PDA

View Full Version : gapped spark plugs VS non-gapped spark plugs

ItsBlack
05-16-2009, 02:56 AM
Is there an advantage of having spark plugs that need gaping versus the lazy non-gapping ones?

Basically, one of my (NGK gapped) plugs weren't seated right and began ticking until I bolted it down. After that my car started misfiring on occastion. I went to walmart and bought some Bosch (Platinum 2's i believe) Non-gapped plugs to switch that one out to see if it would fix the problem. Which it did :) I'm just wondering what's the point of buying plugs that you have to keep gapped correctly versus buying a 'lazy' set.

Also, will it harm my car if I have 1 different plug than the rest? lol. I just switched the one and kept the other NGK's in there. "If it aint broke, don't fix it"

ItsBlack
05-16-2009, 07:26 PM
*bizump

Meatball546
05-16-2009, 07:49 PM
There's no real advantage to buying the ones with multiple prongs over buying the single prong kind except that they last longer depending on the quality of the center electrode. I have Bosch Platinum 4+s in my car (although everyone on Bimmerforums says they're not good...) and I haven't had any trouble with them.

You aren't going to damage anything by running different plug styles. I know some cars are picky about the metal composition of the spark plug, but as long as you don't notice any negative effects, you're good to go.

preferredduck
05-16-2009, 09:36 PM
There's no real advantage to buying the ones with multiple prongs over buying the single prong kind except that they last longer depending on the quality of the center electrode. I have Bosch Platinum 4+s in my car (although everyone on Bimmerforums says they're not good...) and I haven't had any trouble with them.

You aren't going to damage anything by running different plug styles. I know some cars are picky about the metal composition of the spark plug, but as long as you don't notice any negative effects, you're good to go.

not sure on the topic, but platnum 4's lasted less than 5k miles in my old si(when it had like 40k miles on it). had one burn out on 85. some cars they are good in, others they are not.

iEvo
05-18-2009, 12:29 PM
i would always gap my plugs, if 1 is way off its either going to generate a spark alot easier or harder then the other ones and may cause it to idle a lil funky

AE86Raptor
05-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Is there an advantage of having spark plugs that need gaping versus the lazy non-gapping ones?

Yes, the difference is it's more work. But seriously, they're isn't any difference other than that point. I've always ran the "pregapped" plugs and even then I would check them because a lot of times they aren't correct. But I would however run the same plug in all the cylinders simply because you can have your engine not run as well, because of the different plug. Also, are you running 3 NGK copper core plugs and a Bosch +2 Platinum tipped? I would run what factory called for unless you have upgraded the engine and the ignition system.

AnthonyF
05-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Only Platinum plugs don't need gapping.

-Ant.

Total_Blender
05-18-2009, 04:41 PM
All of my engines have called for conventional copper plugs so thats what I put in them.

I can't stand platinum plugs, from a performance standpoint they suck completely compared to copper. When you look at the tip you see that tiny sliver of platinum surrounded by the insulator... thats the size of your spark. Compare it to the amount of exposed metal on the electrode of a copper plug.

Platinums burn hotter and thats not always good. They burn hotter so that they won't foul as quickly, which is great for the purpose of having a long service interval. But when it comes to the actual heat range and size of the flame kernel that works best for the engine, platinums may not be the best choice. Having too hot or too cool of a plug can effect your timing.

I've never known of anyone who was satisfied with the multi-electrode platinum plugs (splitfire/+2/+3/+4 etc). When I worked at the parts store we had so many people buy them and return them (because of power loss and running like crap) that I started telling people not to buy them unless they were the specified OEM plug for their engine.:goodjob:

In a nutshell, unless you're running crazy high compression or boost the OEM spec plugs are probably best for your engine.

AE86Raptor
05-19-2009, 12:52 AM
The point of the platinum plugs is that they burn hotter to burn all the fuel up and because of the longer service interval. All plugs can have their gap (re)adjusted, not just copper core. I've adjusted them before with no issues. I've switched to copper core (OEM is double platinum single electrode) because of the MSD ignition system and the higher compression.

SHOWTYPE5
05-21-2009, 04:22 PM
If you run a ignition box or boost then there is a advantage of running plugs you can gap.... plug gap can make a advantage or disadvantage..... you don't need to much or to little.