PDA

View Full Version : Does a salvage title ever become OK for buyers?

Mr. Clean
05-18-2009, 11:26 AM
My car is has a salvage title due to the rear bumper being hit. I mean I saw pictures of it when I boughtit. It didn't bust a tail light, didn't touch the exhaust, didn't crunch a quarter... nothing. but due to its age and the fact that it's a honda it was totalled. Now as many of you know... my car is super fucking clean. it runs perfect, no rattles, no noises, no weird shit and i've been driving for about a year now. So with all this in mind... does it ever become ok to sell a salvage car for decent money? I mean I wouldn't sell mine for less than like $6000 right now. It's got like 175,000 on the b16a, but you look in the bay and inside, and it looks like brand new.

Anyway... discuss.

eraser4g63
05-18-2009, 11:32 AM
The issue with salvage title with most buyers is the fact that it has been hit hard enough to do serious damage, though in your case it seems like the adjuster was a douche bag. I do know that some Insurance companies will not offer full coverage on a salvage title. I know most people will not want to spend the money on Full coverage but why put a ton of money into a car and let it disappear when the car is stolen or wrecked?

oneSLOWex
05-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Its sucks....but its probably gonna make it a problem selling it because most people get scared off by the title being the way it is. Do you have pics of the damage before the repair?

toxxxic
05-18-2009, 11:39 AM
I thought that once a "totalled" car is fixed, you can have it reinspected & get a "rebuilt" title.

silversol
05-18-2009, 11:46 AM
people make a big deal about cars haveing a rebuilt title when it really not. with all the carfax fear commercials people think it was burned to the ground and fixed or rolled 85 times and fixed! when we all know those cars will never be fixed. but cars like your 10year old delsol its cheaper for the insurance company to total because it might be 800$ in parts to fix just the bumper cover. then the 75$ hour body shop fees that will take 10hrs to fix. do the math on a car that kbb says is worth 4k? they will not pay to fix it. but you will still get the asshole buyers that will want you to give it away because it has a rebuilt title.

GSRtegŪ
05-18-2009, 11:49 AM
people make a big deal about cars haveing a rebuilt title when it really not. with all the carfax fear commercials people think it was burned to the ground and fixed or rolled 85 times and fixed! when we all know those cars will never be fixed. but cars like your 10year old delsol its cheaper for the insurance company to total because it might be 800$ in parts to fix just the bumper cover. then the 75$ hour body shop fees that will take 10hrs to fix. do the math on a car that kbb says is worth 4k? they will not pay to fix it. but you will still get the asshole buyers that will want you to give it away because it has a rebuilt title.

Well said!

Bus Driver J
05-18-2009, 12:26 PM
hmmm, I thought once a car was "totaled" it was not able to be put on the streets unless it was reinspected. So you were able to get basic insurance on your totaled car? I fuckin wish I knew that a couple months ago.....

silversol
05-18-2009, 12:43 PM
salvage title car can not be taged and driven in georgia until it has been fixed and passed the state inspection! then the car will be issued a "REBUILT" title then the car can be taged and driven legaly

preferredduck
05-18-2009, 12:56 PM
The issue with salvage title with most buyers is the fact that it has been hit hard enough to do serious damage, though in your case it seems like the adjuster was a douche bag. I do know that some Insurance companies will not offer full coverage on a salvage title. I know most people will not want to spend the money on Full coverage but why put a ton of money into a car and let it disappear when the car is stolen or wrecked?

i have seen del sol's totalled b/c the rims and cd player was stolen and had the b16a in it. it happens a lot to older more rare cars that may cost more to get the parts than they think it's worth. if a car fax is pulled a i think it shows the type of collision, cost, etc on some of them.

Bus Driver J
05-18-2009, 01:00 PM
salvage title car can not be taged and driven in georgia until it has been fixed and passed the state inspection! then the car will be issued a "REBUILT" title then the car can be taged and driven legaly
OK, thats what I thought. Thanks man

Turbodude06
05-18-2009, 01:01 PM
^ Like Silversol said its cause of all these carfax commercials, everyone thinks now if it doesn't have even a clean carfax that its a peace of crap or something.... I've had people not buy one of my cars just because It had an accident report on a carfax the title was clean and the car ran great, it was the carfax that made them not buy it, personally I hate them....

BABY J
05-18-2009, 01:04 PM
I'll say this --- you need friends in the state of Kentucky who will let you use their address.

If you don't know what I mean then you're a noob. It's the only legal way to erase a salvage title that I know of.

Turbodude06
05-18-2009, 01:05 PM
^LOL:lmfao: I've heard about that.......

eraser4g63
05-18-2009, 01:08 PM
If my Rx-7 is ever in any sort of accident it will be totaled. But I have receipts for everything I have done to the car, and my insurance provider has assured me in writing that all cost will be covered for after market parts. I pay a lot of money for full coverage but its worth it.

silversol
05-18-2009, 01:13 PM
^ Like Silversol said its cause of all these carfax commercials, everyone thinks now if it doesn't have even a clean carfax that its a peace of crap or something.... I've had people not buy one of my cars just because It had an accident report on a carfax the title was clean and the car ran great, it was the carfax that made them not buy it, personally I hate them....

True 95% of the 10+ year old cars in atlanta have been in at least some kinda of accident small or large. but some people go over board because carfax sells fear and thats all. does it really matter if a 2k-5k car has had a fender or hood or even a door replaced? or a ten year old car thats had a repaint does it really matter if it was fixed correctly? I would trust a car with a rebuilt title over on that has had a wreck on carfax but still had a clean title. here is why

one with a rebuilt title has to be properly fixed and undergo a strict state inspection where they check every thing! and i mean everything!
one with clean title you dont know who fixed it or how! i have see soem jack legs screw in core supports with sheet metal screws and call it fixed!

Mr. Clean
05-18-2009, 05:13 PM
yeah mine may be a "rebuilt" title. i got it from HPC and they are a licensed rebuilder and I know it was inspected and such because I watched him fax all the papers and talk to the woman about the title lol. I could probably get pics from them... idk if they keep them on file or not. so if it says "rebuilt" i should be ight? I'll have to go get it.

preferredduck
05-18-2009, 05:32 PM
True 95% of the 10+ year old cars in atlanta have been in at least some kinda of accident small or large. but some people go over board because carfax sells fear and thats all. does it really matter if a 2k-5k car has had a fender or hood or even a door replaced? or a ten year old car thats had a repaint does it really matter if it was fixed correctly? I would trust a car with a rebuilt title over on that has had a wreck on carfax but still had a clean title. here is why

one with a rebuilt title has to be properly fixed and undergo a strict state inspection where they check every thing! and i mean everything!
one with clean title you dont know who fixed it or how! i have see soem jack legs screw in core supports with sheet metal screws and call it fixed!

amen to that. i have seen some stuff abt the same with a cleaan title car. i have had a lot of people complain about carfax reports after giving a vin. i usually say it's your loss and someone else's gain. then i find out later they got screwed on something else. but on carfax it usually says what type of collision, cost of repair etc but it scares people and if the car is done right it shouldn't matter.

93Altima
05-18-2009, 05:35 PM
yeah mine may be a "rebuilt" title. i got it from HPC and they are a licensed rebuilder and I know it was inspected and such because I watched him fax all the papers and talk to the woman about the title lol. I could probably get pics from them... idk if they keep them on file or not. so if it says "rebuilt" i should be ight? I'll have to go get it.

Well, if the car was "totaled" like they said, and it was inspected so you could register it and insure it, etc. Then its a "rebuilt" title.

:goodjob:

I could careless if a 10+ yr old car has a rebuilt/salvage/clean title, as long as I can insure/register it.

Mr. Clean
05-18-2009, 09:08 PM
word then it's def. considered "rebuilt"

93Altima
05-18-2009, 09:13 PM
word then it's def. considered "rebuilt"

Yeah, don't say salvage, cause people will think that they have to get it inspected..