PDA

View Full Version : General Chat E92/93 m3 fail

Frög
05-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Wow, test drove one.. Manual of course, and what a disappointment..

Almost felt like an American car with that V8.. It really sucked, it wasn't fast, it was heavy, and it is outrageously overpriced.. Only thing I can give to it is the sound when you start that thing..

335 coupe all the way..

E90, no comment..

BMW, quit fucking up already.. :screwy:

gtrmonkey
05-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Ummm.....

WuT?

gtrmonkey
05-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Thing really suppose to handle. Also 6sp FTL. MDCT is where it now man. What did you expect like a Str8 line performance of a Vette.

Frög
05-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Thing really suppose to handle. Also 6sp FTL. MDCT is where it now man. What did you expect like a Str8 line performance of a Vette.

Clutch is where it now man.. Trust me..

81911SC
05-16-2009, 01:02 PM
I doubt he's even sat in one or drove one so I'll take Frog's word on this.

matthewAPM
05-16-2009, 01:16 PM
E36 is the last of the good M3's IMHO.

gtrmonkey
05-16-2009, 01:17 PM
LOL WUT?

You seriously doubt I Ever Driven one.

It wasn't blazing fast. It was what I expected it to be, just an avg. all around car. That look great. I like the DCT more, personally, I hope they get that lag issue resloved with it. Anyways I don't think it over priced. The Rs4 and Merc around the same price range. Both have v8, Both are not blinding fast. The M3 is the better out of the 3. I believe. I just hate when people think if it doesn't beat the z06 then it and it 60k it overpriced. Lol Z06 hands down is the bang for the buck and then again is the m3 really in the same cat.

Anyways MDCT is the Future.

gtrmonkey
05-16-2009, 01:23 PM
I any ways I don't feel like trying to defend myself. I just had a different experence with the M3.

_Christian_
05-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Also 6sp FTL.
:slap:

MDCT is where it now man. What did you expect like a Str8 line performance of a Vette.

I just hate when people think if it doesn't beat the z06 then it and it 60k it overpriced. Lol Z06 hands down is the bang for the buck and then again is the m3 really in the same cat.

Who said anything about Corvettes? And I don't think cares that much about straight line speed...look at his sig ;) What I took from it is that it feels like a pig to drive.

Clutch is where it now man.. Trust me..
x2. I could never be happy without, I don't care if it's faster.

Frög
05-17-2009, 09:05 AM
^^ what he said..

E36 is the last of the good M3's IMHO.

I agree.. Even though I would rock a E46, the E36 (though slower) is so much more fun..

Elbow
05-17-2009, 09:14 AM
Yeah I didn't like the new M3 either, I do like E46's.

Kaiser
05-18-2009, 04:26 PM
I'm of the opinion that the new M3 is something meant more for us on this side of the pond. I'm sure it handles well and all when it's pushed to the limit...but I'm more concerned with what it feels like on a day-to-day drive. Because of that, I'll take Frog's word for it. Why would he lie? Not like he has a bias against German cars...

allmotoronly
05-18-2009, 04:47 PM
LOL WUT?

You seriously doubt I Ever Driven one.

It wasn't blazing fast. It was what I expected it to be, just an avg. all around car. That look great. I like the DCT more, personally, I hope they get that lag issue resloved with it. Anyways I don't think it over priced. The Rs4 and Merc around the same price range. Both have v8, Both are not blinding fast. The M3 is the better out of the 3. I believe. I just hate when people think if it doesn't beat the z06 then it and it 60k it overpriced. Lol Z06 hands down is the bang for the buck and then again is the m3 really in the same cat.

First off, grammar and punctuation own you.

Second off, Considering again that you type like a 12 year old kid, I highly doubt you have even driven an e92 M3.

Third off, Frog's opinion highly outweighs yours. He has no reason to lie.

Cool Cat Racing
05-18-2009, 07:51 PM
They are nice cars to drive but they aren't anywhere near what they used to be. They have grown every generation and put too much luxury in them. They need to get back to the light weight, tossable cars they use to have. I'm also in the 335 FTW group. Stock its lighter and much cheaper, and only a bit slower on anything but a wide open track. For only a little money you can be as fast and still be less than the M3. With an aftermarket exhaust the 335's sound wonderful but I will still have to give the nod to the M3 for exhaust sound, opened up a bit and they sound oh so nice.

koukis14
05-18-2009, 08:00 PM
Also 6sp FTL. MDCT is where it now man.

That is a fantastic way to lose any credibility on an automotive forum. I don't give two shits if they use that crap in F1 or not. Any true enthusiast would take three pedals over two any day. There is a reason it is called the man pedal. The only reason to get a performance car with a dual clutch transmission is if it is going to be a track car where never ever making a mistake shifting counts. Or if your a complete cock bag....

RL...
05-18-2009, 09:05 PM
That is a fantastic way to lose any credibility on an automotive forum. I don't give two shits if they use that crap in F1 or not. Any true enthusiast would take three pedals over two any day. There is a reason it is called the man pedal. The only reason to get a performance car with a dual clutch transmission is if it is going to be a track car where never ever making a mistake shifting counts. Or if your a complete cock bag....

Do you really think havign a manual car makes you more of a man..because that is what seemed implied by your post?

Paddle shifting can be just as fun, as long as the driver controls when the car shifts I do not see the difference in throwing a lever around on your center console, or your steering wheel.

koukis14
05-19-2009, 07:05 AM
Do you really think havign a manual car makes you more of a man..because that is what seemed implied by your post?

Paddle shifting can be just as fun, as long as the driver controls when the car shifts I do not see the difference in throwing a lever around on your center console, or your steering wheel.

Sorry I didn't know you were a chick. I usually don't talk to women that way.

gtrmonkey
05-19-2009, 02:19 PM

Your the type of people that make me wish I never own a 240sx or anything nissan at all. Dude read what the fuck you said, Manuel is going out and DCT is coming in. Basically a I heard was man if anything make a car easier to drive then it make you a chick.

The Creeper
05-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Your the type of people that make me wish I never own a 240sx or anything nissan at all. Dude read what the fuck you said, Manuel is going out and DCT is coming in. Basically a I heard was man if anything make a car easier to drive then it make you a chick.

I agree with you. How does driving a manual make you more of a man, or some race car driver? Like all these people with stockish civics that HAVE to get a manual. I mean c'mon, it doesn't make you or the car any cooler. Paddle shifters are where it's at, especially on really expensive cars where the shifters shift faster than anyone driving a stick.

gtrmonkey
05-19-2009, 02:30 PM
First off, grammar and punctuation own you.

Second off, Considering again that you type like a 12 year old kid, I highly doubt you have even driven an e92 M3.

Third off, Frog's opinion highly outweighs yours. He has no reason to lie.

Lol ok bro, Bang on my typing great logical attack.

First off Frog had different expectation for this car then I did. So My thought are different then his.

Second off do you see where the fuck I live dumb shit. I am around cars like this 24/7. Not to be cocky or anything.

I never accused frog of lieing. He expected a monster track car and I never did. Second you can't compare this car experince to a 911 or z06 or cayman or gtr or what not. IS the Rs4 a Track monster, NO, IS the C65amg a Track monster, NO! IS the M3 E90 a track monster, NO!

I never said it was blindly fast, but for practical purpose and a fun car. Yes it is.

I am pretty sure Frog is flatter by your E-love for him. He might even give you a cookie.

gtrmonkey
05-19-2009, 02:33 PM
:slap:

Who said anything about Corvettes? And I don't think cares that much about straight line speed...look at his sig ;) What I took from it is that it feels like a pig to drive.

x2. I could never be happy without, I don't care if it's faster.

To all motor, Take some notes from Christian. He knows how to attack.

gtrmonkey
05-19-2009, 02:34 PM
I agree with you. How does driving a manual make you more of a man, or some race car driver? Like all these people with stockish civics that HAVE to get a manual. I mean c'mon, it doesn't make you or the car any cooler. Paddle shifters are where it's at, especially on really expensive cars where the shifters shift faster than anyone driving a stick.

Yea man, I am tired of all of this racer manuel crap. lol

The Creeper
05-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Yea man, I am tired of all of this racer manuel crap. lol

Yea, I mean my car is a stick because it was only made with a 6-spd, but I would prefer a double clutch paddle shifter system over it any day of the week.

gtrmonkey
05-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Same here. lol Expect it was ethier 4spd auto or 5spd manuel. I chose the 5spd.

Meatball546
05-19-2009, 04:18 PM

Allow me to voice my opinion here.

I drive a conventional manual car. I do like it, but that's probably mostly due to the way I drive it. I enjoy blasting through mountain roads and taking random drives whenever the mood takes me, and a manual gearbox is great for that. I have been stuck in hours of backed up traffic and driven around slow cities, and I realize there is a time and a place for an automatic or automated manual. It really depends on the kind of driving you do.

I believe I can speak for most of us on the forum when I say that we like to drive fast. Now when it comes to driving fast, you can go old school with the conventional manual gearbox with a clutch pedal and gear shifter or you can make a compromise for daily comfort by opting for something with a torque converter or automated clutch. True, they may not be quite up to the level of driving fun, reliability and fuel economy that conventional manuals provide, but in heavy traffic and daily city driving, I'd much rather have something automatic.

I have never driven a car with a good paddle select system like Audi's or BMW's. It seems like a really intriguing concept to me, and until I get the opportunity to drive it, I can't dismiss those systems as being worse than either a conventional manual or a conventional automatic.

Remember also that everyone is entitled to his own opinion. I don't see how a preference for an automatic loses an individual's credibility in a community. He may well know more about cars than all of us do.

Regarding the new E92 M3, I am a HUGE fan. I am also a HUGE fan of the E36 and E46 models as well. To choose favorites, again, I'd have to drive each one. The M3s in the past have always been about handling, and from what I've read about the new one, things are no different. I'd much rather have a car that handles well than an outright fast car in the straights. But as long as it handles well, it doesn't hurt to have a big engine...

Kaiser
05-19-2009, 05:56 PM
I never accused frog of lieing. He expected a monster track car and I never did. Second you can't compare this car experince to a 911 or z06 or cayman or gtr or what not. IS the Rs4 a Track monster, NO, IS the C65amg a Track monster, NO! IS the M3 E90 a track monster, NO!

B5 RS4 was meant to compete with the super-wagon BMW was building at the time. Built for Autobahn speed. The new RS4's follow that tradition.

C65 AMG is a luxury Benz with a big engine in it.

The M3's started with the E30 and had a tiny little four cylinder that whines it's heart out as you wind it up, it sings when you're running high-RPM's through twisty roads. It was proof that you didn't need a huge engine to go quick. The E30 3-series even had a bigger engine version in the lineup. The M3 was faster. Now we go through the other two generations and watch a progression from the E30 to something more akin to what the RS4 and the AMG stuff has always been. It's not a bad thing for BMW when they look at their sales figures. There's a reason why. However it is a sad day for M3-purists to see the M3 take a position a whole lot closer to what the M5 was, and it's mostly because the cars have all just gotten so much bigger.

Personally, I hope BMW gives us a real 1-series M-version with a four/six or something smaller based more around being light and nimble. Would be a good return to things.

koukis14
05-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Like I said if I had to choose between a conventional manual and a dual clutch set up for a race car there is no question I would go dual clutch. For pure driving pleasure I cannot comprehend someone calling themselves an enthusiast and not have that direct connection with the vehicle.

koukis14
05-19-2009, 07:22 PM

I owned my first 240 before you knew what one was kid. I have owned 8 Nissans and was a Nissan technician for a while. You can take your ignorant holier than thou comments a use them to clean the sand out of your vagina.

gtrmonkey
05-19-2009, 11:15 PM
B5 RS4 was meant to compete with the super-wagon BMW was building at the time. Built for Autobahn speed. The new RS4's follow that tradition.

C65 AMG is a luxury Benz with a big engine in it.

The M3's started with the E30 and had a tiny little four cylinder that whines it's heart out as you wind it up, it sings when you're running high-RPM's through twisty roads. It was proof that you didn't need a huge engine to go quick. The E30 3-series even had a bigger engine version in the lineup. The M3 was faster. Now we go through the other two generations and watch a progression from the E30 to something more akin to what the RS4 and the AMG stuff has always been. It's not a bad thing for BMW when they look at their sales figures. There's a reason why. However it is a sad day for M3-purists to see the M3 take a position a whole lot closer to what the M5 was, and it's mostly because the cars have all just gotten so much bigger.

Personally, I hope BMW gives us a real 1-series M-version with a four/six or something smaller based more around being light and nimble. Would be a good return to things.

lol dude what are you trying to talk about your all over the place. That where the new m3 fits man. With those cars I sayed above. I do agree bmw is more focus on sales then there race pregree. lol

OnURleft
05-20-2009, 01:22 AM
Honestly dude, you must know nada about driving. I'm going to leave it at that because your post had about as much content as that, except it stated no fact. The car is night and day better than an E46 M3 in almost every respect. Besides the Evo E30/E36's which never even came here it's by far my favorite "drivers car" M3 to drive. BMW did it RIGHT with that one sans the curb weight (unless spec'd with carbon roof/manual seats).

87 Turbo II
05-20-2009, 07:00 AM
Dinan tuned 335 w/ M3 suspension and handling bits FTW

gtrmonkey
05-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Honestly dude, you must know nada about driving. I'm going to leave it at that because your post had about as much content as that, except it stated no fact. The car is night and day better than an E46 M3 in almost every respect. Besides the Evo E30/E36's which never even came here it's by far my favorite "drivers car" M3 to drive. BMW did it RIGHT with that one sans the curb weight (unless spec'd with carbon roof/manual seats).

Never mind I gocha

gtrmonkey
05-20-2009, 10:38 AM
I owned my first 240 before you knew what one was kid. I have owned 8 Nissans and was a Nissan technician for a while. You can take your ignorant holier than thou comments a use them to clean the sand out of your vagina.

Ok and how is that suppose to effect me. lol. Why does that matter. LOL

The Youngn
05-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Well I think everyone needs to realize what Frog is basing his comparison on. He drives a 996 and has previous gen 3 series to the e90's. I love how his 3 series handle and they're so nimble and the 996 is a nimble car as well. I haven't driven the e90's yet but I think i would have to believe what Frog is saying until I go drive one myself.

987>996

And about the paddle shifter and clutch battle thing....I personally love having a clutch. I love having a shifter. I feel that I'm in more control and in touch with the car having those two together. I'm even considering getting a Cayenne GTS in stick.

SandM
05-20-2009, 12:46 PM
wow, considering one person wrote a personal opinion of their test drive in an E92, why the hell has this turned into a nut hugger (dare I say GTR "style") debate. Everyone is going to have their personal opinion of certain things. Being as he wrote his personal opinion of this car, the correct way to have responded was with constructive criticism if you disagreed. Attacking his knowledge was unnecessary. I personally am not as knowledgeable as some of you about the M3's, so I really can't argue.
But I will state that for feeling and connectivity, I prefer a conventional manual shifter. Not saying it's the best out there and always will be, it's just my preference.

Five*Star*
05-21-2009, 01:00 AM
My cousin owns a E92 M3 with paddle shift. It's awesome! I love the way it rev-matches on downshifts, AND there is no way I could upshift that fast... if I did, then I would go through synchros constantly.

I love a stick, but seriously, as I get older, the paddle-shift seems to be just as fun. I've been driving manual cars now for 15 years and it gets kind of tiring sometimes. If my RX-8 had a transmission like the M3, it would be great for that car... it needs it. The RX-8 paddle-shift tranny is not anywhere close to what the M3 is.

It is a shame that cars keep getting heavier, but WOW, does technology ever make them grip and feel so much lighter than they are.

allmotoronly
05-21-2009, 05:05 PM
Lol ok bro, Bang on my typing great logical attack.

First off Frog had different expectation for this car then I did. So My thought are different then his.

Second off do you see where the fuck I live dumb shit. I am around cars like this 24/7. Not to be cocky or anything.

I never said it was blindly fast, but for practical purpose and a fun car. Yes it is.

I am pretty sure Frog is flatter by your E-love for him. He might even give you a cookie.

Frog had an expectation of the car that should be expected of an M vehicle. BMW's M division should go back to their roots, which were forged in racing and competition, not luxury and comfort.

I don't give a fuck where you live and what cars you are around. I could go out and buy most of the cars discussed here in this thread short of a 997 turbo. I choose not to because I would like to retire by age 40.

gtrmonkey
05-21-2009, 05:58 PM
Well the point that I am trying to make is the M divison has long been away from that. M coupe, M5, M6. Come on now. Look at those cars, lol. They had no intention of turning back to there roots.

Cool Cat Racing
05-21-2009, 07:56 PM
They can't go back to their roots without a dedicated chassis. Look at the size and weight of the cars they're building from. Even the E30 M3's had nice luxury for the day. They took the smallest/lightest chassis BMW made and made it stiffer, a bit lighter, more aerodynamic, and put some bigger wheels on it. They they made a wonderous little engine that for the day made serious power, especially in the later Evos. Even if BMW did that same thing to the current 3 series it would still be heavy. They used high tech even back then to overcome things and go faster, that's no different now. They disappoint me with every new M but without a different car they will never get back to a light nimble car.

Frög
05-21-2009, 09:40 PM
^ :goodjob:

Wow, lots of responses.. Oh and I can't read gtrmonkey's :thinking:

Know nada about driving? Why such provocative post? You don't like the fact that I criticized the M3? I am not the only one who has, and pro drivers have.. Me not liking the car has NOTHING to do with my driving experience or skill level..

There are many reasons why I feel this car did not meet my expectations..

Yes the E92 outperforms the E46.. But at what cost? Just for example (im sure you know), comparing the manual (for fair comparison) the E46 was 4.8 seconds compared to the 4.7 seconds for the E92.. I am sorry, but they easily could of kept their awesome in-line six and improved it to gain that.. Instead, they threw a huge, gas guzzling v8.. :headslap:

HypnoToad
05-21-2009, 10:22 PM
i wouldnt call 4.0L V8 huge....lol

but i like the E30 and E36,then i think they just became ugly pigs.........this coming from someone that drives a old camaro(which im sure weighs less then the E92,lol)

but ill deff take the C63 AMG over the E92

The Youngn
05-21-2009, 11:38 PM

Know nada about driving? Why such provocative post? You don't like the fact that I criticized the M3? I am not the only one who has, and pro drivers have.. Me not liking the car has NOTHING to do with my driving experience or skill level..

Yes the E92 outperforms the E46.. But at what cost? Just for example (im sure you know), comparing the manual (for fair comparison) the E46 was 4.8 seconds compared to the 4.7 seconds for the E92.. I am sorry, but they easily could of kept their awesome in-line six and improved it to gain that.. Instead, they threw a huge, gas guzzling v8.. :headslap:
Don't worry about his post. Guy said the same thing to me cuz i said the 944 was ugly as hell. Guy went on and on about it being a great track car and blah bah blah and i should be ashamed of myself for owning a Porsche. Just retarded shit cuz I called a car ugly. :screwy:

Frög
05-22-2009, 12:11 AM
i wouldnt call 4.0L V8 huge....lol

but i like the E30 and E36,then i think they just became ugly pigs.........this coming from someone that drives a old camaro(which im sure weighs less then the E92,lol)

but ill deff take the C63 AMG over the E92

For comparison, E90 is the 4 door.. I said "E90, no comment" because all this rant against the E92 does not apply to the E90 since it's a luxury sport saloon.. I hate Mercedes, I would take the rs4 :D

And I don't hate Mercedes blindly.. In every category, I would take either a BMW or Audi before a Mercedes.. My family has owned many, and they all drove like shit.. Including AMG's.. They build great cars, I would just never own one..

1SICKLEX
05-22-2009, 12:47 AM
EVO did a test of all the M cars in a comparison against one another.

The E30 won. :) As a matter of fact NONE of the new M cars were in teh top 5. The only reason the new M3 was 5th was b/c they said "its new and we give it a pass".

Frog has a point, the new "M" stands for "MASS". They are heavier and more complex then ever. BMW has sold some of its soul to sell MORE cars. They expect to sell over 100,000 M3s this go round.

DOesn't make it a bad car at all. However its not as involved as the older cars. Period.

OnURleft
05-22-2009, 01:08 AM

Wow, lots of responses.. Oh and I can't read gtrmonkey's :thinking:

Please show me were pro drivers hating on an E92... You should know, it sounds like you read lots of magazine stats, yet you argue so ignorantly with someone who actually goes out and drives these cars on the track, and has been for 5 years now. Keep jerkin' off to that magazine racing....
I was with about 3 professional drivers 2 weeks ago at a private track rental, we brought my family/instructor friends personal E92's out there, with much nicer/more hardcore cars owned by rich guys/club racers and pro drivers . It was the underdog, considering we were running it with the Scruderia, ACR Viper, GT3, 997 Turbo and others. The turn in and overall balance is of the best of its kind, like always and better than it's ever been. It was nothing short of holding its own against the best, the chassis/improved suspension geometry/overall grip and flat out 114mph traps impressed everyone even though it was the cheapest car...

Matter of fact, we ran damn scary close times to his personal E46 M3 race cars.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/95ltw/n1121400358_30099828_8479.jpg

Don't worry about his post. Guy said the same thing to me cuz i said the 944 was ugly as hell. Guy went on and on about it being a great track car and blah bah blah and i should be ashamed of myself for owning a Porsche. Just retarded shit cuz I called a car ugly. :screwy:

Nah dude, you said the car felt terrible, when it's one of the most successful club racing cars of all time, not to mention one of the best beginner track cars of all time, along with Miata's and such and best of all, not because of it's price but because of its chassis and balance.

I hated because you own a Porsche and you don't know that. It's people I love to make fun of, so much money GIVEN to you and no brain cells to be found.

Frög
05-22-2009, 01:25 AM
Please show me were pro drivers hating on an E92... You should know, it sounds like you read lots of magazine stats, yet you argue so ignorantly with someone who actually goes out and drives these cars on the track, and has been for 5 years now. Keep jerkin' off to that magazine racing....
I was with about 3 professional drivers 2 weeks ago at a private track rental, we brought my family/instructor friends personal E92's out there, with much nicer/more hardcore cars owned by rich guys/club racers and pro drivers . It was the underdog, considering we were running it with the Scruderia, ACR Viper, GT3, 997 Turbo and others. The turn in and overall balance is of the best of its kind, like always and better than it's ever been. It was nothing short of holding its own against the best, the chassis/improved suspension geometry/overall grip and flat out 114mph traps impressed everyone even though it was the cheapest car...

Matter of fact, we ran damn scary close times to his personal E46 M3 race cars.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/95ltw/n1121400358_30099828_8479.jpg

Nah dude, you said the car felt terrible, when it's one of the most successful club racing cars of all time, not to mention one of the best beginner track cars of all time, along with Miata's and such, not because of it's price but because of it's chassis and balance.

I hated because you own a Porsche and you don't know that. It's people I love to make fun of, so much money and no brain cells to be found.

I really can't believe the attitude you have and how rude you are..

But genius, did I not already acknowledge that the E92 outperformed the E46?

What I am saying is that the car does not feel the same and I prefer the previous models.. I've spoken to pro drivers that feel this way.. Not necessarily from a performance standpoint..

Fuck, you even say it in your profile "BMW M3. The good year"

Go fuck yourself with that attitude, I always thought you seemed like a nice guy.. But you being a dick like you are over me criticizing the M3 is fucking gay..

IndianStig
05-22-2009, 01:29 AM
lol ian, quit being arrogant, youngn and frog are just stating their opinions and you tear them apart

OnURleft
05-22-2009, 01:35 AM
I really can't believe the attitude you have and how rude you are..

But genius, did I not already acknowledge that the E92 outperformed the E46?

What I am saying is that the car does not feel the same and I prefer the previous models..

Fuck, you even say it in your profile "BMW M3. The good year"

Go fuck yourself with that attitude, I always thought you seemed like a nice guy.. But you being a dick like you are over me criticizing the M3 is fucking gay..

I'm not, you're just taking it personally because you don't want to admit you are completely wrong, or you were either on some illicit drug. I am stating the fact, and here is another this thread was POINTLESS. Take it or leave it, I don't care. Your opinion is like a Youtube video post, it is wtf?

The old M3's were great but in todays standard they are what they are, old, outdated, unsafe, overrated.. E30's with Evo conversions are even piss slow stock. If we had a stock E46 M3 out there we would've been absolutely trashed and probably would've had to do solo sessions or stay away from the pack.

My car may be the good M3 in my opinion, and for a track car/occasional street car (what I use it for) it is one of the best in the world for the drieer, but they've been racing it/developing aftermarket for it since 1992, it's won countless autocross/SCCA championships/NASA and even an I.P E36 M3 race car will have to be pushed to run away with an E92 M3, despite it's stock fatass and 900lb weight advantage.

lol ian, quit being arrogant, youngn and frog are just stating their opinions and you tear them apart

Lol maybe I am, oh well, but where I came from kids/friends knew what it meant to be a good car before they were in high school, not after they were in college. I had higher expectations from a Porsche owner, who's apparently been around the world x deux, speaks fifty eleven languages and tracks his car.

Frög
05-22-2009, 01:41 AM
I'm not, you're just taking it personally because you don't want to admit you are completely wrong, or you were either on some illicit drug. I am stating the fact, and here is another this thread was POINTLESS. Take it or leave it, I don't care. Your opinion is like a Youtube video post, it is wtf?

The old M3's were great but in todays standard they are what they are, old, outdated, unsafe, overrated.. E30's with Evo conversions are even piss slow stock. If we had a stock E46 M3 out there we would've been absolutely trashed and probably would've had to do solo sessions or stay away from the pack.

My car may be the good M3 in my opinion, and for a track car/occasional street car (what I use it for) it is one of the best in the world for the drieer, but they've been racing it/developing aftermarket for it since 1992, it's won countless autocross/SCCA championships/NASA and even an I.P E36 M3 race car will have to be pushed to run away with an E92 M3, despite it's stock fatass and 900lb weight advantage.

You keep looking at it from a performance standpoint.. I hate the fact that BMW went with a bulky v8.. They can make that power/weight ratio easily out of a 6 cylinder..

JITB
05-22-2009, 01:44 AM
Im not a fan of the new m3 either...ive always liked the c63 much better..this go round.
http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2007/07/mercedes_c63_amg.jpg

OnURleft
05-22-2009, 01:48 AM
You keep looking at it from a performance standpoint.. I hate the fact that BMW went with a bulky v8.. They can make that power/weight ratio easily out of a 6 cylinder..

The only M motor that is lighter then the 4.0 V8 is the S14, which is a 4 cylinder. The cars have carbon roofs now as an option, no spares, as well as more technology to reduce un-sprung weight and you can still spec it with cloth seats which puts it at an almost identical weight to a loaded 46 with a full tank of gas.

You keep looking at it from a performance standpoint

power/weight
out of a 6 cylinder

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2007/07/mercedes_c63_amg.jpg[/QUOTE]

Not going to lie, Mercedes did the C63 right. You could even argue it's night and day better than any AMG to date, although most of their new products are such an improvement.
I am fortunate enough to have a buddy who has a C300 Sport and that is a damn good/beautiful car.

Frög
05-22-2009, 02:19 AM
I have not taken the E92 around the track, so I obviously cannot comment on its performance there.. But from driving it around town, I liked the E46 and E36 better..

This is what I have been saying since the beginning..

Also, comparing the stats, BMW could of done better without compromising fuel consumption especially in these times.. What a bad move for BMW, which is why it is IMO FAIL..

They should be striving for more efficient engines and cars, rather than going along similar path to that of American cars.

OnURleft
05-22-2009, 02:27 AM
I have not taken the E92 around the track, so I obviously cannot comment on its performance there.. But from driving it around town, I liked the E46 and E36 better..

If you like simplicity/ old cars...

This is what I have been saying since the beginning..

Also, comparing the stats, BMW could of done better without compromising fuel consumption especially in these times.. What a bad move for BMW, which is why it is IMO FAIL..

They should be striving for more efficient engines and cars, rather than going along similar path to that of American cars.

As stated by BMW, the M3 will always be two cylinders less then the M5, but the days of 30mpg possibilities and 20+ in the city are gone, which is a huge shame, but it will return.

Frög
05-22-2009, 02:34 AM
If you like simplicity/ old cars...

No, I like new.. But I like nimble cars, as I remember (obviously I couldn't compare them one right after the other), the previous models were.

As stated by BMW, the M3 will always be two cylinders less then the M5, but the days of 30mpg possibilities and 20+ in the city are gone, which is a huge shame, but it will return.

And this is a HUGE factor why I feel this way about this car.. I just can't understand the logic behind the v8! :goodjob:

OnURleft
05-22-2009, 02:49 AM
No, I like new.. But I like nimble cars, as I remember (obviously I couldn't compare them one right after the other), the previous models were.

And this is a HUGE factor why I feel this way about this car.. I just can't understand the logic behind the v8! :goodjob:

Honestly the last M3 that was somewhat nimble was out of production by mid 1999. Only the E30 was the true nimble one. The E46 was essentially the same basic platform as an E36, except with +250lbs and and entirely new/luxury/coupe GT feel, which is why it is my least favorite. The E92 is just an improvement on that, and a good one at that as the E46 SMG ran an identical time to the Evo E36 on the ring, and about 20+ seconds off the E92.
However, the CSL is where it's at, but they messed that up with SMG.

I'm a fan a fuel mileage, I love to see what I can get because the track is where I can get 3mpg and I am always commuting between La. and Ga. If it were my 65k, i'd wait for the Direct Injection Carrera S prices came down, rock out in a faster, better car that gets 30 on the highway. Although it will be hard to turn down a 30k 3 yr old M3 when a 3yr old Carrera is 2x the price. Although if that were me, I see myself daily driving 335D in the future, and not wasting 65k on a Carrera when I could bite my tongue for another year and get that GT3 for fun

Frög
05-22-2009, 03:09 AM
Honestly the last M3 that was somewhat nimble was out of production by mid 1999. Only the E30 was the true nimble one. The E46 was essentially the same basic platform as an E36, except with +250lbs and and entirely new/luxury/coupe GT feel, which is why it is my least favorite. The E92 is just an improvement on that, and a good one at that as the E46 SMG ran an identical time to the Evo E36 on the ring, and about 20+ seconds off the E92.
However, the CSL is where it's at, but they messed that up with SMG.

I'm a fan a fuel mileage, I love to see what I can get because the track is where I can get 3mpg and I am always commuting between La. and Ga. If it were my 65k, i'd wait for the Direct Injection Carrera S prices came down, rock out in a faster, better car that gets 30 on the highway. Although it will be hard to turn down a 30k 3 yr old M3 when a 3yr old Carrera is 2x the price. Although if that were me, I see myself daily driving 335D in the future, and not wasting 65k on a Carrera when I could bite my tongue for another year and get that GT3 for fun

Noted.. Not knowing the exact specs of the car, I also thought it was going to be noticeably faster than mine but I was disappointed.. Anyway, I didn't like the E92 M3.. Might be a great car, I know it outperforms the previous M's but I will never own one..

Good choices! Although I want a turbo, Carrera c2s is next on my list.. (or GT3 of course) Much better platform IMO.. :cheers:

The Youngn
05-22-2009, 09:16 AM
Nah dude, you said the car felt terrible, when it's one of the most successful club racing cars of all time, not to mention one of the best beginner track cars of all time, along with Miata's and such and best of all, not because of it's price but because of its chassis and balance.

I hated because you own a Porsche and you don't know that. It's people I love to make fun of, so much money GIVEN to you and no brain cells to be found.
What you don't realize is that people have opinions that vary from your's. Not sure whether you noticed or not yet either but I drive a Cayman and when i jumped into my friend's 944T that i drove, it didn't really compared to what I'm used to driving. My car is much more balanced and a lot more nimble. You're going to argue that I haven't driven a real race built one since you're supposed to be all hardcore track driver and shit but I don't give a fuck. My car's not built at all and feels much better than the 944.

Just because I own a Porsche doesn't mean I research every detail about every car they ever made. I don't like the 944, pretty evident. If I don't like the car, why would I waste my time and research the hell out of it like you do? You're also making yourself out to be very ignorant with your whole "money GIVEN" argument. For a person to bring that up only means they're jealous so go forth with that one. I do and have owned other businesses in which make money for myself, just in case you want to assume that a person my age HAS to have rich parents. Look who's always bragging about racing M3s all over the place. I'm pretty sure you're not funding that car and all the parts that go into it for racing through your valet job you spoke of before. So lets put that together and can only positively assume that you're GIVEN some of these things to race with.

afwfjustin
05-22-2009, 09:29 AM

I bet this guy has an automatic

1SICKLEX
05-22-2009, 01:34 PM
1. The next M3 will likely be a tt I-6 as luxury carmakers move to smaller engines.
2. We are fogetting about a car we didn't get the M3 CSL. it was lighter, with 360hp but you did lose a lot of comforts that makes the M3 such a great near super car daily driver (A/C, power seats/radio).

BMW went with a V-8 b/c for one its lighter than the V-8 in the E39 M5 and I believe the I-6 in the E46 M3. Also the RS4 and C63 and IS-F and CTS-V have V-8 power.

M has been very confused as of late. The M3 is still magnificent but now they make a 4400 lbs M6 that is more hairstylist than true GT. The M6 has done average in reviews. Instead of investing in a M3 CSL again and a M7, we now get the RIDICULOUS X6 M and X5 M, not one but TWO "M" SUVs. This is the SAME BRAND that said they will never make a SUV "M" just 8 years ago.

That said, the new M3 has grown on me tons. I would love one as the V-8 aspect does appeal to me though I prefer the looks of the E46. Make mine a white coupe with BBS LMs please.

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq117/khundon/DSC_0035.jpg?t=1240284189
http://www.ac-schnitzer.de/uploads/pics/ACS3_Sport_rear_01.jpg
http://images.eurotuner.com/images/eurp_0805_09_z+Ericsson_BMW_M480_blk_wht+side_view .jpg
http://www.webericsson.jp/bmw_e92-m3/img/wallpaper/wp_bmw_e92-m3_03.jpg
http://www.motorworldhype.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/ericsson-m480-1.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3418/3389847751_1a5f796642_b.jpg
http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj265/huntercall/94008662kj3.jpg

speedminded
05-22-2009, 03:03 PM
1) How hard did you drive it? Just like the S2000 and RX8 you have to run the piss out of the engine to get the car to go otherwise they do feel slow.

2) Explain nimble. Give me a 22' to 24' International turbo diesel rental truck and I'll sling it sideways through turns in the rain making anyone think it's "nimble". I worked at Honda with a retired DTM driver, now motorcycle racer, and he could sell the Civic SI hatchback as a high performance driving machine...

At one time I preferred the e36 over the e46, looks and feel. That soon changed.

Frög
05-23-2009, 02:44 PM
1SICKLX- I like the way it looks! That was not one of the reasons why I felt this way about this car..

1) How hard did you drive it? Just like the S2000 and RX8 you have to run the piss out of the engine to get the car to go otherwise they do feel slow.

2) Explain nimble. Give me a 22' to 24' International turbo diesel rental truck and I'll sling it sideways through turns in the rain making anyone think it's "nimble". I worked at Honda with a retired DTM driver, now motorcycle racer, and he could sell the Civic SI hatchback as a high performance driving machine...

At one time I preferred the e36 over the e46, looks and feel. That soon changed.

1) I drove it pretty hard, but not as hard as I wish, and probably not hard enough.. I guess I would need to take it on a track to tell, but again, this distrot about the E92 isn't performance based.. Also, traction control and stability were on at all times.. :gay:

2) Though it was very responsive, it felt heavier than the previous models.. I love small and light sport cars..

When Audi replaced the S4's 2.7t to the 4.2, I didn't really like it either.. But I it was understandable, the 2.7t had many reliability problems and the cost of maintenance was astronomical.. Also, it was during different times, when gas wasn't at the verge of skyrocketing prices..

I just want it to be an inline 6 turbo!

1SICKLEX
05-23-2009, 06:20 PM
^^^^ The M3 looks grew on me. At first I didn't like it but now, I like it a lot. I think you make very solid points here. Its sad people are so blind to their brand they don't see how sometimes they stray from the course.

For instance I am a loyal Lexus owner but they still refuse to build high powered manuals and I think the new styling direction on their SUVs is pretty bad. They can improve.

Frög
05-23-2009, 06:34 PM
But again, I couldn't compare them one right after the other..

Oh and BTW, I am a HUGE BMW fan.. As some of you know, my project car is a factory boosted one..