PDA

View Full Version : what makes a wireless connection go into the "limited connectivity" mode?

collins
05-12-2009, 09:32 AM
so my home network doesnt allow me to connect sometimes... other times its fine, and sometimes it'll go in and out of full connectivity to limited. my computer seems to be the only one thats having this problem, so are there any settings i should look at? also, even this computer does just fine on any other network i've tried, so i dont understand why my laptop just doesnt want to connect to my home network sometimes.... lol shits crazy! an help is appreciated.

mocha latte cupcake
05-12-2009, 09:34 AM
mine does the same thing with "limited connectivity" generally if you "disconnect/reconnect" for the network it will reactive to full connectivity. but honestly the limited never really seemed to both the browser, sometimes it just runs a little slower... but just close and re open and it usually seems to be fine on my end... :goodjob:

collins
05-12-2009, 10:08 AM
i try that, and sometimes it works, but most of the time it doesnt sooo... i dunno. also when mine goes limited, it doesnt let me connect to ANYTHING... its straight up pwn4g3

4dmin
05-12-2009, 03:47 PM
update your wireless drivers and see if that fixes your problem. If your router is old as dirt and you get a mew computer, that may cause the problem also. Incompatible router to your wireless card may cause that problem also.

Total_Blender
05-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Neighbors mooching your wireless and taking all your bandwidth?

DynamicSound
05-12-2009, 05:15 PM
No, what is happening is that wireless card in your laptop is not 100% compatible with the router you are using. It will connect and then will drop the signal. However, for a while it will still show you are connected but with limited connectivity...i.e. no signal.

There are several possible reason for this. One, like they said before, you need to update your wireless software. Another is if you are running an "N" router. Some laptops do not work well with N routers because they are made for B and G. This was the case with my brand new Toshiba. How did I fix it? I first bought an USB N Wireless adaptor that would connect to the router and would work perfectly. After that, I decided to link a G router off the N router so that my laptop is connecting to that router instead. Where all my other laptops and desktops are connecting to the N router.

Vteckidd
05-12-2009, 05:47 PM
LOL

check your modem do you have comcast?

green91
05-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Gees. Limited connectivity means that it couldn't automatically get an IP address assigned from the DHCP server. I see this most often coming out of hibernation when dhcp leases have expired and a new address hasnt been assigned or the lease reassigned. Usually doing a repair connection takes car of this. Same thing with a weak signal... windows doesn't always tell you the true status of your signal, if its to weak to get an IP from the dhcp server on the router, it goes into limited connectivity.

ttman
05-13-2009, 09:24 AM
in addition to the above advice,

-disable the broadcast feature so ur neighbors don't know/can't detect ur wireless network. u know the name of ur network, no need to broadcast it to others!
-put in a static IP address, so u don't have to wait for DHCP to give u 1.
-move your router & modem into a basement, if you have 1. this will allow them to run a LOT COOLER, resulting in much greater reliability & less signal drops.
-when u lose connectivity, browse into the router (thru a connected PC) to see if it has internet access. if it does then the wireless portion has gone down (u need to reset router). if no internet, then the problem is upstream (cable modem).

GaGen2Teg
05-13-2009, 09:41 AM
LOL

check your modem do you have comcast?

what i was thinkin comcast sucks

DynamicSound
05-13-2009, 10:30 AM
This happens on all internets. It is just his wireless device in the laptop is not 100% compatible with his router. I have DSL and the same thing was happening to me until I realized my N speed router was the problem.

collins
05-16-2009, 01:40 PM
the router is a linksys thats only a few months old. is there any way i can check to see if there's an update for the driver on my laptop?

DynamicSound
05-16-2009, 02:38 PM
the router is a linksys thats only a few months old. is there any way i can check to see if there's an update for the driver on my laptop?

What speed is the router? N, G, B? As far as the drivers, just go to the laptops manufacturer's website.

collins
05-16-2009, 02:51 PM
i think its an N

DynamicSound
05-16-2009, 04:42 PM
i think its an N

That is your problem. Your laptop has a standard G wireless card and it doesn't link all the time to the N. This is exactly what mine did. All you need is to by a N wireless card or usb adaptor or switch to a G router. I have an USB N wireless adaptor. It is brand new bought 2 weeks ago from Micro Center. I paid $39.99 plus tax. Sell it for $30.

collins
05-17-2009, 12:02 PM
you have a pm :)

collins
05-17-2009, 12:18 PM
dynamic, your pm inbox is now full, but i'll meet you at the address you gave me at 2:30. thanks for your help.

ttman
05-17-2009, 09:51 PM
N wireless routers should be backwards compatible to A/B/G devices.

DynamicSound
05-17-2009, 10:29 PM
N wireless routers should be backwards compatible to A/B/G devices.

They should be, however not all brand laptops work perfectly with it. They will link and work for a short time, then drop the connection. This will continue to happen everytime you reconnect. My new Toshiba would do this until I used a N adaptor. It worked fine all other routers...just not the N. I then tried it on another friends N router and it did the same. However, a friend used their Dell and it had no problem.

Collins bought my N adaptor so we will see if it is the fix.

KenRed
05-23-2009, 01:42 PM
When you get that Limited or no Connectivity that means one or two things. One your DHCP server on your router is not working, or your wireless device is bad. Try another device and see if it connects or not. Also check your encryption type on your router.

collins
05-27-2009, 11:25 PM
They should be, however not all brand laptops work perfectly with it. They will link and work for a short time, then drop the connection. This will continue to happen everytime you reconnect. My new Toshiba would do this until I used a N adaptor. It worked fine all other routers...just not the N. I then tried it on another friends N router and it did the same. However, a friend used their Dell and it had no problem.

Collins bought my N adaptor so we will see if it is the fix.
well tonight is the first time i've had a problem since i bought the adapter... its like my computer said "JUST KIDDIN" and didnt give me an issue for a while. so tonight, it goes in to the limited connectivity mode, so i plug the adapter in, install the driver, and get it connected... however, while it connects to my router, it still wouldnt let me online... what am i missing?