PDA

View Full Version : Transferring Car Titles from tennessee to a Georgia Title...need help!

LongLiveH2b
05-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Im still at work and didnt have enough time today to stop by the Tag office to ask this question:

Im about to trade my car for a car in Tennessee, my car has a clean Georgia title and the other persons car has a clean Tennessee title, how am i going to transfer the title to my name? Is it anything i should worry about because it's an out of state title?

What if the car im trading for has a Salvaged title, or Repaired Title? I heard awhile ago about you have to get inspections for those type of titles...

reps will be given for any help:goodjob:

thanks,

NewGen33
05-20-2009, 03:27 PM
If the title is salvaged stay away from it. You will have to go through a lot of PITA steps before it will be legal to drive on the road. Good Luck

The Ren
05-20-2009, 03:27 PM
just do it the normal way.. as if you were selling the car. I bought my supra from TN. All you have to do is take it to the dmv here.. I think its like $18 to change state reg. no biggie.

edit: id agree to stay away from a non clean title though out of state

SPOOLIN
05-20-2009, 03:30 PM
salvage-rebuilt title should be the same process as a clean title to swap over other than that its easy as pie.

salvage title will actually be the same also, as with any salvage car it has to be inspected to become salvage-rebuilt (road legal)

NewGen33
05-20-2009, 03:40 PM
Heres a link to help answer some of your questions...
http://www.dmv.org/ga-georgia/vehicle-registration.php

LongLiveH2b
05-20-2009, 03:42 PM
thanks, so if it's a clean Tennessee title than transferring it to a Georgia title is just the same as if it was a clean Georgia title but with just a higher transfer fee, no inspections or such,

but if it's salvage-repaired it doesnt need to be inspected if it stays within the original state but has to be inspected if it's goin into a different state, and if it's just salvage either way you have to get it inspected regardless of state...?

slostang
05-20-2009, 03:44 PM
i actually just had a vehicle tagged and titled in my name yesterday. i tihink it cost me $38.

SPOOLIN
05-20-2009, 03:47 PM
title will cost 18 whether its out of state or in state, i just did this exact thing with a tenn title several weeks ago.

ash7
05-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Spoolin is correct, titling a car is easier than one would think.

-jonathan

noridetoolow
05-20-2009, 05:32 PM
And you Jonathan....of ALL PEOPLE should know this! lol

Seriously though...the back of the titles will look different but they basically all have the same fields. The only REAL important thing you need the seller to do is write and sign his name in the SELLER section. Dates, milage...you can fill that in later if you want.

IF the TN title is a salvage title then it should be a rebuilt title if he has it registered\tagged\titled and is driving it. If its not rebuilt....and is still in salvage...RUN unless you know the guy WELL and trust him!

Also....dont forget to KEEP YOUR TAG! You will put it on your new car and that 1. saves you the fee of a new tag and 2. doesnt make you liable when the other guy does stupid stuff with your registered tag.

Spoolin is correct, titling a car is easier than one would think.

-jonathan

B18c1Turboed
05-21-2009, 11:06 AM
Even if the car has a rebuilt TITLE from another state, the car must be reinspected. They will not issue you a tag in GA until u get re-inspected.

GA wants too make sure the car is road worthy.

GaGen2Teg
05-21-2009, 11:09 AM
im bout to go thru this process with my ej has a rebuilt tennessee title. All i need to pass inspection is to put the stock steering wheel on

LongLiveH2b
05-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Even if the car has a rebuilt TITLE from another state, the car must be reinspected. They will not issue you a tag in GA until u get re-inspected.

GA wants too make sure the car is road worthy.

cool thanks, so if it does have a clean title, transfering/register the car should be fine.....thanks

"You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later." Is this new or sumthin?:thinking: Well i guess i'll get you tommorow