PDA

View Full Version : Sports The Hawks suck at scouting/drafting players

tippatone
05-22-2009, 07:46 AM
With the draft approaching I was thinking.....how are they going to screw this one up. The Hawks have blown it repeatedly when they've needed a point guard in the draft. They passed on Chris Paul (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2779) to draft Marvin Williams (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2797) and passed on Rajon Rondo (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3026) to draft Shelden Williams (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3040). Then, two years ago, when they finally got around to picking a point guard, they took Acie Law (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3219) ahead of Rodney Stuckey (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3235). I am confident they will screw this one up as well.......

VIP Style
05-22-2009, 11:59 AM
man hawks do suck, how they gone let lebron walk them like he did.

tippatone
05-22-2009, 01:11 PM
man hawks do suck, how they gone let lebron walk them like he did.

6-8 250+........ the only way to stop him is to shoot him.....too big, too quick

BB6dohcvtec
05-22-2009, 09:42 PM
so big al was bad draft pick? ok i see your logic lol

tippatone
05-23-2009, 11:25 PM
so big al was bad draft pick? ok i see your logic lol

OK, tell me other than the last two seasons when did the hawks last make the playoffs? Back in the Steve Smith/Mookie Blaylock days. The Hawks had so many draft failures, if you can tell me they have more sucessful draft picks than bust I can tell you, you don't know the Hawks well. And ok Al was a good draft pick, but you can't build a team around him. He's a very good player, rebounds like a beast, but he not going to be a star in the league.

FlipKing
05-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Smith, Williams, Horford all through the draft. Childress was too. Doing pretty well if you ask me. Every team has misses

tippatone
05-25-2009, 07:18 AM
Smith, Williams, Horford all through the draft. Childress was too. Doing pretty well if you ask me. Every team has misses

Take a look at the history of their drafts and you be the judge:

http://statsheet.com/mcb/drafts/nba_team/Atlanta-Hawks

IDK but the Hawks make horrible selections, Jon Koncak in 85, Adam Keefe in 92,
Alan Henderson in 95, some bum named Preist Lauderdale in 96, both the 97 and 98 drafts were total busts, then in 99 they did ok snatching J Terry, then 2001 they drafted Pau Gasol and traded him to the Grizzlies, 02 and 03 were busts again, then in 04 they drafted Childress ans J Smith, they don't have the eye for their next superstar, they just draft average players, no superstars and they are drafting in the top 10 in most of draft. Their front office sucks!!!!

eYezs1ck
05-27-2009, 01:24 PM
damn shoulda kept JT

B20brid
06-13-2009, 12:12 AM
We love our HAWKS

4dmin
06-15-2009, 08:06 AM
hawks cant draft worth anything.

BLACK_EK9
06-17-2009, 12:10 PM
they need to trade up and get Johnny Flynn, IMO he is the best true PG in this draft

cjhutch
06-17-2009, 12:20 PM
The only one I can give you credit for is the Marvin Williams picks. All the other picks you can do the "what ifs" all day long. The fact is the Hawks and a slew of other teams also passed up on Rajon Rondo and Rodney Stuckey. Look at where they were drafted and you can see that. Nobody knew Stuckey was going to be the kind of floor leader he is now and Rondo was a horrible shooter and he's really only average right now. You place Rondo on a team without three hall of famers and he would still be average. The fact is the players around him make him appear to be much better than he is. The hawks don't have that kind of core so if he were here right now you would be screaming that he was a bad draft pick.

sogood
06-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Trading up to get Flynn would be pretty stupid. Call me biased, but Nick Calathes is a much better prospect at the point, IMO. He has better size and has a much more broad game than Flynn. Not to mention he's a better shooter.

Robby
06-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Hawks are alot better than they used to be, so they must be doing something right... I mean look, they got to second round of playoffs. They usually don't even make it.

BB6dohcvtec
06-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Trading up to get Flynn would be pretty stupid. Call me biased, but Nick Calathes is a much better prospect at the point, IMO. He has better size and has a much more broad game than Flynn. Not to mention he's a better shooter.

too bad calathes already signed a contract to play in greece next year.

BLACK_EK9
06-17-2009, 04:23 PM

exactly and he is looking to get bought out if he is drafted out of the lottery

BLACK_EK9
06-17-2009, 04:29 PM

what other PG except Rubio and Calathes are even in Flynn's league? Curry is nice but not a true PG and Jrue Holiday averaged only like 8ppg and he isn't a true PG and getting drafted on potential which isn't too bad because look at Russell Westbrook, OKC may pass on Rubio because of Russell's potential. Darren Collison or Maynor (forgot his 1st name) would be solid picks for the Hawks if they don't trade up. just my:2cents:

sogood
06-17-2009, 08:23 PM

Damn, I didn't even realize that. When did that happen?

sogood
06-17-2009, 08:28 PM
what other PG except Rubio and Calathes are even in Flynn's league? Curry is nice but not a true PG and Jrue Holiday averaged only like 8ppg and he isn't a true PG and getting drafted on potential which isn't too bad because look at Russell Westbrook, OKC may pass on Rubio because of Russell's potential. Darren Collison or Maynor (forgot his 1st name) would be solid picks for the Hawks if they don't trade up. just my:2cents:

There really aren't any which is my point, this year is weak for true PGs. No sense in trading up for someone that's not worth it. There are a lot of good free agents out there after this season and I'd be looking at them more than risking another draft pick on a bust.

BB6dohcvtec
06-17-2009, 09:58 PM
about 2 weeks ago he will be getting paid close to 2 million in american dollars for a year there with a player option for a second (calathes)

cjhutch
06-17-2009, 10:38 PM

How about Ty Lawson. The guy is a beast with the ball in hands and knows how to run a team. Calathes is nowhere near as polished as Lawson at the point. Ty can get in the lane and has the strength to finish. Not to mention he is lightning quick in the open floor. His assist to turnover ratio is around 3:1 and he's no slouch on the defensive side either. I really think he is the best true PG in the draft.

BLACK_EK9
06-18-2009, 12:44 AM
How about Ty Lawson. The guy is a beast with the ball in hands and knows how to run a team. Calathes is nowhere near as polished as Lawson at the point. Ty can get in the lane and has the strength to finish. Not to mention he is lightning quick in the open floor. His assist to turnover ratio is around 3:1 and he's no slouch on the defensive side either. I really think he is the best true PG in the draft.

I agree, almost forgot about Lawson! The only problem I have with Lawson is his outside shot other than that I think he will be a solid pick up if the Hawks don't move up. :yes:

BLACK_EK9
06-18-2009, 12:52 AM
There really aren't any which is my point, this year is weak for true PGs. No sense in trading up for someone that's not worth it. There are a lot of good free agents out there after this season and I'd be looking at them more than risking another draft pick on a bust.

Free agents? Who? Bibby? Bibby is past his prime and do you really think Andre Miller would sign with the Hawks? He wants to play for championships or he will stay in Philly. The Hawks always passed up on PGs and drafted a 3 or bigger with their first pick and when they did draft a guard, JT, he came out ok just didn't last here in the A. The Hawks need a young PG and bad! Acie Law is not the answer short term or long term and why is Speedy Claxton still on this roster? Anyway, they need a PG for the future.