PDA

View Full Version : VW 1968 1600cc motor questions

yogi08
05-17-2009, 03:59 AM
Okay i have this motor on something i own, but for awhile its had this "tick/click" noise randomly... mainly when in 4th gear, some in 3rd but right before i started to shoot the flames ill mention later, it did as well in 1st and 2nd. But now it pops and shoots flames, also making that ticking noise constantly. like a weird knock... piston knock? :( any help is appreciated... this is a new world for me ;)

so, also... its leaking some fluid.. havent found on what it isyet, ill figure out later on. definitely not oil.

also. reverse pops out when on an incline... anything yall know about this?

thanks for all the help!

silversol
05-17-2009, 08:08 AM
its a aircooled motor and the valve clearences are bigger than a water cooled motor so they all will have that tick/click noises!

$9ktt
05-17-2009, 10:20 AM
^ What he said. Check your valve clearances. They are staying open too long and the flames are from the unburnt gas exiting the exhaust valves.

VW's are known to "MARK" their territory. You r either leaking oil, very common. Or trans
fluid, sounds like it needs trans work from your post.

Good thing is the VW boxer engines are CHEAP and EASY to work on. I had mine out the Bug and disassembled in 30 mins !!!

B

ps: pics of what it's in !!!! A sand rail or kit car mayhaps ?

Gutling
05-17-2009, 10:22 AM
i just got done rebuilding a 1600cc and got another to go lol, if you want i can swing by and help you check out and adjust the valves or see if its something else.

yogi08
05-17-2009, 11:30 AM
gutling!!! lifesaver man haha.

it is sitting at the county line right now, my friend who was riding with me works there... we are picking it up later on this afternoon and bringing it to my house. where do you rebuild these 1600cc motors anyways?

thanks for the help silversol :D :up:

9ktt: ill pm you a pic man... thanks for the help!! i had my doubts about anyone on here knowing these motors.

Gutling
05-17-2009, 11:34 AM
my garage, i got a 72 ghia and a 72 super beetle. tommorow i got to ride to sav in the morning and calhoun in the evening lol so going to be busy, but tuesday i can check it out for you. i got a bunch of extra gaskets for misc things so if i can find the leak i might have a new gasket.
heres the thread of me rebuilding the ghia
http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214397

yogi08
05-17-2009, 11:49 AM
sweet man! you not doing summer classes?

heres pictures:
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k223/weik2hatcher/Dons%20Stuff/PICT9673.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k223/weik2hatcher/Dons%20Stuff/PICT9676.jpg

yogi08
05-17-2009, 05:24 PM
oh yeah thats not me in the pictures, thats the previous owner. gutling knows im not that old LOL

X-Runner
05-17-2009, 05:33 PM
I looked at that when it was up on CL... nice buggy.

yogi08
05-17-2009, 05:44 PM
he reminded me a lot of someone i know, he was a great business guy... he brought it to me because i drove all the way up there to test drive it.

yogi08
05-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Now it won't stay crunk up... What's that mean? Grrrr

yogi08
05-19-2009, 12:32 PM
havent been able to get ahold of gutling, so i may try and start tackling some of this myself. anyone got a DIY or tip guide for these motor?

$9ktt
05-19-2009, 08:37 PM
havent been able to get ahold of gutling, so i may try and start tackling some of this myself. anyone got a DIY or tip guide for these motor?

How to keep your Volkswagen Alive by John Muir !!!! Our BIBLE !!!!
http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Volkswagen-Alive-Step-Step/dp/1566913101#

Another must have book is the VW BENTLEY manual. NOT HAYNES or that other one.

That motor is SO easy to work on. Check your fuel pump. Is it still
mechanical ? Thingy between the dizzy and the alternator.

Looks like you have Webers, maybe have an electric fuel pump?
Check for a fuel filter in the gas line too.

Did you get those valves checked ? Don't won't to run it too long like it is.
Aircooled motors don't like overheating.

B

yogi08
05-22-2009, 04:15 AM
i have a fuel filter in the gas line under the tank.

valves were checked, and fixed.

now bigger problems, apperantly the previous owner put an insert into the block where a head stud stripped out. soo now i may need a new block :(

it still wont run right... we have put in new plugs and wires... still wont fire right. all cylinders have great compression.

help if yall can forreal, it is greatly appreciated.

$9ktt
06-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Case savers are a common thing with vw's no big problem.
Check the dizzy. Timing correct? It can be 180 out and run...like crap.
Still have points ? Or electronic ign.?

Those carbs may also need cleaning/adjustment.

B