PDA

View Full Version : General Chat GM might move to CHINA? WTF

Atlblkz06
05-18-2009, 08:13 AM
"Now facing bankruptcy, GM has an opportunity to shift its operations to China, its fastest growing and most profitable market. The company is already attempting to move its manufacturing operations to the Asian powerhouse, and that has given rise to speculation that it will move its headquarters as well.

Of course, if GM – which has already received $15.4 in government loans – were to pick up stakes, the political fallout would be epic. What could be more “un-American” than a 101 year-old American automotive company that’s being propped up by taxpayer dollars moving to a communist nation?

But the reality is that American consumers aren’t buying GM vehicles and Chinese consumers are. That means if the company is going to remain viable, China, not America, is GM’s land of opportunity."

Full article here (http://www.moneymorning.com/2009/05/18/general-motors-china/)

THAT would suck ass...We're losing enough money just from outsourcing. Now we're going to start losing American companies to Asia? That's nuts!

I think the government needs to step in and impose steep tariffs on companies that outsource shit instead of giving the job to local people.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zGAoqmJDEcU/SaNa1k5jYbI/AAAAAAAAKrs/bO1942zEMO4/s400/Made_In_China.jpg

Dr.G35
05-18-2009, 08:23 AM
I think the government needs to step in and impose steep tariffs on outsourcing shit instead of giving the job to local people.
agreed

BKgen®
05-18-2009, 09:02 AM
wow...

Jimmy B
05-18-2009, 09:12 AM
most of the products in my industry are made in china, only 2 other companys are here in the states that produce the same thing as i do, and as a manufacture, only 5 at most produce anything here in the US.. I have started ordering soft goods from china myself..

Bigt8aford
05-18-2009, 09:16 AM
well if they do move and make it over therem then the other 2 will soon follow, we really should try to prevent that from happing! AMERICA FUCK YEAH!

Vteckidd
05-18-2009, 09:47 AM
I think that is great! About time they did something smart. HMMMMM lets think about this for a moment

OPTION 1

Stay in a country where our products are subpar, unprofitable, and the overpowering unions make it impossible for us to make money. Continue to take taxpayer money and pray that the consumer decides they want to buy our product even with the stigma of BANKRUPTCY hanging over our heads........Obama telling us HOW to run our company

OPTION 2
Move to a country that is actually buying our products , out of reach of the unions hands, PROFIT

Yup, im gonna go with option 2. You want GM to stay in the uSA? Get rid of the UNIONS so they can make a car that is competitive and profitable. Otherwise STFU with this AMERICA FUCK YEAH attitude

WhiteAccord
05-18-2009, 09:49 AM
America is a joke.

hondachik
05-18-2009, 09:50 AM
LMAO. So then GM will then be considered an import vehicle. LOLZ.

WhiteAccord
05-18-2009, 09:51 AM

Check out my JDM Chevy....

Vteckidd
05-18-2009, 09:52 AM
I think the government needs to step in and impose steep tariffs on companies that outsource shit instead of giving the job to local people.

Please return your:
Flatscreen TV
Cell Phone
DVDs
CDs
Microwave
Towels
Tires
Playstation/Xbox
Computer
Surround Sound
Cell Phone Charger
Clothing
Furniture
Plates/Tupperware
etcetcetc

If you own any of those things, you supported business in China. People that say OH OUTSOURCING IS SO BAD!!! you realize if it was made in AMerica the price would be 5 times as much right? If thats what you want, BRING IT ON!

They very subject we are talking about , CARS MADE IN AMERICA ARE FAILING , WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO MAKE ANYTHING ELSE IN AMERICA?

We like our $199 Iphones, $900 Plasmas, $300 PS3s, $300 Laptops. How do you think we get those items that cheap? Manufactured overseas.

We went from a production to a consumer society over 20 years ago. You cant simply stop and reverse that without major consequences. Youre talking about putting Wal Mart out of business here, fuck the car companies.

No the answer is to abolish the corporate tax all together. People WANT to move here, but they wont, because our tax rate is one of the highest in the world. We force people to move out of country

Atlblkz06
05-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Unions are leeching the hell out of these companies. I guess they don't understand that they're like wood worms to the hull of a wooden ship adrift in the ocean. The dumbasses are killing the company and sealing their own fate.

Vteckidd
05-18-2009, 09:54 AM
Unions are leeching the hell out of these companies. I guess they don't understand that they're like wood worms to the hull of a wooden ship adrift in the ocean. The dumbasses are killing the company and sealing their own fate.
100000% Agreed

so the company has no choice, leave, or go under.

stillaneon
05-18-2009, 09:54 AM
I think that is great! About time they did something smart. HMMMMM lets think about this for a moment

OPTION 1

Stay in a country where our products are subpar, unprofitable, and the overpowering unions make it impossible for us to make money. Continue to take taxpayer money and pray that the consumer decides they want to buy our product even with the stigma of BANKRUPTCY hanging over our heads........Obama telling us HOW to run our company

OPTION 2
Move to a country that is actually buying our products , out of reach of the unions hands, PROFIT

Yup, im gonna go with option 2. You want GM to stay in the uSA? Get rid of the UNIONS so they can make a car that is competitive and profitable. Otherwise STFU with this AMERICA FUCK YEAH attitude.

I agree completely.

Unions really fuck things up.

It's great for the individual in the union because you are covered no matter what, but companies like Chrysler, are so afraid of pissing the Unions off, they continuously give money away just to keep their employees happy.

If you get a job working for 14 bucks an hour building a car, then you agreed to work for 14 bucks an hour. dont bitch about your income to your union leader.

Maybe if GM moves, they can wake up everyone else and make them realize that they dont need these unions after all.

It would be a great motivator if I worked for Ford or Chrysler to drop the union if I knew, "Hey, it's either a pay cut by dropping my union, or an income loss when my employers hops overseas."

EJ25RUN
05-18-2009, 09:58 AM
If you look at where many of the GMs sold in the U.S. were assembled, you'd have your answer.

Atlblkz06
05-18-2009, 10:00 AM
If you own any of those things, you supported business in China. People that say OH OUTSOURCING IS SO BAD!!! you realize if it was made in AMerica the price would be 5 times as much right? If thats what you want, BRING IT ON!

My post was unclear. I was just thinking about outsourcing of services, not products. Compared to 10 years ago - people have chosen quantity over quality. Customer service outsourcing is one thing that really pisses me off.

These days people want cheap gizmo bullshit in their cell phones - no complains about dropped calls! I WILL PAY for a cell phone worth paying for. I DO NOT WANT cheap shitty products. However the US demands cheap goods so that's the supply that develops. The auto industry does not set the benchmark for American products in general, so that argument is invalid. I think products are artifically cheap because of how China is undercutting everyone and playing and UNFAIR game.

hondachik
05-18-2009, 10:04 AM
If you look at where many of the GMs sold in the U.S. were assembled, you'd have your answer.

I dont buy american made vehicles, therefore i honestly could careless where it would be made. (no offense). regardless of where they were assembled, its still considered an american vehicle. just like my accord was made in the us, but its still an import vehicle.

Vteckidd
05-18-2009, 10:06 AM
WHether the game is unfair or not, its the game. It is what it is. You either play by it, or you sit out.

I get GRILLED all the time over my headers, which are obviously made overseas in mass quantities. The US fabricators are bitching that my product is cheap and not as nice as theirs. But mine is 1/4 the cost, and i prob make more money on 1 unit than they do.

Im not supposed to adapt to THEM, they are supposed to adapt to ME. When the BULK of your competition is going overseas, making headers for 1/4 the cost of the US competitiors. 2 things are going to happen

1) THe Customer is going to say "i want the US product" and the china people go out of business
2) The customer is going to say "i want the China product " and the US people go out of business.

so for #2 is what is occurring. The customer has dictated the quality, contruction, etc is good enough for them to spend 1/4 the price of the uS good

Atlblkz06
05-18-2009, 10:07 AM
I dont buy american made vehicles, therefore i honestly could careless where it would be made. (no offense). regardless of where they were assembled, its still considered an american vehicle. just like my accord was made in the us, but its still an import vehicle.

So you're admitting to being an automotive equivalent of a racist bigot? lol

hondachik
05-18-2009, 10:14 AM
So you're admitting to being an automotive equivalent of a racist bigot? lol

yes

I'm an automotive racist.

Atlblkz06
05-18-2009, 10:16 AM
WHether the game is unfair or not, its the game. It is what it is. You either play by it, or you sit out.

I get GRILLED all the time over my headers, which are obviously made overseas in mass quantities. The US fabricators are bitching that my product is cheap and not as nice as theirs. But mine is 1/4 the cost, and i prob make more money on 1 unit than they do.

Im not supposed to adapt to THEM, they are supposed to adapt to ME. When the BULK of your competition is going overseas, making headers for 1/4 the cost of the US competitiors. 2 things are going to happen

1) THe Customer is going to say "i want the US product" and the china people go out of business
2) The customer is going to say "i want the China product " and the US people go out of business.

so for #2 is what is occurring. The customer has dictated the quality, contruction, etc is good enough for them to spend 1/4 the price of the uS good

That is what I have a problem with. However I might as well go bash my head against a brick wall... I'll take the BETTER MADE (american or import) product over Option 2. This usually ends up being a Japanese import lol.

Vteckidd
05-18-2009, 10:39 AM
That is what I have a problem with. However I might as well go bash my head against a brick wall... I'll take the BETTER MADE (american or import) product over Option 2. This usually ends up being a Japanese import lol.

Exactly :)

Now go look at CHINA cars, for the most part they suck lol. But its because poeple are greedy.

I could make my headers for $20 a piece, and i would have a 50-60% failure rate. But i would make ALOT more money. I CHOOSE to pay ALOT more per header, so i have better quality and i dont get a name synonamous with JUNK.

GM could produce cars very cheap, but of decent quality in China, and prob stack FAT CASH which is what they need. I Mean, hell if they could make stacks of money in china, all the faster to pay us back right?

as we discussed on AIM, i can honestly see GM leaving to go overseas for a decade, while the Unions break and faulter. They are going to go make some money, improve their product, and come back when the economic climate isnt so bad.

IMO of course

On_Her_Face
05-18-2009, 11:31 AM

Bowling Green, Kentucky!

...and Canada, fml. (excludes Z06/Zr1)

Brett
05-18-2009, 04:12 PM
As long as they would still make the Corvette and Camaro, I can care less where the fuckin things are built.

Crazy Asian
05-18-2009, 04:23 PM
GCM=General China Motor.

DynamicSound
05-18-2009, 04:33 PM

What, so that the company can sink deeper into debt and completely go out of business?

DynamicSound
05-18-2009, 04:40 PM

I am with you, I would never buy an American car. LOL, I don't care how much "detroit muscle" it has.

HypnoToad
05-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Bowling Green, Kentucky!

...and Canada, fml. (excludes Z06/Zr1)

my chevy is a all metal car built in cali.......

maybe when the union looses all thier jobs they will see how damn greedy they were.

and gm does not make bad cars,just look at the rings times...u will see the crappy american cobalt SS is faster than the E46 M3 and EVO 10...hmm,how could that be

Atlblkz06
05-18-2009, 06:07 PM
What, so that the company can sink deeper into debt and completely go out of business?

I should edit my previous post - I was primarily thinking about services (especially customer service) when I said this. they're saving about 30-50% on the bill, but the quality has dropped to 20% (IMO).

DELL had AMAZING customer service about 10 years ago. It's one of the worst now, especially after the switch to India.

The American local population provides MUCH better customer service because the communication gap is greatly minimized. On top of that - it keeps the money within the country. All other countries impose such tariffs - for very good reasons.

The UAW can burn in hell. I've seen the kinda work they do. It's DEFINITELY not worth more than $10/hr. saw bring in machines and fire em. Tooled robots are cheap at ~100k (~20/hr) so they can easily save money in the long run. Keep in mind that human workers that make 20/hr actually cost the company ~30/hr and their productivity pales in comparison to a robot.

The Ninja
05-18-2009, 06:11 PM
AMERICA~!!!! FUCK YOU~!!!!!

"B"
05-18-2009, 08:02 PM
"

Just like a dumb fucking liberal.

How about easing all the regulations on business so that they can opperate freely and CHEAPER as opposed to TAXING THEM MORE?

Fucking idiots.

Atlblkz06
05-18-2009, 10:21 PM

How about easing all the regulations on business so that they can opperate freely and CHEAPER as opposed to TAXING THEM MORE?

Fucking idiots.

Operate freely and CHEAPER? We do not have the mapower to compete with china and India.

You're also convinced that other countries will play fair. Good luck with that. China is already cheating.

DynamicSound
05-18-2009, 10:55 PM
In the end, Unions need to be erased completely because they have no purpose since the whole reason of their creation was to mainly protect the workers which now there are laws to do that. So unless they are removed, the automakers will not be successful here. I am not saying that moving to China is going to be the smartest or best move for the United States, but it might be for the company itself.

RL...
05-19-2009, 12:32 AM
"Now facing bankruptcy, GM has an opportunity to shift its operations to China, its fastest growing and most profitable market. The company is already attempting to move its manufacturing operations to the Asian powerhouse, and that has given rise to speculation that it will move its headquarters as well.

Of course, if GM – which has already received $15.4 in government loans – were to pick up stakes, the political fallout would be epic. What could be more “un-American” than a 101 year-old American automotive company that’s being propped up by taxpayer dollars moving to a communist nation?

But the reality is that American consumers aren’t buying GM vehicles and Chinese consumers are. That means if the company is going to remain viable, China, not America, is GM’s land of opportunity."

Full article here (http://www.moneymorning.com/2009/05/18/general-motors-china/)

THAT would suck ass...We're losing enough money just from outsourcing. Now we're going to start losing American companies to Asia? That's nuts!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zGAoqmJDEcU/SaNa1k5jYbI/AAAAAAAAKrs/bO1942zEMO4/s400/Made_In_China.jpg

nah, I jsut don't think the gov should bail them out. It's unfair to bailout these companys without bailing all of us out as americans. fuck that shit... I'm not expecting any handouts but the trillions the gov used for comapanys like gm and such could have been used more wisely

RL...
05-19-2009, 12:34 AM

Fucking idiots.

conservatists and liberals both have their inadequecies, and shortsightedness

tony
05-19-2009, 06:31 AM

Fucking idiots.

Its funny you come in calling him a dumb f'n liberal then you go on your conservative rant, bringing yourself to the level that you imposed on him; idiocy.

You know what happens when you loosen regulations? You get Lehman Brothers, AIG, Enron, Subprime mortgage crisis, the bottom falling out of the financial sector. Yes, businesses need to be able to work without harsh regulations imposed but obviously there have not been enough over the past few years.

As for GM, its economics. They simply do not put out a product or service that can compete on their own home turf so they have to leave. Unfortunately the structure of business here in the U.S with Unions and Minimum Wages do not help but ultimately they knew the rules, they had the help of the Federal Government and still lost. Toyota, Hyundai, Nissan, Honda all seem to be able to make it work here, even Ford so theres no excuses like "Loosen regulations."

Be more respectful in your posts as well, theres no point in insulting someone simply for their opinion.

conservatists and liberals both have their inadequecies, and shortsightedness

Reps (looks like you need them)

green91
05-20-2009, 06:59 PM
The fact is that auto demand (in the bigger picture) isn't going to reduce any time soon guys.. The people who would buy GM's but can't will just go elsewhere.. most american fanatics will likely switch to a FORD and many new people will open up im Imports, Where a company like Toyota REALLY stands to take off in this. The pie isn't going to get smaller.. the pieces of the pie will just get larger for those involved. Increased demand = increased jobs etc. It will level itself out in the end.

ttman
05-21-2009, 07:30 PM
GM needs to restructure by FIRING ALL UNION PERSONNEL!!!

Frög
05-21-2009, 11:11 PM
LOL All that bailout money, all our dollars, to china..

DUBSf22c
05-21-2009, 11:12 PM
Yup, im gonna go with option 2. You want GM to stay in the uSA? Get rid of the UNIONS so they can make a car that is competitive and profitable. Otherwise STFU with this AMERICA FUCK YEAH attitude

bad for short term job loss but better in the long run..

DUBSf22c
05-21-2009, 11:16 PM
and gm does not make bad cars,just look at the rings times...u will see the crappy american cobalt SS is faster than the E46 M3 and EVO 10...hmm,how could that be

and the new sti

armyed
06-01-2009, 11:09 AM
china has no emissions laws when it comes manufacturing goods(In their country of course), we have one of the highest corporate tax's in the world. We have unions that are there to not protect the workers but to fill there pockets and suck the companies dry. We have minimum wage. All these things are killing our competitiveness against foreign companies. And as of right now the Dems want raise tax's on corps even higher. Ford is hanging in there but by no means are they profitable yet. Get the government to let U.S companies be competitive and they will be. Stop tieing American companies hands and making them go out of the country to be able to survive and business will boom. Make the Corp tax 0%, Give companies there rights back and companies will come to the states from around the world very fast and jobs will sky rocket. Believe that

eraser4g63
06-01-2009, 03:47 PM
It is not just the unions fault, think also about all the people who got cars they could not afford. Sure they could make the payments while their ARMs were low. But oops as promised their payments went up and WTF now they cant afford their car payments. They unions are the majority of the problem the other part of this puzzle is the quality of the cars and the repossession of all the ones that they financed though GM itself.