PDA

View Full Version : timing belt troubles

Delsllow
05-18-2009, 03:30 PM
ight my car shut off yesterday and it turned out being my distributor rotor button so i replaced it starts up just fine but now my CEL is on and my timing belt is making a weird noise (like whipping) its tight on the firewall side and between the gears but on the radiator support side its loose... i can prob move it a half inch each way... gears are still aligned no noise from the motor... any ideas???

its a 94 del sol vtec model b16a3

punkr6
05-18-2009, 03:35 PM
what code is the cell ?

AnthonyF
05-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Tensioner may have failed. I don't know what side it is on. Could have jump toothed.

Find a timing belt diagram of TDC and just match it up to what you have.

-Ant.

Delsllow
05-18-2009, 04:14 PM
CEL read out a 9.. so its my CYP sensor... the side the timing Tensioner is the firewal side and it is tight on the side... would my CYP make my timing off

Delsllow
05-18-2009, 05:37 PM
checked TDC and the belt is right with the cams... did not skip... but when turning the crank to check i notived it got easier to turn and when that happen the belt loosend and i turn alittle more it gets harder and belt tightens... is that normal?

punkr6
05-18-2009, 05:45 PM
1-rotate the engine counter clockwise until the #1 piston is at TDC
2-check the timming marks on the cam gears and see if they are correct
3-check the timming mark on the crank pully and see if its correct

If all is correct
1-lossen the bolt on the timming belt tensioner
2-rotate the crankshaft counter clockwise until the belt is good and tight
3-tighten the tensioner back up

crank it and see if the belt is still tight...

SUBY_RUE
05-18-2009, 05:55 PM
How many miles is on that timming belt? If there are alot of miles, replace the belt, belt tensioner and water pump while your in there... you motor will thank you.

punkr6
05-18-2009, 06:08 PM
How many miles is on that timming belt? If there are alot of miles, replace the belt, belt tensioner and water pump while your in there... you motor will thank you.

good advice here ^ :goodjob:

Delsllow
05-18-2009, 06:41 PM
motor was rebuilt has around 40k on it so the timing belt should be good

AnthonyF
05-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Like punkr6 said, check ALL of your timing marks. Just b/c your cams are lined up doesn't mean they are lined up with your crank.

-Ant.

Black4DrEK
05-18-2009, 09:42 PM
^true

Also man take the cover off and check the tensioner...!!

turbob20
05-19-2009, 01:09 AM
what happened when the rotary button failed? did the screw fall out? if it did it might have bent the cylinder pos sensor a tad cause the very top sensor is the cylinder pos sensor after you take off the black cover. if so you can bend it back if its making contact with the shaft. then reset ecu.

Delsllow
05-19-2009, 01:14 PM
it just got chipped and was blacked... and my MSD ignition can i just swap out my cap and run it stock or do i need a whole new dizzy?

Tech5
05-19-2009, 01:17 PM
ight my car shut off yesterday and it turned out being my distributor rotor button so i replaced it starts up just fine but now my CEL is on and my timing belt is making a weird noise (like whipping) its tight on the firewall side and between the gears but on the radiator support side its loose... i can prob move it a half inch each way... gears are still aligned no noise from the motor... any ideas???

its a 94 del sol vtec model b16a3

timing belt is loose, an its either worn out or the tensioner or belt or both needs to be replaced.... I would look at the belt and see if it has cracking in the belt if not just tighten it up

Black4DrEK
05-19-2009, 01:52 PM
JUST check the damn Tensioner!!

Delsllow
05-19-2009, 05:23 PM
ight im going to swap out the belt and tensioner tonight... but my to replace the MSD ignition do i just replace the MSD cap (and what about the 2 wires goiing to the MSD ignition box