PDA

View Full Version : Internet Service...

Elbow
05-19-2009, 03:04 PM
I am looking for good cheap fairly quick internet.

Anyone use AT&T DSL? What speed? Is Charter cable better?

Paul
05-20-2009, 07:24 AM
dsl sucks go w/ cable; i have comcast for years and have been very please with service; charter will provide same type of service :goodjob:

Allshow97
05-20-2009, 09:49 AM
I have AT&T DSL and have had it since it's inception here in Atlanta. I currently have DSL Xtreme as they call it which runs 6MB down and 512K up. Comcast is conceptually faster, however your total bandwidth is shared amongst everyone else in your neighborhood. They essentially push one fat pipe to the CO and it's distributed amongst all users. So if the load is heavy you may notice that your service can be slow. It all depends on the time of day. Now with AT&T that 6MB down and 512K up is yours, you don't share it with anyone, and DSL practically NEVER goes down unless they are doing routine maintenance in which they let you know way ahead of time. Hope this helps.

Also, for future reference, AT&T is getting ready to launch U-Verse here in Atlanta which is essentially the same thing as Verizon's FiOS up north. It's a dedicated fiber pipe to your house with 30MB down and 4MB up roughly. Last time I talked to an AT&T rep they said they are pushing for holiday season this year.

Ok enough of my jargon. That's my :2cents:

Paul
05-21-2009, 11:46 AM
I have AT&T DSL and have had it since it's inception here in Atlanta. I currently have DSL Xtreme as they call it which runs 6MB down and 512K up. Comcast is conceptually faster, however your total bandwidth is shared amongst everyone else in your neighborhood. They essentially push one fat pipe to the CO and it's distributed amongst all users. So if the load is heavy you may notice that your service can be slow. It all depends on the time of day. Now with AT&T that 6MB down and 512K up is yours, you don't share it with anyone, and DSL practically NEVER goes down unless they are doing routine maintenance in which they let you know way ahead of time. Hope this helps.

Also, for future reference, AT&T is getting ready to launch U-Verse here in Atlanta which is essentially the same thing as Verizon's FiOS up north. It's a dedicated fiber pipe to your house with 30MB down and 4MB up roughly. Last time I talked to an AT&T rep they said they are pushing for holiday season this year.

Ok enough of my jargon. That's my :2cents:

i had dsl on fiber lines and it still doesn't make a difference; my comcast connections still get better speeds plus overall cost is less.

TIGERJC
05-21-2009, 03:43 PM
att U verse is better than cable and can get higher speeds than cable. Pm your address and I will see if it is in your area.

By the way you can bundle the service with your wireless bill to get additional savings and plus rebates for making the switch.

DynamicSound
05-21-2009, 03:50 PM
I have DSL and with my N router, I get 300mbps with their fastest service. Compare to my friends Comcast...mine is much faster. I also used to have Comcast and it was slower.

Elbow
05-21-2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks everyone for the input, my parents have Charter at their house and it's fast, they have some good prices.

I don't have cable or phone just want internet.

james
05-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Thanks everyone for the input, my parents have Charter at their house and it's fast, they have some good prices.

I don't have cable or phone just want internet.

ATT U-Verse offers the fiber optic internet only package that is 18 down/1.5 up. it is phone only order though. It is worth checking into. We did have DSL, and it was slow as SHIT compared to this.

TIGERJC
05-21-2009, 06:55 PM
ATT U-Verse offers the fiber optic internet only package that is 18 down/1.5 up. it is phone only order though. It is worth checking into. We did have DSL, and it was slow as SHIT compared to this.
You can have u-verse without having a phone, and you can order it at my store :D

Scotsman
05-21-2009, 06:57 PM
dsl sucks go w/ cable; i have comcast for years and have been very please with service; charter will provide same type of service :goodjob:QFT

AE86Raptor
05-22-2009, 04:52 PM
Also, for future reference, AT&T is getting ready to launch U-Verse here in Atlanta which is essentially the same thing as Verizon's FiOS up north. It's a dedicated fiber pipe to your house with 30MB down and 4MB up roughly.

My girlfriend's parents have U-Verse and it's actually fiber to node, not direct fiber to the house. They have also have had problems with the connection dropping and as for the TV service it lags.