PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Motorcyle Endorsement (License) in Georgia

Tarzanman
09-29-2005, 10:57 PM
I just typed this out in response to a thread on another forum... but thought that some of the cagers (cage = car in motorcycle speak) might appreciate information on what's involved in getting a motorcycle license. A mod might want to sticky this (if deemed worthy).

--

In order to get a motorcycle endorsement on your license, in addition to a road test, you have to pass a 40 question multiple choice test (20 questions on road signs - freakin easy... 20 questions on motorcycle riding and safety - easy, but tricky if you haven't read the rider's manual (http://www.dds.ga.gov/docs/forms/MotorManual.pdf)). Not-so-coincidentally... this is the same test that you take in order to obtain your motorcycle learner's permit... so you could go in for your permit first and decide to road test later... or do it all in one shot. Getting the permit costs $10, which I guess you can save if you do it all at once. Either way, you *will* be charged money for your endorsement. It costs just as much as a normal driver's license, so make sure you bring cash (not all GA DMV's have credit card readers yet).

A few points:
-A motorcycle learner's permit is obtained by successfully completing two 20-question multiple choice tests. One test is on road signs (law) and the other is on riding safety (riding habits/alchohol... covered in the rider's manual).

-A motorcycle learner's permit permits has the following restrictions
.No riding at night
.No riding on highways
.No riding with a passenger

-The state of Georgia does *not* have tiered licensing for motorcycles. This means that you can test on a tiny 125cc dual sport and still be legal to ride a 1.3 Liter Hayabusa super crotch rocket (this however, is *not* reccomended if you are fond of not-dying)

-The motorcyle 'road test' is actually administered on a closed course (usually a parking lot), and does *not* involve riding in traffic.

-IMPORTANT!- When you are ready to take your road test... MAKE AN APPOINTMENT to do so by calling up the DMV Reservations phone number (listed on this page (http://www.dds.ga.gov/Contact/index.aspx)). This will allow you to arrive at the DMV and start getting processed within 5 minutes or less. The best time to reserve is 9AM on saturday because they usually let appointments/reservations in before they open the doors for the general public. The alternative is to wait in line for an hour and then wait for a DMV worker to become available to test you on the course. Few things suck worse than waiting in line at the DMV (...maybe waiting in line at the social security office is) Make sure that you bring proof of insurance, and some ID (like your GA driver's license).

As for the test itself, there are four sections

1. Bike inspection - You pull up to the test administrator and she/he checks to see if your blinkers, brake lights, and headlight function properly as well as look at your bike to make sure its roadworthy.

2.Starting and stopping - Basic linear control
You bring the bike up to ~12-18 mph in a 14 inch-wide lane, ride past a first green line (without braking) and then stop it as close to a second green line about 30-40yd away. You are NOT supposed to lock up the brake on *this* part of the test.

3.Turning and steering - lateral movment, balance, and control
First, you have to ride your bike through a tight 90 degree right hand turn marked off by 2 sets of lines on the pavement. You must keep the bike between two lines without letting either wheel roll over them. The initial part of the turn is about 3ft wide, but the second part that you turn into is about 2ft wide. This is probably the trickiest part of the test. You are NOT allowed to put your feet down, but you are allowed to take the turn at any speed you wish.
-The next task in this part of the test is riding the bike through 2 sweeping turns (meant to test leaning/balance). You accelerate and take the bike around 45 degree lane that arcs (first to the left and then back through in the opposite direction to the right). The lane is about 4 ft wide and you are encouraged to take the turns as fast as you safely can. This part is the easiest, but the closed course is so short that as soon as you get up to speed, you have to make sure that you don't lean the bike too hard cuz the arc isn't all that long.

4.Stopping and swerving - This is the part of the test where you should *forget* what you have learned about not locking the brakes up. They set up a light with 3 signals on it. One light is to the left, one is to the right and the one on top in the middle is red for stop. It is remotely controlled by the test administrator. You ride down the same 14 in wide lane from earlier in the test and watch the light to see which signal the instructor triggers. If the left or right lights come on then you are supposed to swerve as far as you can in those directions. Your performance on the swerves is measured by how far to the left/right your back wheel crosses a green line. Obviously, you are not to brake until AFTER you have swerved (lest you drop the bike).
If the middle/stop light comes on then LOCK the brake(s) as FAST as you can and stop immediately on a dime without losing control of the bike. I failed this part of the test the first time I took it because I'd been taught to not lock the rear wheel (which is what i thought they were looking for). The farther past the green line you stop, the worse. Most people pick up most of their points against them on that part of the road test.
You have to stop or swerve a cumulative four times to complete this portion of the test

...And that is the test in a nutshell. They give you points for performing badly on the different skills. If you get more than the allowable points for any of the sections then you automatically fail. They don't give you your points until after the test is over. Make sure that you show up with a helmet and decent gear if you have it (long sleeves, pants required). However, i would leave any gloves at home cuz you'll do better with just your barehands controlling the throttle.

Please note: You can avoid having to road test at the DMV by passing an MSF-approved Beginer's Riding Course (like the one they offer at Honda in Alpharetta... visit http://www.msf-usa.org to find one in your area. As I understand it, the MSF class test is almost identical to the GA DMV test except that at MSF they drill you with 'practice' on the exercises before you take the test. The only downside to MSF BRC (beginner's riding course) is that it costs about $250 and eats up most of your weekend (18 hours over 3 days). Still, the class is well worth it and highly regarded. If you pass the MSF test, you are mailed a certificate which you can bring to the DMV to obtain a class M (motorcycle) endorsement.

Links:
Georgia Motorcycle Rider's Manual (http://www.dds.ga.gov/docs/forms/MotorManual.pdf) (in order to pass mutliple choice written test)
Georgia DMV Contact Phone numbers (http://www.dds.ga.gov/Contact/index.aspx) (including appointments and reservations phone number)
Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) (http://www.msf-usa.org) - To find a Beginner's Riding Course in your area
http://riftwave.net/misc/gspix.jpg (My sweet first, and current bike, '89 Suzuki GS500 with '04 body mod)

David88vert
09-30-2005, 06:25 AM
Good post. Only one thing to note.

-IMPORTANT!- When you are ready to take your road test... MAKE AN APPOINTMENT to do so by calling up the DMV Reservations phone number (listed on this page (http://www.dds.ga.gov/Contact/index.aspx)). This will allow you to arrive at the DMV and start getting processed within 5 minutes or less. The best time to reserve is 9AM on saturday because they usually let appointments/reservations in before they open the doors for the general public. The alternative is to wait in line for an hour and then wait for a DMV worker to become available to test you on the course. Few things suck worse than waiting in line at the DMV (...maybe waiting in line at the social security office is) Make sure that you bring proof of insurance, and some ID (like your GA driver's license).

This will work at Toccoa, but does not always work at Gainesville. The Gainesville tester is lazy and will wait until 2-3 in the afternoon before he starts testing - even if you have an appointment for 9am. This has happened multiple times. I recommend against taking the test at Gainesville. The drive to Toccoa is worth it.

MSTANGSALEEN
09-30-2005, 09:49 AM
Yea I rode for like a year or so and then went to do the written test,omg I didnt read the book and was trckey,so I faield and then read it took it and passed. Also yes GOTO TOCCOA!!!! Call to make an appt first though!

HiPSI
09-30-2005, 10:50 AM
If the middle/stop light comes on then LOCK the brake(s) as FAST as you can)

bad bad bad words of advice, i don't care what the DMV says. if you can't stop fast without locking up the brakes then you have more learning to do. if you lock the front brakes not only will you fail the test you will have new battle scars on yourself and the bike. the point of emergency braking is to remain in control, not go slding the rear around like a supermoto rider ;).

Tarzanman
09-30-2005, 11:18 PM
bad bad bad words of advice, i don't care what the DMV says. if you can't stop fast without locking up the brakes then you have more learning to do. if you lock the front brakes not only will you fail the test you will have new battle scars on yourself and the bike. the point of emergency braking is to remain in control, not go slding the rear around like a supermoto rider ;).

You didn't read my post very carefully. My advice is to lock the brake on that last section of the road test. I didn't say anything about riding on the street. Unless you lock the brake for the DMV road test, then you WILL NOT PASS IT. 'Babying' the brake at such a low speed will make your cumulative stopping distance too far to pass. Trust me. This is what happened the first time that I took the DMV road test... and the test adminstrator told me as much after it was over. The e-stop (as far as the DMV is concerned) is more a test of your reflexes than anything else.

What you said leads me to believe that you probably haven't taken the DMV road test. I locked the brake as hard and as quickly as I could on my second time around (when I passed). My bike probably slide about 2 inches, if at all due to the very low speed you will be going at (between 12-18mph). If you can't maintain control of your bike in such a minute skid then you aren't a skilled enough rider to have an endorsement.

HiPSI
10-01-2005, 10:52 PM
my point is that locking the rear brake doesn't stop you any faster. if you have to lock your brake to stop from 12-18mph then you are the one with issues. i can stop my bike very quickly without locking anything, and i've never heard of anyone else ever having to induce a skid even for a short distance to pass the test. i have personally not taken the test, partially due to laziness and partially because i don't need the full license for where/when/how i ride.

and i'm a highly unskilled rider, i assure you. i just took my training wheels off last week.

David88vert
10-02-2005, 12:24 AM
You do have to lock up the back tire for the test. It's definately the dumbest part of the test. Makes absolutely no sense at all, but is mandated by the state.

HiPSI is a good rider, and could easily pass the test if he decided to take it.

HiPSI
10-03-2005, 03:02 PM
You do have to lock up the back tire for the test. It's definately the dumbest part of the test. Makes absolutely no sense at all, but is mandated by the state.

HiPSI is a good rider, and could easily pass the test if he decided to take it.

thanks for the vote of confidence, i've just never ever heard anyone else speak of some mandatory lockup of the rear brake for the test. i've asked plenty of people about the ins/outs of it and i would think someone would have said something if it were a mandatory item. i know i can stop my bike a lot quicker without dragging the back tire.

Tarzanman
10-04-2005, 12:36 AM
I wasn't saying that HiPsi *couldn't* pass the test. I'm saying that he probably hasn't due to his disbelief in what I said it was like (in regard to the e-stops)

I agree with HiPsi that its theoretically possible to stop faster without dragging the back tire.... the problem is that doing so isn't practical (or very easy if you want to pass) at the low speeds on the DMV road test. Basically, you barely skid at all at the low speeds on the course and you won't drag your back tire.

I squeezed both brakes as hard as I could as soon as I saw the stop light flash on.... and I skided like maybe 2 inches or so. If you ever do take the road test, then think of that portion as a relfexes test instead of a safe stopping maneuver test.... it will make things go a lot smoother.

YokotaS13
10-07-2005, 07:38 PM
its not theoretical, its is a fact you can stop somethign faster without inducing a skid period.

Tarzanman
10-09-2005, 08:30 PM
Alright. Go take the road test and prove me wrong. If you pass the e-stop portion without immediately locking both your brakes then I'll change my original post.

As I have already said. I know the physics involved. David88Vert and I have already taken the same road test and come to the same conclusion. If you think our first-hand, practical, real world experience with the GA DMV motorcycle road test is wrong then I cordially invite you to prove us wrong.

David88vert
10-09-2005, 09:09 PM
Alright. Go take the road test and prove me wrong. If you pass the e-stop portion without immediately locking both your brakes then I'll change my original post.

As I have already said. I know the physics involved. David88Vert and I have already taken the same road test and come to the same conclusion. If you think our first-hand, practical, real world experience with the GA DMV motorcycle road test is wrong then I cordially invite you to prove us wrong.

Actually, they make you lock just the rear brake, not the front. Locking the front can send you down. The point of the test is to prove that you can make a panic stop with dropping the bike.

I do not recommend locking the tires up on the street, but you will have to lock the back tire in order to get your GA endorsement. That is a fact.

YokotaS13
10-09-2005, 11:43 PM
my rear tire doesnt lock, at all, and i passed

Tarzanman
10-10-2005, 07:25 AM
ABS is a different story. 98% of the bikes out there don't have that feature.

YokotaS13
10-10-2005, 09:36 AM
i have an enduro

rickgiblin
10-10-2005, 03:36 PM
im gonna need to take this test soon

YokotaS13
11-01-2005, 06:37 PM
Just wanted to reinforce, You DO NOT HAVE TO SKID YUOR REAR TIRE!! I took the test again( some SC doesnt haev the standards GA does etc) a month ago, adn never touched my rear brake and passed with a 100%

Jaimecbr900
11-07-2005, 06:35 PM
I've had my full license for years and also didn't have to lock my back tire (if memory serves me correct)

Also, back when I took the test, there was in fact a tiered system. 2 steps + tricycle only. 500cc or less, 500cc or more, and trike.

Is it not that way anymore????

***EDIT****

Just looked on my license and atleast back in 2002 (when I renewed my license last) there was some sort of tiered system because on the back of my license under the "restrictions" part, it said (now it's faded) that I'm allowed to ride 500cc's and over. :confused:

David88vert
11-07-2005, 08:09 PM
As far back as 1999, there was no tiered system - only Class M and MP. I don't know about earlier than that. I have the GA MOM here next to me.

When I took the exam, you did have to lock up the rear tire. According to the MOM, the reason is, "if you accidentally lock the rear brake on a good traction surface, keep it locked until you have completely stopped. Even with a locked rear wheel, you can control the motorcycle on a straightaway if it is upright and going in a straight line."
I do not recommend this, just the GA Dept of Public Safety does.

Jaimecbr900
11-07-2005, 08:33 PM
I just looked it up, and it does say that there isn't a tiered license. So I stand corrected. My license does say that about 500cc and over though. :confused: