PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods A Different Approach to the Turbo Manifold

teh_mugen18
05-15-2009, 04:35 PM
B series;

Id like to go ahead and make an attempt at getting a second exhaust manifold and cutting it to fit and weld a turbo flange onto it. This seems like an okay idea to me, BUT G2ic.com's turbo guide says that this idea won't work.

Link: http://beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html#Manifold

I really dont see why this idea wouldnt work, because its all metal and can definitely be welded together to fit, and the only thing i can think of as to why it wouldnt work is maybe because of what the turbo placement might be after its all setup...(could be in a bad position, clearance issue, etc.)

Any other thoughts/ideas on this?:thinking:

turbob20
05-16-2009, 01:24 AM
if its tubular material its wall thickness has to be thicker and able to support the weight of the turbo its self and withstand the bumps and bangs from the roads as well. small tubing cracks from this kind of extreme heat and abuse.

teh_mugen18
05-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Ohh, well how thick is the B series exhaust manifold?

SiRed94
05-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Yeah they are kinda right. Because if you cut a stock manifold off and then weld a turbo flange to it, the turbo will sit so low that you will most likely not be able to drain oil back into the pan. With d-series and hf,cx manifolds etc it is possible. If you are looking for a cheap ass alternative or something, just build a log style manifold. You can go to certain piping companies and buy pre-bent 90's etc.

teh_mugen18
05-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Yeah they are kinda right. Because if you cut a stock manifold off and then weld a turbo flange to it, the turbo will sit so low that you will most likely not be able to drain oil back into the pan. With d-series and hf,cx manifolds etc it is possible. If you are looking for a cheap ass alternative or something, just build a log style manifold. You can go to certain piping companies and buy pre-bent 90's etc.

I was also thinkin about doing this, but i dont know where i would get the B-series head flange from

SiRed94
05-16-2009, 04:23 PM
I was also thinkin about doing this, but i dont know where i would get the B-series head flange from

You can usually find them on Ebay. But you can get a donor manifold and cut the runners off, grind everything down flat and use that as well.

slow_hatch
05-16-2009, 04:26 PM

Plenty of places sell them, just search. The stock exhaust manifold is cast, which makes it hard to weld a steel flange to.

1NonlyAccord
05-17-2009, 10:31 AM
sorry to thread jack;
But would a equal length tubular mani yeild more power than a cast mani with the wastegate only running off 2 runners?

iEvo
05-17-2009, 01:33 PM
if u know exactly what ur doin then im sure somthin like that could be done. but companys spend tons of money on gettin their manifolds correct so it could be a long shot

bpoweredhatch
05-17-2009, 01:33 PM
just buy a cheap turbo mani and be done with it.

Crosswyse
05-17-2009, 01:35 PM
a tubular manifold will yield more power in the top end. but if you are running low boost numbers you would have a little quicker spool with a log style cast manifold. Also if you plan on cutting a flange off make sure its not a cast manifold. There is alot more involved in welding cast than just running the beads.

In reference to the WG on one or more of the runners. If the wastgate is located in the collector then it allows more of the exhaust gasses to evacuate more evenly, and keeps the turbulence down near the entrance to the turbine housing. If you are running a larger turbo with low boost then it is almost mandatory to put it in the collector to minimize boost creep.

hope this helps

turbob20
05-17-2009, 03:54 PM
mandrel-bends.com has everything including flanges,weld els made of scedule 10 for log manifolds,turbo flanges ,head flanges,mandrel exhaust, innercooling what ever just give it a look trust me there great.

teh_mugen18
05-17-2009, 08:20 PM
The stock exhaust manifold is cast, which makes it hard to weld a steel flange to.

One of my friends was telling me that in order to really get good penetration between the metals is that i should bevel them down before i take the pieces to the welder, and then it would be strong enough to hold everything nicely.

I guess it would also limit me to getting turbochargers only if they have an internal wastegate too...

y-49
05-17-2009, 08:55 PM
wow!!! ebay. look if u are looking for a cheap way out u can get a log type mani for alot cheaper than building your own manifold. just search there is alot of support for the ls engine. asuming this is all for the da in your sig