PDA

View Full Version : Anyone taken the motorcycle license test recently?

mushroom_toy
05-22-2009, 11:21 PM
Had my permit for a little over a year now, and finally gonna go get my license. Just wondering if anyone has taken the test recently and what I should expect. Don't know if it makes any difference but Ill be taking it in Cumming.

So far I'm expecting slow and fast stops, swerving, and tight turns, anything else? I think most people said they use a light tree?

Hondatwin23
05-23-2009, 12:29 PM
i took it earlier this month
swerve thru cones
ride and make U turn then stop
Pull off make right turn then left then stop
pull to 15 mph then stop suddenly

i believe that is all, it takes about 10 mins.

Tech5
05-23-2009, 01:15 PM
every DMV DDS locations are different then the others. best thing to do is on a off day go up there just to watch others take the test, then take that knowledge and make your test like theres in a parking lot and practice. or take a MSF course which I highly suggest

mushroom_toy
05-23-2009, 01:18 PM
^Only problem with that is the location is 40 mins away from me.
And after all the facts the safety course is way too expensive.

Tech5
05-23-2009, 02:07 PM

How much do you think your life is worth? I mean 275 bucks will teach you things that can save your life an others. Trust me you will learn more in a MSF course that is well worth the 275 bucks!

If the things you learn there for 275 that could save your life then is it worth it or not>

Sorry I think my life is well worth more then 275...Brings it back to the helmet when your buying a helmet is your head/life worth 80 bucks for a lid, or 500 to protect you an help save your life ?

Hondatwin23
05-24-2009, 01:24 AM
Oh boi, people who have taken the course has also died. He doesn't have the cash and he has another option that he can use. Yesssh

mushroom_toy
05-24-2009, 05:16 AM
No cash for it and dont have 3 days off from work for it. FYI it is $350. Anyway close friend of mine has been riding about 4 months less time than I have, took the course and he knew everything he was "taught" They have already asked him to come back and be an instructor. Im a very safe rider and anyone can get hurt or killed in an accident. Not saying I know everything but I am very safe and aware. I dont fuck around on motorcycles, dont pop wheelies, dont drive fast, etc. I have seen quite a few motorcycle accidents on 985, including quite a few bodies laying under sheets, and dont want to be part of the statistics.Im sure I will be fine. Gonna call on Tuesday and hopefully set up an appointment.

Tech5 you keep talking about being safe and saving lives. Racing bikes on the street is very safe. :goodjob:

Tarzanman
05-24-2009, 08:38 AM

40 minutes is a long drive for just a driving test. I agree that the safety course isn't exactly cheap, but if you don't have a responsible, knowledgeable rider to teach you things that you don't know, then you are putting yourself at risk for learning some things the hard way. I'd seriously consider it.

I tried to get in on a class, but it was booked solid. I never went back, but my roommate (who had been riding for 20+ years) agreed to teach me. I did my first 500 or so miles riding with him. I also researched motorcycle riding techniques like a mad-man (internet forums, books, talking with other riders).

I ended up taking the road test and bypassing MSF altogether. Having ridden for a couple of years now, there are a few drills in MSF that might have helped prepare me a teeny bit better for situations on the road (like my first real panic stop where I locked the rear and it started to shimmy on me).

I can understand your reluctance to take the test after a year on the road. You won't get as much out of it as the newbies in the class, but you might still pick up at least a few tips.

As for the road test, they test 4 skills. They make you:
Do panic stops
Do panic swerves
Do sweeping turns
Do a tight 90º turn (can't put your foot down)

Hondatwin23
05-24-2009, 09:49 AM
As for the road test, they test 4 skills. They make you:
Do panic stops
Do panic swerves
Do sweeping turns
Do a tight 90º turn (can't put your foot down)

:goodjob:

mushroom_toy
05-24-2009, 03:05 PM
Good deal thats mainly what I needed to know. Ive already been through a lot of fun stuff on the bike since I mostly ride vintage bikes now. i.e clutch cable snapping going down the road, almost getting ranover by a bmw driver turning onto me in the left lane (cop saw this and pulled his ass over yay!), plenty of people pulling out in front of me, almost hitting a few animals including deer, dogs and racoons, having to ride a bike with no front brake, Already had a few emergency stops with the skids, and rear swaying, Ive unfortunately layed a Honda cbr down at about 15mph due to a braindead dog (Swerved once missed him, and all of a sudden he decides to run in front of me again locked up the rear and it just started shimmying and i put it down on the end of the pavement and into some grass. Mostly broke a mirror and a frame slider, nothing major.) Had a bike lock up with me and had to push it back in neutral about 8 miles. ( up and down hills that shit was gay and made me hate the bike) etc. I think im prepared enough to just get my license.

Hondatwin23
05-24-2009, 07:22 PM
oh your ready...lol

WTF?
05-24-2009, 10:20 PM
i know ill be taking a MSF course when i get the money to buy a bike but im also a noob

DynamicSound
05-24-2009, 10:22 PM
This is the best part of taking the MSF course and why I am glad I took that route. Pass their written and course test and you get your license. You don't have to worry about dealing with the DMV people.

mushroom_toy
06-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Took the test today and got my license, super simple and took about 10 mins.Had to do a few parts over since my old ass speedo doesnt work correctly all the time. XD

Hondatwin23
06-06-2009, 03:31 PM
congrats!