PDA

View Full Version : lets play the hypothetical situation game v. osnap is pissed the hell off

osnap
05-20-2009, 06:06 PM
I'm pissed and basically just need to write my thoughts down, IA is as good a medium as any.

I was in an apartment. 1 year lease. I had 3 months left, and I had the opportunity to move into a house on a date when I'd have 2 months left in my lease. So for one month I busted my ass finding a sub-leaser, and finally got one lined up who was ready to sign paperwork. Then, a mutual buddy of mine who I know decently well (and my roommate-at-the-time knows much better) tells me he'd like to move in.

After talking to him extensively, he assures me he can take care of the lease. I asked him several times if he was sure because I have someone else lined up, but I'll wave them off if hes positive he can handle it. He says yes, but he can't move in until a week into the month, other than that things are gravy and he's responsible, etc... so being the nice person that I am, I say fuck it, I'll pay $300 of the month's $455 rent to help you out, thats cheaper than terminating the lease and I was gonna pay the other guy $200 to take it over anyways. Since I know the guy, I don't want to make him jump through any paperwork hoops and I don't really want to deal with it anyways. And besides, its 2 months, what could possibly go wrong? :no:

He moves in 2 weeks ago, I now live in my house. He calls me an hour ago and says "oh hey, bad news, I'm moving out June 1st. I can't find a job (he never told me he didnt have one) and I've been trying to sell some stuff but I cant, so... yeah. Oh, and we didn't sign any contracts or anything, so you're just gonna have to pay for it".

me: "you're joking, right? man up, make it happen, be responsible. Sell some shit, get a loan, mow a fucking lawn for all I care. I helped you out here and you're gonna fuck me over like that?"

him: "I'm not the irresponsible one, you're the one that didn't sign paperwork. and I tried to get a job but I can't, so I don't know what to tell you. Oh and I'm not fucking you over, I'm giving you 10 days notice" (no, seriously, he said that)

me: "un-fucking-believable." *click*

I'm PISSED. Obviously I should have done the paperwork, I know this. Legally and technically, he's not responsible, I know. This is all technically my fault, I know. It's still super fucked up. He has paid a grand total of $155, and now "can't afford it". He just bought a set of forged wheels for his car for like 800 bucks, like a WEEK before moving in, knowing that he didn't have a job or any money, and he didn't bother mentioning these things to me.

I've learned my lesson, and I'll probably have to suck it up and just pay so my credit doesn't get buttfucked... (it will be nice paying 2 rents, a car payment, and utilities... no, really, I'm gonna love that). I'm just curious as to what you guys think about the situation and what you'd do.

God damn I need a beer.

Scotsman
05-20-2009, 06:07 PM
shoot him

osnap
05-20-2009, 06:09 PM
*reads scotsmans post*

yep, definitely in the whoreselounge. lol.

man
05-20-2009, 06:09 PM
Does anyone else know he was taking over your lease? If so you have a verbal contract and witnesses

Scotsman
05-20-2009, 06:10 PM
lol , real talk , that sux bro , try callin back that other guy and see if he could still swing it

BKgen®
05-20-2009, 06:11 PM
allthatshitbyyou.jpg

osnap
05-20-2009, 06:12 PM
Does anyone else know he was taking over your lease? If so you have a verbal contract and witnesses
yes, my then-roommate as well as several of our friends were all aware of the situation. my roommate is pissed too.
lol , real talk , that sux bro , try callin back that other guy and see if he could still swing it
nah, it was a guy from craigslist, I emailed him but he's already found a place. And at this point its gonna be borderline impossible to have someone sublease for ONE month.

osnap
05-20-2009, 06:13 PM
allthatshitbyyou.jpg
brandoncomesthroughagainwithahealthydoseoflulz.png

BKgen®
05-20-2009, 06:15 PM
png, eh? well played, sir.

osnap
05-20-2009, 06:18 PM
dont even make me reach into my arsenal of .tif or .raw -capped phrases.... bish.

BKgen®
05-20-2009, 06:20 PM
fuckyocouch.lol

green91
05-20-2009, 06:20 PM
yeah it sucks, but you didnt follow through on your end to protect yourself.. and its only a couple hundred bucks.

osnap
05-20-2009, 06:25 PM
yeah it sucks, but you didnt follow through on your end to protect yourself.. and its only a couple hundred bucks.
oh believe me, I know I'm legally responsible, I'm not trying to wriggle out of it or anything. I learned my lesson.

And yeah its $455, luckily only a month, but thats not exactly chump change for me. I mean I've got it, I'm responsible, I can take care of it without being in a huge bind, but its not just like a complete no-sweat situation. I don't generally have $500 laying around to just casually blow on literally nothing.

Miranda
05-20-2009, 07:27 PM
osnap.... go find your girlfriend and stick it IDP...

guarantee you'll have a slightly brighter perspective on this whole situation after.

osnap
05-20-2009, 07:29 PM
osnap.... go find your girlfriend and stick it IDP...

guarantee you'll have a slightly brighter perspective on this whole situation after.
oh thats already in the cards lol. heading to her place in a few minutes.

ive actually done some research and it turns out i would definitely have a fairly clear-cut case in magistrate court, so hopefully he'll get his shit together before this gets messy.

AnthonyF
05-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Holy fuck bro. Damn, sorry to hear. People will do that. There are assholes everywhere that only care about themselves.

-Ant.

Miranda
05-20-2009, 07:31 PM
oh thats already in the cards lol. heading to her place in a few minutes.

ive actually done some research and it turns out i would definitely have a fairly clear-cut case in magistrate court, so hopefully he'll get his shit together before this gets messy.
bwahahaha...

+1 for getting shit together and things being messy in response to an IDP comment.

man
05-20-2009, 07:47 PM
take him to court

osnap
05-20-2009, 07:58 PM
take him to court
exploring that possibility ;)

BobbyFresco
05-20-2009, 08:19 PM
I believe that verbal contracts do not extend to real estate...However, you can hold him responsible for whatever amount of time he spent there plus utilities. I'm not absolutely sure but after a certain amount of days, a person living in a residence becomes a resident, by law, and one would have to go through the same steps as one would to evict a contractually bound legal tenant. As such, he would be responsible for paying you something......Sucks that you did not have your buddy sign you off the lease because you would have been off the hook.

BobbyFresco
05-20-2009, 08:25 PM
And that ten days notice is shit...Being that he is now a legal tenant, he is supposed to give you a 30 day notice, I believe...but I'm no lawyer..You should actually consult with an attorney....

ALVIN
05-21-2009, 07:02 AM
kick his ass seabass

Killer
05-21-2009, 09:44 AM
how many more months do you have on the lease??

willum14pb
05-21-2009, 09:57 AM
i would go up to him and probably break his legs so he couldn't leave. duct tape him to a wall and spoon feed him twice a day, so he can't say he wans't living there.

Echonova
05-21-2009, 03:13 PM
I believe that verbal contracts do not extend to real estate...However, you can hold him responsible for whatever amount of time he spent there plus utilities. I'm not absolutely sure but after a certain amount of days, a person living in a residence becomes a resident, by law, and one would have to go through the same steps as one would to evict a contractually bound legal tenant. As such, he would be responsible for paying you something......Sucks that you did not have your buddy sign you off the lease because you would have been off the hook.Here's the thing... I'm sure if osnap reads his lease it is stated he is NOT allowed to sub-lease the apartment (fairly standard, I would be shocked if it weren't there). Therefore he had no "legal" right to lease to this guy. However, it could have been much worse, had the guy trashed the place he would have been liable for the rent and damages. He's getting out cheap on this lesson learned.

Sorry to hear about this osnap and I hope everything turns out alright for ya.:goodjob:

Echonova
05-21-2009, 03:21 PM
BTW: osnap, since the guy has no "legal" right to be there, go evict his ass TONIGHT. Fuck his 10 days.

Echonova
05-23-2009, 06:18 PM
So how did this work out for you?

osnap
05-23-2009, 07:36 PM
he already moved all his shit out, and came up with $200, its literally all he has to his name. im just gonna kinda shrug it off as a lesson learned and pay the 250, no point in going through the trouble of legal action. 250 is much less annoying than 450. and yes, my subleasing was a violation of the lease terms, but my agreement with this guy was that he was just writing my roommate a personal check, not paying the lease directly. its kinda iffy, but i feel i could make it fly in court if i wanted to.

Echonova
05-24-2009, 12:43 AM
Glad to hear it worked out homie!:goodjob:

Jason..
05-24-2009, 12:44 AM
Glad to hear it worked out homie!:goodjob:guess what man!

Echonova
05-24-2009, 12:50 AM
wut?

Jason..
05-24-2009, 12:52 AM
wut?Its 9 51 here in alaska and its bright as fuck!!

Revmaynard
05-24-2009, 12:55 AM
I got fucked over by two roommates. Fuck verbal contracts when it comes to things like that.

Echonova
05-24-2009, 12:56 AM
Blame Sarah Palin and global warming
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn141/js4ms1/Palin.jpg

redrumracer
05-24-2009, 01:01 AM
rent the room out per night type thing on craigs list

Jason..
05-24-2009, 01:02 AM
Blame Sarah Palin and global warming
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn141/js4ms1/Palin.jpgI wanna see a fucking moose man.

Sir_Christopher
05-24-2009, 01:52 AM
need a room mate haha

Jason..
05-24-2009, 02:46 AM
need a room mate hahaThis isnt the playboy mansion lol