PDA

View Full Version : pulling old alarm, and installing new?

changaroo
05-23-2009, 08:51 AM
how much of a bitch would this be?

i have a pre-existing alarm with shock sensors / radar / etc, but i want to pull it to install a newer system.

since i didnt install the previous alarm, i'm not entirely sure how everything is wired up, i know where all the relays and everything are, but i just dont know how big of a task this is.

maybe i should take it to a shop? :thinking:

DynamicSound
05-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Personally, unless you do alarms installation all day and know them like the back of your hand...they are a pain in the ass. Spending 2+ hours under a dash is a headache. So I would recommend taking it to someone if you willing to pay the price.

My installer has the best prices if you do not already have one in mind. Give him a call to see how much it would be to swop the alarms. Xclusive Car Tunes...Manny...678-886-9492

flak_monkey
05-23-2009, 05:12 PM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. NO NO NO. Do not do this. No installer in their right mind will touch the car when (not if, WHEN) you fuck it up trying to swap an alarm yourself. I hate getting people in my install bay that think they could "do it themselves." I delight in charging them tons extra for all the added aggravation that they cause. Today I had somebody who said he could install a radio cut the wiring harness with scissors and short out his body control module.

DynamicSound
05-23-2009, 06:46 PM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. NO NO NO. Do not do this. No installer in their right mind will touch the car when (not if, WHEN) you fuck it up trying to swap an alarm yourself. I hate getting people in my install bay that think they could "do it themselves." I delight in charging them tons extra for all the added aggravation that they cause. Today I had somebody who said he could install a radio cut the wiring harness with scissors and short out his body control module.

Usually when people come in with a cutoff harness...I just get the factory harness. All the colors match so it is easy to put i back to stock and then do a normal installation.

redgst97
05-23-2009, 08:33 PM
I think the point was that they shorted out the BCM....not that they cut the harness.

DynamicSound
05-23-2009, 08:35 PM
I think the point was that they shorted out the BCM....not that they cut the harness.

Really...:rolleyes: It doesn't take any time to replace a BCM.

redgst97
05-24-2009, 09:14 AM
However, relatively speaking, it could be considerably more expensive than replacing a harness.

DynamicSound
05-24-2009, 09:33 AM
However, relatively speaking, it could be considerably more expensive than replacing a harness.

Yes, much more expensive.

big99miketma
05-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Aren't you supposed to be on vacation??????

Yes, and all of that was caused from attempting to install a radio, not removing and reinstalling an alarm.

changaroo
05-24-2009, 12:00 PM

:thinking:

how did this go from alarms to radios?