PDA

View Full Version : ATT U-verse vs ATT/Bellsouth DSL

james
05-21-2009, 12:43 AM
So we had ATT/bellsouth dsl. It was slower than shit. Last night when we still had dsl it was maxing out on speedtest.net at 1.2 down and 0.22 up. LAME!!! so we got the U-verse (fiber to the node) internet and tv installed today. One guy install and it took about 10 hours. Anyways, its about the same price as comcast for tv and bellsouth for their slow ass shit. I am now getting 6 down and a little less than 1 up. I know the up is still pretty slow, but its like 6 times faster down than it was. My dad said he would upgrade after we got the first bill.

Anyone else have it? and what is your tv/internet package?

I know our tv is U-200, and well, our internet is 6 down. so whatever that package is.

Nissan Sean
05-21-2009, 12:56 AM
what internet speed did your select? if it was "extreme 6.0" then your getting perfect speeds. but yeah Uverse is awesome. The top speed package is Max 18 which is really fast, too bad its taking so long to be available in alot of places.

james
05-21-2009, 01:59 AM
what internet speed did your select? if it was "extreme 6.0" then your getting perfect speeds. but yeah Uverse is awesome. The top speed package is Max 18 which is really fast, too bad its taking so long to be available in alot of places.

we must have gotten the "elite" which is 6 down, 1 up. The "max" service which is 10 down, 1.5 up is $10 more a month. you think it would be worth it?

Allshow97
05-21-2009, 07:44 AM
Max 18 is the highest which is 18mbps down and 3mb up I believe. I wish U-Verse was available in my area because I'd switch in a instant. I have DSL X-Treme 6.0 right now and peg 6.2mbps down and around 512k up.

tony
05-21-2009, 07:56 AM
I install (well used to, im in a different department now) and those speeds for your DSL and Uverse is kind of slow. What area do you live in?

james
05-21-2009, 08:09 AM
I install (well used to, im in a different department now) and those speeds for your DSL and Uverse is kind of slow. What area do you live in?

johns creek. i think it may be because its not the fiber to the premise...but instead fiber to the node, and the node is all the way down the street. so you installed eh? if its not fiber to the premise then what kind of wiring is it? curious.

james
05-21-2009, 08:11 AM
Max 18 is the highest which is 18mbps down and 3mb up I believe.

18/1.5

tony
05-21-2009, 11:19 AM
johns creek. i think it may be because its not the fiber to the premise...but instead fiber to the node, and the node is all the way down the street. so you installed eh? if its not fiber to the premise then what kind of wiring is it? curious.

depends on your area, they're trailing different things in different places. Fiber to the premise doesn't have Uverse yet (that is the reason why I cannot get it) Your speeds may be due to the distance and/or quality of the line you are on. My job now is to clear lines for Uverse.

guinness
05-23-2009, 12:58 PM
actually,all the speed problems are going to soon be raised or corrected.they are currently running fiber all up 400 from lenox straight up to where it ends in dahlonega.i'm not saying you're going to have t-4 or t-5 speeds,but the service or part of the line that you are renting on that line will provide a much quicker upload,download,and connectivity time than what has been available lately.not only that,but cisco is already and has been developing a new service,called smart grid,that will be 100 to 1,000 times the size of the internet.keep in mind that cisco is the world's leading maker,designer,producer,and implimenter of the best routers,switches,hubs(if anyone still uses those anymore),interfaces,etc.with this in mind,the ICMP,IETFand ISPs are going to have to step it up when cisco puts this into action.for right now,this is being used to keep real-time tracking on like the water deprtment and electric department billings.later on it will be used to do the same for the ISPs and that wil make them have to meet the new standard that cisco wil require for the ISPs to meet their interface's requirements.

here's the article on that story.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-10241102-54.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea.0

TIGERJC
05-23-2009, 11:54 PM
if anyone needs u-verse, let me know b/c I do give $ for referrals :). Half my neighborhood has it, and all my neighbors I sold the service to love it

Ludester
05-24-2009, 03:23 AM
depends on your area, they're trailing different things in different places. Fiber to the premise doesn't have Uverse yet (that is the reason why I cannot get it) Your speeds may be due to the distance and/or quality of the line you are on. My job now is to clear lines for Uverse.

just curious, are u the one that handle cases for address validations when clarify (CRM) is acting up for sales reps?

tony
05-24-2009, 08:00 AM
just curious, are u the one that handle cases for address validations when clarify (CRM) is acting up for sales reps?

Nah, basically what I get is a report on a count of cable that is costing the company a lot of money and I have to go out there and find out why. I don't really deal with records, only to update defective and working pairs. A lot of it is clearing the path for Uverse so it can get to areas that should be able to get it.. but can't.

green91
05-24-2009, 08:02 AM
Pretty much any time you've got the opportunity to replace copper lines and have fiber on premises you should go for it as long as its affordable. Distance requirements and signal degradation make DSL pretty much undesirable unless its your only option (like me lol)

green91
05-24-2009, 08:06 AM
You said that AT&T is running fiber all the way to 400n.. do they plan on offering subscriber services around that area too? Im capped out at 3mb dsl in my area of dahlonega and they have no plans to upgrade my area.

Ludester
05-24-2009, 10:11 PM
You said that AT&T is running fiber all the way to 400n.. do they plan on offering subscriber services around that area too? Im capped out at 3mb dsl in my area of dahlonega and they have no plans to upgrade my area.

Right now to get uverse you have to within 3000 feet of the node. I don't see that changing. To get 2 streams of HD there as to be 25megs of bandwith from the node to your house. This also the only way you can get the Max18 internet services as well.

some areas that can only get dsl already have fiber so you really can't say they don't want to upgrade your (or any) area. There is a specific group with in the company that is working hard daily to get fiber (uverse) at the driveway of every home and appartment complex ;) .

Ludester
05-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Nah, basically what I get is a report on a count of cable that is costing the company a lot of money and I have to go out there and find out why. I don't really deal with records, only to update defective and working pairs. A lot of it is clearing the path for Uverse so it can get to areas that should be able to get it.. but can't.

Oh ok :D

osiriskidd
06-03-2009, 04:48 PM
i've heard terrible things about u-verse.
like packet loss and terribad pings during gaming.

could just be a port problem back at their hq.

Tarzanman
06-04-2009, 09:09 AM
I know two people who have switched to U-Verse, and both complained about the internet connectivity issues. One is switching back to Comcast.

There have been quite a few salesmen in our neighborhood pushing it in the past few months, but since I currently watch less than 2 hours of TV a week, there's not much of a reason for me and my roommate to bother since the pricing structure is about the same.

Hopefully they get the kinks worked out and give Comcast some better competition.

ironchef
06-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Any idea when U-Verse is coming to 30004? West side of 400 across from the North Point mall area.

osiriskidd
06-05-2009, 09:26 AM
I know two people who have switched to U-Verse, and both complained about the internet connectivity issues. One is switching back to Comcast.

There have been quite a few salesmen in our neighborhood pushing it in the past few months, but since I currently watch less than 2 hours of TV a week, there's not much of a reason for me and my roommate to bother since the pricing structure is about the same.

Hopefully they get the kinks worked out and give Comcast some better competition.

comcast needs competition. because their heads are so far up their asses they don't even worry about keeping customers anymore.