PDA

View Full Version : Sports Today it was announced that Vick will be working with The Humane Society

Tracy
05-20-2009, 04:57 PM
http://hsus.typepad.com/wayne/2009/05/michael-vick.html

referenced links from the original article (if you click on the original article, you can find them all there yourself):
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2940065
http://hsus.typepad.com/wayne/2007/07/vick-nfl.html
http://hsus.typepad.com/wayne/2007/08/vick-guilty-ple.html
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/05/19/vick.humane.society/index.html
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4180150

What’s Next for Michael Vick?

There was nobody tougher on Michael Vick than The Humane Society of the United States. After sufficient facts came to light about the happenings at Bad Newz Kennels in Surry County, Virginia—the sometime residence of Vick that had morphed into a dogfighting staging ground—The HSUS urged state and federal authorities to prosecute him and we made a key confidential informant available to federal authorities, which proved vital to the case.

We also campaigned, along with others, to urge the Atlanta Falcons to drop Vick, the NFL to suspend him, and his corporate sponsors (such as Nike) to sever their ties. All of that happened, and the fuel that drove all of these actions was the rage and disgust that so many millions of Americans felt once the details came out.

Vick and the other three individuals at the vortex of the criminal network at Bad Newz should have been prosecuted and punished, and they were. They did horrible things.

Long before the Vick case, it was The HSUS, working with our allies in Congress led by Reps. Earl Blumenauer and Elton Gallegly, that drove the enactment of strong federal laws to crack down on animal fighting—banning any interstate or foreign transport of animals for fighting and upgrading penalties with amendments to the Animal Welfare Act in 2002. We worked on a further upgrade of the law in 2007 to make it a federal felony to move dogs across state lines. For years, we had been working with the law enforcement arm of the U.S. Department of Agriculture—the Office of Inspector General—sharing intelligence on animal fighting crimes, emphasizing the corrosive impact of animal fighting on our communities, and urging them to be more aggressive in investigating cases. When the Vick case came to light, these federal authorities grabbed the torch, especially after they saw the Surry County prosecutor failing to take action. For their leadership, we honored federal prosecutors and investigators in 2007 at our annual Law Enforcement Awards ceremony.

For The HSUS, dogfighting had long been a priority concern, and we knew it was an epidemic problem, especially in urban communities. But most people considered it a relic issue—a settled matter and a rare occurrence. The Vick case synced public sentiment with the scale of the problem, and dogfighting rightly reoccupied a priority slot on the animal protection agenda in America.

The HSUS tried to channel this energy in the aftermath of the Vick case, and we helped to pass a remarkable 21 new laws against animal fighting, including a third upgrade of the federal law. Thanks to our supporters, we amped up our rewards program and worked with state Attorneys General and other law enforcement agencies to advertise the program. We set up tip lines so we could gather other information. We established community-based programs to do outreach to young people at risk of getting enmeshed in the world of dogfighting. We expanded our training of law enforcement agents in investigation and prosecution of animal fighting crimes.

Last year, we were involved in more than 250 busts of animal fighting operations, both dogfighting and cockfighting.

So with this record of action, I think I’d be the least likely guy to end up sitting at a small table and talking calmly with Michael Vick about his interest in working with us.

But when you step back and ponder it, we are actually the most logical place for him to go. We have the most developed programs on the issue, so if he’s sincere about making a difference, there’s no better place to land.

I sat with the man, but I still don’t know what’s in his heart. He told me he did terrible things to dogs. He said he grew up with dogfighting as a boy, and that he never sufficiently questioned it as he grew into manhood.

He said this experience has been a trauma and he’s changed forever. And he said he wants to show the American public that he is committed to helping combat this problem. He asked for an opportunity to help. I want to give him that opportunity. If he makes the most of it, and demonstrates a sincere, long-term commitment to the task, then it may prove to be a tipping point in our campaign to eradicate dogfighting. If he demonstrates a fleeting or superficial interest, then it will be his own failing, not ours. Our campaign will march forward regardless. It’s up to him, and we at The HSUS reserve judgment until he demonstrates that he’s part of the solution rather than a further part of the problem.

Maybe if there had been an intervention program in Newport News 15 years ago, a young Michael Vick would have grown to love and respect pit bulls, and he would not have done these terrible things to dogs. For me, it’s not about Michael Vick and providing endless punitive treatment. It’s about stopping other young people from going down the road Vick took. It’s about having kids today put down their break sticks and destroy their pit bull treadmills.

We’ve done a lot with the law, and with law enforcement, and that work continues. But the most urgent challenge we face is interrupting the cycle of violence that leads kids down this dead end path, one that’s paved with animal misery. They need to see that dogfighters never succeed. They are criminals, and there’s no good outcome. Michael Vick’s story is a narrative they need to hear.

Tracy
05-20-2009, 04:58 PM
Good points.

redblackfan
05-24-2009, 05:04 PM
He Still my fav player

BanginJimmy
05-24-2009, 07:07 PM
He Still my fav player

Would you like to tell me why? He was never more than an average QB who's production would be replaced by 1 of many backups throughout the league.

VIP Style
05-24-2009, 07:27 PM
not more than a average QB? but he still made it to the pro bowl on more than one occasion. lol dude you be hating on vick like hell.
Would you like to tell me why? He was never more than an average QB who's production would be replaced by 1 of many backups throughout the league.

BanginJimmy
05-25-2009, 12:37 AM
not more than a average QB? but he still made it to the pro bowl on more than one occasion. lol dude you be hating on vick like hell.

Yes I do hate Vick, and I have plenty of reasons to hate him. He was an exciting player, that's why he went to the Pro Bowl. He was never in the top 10 of 16 teams for passer rating in the NFC. He was never in the top 10 in the NFC for passing yards. He was never in the top 10 in total yards from scrimmage. Tell me why he should have gone to the Pro Bowl.

As I have said multiple times and you ignore. Vick was an outstanding athlete, but as a QB, he was not better than average.

Vick made the pro bowl in 2002, 04, 05.

In 05, second year Eli Manning threw for 2.5% less compeltion %, 1300 more yards, 9 more TD's, 4 more INT's, and 2.8 higher rating, yet didnt make the Pro Bowl. Manning also led the Giants to an 11-5 record while Vick lead the Falcons to an 8-8 record.

VIP Style
05-25-2009, 11:21 AM
and of course we know manning has a better team around him:goodjob:, vick had less talent around him which made his ability more evident, which is why he went to the pro bowls. just look up his career stats at the falcons website, he has alot of records and they are not just limited to his running ability.
Yes I do hate Vick, and I have plenty of reasons to hate him. He was an exciting player, that's why he went to the Pro Bowl. He was never in the top 10 of 16 teams for passer rating in the NFC. He was never in the top 10 in the NFC for passing yards. He was never in the top 10 in total yards from scrimmage. Tell me why he should have gone to the Pro Bowl.

As I have said multiple times and you ignore. Vick was an outstanding athlete, but as a QB, he was not better than average.

Vick made the pro bowl in 2002, 04, 05.

In 05, second year Eli Manning threw for 2.5% less compeltion %, 1300 more yards, 9 more TD's, 4 more INT's, and 2.8 higher rating, yet didnt make the Pro Bowl. Manning also led the Giants to an 11-5 record while Vick lead the Falcons to an 8-8 record.

Vteckidd
05-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Yeah, totally called this already, no surprise

BanginJimmy
05-25-2009, 02:45 PM
and of course we know manning has a better team around him:goodjob:, vick had less talent around him which made his ability more evident, which is why he went to the pro bowls. just look up his career stats at the falcons website, he has alot of records and they are not just limited to his running ability.

Actually thoe Giants in 05 werent more talented than the Falcons. They simply had better QB play that allowed them to win close games.

Vick doesnt have ANY records in the NFL outside of running the ball. I dont know where you are getting that crap from.

VIP Style
05-26-2009, 12:12 PM
first QB to ever throw for more than 250 yards and rush for over 100 in the same game (10/31/04). sounds a bit more than average to me.

Actually thoe Giants in 05 werent more talented than the Falcons. They simply had better QB play that allowed them to win close games.

Vick doesnt have ANY records in the NFL outside of running the ball. I dont know where you are getting that crap from.

BanginJimmy
05-26-2009, 12:41 PM
first QB to ever throw for more than 250 yards and rush for over 100 in the same game (10/31/04). sounds a bit more than average to me.

Again, name a record that that Vick has outside of running the ball. Throwing for 250 in a game is nothing special at all. Either is running for 100 in a game. Face it, Vick was average at best as a QB.

VIP Style
05-26-2009, 01:06 PM
ok back in 2006 vick had more td throws than brett favre with less attempts. he completed 20 of 30 for 209 yards with 2 TD passes against green bay(11/13) with a passer rating over 100. posted a passer rating of 102.6 against miami for over 200 yards(11/6), but than again you really cant measure a players winning capabilities on stats alone. im not saying vick is great, but he is above average. he has or "had" the potential to be a great QB under the right coaching.
Again, name a record that that Vick has outside of running the ball. Throwing for 250 in a game is nothing special at all. Either is running for 100 in a game. Face it, Vick was average at best as a QB.

Tracy
05-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Oh dang. I can't even get in on this convo. I hate football. :P