PDA

View Full Version : how hard it is it to swap a motor?

blacknightteg
05-14-2009, 11:03 PM
seriously, i wandering how hard it it is to swap a b20 into my car. i really don't know where else to go. i honestly dont want to get raped in labor charges either to be honest with you. but yeah how hard is it or whom do you all suggest i talk to.

G.C
05-14-2009, 11:33 PM
It is not hard at all. If you have common sense, and some set of tools, you'll be good to go.

blacknightteg
05-14-2009, 11:35 PM
i really want to do it myself. but i just dont know how hard it will be. i mean i want to learn how to do it thought. but yeah. i guess its just cause i have never done it before.

Homer Simpson
05-14-2009, 11:39 PM
I easy, dude. Seriously, I know it can be intimidating at first, but do some research, get some nice tools, and a buddy or two, you'll be good to go.

Hardest thing for me is the wiring...

I did a buddy's car with a couple of friends in 1 night. Got it running the next morning.

Homer Simpson
05-14-2009, 11:46 PM
Here's the steps that I did when I did my swap and my buddies:

1. Drain coolant, tranny fliud, oil (you ain't got to do oil)

2. Break axle nut (32mm)

3. Jack up car and break lower ball joint.

4. Swing hub assembly outta way and pull the axles out. (may need pry bar)

5. Take shift linkage off (including B***h pin)

6. Take off lower mounts and tranny mount and detatch header from cat. (Last thing to do under car)

7. Take all vaccum hoses off, wiring, throttle body cable, clutch line, ac, upper and lower radiator hoses.

8. Secure hoist to tranny and screw a bolt to the rear of the motor and support the motor with no slack.

9. Take off driving side mount and tranny mount and raise the thang out. You're done.

There's more little details that you'll run through, but thats the meat of it.

Barefoot
05-15-2009, 12:02 AM
not hard at all if u have some mechanical experience.

Theycall_Metue
05-15-2009, 07:51 AM
its mainly mounts and engine harness

blacknightteg
05-15-2009, 08:17 AM
ugh. i am wanting to get this shit done quick and soon. but i dont really have tools to do it. let alone space!

Barefoot
05-15-2009, 08:26 AM
ugh. i am wanting to get this shit done quick and soon. but i dont really have tools to do it. let alone space!then u need for fork over the cash. if u do getting it done quick will not ever be an option. ive seen to many noobs do swaps thinking its just some mounts and wires. then i get a call to come bail there ass out.

blacknightteg
05-15-2009, 08:33 AM
oh yeah no, i had tee intention of at least having someone there that new what they were doing to help me. there is no way i am doing it by myself first time. i just dont knwo of anyone close around here. espeically if i am getting my engine from NAD i really dont have that much of a way to transport it. i can get a truck. but i dont have a hoist or anything.

Homer Simpson
05-15-2009, 09:03 AM
you can rent a hoist. Thats what I did.

preferredduck
05-15-2009, 10:03 AM
oh yeah no, i had tee intention of at least having someone there that new what they were doing to help me. there is no way i am doing it by myself first time. i just dont knwo of anyone close around here. espeically if i am getting my engine from NAD i really dont have that much of a way to transport it. i can get a truck. but i dont have a hoist or anything.

engine hoist and a couple of friends to help pull it and some mechanical knowledge is a plus. my brother and i have done a few swaps and it can be not so quick sometimes(fuckin geo metro"s) but the hatch in my sig we put the swapped the motor no problem. where do you live?

blacknightteg
05-15-2009, 10:04 AM
i live in gwinnett.

ls-r teg
05-16-2009, 08:19 AM
yea i seen u around b 4 i saw ur car at the libary on 5 fork b 4 i think? if u dont have a hoist get a deisel ass jack and drop the car on the motor

blacknightteg
05-16-2009, 09:07 AM
i aint goin to go through all that trouble.

Master Shake
05-16-2009, 11:13 AM
really, if you got the right tools, and have a pretty good idea of what you are doing, its not that hard.

hardest part, IMO would be bolting the block to the tranny.

blacknightteg
05-16-2009, 11:15 AM
hmm....i just dunno.

XanRules
05-16-2009, 12:01 PM
I'll help. Never done a Honda motor before, but it's all the same.

preferredduck
05-16-2009, 09:41 PM
really, if you got the right tools, and have a pretty good idea of what you are doing, its not that hard.

hardest part, IMO would be bolting the block to the tranny.

or do it out of the car and have a swivel on your hoist and an extra hand. i always bolt the tranny on and drop it in whole. it's all about the angle. you are correct the right tools and even a haynes manual would be good. taking the old out and putting the new in i would recommend extra hands for that.

blacknightteg
05-16-2009, 09:43 PM
of course. i will see. i might have someone do it for me. but i will try and watch and help as much as i can to learn and what have you

preferredduck
05-16-2009, 11:38 PM
of course. i will see. i might have someone do it for me. but i will try and watch and help as much as i can to learn and what have you

my brother taught me alot, even how to build a motor that didn't blow up after 10000 miles and watched a friend at a shop do a lot of motor swaps. after my brother arrived back in GA with his tools it was on. i may have a friend that has a shop that could be used for a weekend and he could show you/help. he is the one with the b20 in his DA.

BABY J
05-16-2009, 11:41 PM
1) remove old motor

2) insert new motor

DONE!

blacknightteg
05-16-2009, 11:44 PM
my brother taught me alot, even how to build a motor that didn't blow up after 10000 miles and watched a friend at a shop do a lot of motor swaps. after my brother arrived back in GA with his tools it was on. i may have a friend that has a shop that could be used for a weekend and he could show you/help. he is the one with the b20 in his DA.

ah i gotcha, that might be a good thing.

preferredduck
05-17-2009, 10:16 PM
1) remove old motor

2) insert new motor

DONE!

it sounded that simple to me the first time i did it. but your right really. thank goodness i got to pull a few motors out of a few cars and not have to drop one back in, that way when i messed up it did not matter.

JDMJAYDC2
05-17-2009, 10:23 PM
ive done 4 now to date its really not that hard remove everything attached to the motor in the engine bay then use the hoist and lift it out my advice is spend a couple of saturdays at the pull a part and practice taking a motor out i cant tell you how much ive learned about taking stuff apart at a pull a part. its always better to break something on a car nobody cares about than to do it on your only dd

SixSquared
05-17-2009, 10:25 PM
RWD cars are way easier than FWD, but all in all, it's mainly a matter of remembering what you unplug/unbolt. For me it's always the little things when the new motor is in... some little random connector that I forgot to re-connect. To me, the most frustrating thing is when the old motor is all nice and loose and you're cranking on it with the cherry picker, and the car just doesn't wanna let it go lol. Some hose or line or wire holding the whole thing in.

My best advice I can give you is do a google search and find a factory service manual for your car. It will walk you through engine removal and replacement. And it's worth the time and/or money to either print it yourself or have it printed and bound so that you can have it with you in the garage/driveway/wherever you pull the engine and don't have to keep running back and forth between the car and the computer to figure out what you did or didn't do.

Captain-Obvious™
05-18-2009, 12:37 AM
we might be able to do it at my house...as long as you let me keep your LS

404 THE DC4
05-18-2009, 01:15 AM
if yalll doing swap any day, holla at me. id like to come over n watch yall.. so i will be ready to do k swap in the future.

civicracer5000
05-18-2009, 08:16 AM
I have done a couple of swaps myself and have an engine lift and I'm gonna say honda bolt on swaps are the easiest. of course you got to have the right tools for it. if you need help let me know.

preferredduck
05-18-2009, 05:36 PM
ive done 4 now to date its really not that hard remove everything attached to the motor in the engine bay then use the hoist and lift it out my advice is spend a couple of saturdays at the pull a part and practice taking a motor out i cant tell you how much ive learned about taking stuff apart at a pull a part. its always better to break something on a car nobody cares about than to do it on your only dd

AMEN to that one.

93Altima
05-18-2009, 05:38 PM
I thought it was REALLY easy, sounds like it, but when you come to the point to do it. It's NOT hard but it will be stressing when you're doing it the 1st time. Get a few buddies and do it.

Pm me when you're doing it and I'll see, I live in Gwinnett too.

SUBY_RUE
05-18-2009, 05:44 PM
Honestly, The hard part is getting the pin out of the shift linkage. Buy a good punch for that part of the swap. O ther than that, it is pretty straight foward. Make sure you have a socket big enough to take the cv's out...

punkr6
05-18-2009, 06:00 PM
if youre going from a Ls to a b20 you need to swap the intake manifold also....