PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of The One Campaign?

b18hb
09-29-2005, 03:54 PM
Aparently its a campaign directed at eliminating global extreme poverty by dedicating one percent of the us budget to relief efforts.

www.one.org

thoughts?

b18hb
09-29-2005, 10:50 PM
this may belong in the politics section.

HEATON
10-03-2005, 05:01 PM
1% of the US budget is HELLA Dough. It be easier/better to ask every human to donate 1$, seems less controversal (sp?)

b18hb
10-03-2005, 10:07 PM
that's what i said. it'd be hard to convince people to convince a congressman to vote for this without any kind of return. ok, so a bunch of people aren't poor anymore? now what? i also didn't read anything about how long they wanted the 1% to be dedicated to it. it seems like a little bit of a pipe dream to me.

HEATON
10-04-2005, 10:59 AM
Well if ppl REALLY cared bout the needy they woudl have shit high taxes like they do here in Germany, but hey you never see a bum on the street askin for money (unless they are a drunk or non citizen). Bc all the aplied for citizens who cant work get paid very well and have housin supplied for them, but like i said 16% taxes on everything you buy, plus they get ALOT moe taken out of thei income then we do. But like i said if ppl REALLY cared, but i doubt that will ever happen.

b18hb
10-04-2005, 05:48 PM
yeah, no doubt. i don't know too much about the campaign. i don't even know how they plan to use the money to eliminate this poverty. i do think that a lot of these countries that have a greater problem than most have a couple things working against them. one of those things is the fact that many of these third world countries have revolution after revolution, dictator after dictator, and never really have an opportunity to establish themselves. to further complicate the matter, if for some reason they were able to establish a stable government, large nations pay commerical farmers to continue to produce food in surplus, leaving the smaller farmers to struggle. how can a country possibly begin to develop financially when it cannot compete in the world market? it just doesn't seem likely to succeed.