PDA

View Full Version : Outdoors Found out today.

eraser4g63
05-23-2009, 04:41 PM
So after being told by multiple people (PO, Attorney, PD officer) that I would have no problem getting a GFL. I found out today that I will in fact not be able to get a GFL because I am apparently banned for life. WTF I plead out First offenders under the understanding that this would not affect me in 5 years after I successfully finished my probation. Now I come to find out that there is no way to get relief from this clause even if I pay out the ass for an attorney. The only way I might be able to get out from under this bullshit is if HB615 if I am reading it correctly.

This is the line the fucks me.
Any person who has been convicted* of an offense arising out of the unlawful manufacture, distribution, possession, or use of a controlled substance or other dangerous drug.
* 'Convicted' means a plea of guilty, a finding of guilt by a court of competent jurisdiction, the acceptance of a plea of nolo contendere, or the affording of first offender treatment by a court of competent jurisdiction irrespective of the pendency or availability of an appeal or an application for collateral relief.

Danny
05-23-2009, 07:50 PM
ya man, hb615 should have you covered. Sorry to hear about that. It sucks that a mistake as a child haunts you forever (no violent felony).

eraser4g63
05-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Nope, it was possession of marijuana, and manufacture of marijuana, I had 3 plants and all were under 3 inches tall. The latter of the two is a felony, is there any news on that HB615 or has it stalled out?

Danny
05-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Nope, it was possession of marijuana, and manufacture of marijuana, I had 3 plants and all were under 3 inches tall. The latter of the two is a felony, is there any news on that HB615 or has it stalled out?

GCO hasnt released any major updates the last couple months that i have seen. I hope its still gaining momentum.

81911SC
05-23-2009, 08:40 PM
You should have known that wouldn't help your case.

eraser4g63
05-23-2009, 08:46 PM
You should have known that wouldn't help your case.
I don't get what you mean, can you rephrase?

BanginJimmy
05-26-2009, 10:26 AM
I dont mean to be an asshole, but I hope that the manufacture of a controlled substance remains a lifetime ban, no matter what new legislation is passed. Notice that there is no difference in the manufacture of weed, or the manufacture of meth. Eliminating that provision in the law would allow someone who was caught manufacturing meth to legally buy and carry a concealed weapon.

eraser4g63
05-26-2009, 01:00 PM
If they completed first offenders status and remianed clean i personaly dont see a problem with it.

BanginJimmy
05-26-2009, 06:30 PM
first offender just means the first time they got caught. I'm sorry, but the manufacture of drugs shouldnt even be eligible for first offender and should result in jail time.

koukis14
05-26-2009, 08:37 PM
first offender just means the first time they got caught. I'm sorry, but the manufacture of drugs shouldnt even be eligible for first offender and should result in jail time.

Eeh I don't agree with selling or making drugs resulting in jail time or being a felony or preventing someone who has gone a certain ammount of time without breaking the law from exercising their constitutional rights. If someone makes a mistake and the justice system does their job and they never break the law again then why should this person go the rest of their life without being trusted?

eraser4g63
05-27-2009, 06:48 AM
First offenders is only given if the crime is non violent. The actual percentage of people who can finish first offenders with out violation is some where in the neighborhood of 3-5%. Less than 70% make it through the first year. I personally see this as a second chance and the fact that I have not only paid approx $4500 in fines spent 365 hour in community service and on top of all of that I have been on probation for just under 5 years is penitence enough. If you violate your probation on first offenders the judge normally sentences you to max for all the crimes that got you there in the first place then on top of all that you get a hefty amount of time for the crime you have committed. I don't think that every one should be allowed to get a GFL if they were on first offenders I think they should be taken on a case by case basis. what really pisses me off about all this is the fact that not only can I not get my GFL but now I cannot continue on with my SWAT medic training because of it.

Danny
05-27-2009, 07:13 AM
First offenders is only given if the crime is non violent. The actual percentage of people who can finish first offenders with out violation is some where in the neighborhood of 3-5%. Less than 70% make it through the first year. I personally see this as a second chance and the fact that I have not only paid approx $4500 in fines spent 365 hour in community service and on top of all of that I have been on probation for just under 5 years is penitence enough. If you violate your probation on first offenders the judge normally sentences you to max for all the crimes that got you there in the first place then on top of all that you get a hefty amount of time for the crime you have committed. I don't think that every one should be allowed to get a GFL if they were on first offenders I think they should be taken on a case by case basis. what really pisses me off about all this is the fact that not only can I not get my GFL but now I cannot continue on with my SWAT medic training because of it.

Can you not continue with medic training because of priors, or because you are not eligible for a GFL?

BanginJimmy
05-27-2009, 07:16 AM
Can you not continue with medic training because of priors, or because you are not eligible for a GFL?

Not eligible to be a cop or work for the police dept because of a felony record.

BanginJimmy
05-27-2009, 07:21 AM
Eeh I don't agree with selling or making drugs resulting in jail time or being a felony or preventing someone who has gone a certain ammount of time without breaking the law from exercising their constitutional rights. If someone makes a mistake and the justice system does their job and they never break the law again then why should this person go the rest of their life without being trusted?

So you dont agree with someone manufacturing crack or meth resulting in jail time? This has to be a joke.

Dont give me the "its only weed" defense either. It doesnt matter how you or I feel about it, it is still illegal.

People make mistakes all the time and are allowed to move on with their life. No one is preventing him from exercising his constitutional rights, he gave up that right when he decided to manufacture drugs. Just like any other felon gives up his right to freedom when he is convicted and sent to jail.

BanginJimmy
05-27-2009, 07:22 AM

That is all fine and good, but I fail to see how this is anyone's fault but your own.

koukis14
05-27-2009, 11:24 AM
So you dont agree with someone manufacturing crack or meth resulting in jail time? This has to be a joke.

No I don't. No it is not a joke. I think all drugs should be legal. If you OD and die, that is one less person on welfare/in prison/in a government run rehab facility that my taxes are paying for. If one of my loved ones were to get addicted to a drug I would have no problem paying out of my pocket to get them help.

eraser4g63
05-27-2009, 04:41 PM
No I am not gonna give you its only weed defense, but what i am going to say is that it was almost 5 years ago and it is the first and only time I have been in trouble with the law. I feel that if you are allowed to plead out first offenders and are able to complete the program including all the N.A. and therapy the courts require then what is the problem. Basically it is like saying you have been caught speeding, you will never ever be allowed to drive again. The reason i can continue with my Tactical medic training is I am now disqualified due a first offenders plea. I cannot be Post certified. What I don't understand is the fact that I can go out and buy a gun all day long but I can not get a GFL.

BanginJimmy
05-27-2009, 07:06 PM
No I don't. No it is not a joke. I think all drugs should be legal. If you OD and die, that is one less person on welfare/in prison/in a government run rehab facility that my taxes are paying for. If one of my loved ones were to get addicted to a drug I would have no problem paying out of my pocket to get them help.

This is probably the dumbest thing I have ever heard. You completely discount the fact that drugs are a factor in a HUGE percentage of crimes. Whether it be burglary to get money for drugs or murder to get rid of a rival dealer drugs are the underlying cause. If drugs were legal, you MIGHT reduce the number of deaths among dealers, but the number of burglaries and assaults by addicts would go through the roof.

BanginJimmy
05-27-2009, 07:23 PM
No I am not gonna give you its only weed defense, but what i am going to say is that it was almost 5 years ago and it is the first and only time I have been in trouble with the law. I feel that if you are allowed to plead out first offenders and are able to complete the program including all the N.A. and therapy the courts require then what is the problem. Basically it is like saying you have been caught speeding, you will never ever be allowed to drive again. The reason i can continue with my Tactical medic training is I am now disqualified due a first offenders plea. I cannot be Post certified. What I don't understand is the fact that I can go out and buy a gun all day long but I can not get a GFL.

I get the fact that you cleaned up, but thats no longer the point. You did the crime, now you have to live with the consequences. I dont care about first offender status either. That is no different than completing a 5 year prison sentence then complaining that you cannot carry a concealed weapon. It still comes back to the fact that you did the crime, now you have to live with it.

Lucky for me, speeding tickets are a very minor thing, and I wasnt manufacturing drugs huh. I get to keep my drivers license and my carry license.

koukis14
05-27-2009, 10:17 PM
This is probably the dumbest thing I have ever heard. You completely discount the fact that drugs are a factor in a HUGE percentage of crimes. Whether it be burglary to get money for drugs or murder to get rid of a rival dealer drugs are the underlying cause. If drugs were legal, you MIGHT reduce the number of deaths among dealers, but the number of burglaries and assaults by addicts would go through the roof.

Well atleast I'm not try to prove someones opinion wrong like a douche bag.

DaX
05-28-2009, 07:14 AM
I get the fact that you cleaned up, but thats no longer the point. You did the crime, now you have to live with the consequences. I dont care about first offender status either. That is no different than completing a 5 year prison sentence then complaining that you cannot carry a concealed weapon. It still comes back to the fact that you did the crime, now you have to live with it.

As much as it sucks, I have to say I agree with this. I understand you are remorseful for what you did, and many people get away with it while you got caught - it doesn't seem fair. But you broke the law and were caught doing so, and the consequences had been spelled out.

white24d
05-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Pot should not be grouped with other drugs. No one ever has died from getting high. It's medicinal values in progressive state's are being enjoyed legally.
Dude buy some guns and do your thing. I think you should get the permit but if you cant then just live without it. Maybe one day the War on Drugs will not include Pot. Cause it never should have

BanginJimmy
05-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Pot should not be grouped with other drugs. No one ever has died from getting high. It's medicinal values in progressive state's are being enjoyed legally.
Dude buy some guns and do your thing. I think you should get the permit but if you cant then just live without it. Maybe one day the War on Drugs will not include Pot. Cause it never should have

This excuse means absolutely nothing. It is illegal now and has been since long before he committed his crime. Whether or not you agree with it being a crime has nothing to do with this discussion.

Eraser, if you can still purchase a firearm then you can still purchase a firearm. You just cannot carry it concealed.

Being able to own a firearm is a constitutional right unless you have chosen to give up that right. Carrying one concealed is not a right, it is a privilege.

BanginJimmy
05-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Well atleast I'm not try to prove someones opinion wrong like a douche bag.

An idiotic idea is still an idiotic idea, no matter whose opinion it is.

white24d
05-28-2009, 01:04 PM
This excuse means absolutely nothing. It is illegal now and has been since long before he committed his crime. Whether or not you agree with it being a crime has nothing to do with this discussion.

Eraser, if you can still purchase a firearm then you can still purchase a firearm. You just cannot carry it concealed.

Being able to own a firearm is a constitutional right unless you have chosen to give up that right. Carrying one concealed is not a right, it is a privilege.

Excuse???
Your an ass. I was just voicing my opinion not making any excuses. It is a crime we know this. What I was saying is that maybe in the future, pot will not be considered one of the "Drugs", because it should not be.
:police:
d bag

BanginJimmy
05-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Excuse???
Your an ass. I was just voicing my opinion not making any excuses. It is a crime we know this. What I was saying is that maybe in the future, pot will not be considered one of the "Drugs", because it should not be.
:police:
d bag

Yes, excuse.

ex⋅cuse
  /v. ɪkˈskyuz; n. ɪkˈskyus/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [v. ik-skyooz; n. ik-skyoos] Show IPA verb, -cused, -cus⋅ing, noun
–verb (used with object)
1. to regard or judge with forgiveness or indulgence; pardon or forgive; overlook (a fault, error, etc.): Excuse his bad manners.
2. to offer an apology for; seek to remove the blame of: He excused his absence by saying that he was ill.
3. to serve as an apology or justification for; justify: Ignorance of the law excuses no one.
4. to release from an obligation or duty: to be excused from jury duty.
5. to seek or obtain exemption or release for (oneself): to excuse oneself from a meeting.
6. to refrain from exacting; remit; dispense with: to excuse a debt.
7. to allow (someone) to leave: If you'll excuse me, I have to make a telephone call.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/excuse

Definitions 1 and 3 fit particularly well.

BanginJimmy
05-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Something I want to make clear real quick.

Eraser, I have nothing personal against you. I know we all make mistakes in life and that a 1 time thing should not define who we are or who we are perceived to be. I am simply saying that the crime you committed does not lend itself to carrying a concealed firearm. Drug offenses as a whole have a very high recitivism rate, that leads me to believe they should carry more lasting penalties than other crimes do.

white24d
05-28-2009, 02:44 PM
your wrong again sweetheart.

Its against the law- yes
we know this. I was talking about Drugs in general. Where in that post was an excuse?
Anyway damn I feel sorry for your wife and kids if you have them. Stubborn Ass

BanginJimmy
05-28-2009, 03:07 PM
your wrong again sweetheart.

Its against the law- yes
we know this. I was talking about Drugs in general. Where in that post was an excuse?
Anyway damn I feel sorry for your wife and kids if you have them. Stubborn Ass

I'm not wrong about anything in this thread.

You can feel sorry if you want, but I have a feeling its more like envy.

koukis14
05-28-2009, 05:03 PM
An idiotic idea is still an idiotic idea, no matter whose opinion it is.
Well that is your opinion and I'm not going to argue it because that would be a waste of time. My opinion is that you are still a douche bag.....and a fuckin huge one at that.

BanginJimmy
05-28-2009, 05:36 PM
Well that is your opinion and I'm not going to argue it because that would be a waste of time. My opinion is that you are still a douche bag.....and a fuckin huge one at that.

It is obvious you have never been in the real world, have no kids, and no goals in life. If you have any of these you wouldnt want drugs anywhere near you or your family. Are you really so stupid to think that the only people affected by drug users are the users?

illicit drug users were also about 16 times more likely than nonusers to report being arrested and booked for larceny or theft; more than 14 times more likely to be arrested and booked for such offenses as driving under the influence, drunkenness, or liquor law violations; and more than 9 times more likely to be arrested and booked on an assault charge

http://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/publications/factsht/crime/index.html#table1

BanginJimmy
05-28-2009, 05:42 PM
double post

koukis14
05-28-2009, 07:31 PM
It is obvious you have never been in the real world, have no kids, and no goals in life. If you have any of these you wouldnt want drugs anywhere near you or your family. Are you really so stupid to think that the only people affected by drug users are the users?

It is obvious your an insecure know it all that likes to talk shit. I have goals, a great job, and a step daughter. I know people rob, murder, steal, ect.... to get a fix but if it is legal the market would flood with product causing prices to come way down making it easier for everyone to get. I agree with some of your views but I like arguing with you because you’re a pompous cock bag that probably jerks off in a mirror.

BanginJimmy
05-28-2009, 07:53 PM
It is obvious your an insecure know it all that likes to talk shit. I have goals, a great job, and a step daughter. I know people rob, murder, steal, ect.... to get a fix but if it is legal the market would flood with product causing prices to come way down making it easier for everyone to get. I agree with some of your views but I like arguing with you because you’re a pompous cock bag that probably jerks off in a mirror.

So you think that flooding the market with drugs will make less people rob and steal to get it? You have to be kidding. Reality will hit you at some point. Making narcotics legal will remove the taboo of it. That will lead to more people becoming addicted. No matter what price point you set for these drugs, a heroin addict is not capable of holding down a job. At this point, the larger numbers of addicts with no job will still need their fix. How will they get it? Thats right, out of your pocket while they point a gun at your face. And with your thinking, that gun would be legally concealable.

I truely do feel sorry for your step daughter. She has a step father that completely ignores reality. Tell me, are you going to buy your step daughter her first heroin fix?

koukis14
05-28-2009, 09:08 PM
I truely do feel sorry for your step daughter. She has a step father that completely ignores reality. Tell me, are you going to buy your step daughter her first heroin fix?

You don't have to feel sorry for her, she will be fine. I expect her to use her own money to buy her first heroin fix. With any luck she will get her first job as a prostitute by the age of 14 so she can stop sucking on the mom and dad teat. Only 9 years to go. I feel bad for you, it must be torture knowing everything about everyone, even people you have never met. I can't believe your head has not exploded yet. Do you know winning lottery numbers too?

eraser4g63
05-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Something I want to make clear real quick.

Eraser, I have nothing personal against you. I know we all make mistakes in life and that a 1 time thing should not define who we are or who we are perceived to be. I am simply saying that the crime you committed does not lend itself to carrying a concealed firearm. Drug offenses as a whole have a very high recitivism rate, that leads me to believe they should carry more lasting penalties than other crimes do.

No hard feelings man, for the most part we believe in a lot of the same values and political ideals. I know I fucked up way back when but personally I think these cases should be handled on a case by case basis. I know/stated there are a lot of people who right back to using after they plead out, and I have seen it time and time again being a paramedic.

tippatone
05-29-2009, 03:07 PM
I agree that hard drugs can cause a problem in our communities, but I have never heard a turf war over weed. With that said, I believe a person should be able to obtain a firearm as long as they are not convicted of a crime involving one.