PDA

View Full Version : Power Mods 1990 talon tsi

fabulous
05-12-2009, 08:58 PM
i just bought a talon awd turbo and its acting up at 2000 rpm. it sounds like it has launch control.. but if i hit the gas real hard it passes through there with no problem, if the rpm drops to 2000 rpm at any ttime while driving it feels like a power cut my ignition or fuel.. i think its that sensor in the air filter box... mas airflow.. is there any way i can by pass it... i seen turbo upraded one online without it.. just trying to get some pointers...

:goodjob:
thanx for all the help people i'm trying to get the sensor and the ecu... thanks for all the pointers also... here are soe pics.. its kinda oily and dirty now becasue of all the work i been doing.. here goes.....
:love:

tinkolby_25
05-12-2009, 10:10 PM
the only way to ever bypass maf is to get a standalone ems which is expensive

Motivation
05-12-2009, 11:03 PM
i just bought a talon awd turbo and its acting up at 2000 rpm. it sounds like it has launch control.. but if i hit the gas real hard it passes through there with no problem, if the rpm drops to 2000 rpm at any ttime while driving it feels like a power cut my ignition or fuel.. i think its that sensor in the air filter box... mas airflow.. is there any way i can by pass it... i seen turbo upraded one online without it.. just tryhing to get some pointers...:love:

Do you have safc2 or anything? Do you have a wideband?

fabulous
05-13-2009, 10:13 AM
no its totally stock, i just bought it and it started acting up. i want to upgrade the turbo kit but i need to fix that problem first... do u think that sensor is whats causing it to do that?

turbomirage
05-13-2009, 06:38 PM
You do not need an AEM EMS to not run a MAF. You have a few options -

1. If your ECU is Eprom, then you can get it chipped to not run a 1G MAF, and instead run a 2G MAF. They flow alot more air than a 1G MAF and are a good upgrade.
2. You can run a GM MAF and a MAF translator to eliminate the stock MAF.
3. You can run a good piggyback, like DSM Link or get a SAFC to help tune your MAF better. DSM Link is not that expensive, you can get V2 for $450. It is not bad considering what you can do with it, for a DSM.

Ideally, you want to get the DSM Link to help tune your car. But if you don't have that much money at first, then buy a GM MAF and a MAF translator to solve your problem.

So you are running stock boost? And have you checked your spark plugs and see what the gap is on them? You need to be running a .28 gap on them for a stock-low boost level. Check it out and let us know.

Motivation
05-14-2009, 01:00 AM
I would go about .32 on the gap... That's what I was running and I ran 20 psi daily. Most of my other buddies that have boosted cars run low .30s also. his car is also a 90 so the ECU is eprom.

Unless you plan on upgrading more than just a few things, I would just get it to run the 2g maf. If you plan on upgrading a good bit, I would get dsmlink (they actually say they are calling it something else, the new version of it, but it is around $500) then you won't need a translator when you run a gm maf because it does it for you. You can also set up everything about your car with it.

If it was spark plug issue, I believe it would get worse whenever you hit boost. You say though, if you hit the throttle hard it goes through the RPM's fine, right? So, is it just at light throttle around low RPMs?

fabulous
05-14-2009, 08:42 AM
YEAH, i bought new plugs .. never gapped them though.. but it goes throught the rpm smooth after 2000 rpm.. the check engine lights flashes sometimes a 2000rpm when it stutters.. so the gm MAF has the same plug connection? or will i need to cut and splice?

eraser4g63
05-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Possibly a bad ground some where. Rx-7s have a hesitation and it is usually a ground issue. Look at them and see if any look kinda shitty ( frayed wires, poor contact that kinda thing)

fabulous
05-14-2009, 10:43 PM
aiight

Motivation
05-15-2009, 12:51 AM
Got this from VFAQ.com... Check out the site!

My car stumbles/misses when accelerating. Is there a fix?
This is usually poor ignition, caused by:

bad, incorrect, platinum or poorly gapped spark plugs
bad or loose plug wires
bad ignition coil
bad transistor pack
Try swapping each one out until you fix the problem. Testing the components may or may not reveal the problem; many people have had components (especially wires) test ok, but perform badly on the car. Plug wires may also be loose in the coil pack, although they may look fine.

Other possible causes include a bad battery connection (or bad battery), leading to poor power to the fuel pump; misaligned timing belt; excessively high airflow through the 1G MAS, leading to 'missed' counts; incorrect routing of the vacuum hoses on the throttle body (there was a mistake in a shop manual somewhere); decaying of the ECU capacitors (a must read - go here for details); worn camshaft lobes (normally only a possible problem on certain aftermarket parts called Web Cams); or (in at least one case) a broken thermostat.

fabulous
05-16-2009, 01:50 AM
ok thanks man i'ma try that tomorrow!!

koi
05-16-2009, 02:17 AM
I'm willing to bet that Motivation is close to being dead on. Of course, I had a hard time reading what you said.

ItsBlack
05-16-2009, 02:46 AM
have you tried spark plug wires? ive seen a similar but backwards problem on mx6.com where it would sputter after 3k rpm.

FasTech
05-16-2009, 04:15 AM
I'm willing to bet that Motivation is close to being dead on. Of course, I had a hard time reading what you said.

I'm about 99% Motivation listed everything possible. I remember his giving him a hell of a time. Just try everything Motivation said and I'm sure you'll get it figured out.

browningboy7
05-16-2009, 04:18 AM
Mine did the same thing, Replaced the coil packs and all was well...

Motivation
05-16-2009, 08:54 AM
I'm about 99% Motivation listed everything possible. I remember his giving him a hell of a time. Just try everything Motivation said and I'm sure you'll get it figured out.

Yeah, one time mine ended up being a fouled out spark plug. The second time it was an injector plug that popped off. But what it would actually be doing is when I hit boost or 2.5k and higher it would stutter because it was causing it to try to spark faster, and it couldn't, resulting in the "stumbling".

Either way, good luck with it. Let us know if that works. :goodjob:

turbomirage
05-16-2009, 11:19 PM
I would go about .32 on the gap... That's what I was running and I ran 20 psi daily. Most of my other buddies that have boosted cars run low .30s also. his car is also a 90 so the ECU is eprom.

Unless you plan on upgrading more than just a few things, I would just get it to run the 2g maf. If you plan on upgrading a good bit, I would get dsmlink (they actually say they are calling it something else, the new version of it, but it is around $500) then you won't need a translator when you run a gm maf because it does it for you. You can also set up everything about your car with it.

If it was spark plug issue, I believe it would get worse whenever you hit boost. You say though, if you hit the throttle hard it goes through the RPM's fine, right? So, is it just at light throttle around low RPMs?

Yes... .32 gap would be good for him. I forget I am running a little higher boost than others... :rolleyes: But just FYI, the new DSM Link is called ECM Link.

fabulous
05-16-2009, 11:50 PM
ok.. changed the wires and it still aint do anything.lol... plugs are gapped 32... so i guess its to the coils to check tomorrow... hey i upgraded my turbo today to a 16g.. i'm oly getting 7-10 psi though.... is there anyway for me to turn the boost up...? hey i need a turbo manifold for a t3/t4 turbo.... let me know if anyone got one laying around...

turbomirage
05-17-2009, 12:04 AM
ok.. changed the wires and it still aint do anything.lol... plugs are gapped 32... so i guess its to the coils to check tomorrow... hey i upgraded my turbo today to a 16g.. i'm oly getting 7-10 psi though.... is there anyway for me to turn the boost up...? hey i need a turbo manifold for a t3/t4 turbo.... let me know if anyone got one laying around...

Yes, you can turn the boost up. You need a boost controller... either a manual or electronic. I would recommend a manual boost controller for your set-up. Also, I would look into getting a wideband to monitor your A/F. I would not run more than 15psi in that 16G on your engine, because I assume you have 450cc injectors.

I sent you a PM! :goodjob:

fabulous
05-17-2009, 12:28 AM
yeah i sill got the stock injectors..

koi
05-18-2009, 12:07 AM

Slow down there cowboy! I love dsm's more then anybody. But even i'm not that crazy to start upgrading parts when my car is having issues. Get your issues fixed first.

fabulous
05-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Slow down there cowboy! I love dsm's more then anybody. But even i'm not that crazy to start upgrading parts when my car is having issues. Get your issues fixed first.

lol.. thats the only reason i bought it was to run big boost so the little stuttering aint going to stop me from running it... but its just annoying feeling it stutter at 2000 rpm.... weather or not its fixed this cowboy is going to ride.lol.. i need a 1g MAF .. or some one sell me a 2g whol already got the conversion harness..

Motivation
05-18-2009, 04:32 PM
Why you need a manifold with a T3/T4 flange if you have a 16g on there now??? That turbo will last you a while until you start modding a good bit.

If you are going big boost, then you don't wanna go with the 1g MAF... go with the GM and ECM Link. You plan on building the motor any? I can promise you that you are going to be highly pissed by just throwing 20+PSI on it without upgrading fuel and other supporting mods...

oh btw, I have an intercooler + piping and couplings if you want to pick them up cheap. I had it on my car when I had a evo 3 16g on there.

88NaCivic
05-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Yo Motivation send me some pics of that IC and piping I might pick that up from you if
this guy doesn't want it ...

Motivation
05-18-2009, 10:41 PM
I'll lay them out and take pics for ya tomorrow, bro.

fabulous
05-19-2009, 10:09 AM
i got a intercooler.... is there a blow off already on the piping? if so i want it.... i wanna see how much this stock motor can hold.... any one got an extra block lying around.. cause i think i might need it.lol....

fabulous
05-19-2009, 10:10 AM
i had a k20 hatch before, and i had bought a t3/t4 garrett turbo kit for it..... sold the hatch and still got my turbo kit. so i am trying to eventually bolt that on

Motivation
05-19-2009, 04:57 PM
i got a intercooler.... is there a blow off already on the piping? if so i want it.... i wanna see how much this stock motor can hold.... any one got an extra block lying around.. cause i think i might need it.lol....

What kind of BOV you want?

You're not going to actually see how much the motor itself can hold unless you do fuel upgrades. You are going to run stupid lean and end up destroying the motor before it even comes close to it's full potential... But good luck.

fabulous
05-19-2009, 07:08 PM
ssq is my favourite.. hey, fuel upgrade as in fuel pump and regulator? that's enough rite? or what other fuel upgrade do they have for dsm?

Motivation
05-19-2009, 10:56 PM
I would recommend Walbro 255 fuel pump, injectors, and regulator...

go here for some BOVs. I bought my adapter from them. Good service.

http://www.dsmparts.com/customer/home.php

fabulous
05-20-2009, 12:49 AM
got the pics of your piping yet? wanna c it. i'm really interested...

fabulous
05-20-2009, 12:56 AM
u said injectors? what power are the stock ones rated for? cause i know when i had my first boosted integra with 330 hp i had these blue tops injectors in it... and if i upgrade or what upgrade can i get that will just plug up and work or will i have to retune or get some map or something on the ecu?

koi
05-20-2009, 05:38 PM
If you plan on running e85. Plan on 1000+ sized injectors. If your just going to run normal boost. 550+ should be plenty. You can also get a supra fuel pump. I prefer that one myself. It flows just a little more then the 255 and is quieter. That's what my spyder had in it.

But as far as you buying this car for big boost is all fine and good. But do you want a car that will run or a car that will end up setting in your drive way. All i'm saying is fix any and all issues the car may have and go to town after that.

Motivation
05-20-2009, 06:33 PM
If you plan on running e85. Plan on 1000+ sized injectors. If your just going to run normal boost. 550+ should be plenty. You can also get a supra fuel pump. I prefer that one myself. It flows just a little more then the 255 and is quieter. That's what my spyder had in it.

But as far as you buying this car for big boost is all fine and good. But do you want a car that will run or a car that will end up setting in your drive way. All i'm saying is fix any and all issues the car may have and go to town after that.

This sounds VERY familiar. :cry: Sad thing is that I was fixing everything on it right when I got it... Just tore the motor apart... and... lets just say... bad news. :( Cracked head FTL.

There is a difference in DSM and Honda when going with injectors... DSMs make power very easily and quickly. It's normal for a honda to be tuned at 10 psi. It's normal for a DSM to be tuned close to 20 or more... The more boost, the more fuel that is needed... I am... WAS running 680 PTE injectors in mine. They were ample for what I was doing and I was running 20psi

Motivation
05-20-2009, 06:34 PM
got the pics of your piping yet? wanna c it. i'm really interested...Sorry, someone already ended up buying them.

fabulous
05-20-2009, 09:12 PM
oh ok.. thats cool... what about if i change the injectors will i need to upgrade or retune the computer?

Motivation
05-21-2009, 05:24 AM
Well, you have a 1990 so that means your ECU is EPROM. So, the ECU is good. I would just get an safc2 or something of the sort... Or ECM Link, depending on how much you looking to spend.

1badgvr4
05-21-2009, 09:04 AM
Well, you have a 1990 so that means your ECU is EPROM. So, the ECU is good. I would just get an safc2 or something of the sort... Or ECM Link, depending on how much you looking to spend.Not all 90's are eprom. I want to write out some big speech about making a DSM go fast,but i've done it to many times. Ill just wait for it to blow up and if its awd ill go snatch it up.

1badgvr4
05-21-2009, 09:06 AM
oh ok.. thats cool... what about if i change the injectors will i need to upgrade or retune the computer? What are your goals for the car.

fabulous
05-21-2009, 01:08 PM
anything between 400- 500hp i'l satisfy with.450 is my goal..i got a afc today.. the blue and silver one...

fabulous
05-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Not all 90's are eprom. I want to write out some big speech about making a DSM go fast,but i've done it to many times. Ill just wait for it to blow up and if its awd ill go snatch it up.

i like ur spirit..lol...:rolleyes:

1badgvr4
05-21-2009, 01:31 PM
anything between 400- 500hp i'l satisfy with.450 is my goal..i got a afc today.. the blue and silver one...

You wont reach that goal unless you are running e85....You will have to upgrade that turbo.

fabulous
05-21-2009, 02:09 PM
yeah i got a t3 /t4 garrett rated for 650....

fabulous
05-21-2009, 02:13 PM
You wont reach that goal unless you are running e85....You will have to upgrade that turbo.

so e85 is a bigger turbo? what is it? still trying to learn....:???:

fabulous
05-21-2009, 02:16 PM

hey what year supra fuel pump should i get? trying to order that this weekend...

dcshoeco
05-21-2009, 02:38 PM
so e85 is a bigger turbo? what is it? still trying to learn....:???:

Man i know how you feel i was like that at first..But just be patient an read up alot with these cars cuz they are so easy to work on but but a pain in the ass when they fuck up lol.. e85 ethanol is a type of fuel

fabulous
05-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Man i know how you feel i was like that at first..But just be patient an read up alot with these cars cuz they are so easy to work on but but a pain in the ass when they fuck up lol.. e85 ethanol is a type of fuel

ok.. thanks... that setup sounds deadly... lol... ok i'ma look it up..... any forums u know about..?

Motivation
05-21-2009, 10:53 PM
ok.. thanks... that setup sounds deadly... lol... ok i'ma look it up..... any forums u know about..?

GADSM.org
DSMtalk.com
DSMtuner.com

VFAQ.com is going to be a huge friend to you as well.

Dean, I thought all 90's and 91's came with EPROM? :thinking:

fabulous
05-21-2009, 11:10 PM
THANX MOTIVATION...

koi
05-22-2009, 12:50 AM
No. Only the galant vr4's model's all had eproms. 90's, 91's and 95's had the best chance of having them. But usually it was hit our miss.

fabulous
05-27-2009, 09:26 PM
ok i got this guy called ryan in savannah to take a look at my car for me.... e figurede out that the ecu was a 1990 automatic ... and that the air flow sensor as we suspected was gone bad.. he rewired it so i could use the 91-94 ecu... so now i need a eprom ecu and a mas airflow sensor..... i took some pics of the car but need helping resizing them.. wanted to show u guys how it looked...

fabulous
05-27-2009, 09:27 PM
i added the front mount today.. had some time on my hands so i installed it...

Motivation
05-27-2009, 10:48 PM
ok i got this guy called ryan in savannah to take a look at my car for me.... e figurede out that the ecu was a 1990 automatic ... and that the air flow sensor as we suspected was gone bad.. he rewired it so i could use the 91-94 ecu... so now i need a eprom ecu and a mas airflow sensor..... i took some pics of the car but need helping resizing them.. wanted to show u guys how it looked...

Go to tinypic.com. Upload the pic to a smaller size and just copy and paste it into your post.

Glad you got the problem figured out man. GL with it.

fabulous
05-28-2009, 11:13 AM
picx added .. thanx motivation

Motivation
05-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Looks clean..

Oh, one thing to always remember. Always make sure you have the same size wheels and tires all the way around.

fabulous
06-25-2009, 10:01 AM
up for grabs now.. shoot me some offers if anyone is interested...