Speech? I know it happens, but why treat it as right.

tony
10-03-2005, 08:25 AM
Why does someone's position, lessen their Freedom of Speech? I know it happens, but why treat it as right.

It doesnt lessen their freedom of speech but they are in the publics eye and more likely to be criticized for what they say, personally I just dont think its something that should have been said.. the logic behind his decision to make the statement isnt there. In other words I just see him as an idiot more than anything else.. at least for bringing that up.

quickdodgeŽ
10-03-2005, 08:29 AM
I just see him as an idiot more than anything else.. at least for bringing that up.

Agreed. Later, QD.

ahmonrah
10-03-2005, 09:47 AM
So. THere are some things you don't just shout out to the public. Later, QD.no he and others with fucked up views need to shout it out. i'd rather them expose themselves so that we know who they are than them stay hiding and get into positions where they can fuck people through laws and bills and we never have a chance to deal with them.

quickdodgeŽ
10-03-2005, 09:48 AM
Ooooooooohh. Very true. Real speak. Later, QD.

JITB
10-03-2005, 10:17 AM

it aint nothin new, in school we dont have freedom of speech. People preach about freedom of Speech when it about something that doesnt affect them, but as soon as Micheal Moore releases a book or something....freedom of speech is wrong and has his limits...the bridge goes both ways. And when your in a government position, why say somehting stupid like that. Would u have said that?

ahmonrah
10-03-2005, 10:34 AM
that statement, as hypothetical as people try to make it was a reflecton of how many people feel when it comes to others of a different race. i figure if your in a position such as his, your supposed to be working for the benefit of all people, regardless of race, so forth and so on. but we all know that isnt true, it was a very stupid thing to say but him saying it helps others to understand how fucked up his thinking on others is, and why he sholdnt be where he is. it's not good for everyone who heis supposed to represent.

quickdodgeŽ
10-03-2005, 10:37 AM
It also makes you wonder what the other politicians views on race really are. Later, QD.

ahmonrah
10-03-2005, 11:32 AM
exactly ......

HEATON
10-03-2005, 01:06 PM
He didnt say it, to make it hopefully happen. He even said how stupid and immoral of doing the actual act was. Thats like saying in order to prevent Jihad Johnny attack again, go back in time and kill Allah before he became a religious leader.. ONCE AGAIN the statements as proven by the speaker are no way possible and immoral, and the speaker acknowledge that the statement is far fetched and wrong.

4dmin
10-03-2005, 02:43 PM
bahhh what a fucking tool... who in their right mind would use that as an example when you are in politics??? hello i guess he doesn't care for the black vote :lmao:

b18hb
10-03-2005, 10:29 PM
^ the US Secretary for Education is appointed by the president and the decision is approved by the Senate. also, he's already served his term, under the presidency of Ronald Reagan. Margaret Spellings(ironically) is the current Secretary for Education.

Again, this guy's statement has been manipulated into making him appear to be a racist, where his comments were simply to counter a pro-abortion arguement related to social security.

He released a statement about it.

Bennett later issued a statement to clarify his position:

"On Wednesday, a caller to my radio show proposed the idea that one good argument for the pro-life position would be that if we didn't have abortions, Social Security would be solvent. I stated my doubts about such a thesis, as well as my opposition to such a form of argument (the audio of the call is available at my Website: bennettmornings.com).

"I then stated that such extrapolations of this argument can cut both ways, and cited the current bestseller, Freakonomics, which discusses the authors' thesis that abortion reduces crime.

"Then, putting my philosophy professor's hat on, I went on to reveal the limitations of such arguments by showing the absurdity in another such argument, along the same lines. I entertained what law school professors call 'the Socratic method' and what I would hope good social science professors still use in their seminars. In so doing, I suggested a hypothetical analogy while at the same time saying the proposition I was using about blacks and abortion was 'impossible, ridiculous, and morally reprehensible,' just to ensure those who would have any doubt about what they were hearing, or for those who tuned in to the middle of the conversation.

"The issues of crime and race have been on many people's minds, and tongues, for the past month or so--in light of the situation in New Orleans; and the issues of race, crime, and abortion are well aired and ventilated in articles, the academy, the think tank community, and public policy. Indeed the whole issue of crime and race is not new in social science, nor popular literature. One of the authors of Freakonomics, himself, had an extended exchange on the discussion of these issues on the Internet some years back--which was also much debated in the think tank community in Washington.

"A thought experiment about public policy, on national radio, should not have received the condemnations it has. Anyone paying attention to this debate should be offended by those who have selectively quoted me, distorted my meaning, and taken out of context the dialogue I engaged in this week. Such distortions from 'leaders' of organizations and parties is a disgrace not only to the organizations and institutions they serve, but to the First Amendment. [3]

I do not think he was out of line in making those comments, and i think its unfortunate that he is being criticized about his choice of words, due to political correctness, and that there is absolutely no focus on the substance behind the comment.

JITB
10-04-2005, 05:11 AM
When u look at percentages, with minorites and manorities. You forget about the numbers. The % may be higher, but the Numbers on the manority isnt. Like the percentage of minorities is higher on welfare, but manorities numbers are higher. Its people that are crazy...and doo dumb shit not a race. Thats the problem....correct the people not a race. Cant say there are more crazy blacks - mexicans etc than whites..thats idiotic, we all know for every crazy person there is another in a different race to equal. And it has nothin to do wiht race, its all in the head of the person how theywere brought up and raised. We all know this...soo why doesnt this fool not know this?

it seems society is goin backwards really slowly....we were all together after 9/11 now all of a sudden its slowly turning into race all the time,a nd everyoen being classified as whatever its silly. Its more than a coincidence..

BTW, crime has been a problem in New Orleans forever, its just now getting spotlight now since katrina. WE all knew NO was the murder capital of the world...soo where was all these plans and idiotic thesis's 10-15 years ago? Wait until it gets out and than make it a big deal.

Jaimecbr900
10-04-2005, 09:40 AM
When u look at percentages, with minorites and manorities. You forget about the numbers. The % may be higher, but the Numbers on the manority isnt. Like the percentage of minorities is higher on welfare, but manorities numbers are higher. Its people that are crazy...and doo dumb shit not a race. Thats the problem....correct the people not a race. Cant say there are more crazy blacks - mexicans etc than whites..thats idiotic, we all know for every crazy person there is another in a different race to equal. And it has nothin to do wiht race, its all in the head of the person how theywere brought up and raised. We all know this...soo why doesnt this fool not know this?

it seems society is goin backwards really slowly....we were all together after 9/11 now all of a sudden its slowly turning into race all the time,a nd everyoen being classified as whatever its silly. Its more than a coincidence..

BTW, crime has been a problem in New Orleans forever, its just now getting spotlight now since katrina. WE all knew NO was the murder capital of the world...soo where was all these plans and idiotic thesis's 10-15 years ago? Wait until it gets out and than make it a big deal.

#1 What is a "manorities"? What do you mean by that? It's hard to follow your post w/o knowing what that is.

#2 What are you trying to say about "numbers"? I don't follow that either. If you really thought about it, taking out ANY segment (Black, White, Green, Blue, Purple) OUT of anything would ALWAYS decrease the "crime rate".....it's obvious isn't it? There are White people and Green people and Brown people and Purple people in jail, right? So therefore, take out ANY one of those totally out.....you will technically "reduce" the crime rate too, huh? So what's the big deal about his analogy if technically it was right?

#3 It was clearly an ANALOGY. He even said himself it would be ridiculous and not real. Why the big uproar about it?

#4 This had nothing to do with New Orleans. Why are people making it out to be? He commented about it in rebuttal to someone else's ridiculous assumption. It had nothing to do with New Orleans.

#5 Even if this was about New Orleans, and it isn't, you are not making a very good argument for your point of view. By your own admission, New Orleans is the "capital of murder", right? It is also common knowledge that New Orleans is overwhelmingly composed by the Black community, right? So therefore, even by your own admission, what's that say about the New Orleans "black" community????? Not too good, eh?

Personally, this is just another example of political correctness over running common sense. This was never about black vs white. This was never about New Orleans. This was simply a person rebutting an absurd statement with another just as absurd statement. Then all of a sudden people quoted out of context to suit their own agenda and VOILA!!.....instant controversy.

HEATON
10-04-2005, 10:48 AM
Manorities?? Hahahahah Sorry but, thats jus too dayum funny!!

Ok jus thought of this, and its shows how absurd (sp?) taken what he said as his real feelings. Usin what you said out of context like everyone is oding to him, a female will have read what you wrote and thought you were a ''Male pig" who didnt care bout womens right bc you used the word MANority, saying the men are majority and the best.. See how idiotic it is to get ya panties tangled over 'one line' out of a whole conversation and make it someones "press box"?

JITB
10-04-2005, 01:13 PM
#1 What is a "manorities"? What do you mean by that? It's hard to follow your post w/o knowing what that is.

#2 What are you trying to say about "numbers"? I don't follow that either. If you really thought about it, taking out ANY segment (Black, White, Green, Blue, Purple) OUT of anything would ALWAYS decrease the "crime rate".....it's obvious isn't it? There are White people and Green people and Brown people and Purple people in jail, right? So therefore, take out ANY one of those totally out.....you will technically "reduce" the crime rate too, huh? So what's the big deal about his analogy if technically it was right?

#3 It was clearly an ANALOGY. He even said himself it would be ridiculous and not real. Why the big uproar about it?

#4 This had nothing to do with New Orleans. Why are people making it out to be? He commented about it in rebuttal to someone else's ridiculous assumption. It had nothing to do with New Orleans.

#5 Even if this was about New Orleans, and it isn't, you are not making a very good argument for your point of view. By your own admission, New Orleans is the "capital of murder", right? It is also common knowledge that New Orleans is overwhelmingly composed by the Black community, right? So therefore, even by your own admission, what's that say about the New Orleans "black" community????? Not too good, eh?

Personally, this is just another example of political correctness over running common sense. This was never about black vs white. This was never about New Orleans. This was simply a person rebutting an absurd statement with another just as absurd statement. Then all of a sudden people quoted out of context to suit their own agenda and VOILA!!.....instant controversy.

oops i seem to have made up a word.. . It was 6am excuse that. but ui meant majority. He used NO as a example and so was I. NO is just one city, and like i said before. it didnt matter until all the trouble down there came up. And after all this goes away it wont matter anymore again.

"#2 What are you trying to say about "numbers"? I don't follow that either. If you really thought about it, taking out ANY segment (Black, White, Green, Blue, Purple) OUT of anything would ALWAYS decrease the "crime rate".....it's obvious isn't it? There are White people and Green people and Brown people and Purple people in jail, right? So therefore, take out ANY one of those totally out.....you will technically "reduce" the crime rate too, huh? So what's the big deal about his analogy if technically it was right?"

well than thats too bad he didnt say that...he said "black babies" and tahts what the world heard. And thats what nobody liked.

I dont pick sides in political discussions and uproars like this , i just observe and try and see from both sides. Im no angry blackman tryin to take down the MAN. Truthfully i could care less abou what goes on politically, its bad but i really dont. but how people think about certain things make my skin crawl. Ragardless who said it , if Jesse jackson would have said something like that towards another race it owld have wnt the same way. Soo its no suprise. Hes apparently not the smartest guy, especially if he likes his job cuz hes basically shot himself in the foot. Simple think before u speak, if u have to defend yourself for saying something when your in the publics eyes, you souldnt haev said it.

b18hb
10-04-2005, 05:57 PM
^ he's clarifying his statement because his words have been manipulated. i, for one, would not like being called a racist for making a comment that has very little to do with race and pertains much more to the subject of abortion.

i do agree with you about the steady decline of society. again, i think we have the media to thank for that. they certainly have a way of tearing apart national unity, especially when we need it most.

MSTANGSALEEN
10-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Saw the movie crash last night..Racist but also a good movie

quickdodgeŽ
10-06-2005, 04:48 PM
^^^ Shut the fuck up, moron. Later, QD.

MSTANGSALEEN
10-06-2005, 05:30 PM
Come on over and make me bitch

quickdodgeŽ
10-06-2005, 06:11 PM
Why don't you input something that has worth to the topic? Later, QD.